AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Title says it all, really. Many different moves, abilities, stats, and other things have changed the way they function, sometimes drastically, in the span of time since they were first introduced. What are some things you wish still functioned as they originally did?

I remembered one fun example today, the thing that inspired me to make this thread. We all know that RBY have some infamously weird and/or buggy programming here and there. It turns out that the damage counters for Toxic damage and Leech Seed damage will overlap and scale together when a Pokemon is affected by both. This means that Leech Seed will drain progressively more HP each turn, influenced by the mounting Toxic damage. This, in turn, allows the user to heal progressively more HP as time goes on. I gave my Venusaur on Blue both Toxic and Leech Seed, and when I would set up the combination against wild Chansey in Cerulean Cave I could restore a Pokemon from the red to full HP in one turn of Leech Seed damage.

Cynical Toast

gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Charlie
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Headbutting trees for encounters in the Gen 2 games was a neat little way to hide some Pokemon, I thought. It wasn't super important, and if I remember right it also didn't scale with badges so it was only useful for five minutes, but it was still fun. It was better than honey trees, that's for sure.

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
I'd like to see pokémon follow you around again in the main series games. I know the Let's Go games brought it back briefly, Sun and Moon was planned to bring it back and then they had to cut it, and it last appeared in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. I just hope that at some point I can have my favorite pokémon follow me around in an entirely new region.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I really miss the older battle facilities like the Battle Frontier and Pokémon World Tournament. They really gave casual players something to do after their journey is finished. The newer facilities just lack the variety the older ones had.

~Kilza~

The Rising Sun
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Following. Pokemon. Enough said.

Wren

Adept Trainer
The ability to transfer all Pokemon to the newest game.
Even though this makes me sad too, it would have been unrealistic to expect Pokemon games to keep supporting increasing numbers of pokemon, and I actually like how they chose to approach the issue. You have a big hub to store all of your pokemon, and you can keep them there until the next Pokemon game that uses your pokemon. Once one group of pokemon get their chance in the spotlight, they rotate to another set of pokemon to represent in the next gen. At least that's what it sounds like...

Also, I'm not a competitive person, but the way they cut down the list of available pokemon actually makes it feel easier to get into competitive, at least that's how I feel. I was always intimidated by the fact that there are >800 pokemon to consider when building a team, and if you aren't already familiar with one gen's competitive environment, it's going to be even harder once a new roster of pokemon come out. Now that more than half of all pokemon are missing from the games, I imagine tiers will get completely overhauled, and we'll start fresh with a smaller and more manageable roster.

Biohazard

Scary Monster
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria, Lycoris
Time Zone
UTC+2
  • Walking Pokémon.
  • Headbutt trees.
  • Games actually being challenging.
  • Riding on the bicycle.
  • Possibly many other things that aren't on the list.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
Dive... But outside Hoenn. The one in Unova doesn't count and it was a serious missed opportunity with Alola. I mean... I get you probably need an ocean area like Hoenn to justify it, but I love that aethestic that you're actually underwater. I'm sure you can make like a underwater tunnel or something added to the water routes for further exploration.

Double wild battles. Of course, Gen 7 brings them back with SOS, but I kinda preferred they be double battles from the start than the more annoying "call for help"... especially if you don't bother with Thunderwave and you weren't able to catch them in that one chance you had, now you had to defeat their new pal and pray the Pokemon won't flip out and call another. Goodness...

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
National Dex

Seriously though, I wish we got the Battle Frontier back. It was a great concept that I'm sad to see left.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I thought I answered this thread when it went up saying the pokéathlon, but I guess I didn't, so the pokéathlon. Like, if they made that into an entire game on its own I'd buy it.

Also it'd be nice if triple battle still existed but judging by the number of times I ran into the same person multiple times in one Battle Spot session I think I might be in the minority there. I don't even do competitive anymore, what am I complaining about?

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I miss pokemon following you around but that's not really a main mechanic, it's just nice.
Mainly I do really miss the battle frontiers, gen 3 and 4 battle frontiers were both fantastic and had so many unique mechanics! My favourite from Hoenn's is the Battle Pike, I'm a fan of that luck-based ******** what can I say. As for gen 4? Easily the Battle Castle. I don't know why the idea of managing CP is so appealing to me but it opens so many opportunities for strategy I love it!
I do miss horde battles too. Great for EV training AND shiny hunting! Satisfying to use surf and destroy them all as well.

BZWGolem

Conspirator☆
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I still want the national dex the most.

The stuff I miss includes:
  1. Rotation Battles - those were super fun and some very creative strategies could be made for them.
  2. Battle Frontier (Can't even play the old DS one online now :joyousazurill:)
  3. HARD MODE PLEASE PLEASE. BW2 in hard mode is the best game eveeeeeer.

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Some of the things that I want back were already mentioned like National Dex, PWT, Headbutting Trees but the thing that is never mentioned that I actually really enjoyed was Medal collecting from BW2.

I feel like I'm the only person that actually cared about collecting Medals but if you think about it Medals were a great way to enhance your post-game experience by trying to complete different little tasks and collect as many Medals as possible. Medal collecting extended my time playing BW2 by a lot of hours as there were a lot of medals that were actually very challenging to obtain (PWT and all the Monotype Champion Medals especially took a lot of time because of breeding and raising suitable Pokemon).
I would really like to see this forgotten feature back at some point.

Last edited:

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
EV super training ! Was really good way to EV train. Also the VS seeker that allowed you to rematch NPCs was awesome and I have no idea how it didn’t continue to future games.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
Following Pokémon! Also I loved the small creative things from BW2 like the movies and the Pokeathlon from HGSS, as well as the minigames like Voltorb Flip and the Pokewalker. I have no idea if any of those are present in the newer games, but those are the sort of things I enjoyed.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Ha, I remember seeing a meme saying how it isn't easier, but we're just getting better. As a kid I'd probably struggle with X and Y.
Went back and played HeartGold recently and that game legit has really awful pacing. For the most part you're probably right though, once you grow past the "use the attack with the biggest number" strategies all of the games get substantially easier.

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I think games were at the same difficulty pretty much but the recent game just made things faster like with the exp share. The thing that annoys me about the recent games though is the long tutorials and how they hold your hand throughout the game when they don’t need to.