Music One Hundred Song Face Off: Version Eight! "It's a new soundtrack...I could dance to this beat forevermore ❤"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Pantalea (パンタレア) by Akiko Shikata
6/10 | Quite bouncy, quite festive. i imagine this playing in a very happy party of some sort. That's the only setting I can really imagine it, I wouldn't choose to listen to it on my own. but it's still cute.

All Mixed Up by 311
4/10 | i'm so sorry, but i got bored listening to this, and had a hard time focusing. I kept forgetting I was listening to it. This song, I imagine playing at some distant relative's barbecue, or something. it's very peaceful backround music.

Waving Through a Window by Ben Platt
2/10 | is this from a musical? it's quite the performance piece.. too theatrical and flamboyantly dramatic for me and just screams Broadway.. ok ya i knew it. lyrics are relatable ya but the voice and everything else just aint doin it for me...

Tokyo House Party by Area 11
5.5/10 | im actually having a hard time figuring out what to say about this one, but i don't dislike it!

Begin Again by Purity Ring
9.5/10 | this song is downright otherworldly! purity ring has always felt that way to me.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Pantalea - Akiko ****aka: 7/10 Honestly, the very first thing I thought of when I heard this was that it sounds like it comes from a modern Disney soundtrack. It definitely lost me from time to time but I enjoyed the emotions and the singing.

All Mixed Up - 311: 3/10 I'm sad that a song which started out with such a groovy beat ended up being so boring and weird.

Waving Through a Window - Ben Platt: 4/10 Yep, that's a musical all right. I can appreciate the artistry but I think his voice could use more support and it's not something that speaks to me.

Tokyo House Party - Area 11: 8/10 Hmm, okay. It's weird, my first instinct here was to give it a more neutral rating, but I think I like it more than that? Can't put my finger on it. It's a worthwhile song for sure.

Begin Again - Purity Ring: 8/10 Nice. An impressive balance of delicate and powerful.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Pantalea - Akiko ****aka: 5/10
See I feel like this is more just my personal preference in play when it comes to this song, but I really just dislike the rhythm of this song. The interesting vocals and music choice are great, but the rhythm really messes with me and I just can't get hooked by it. Plus I don't know when this song starts or ends if I wasn't staring down a timecode. Neutral rating cause it sounded pretty, but rhythm is pretty crucial for me.

All Mixed Up - 311: 1/10
WTF was that starting. That was so fun. Until the vocals started...like god that hurt my ears. It's like they blended vocals from a different song with a genuinely good beat in the background. I just did not like this. And lol did they just STOP randomly????? Yup nothing redeeming it.

Waving Through a Window - Ben Platt: 8/10
Man the vocals really carried this song for me, but I loved the gentle sound of the piano. I feel like when it picked up, I really got into it. I can see people not liking it, but I reaaaaaally enjoyed his voice! Near the end was weird, but I ended up replaying it, so solid song!

Tokyo House Party - Area 11: 2/10
Ew what are these vocals lol. I feel like he's forcing out each word and doesn't know how to maintain them since he keeps shifting, making the song sound lopsided?? I don't even want to listen to this =.=

Begin Again - Purity Ring: 7/10
Man I loved this. Not sure what about it I liked though, I guess the pre chorus and the way it built up really sunk into me! I really enjoyed this, even though the vocals were kinda eh at first

lightmagistrate

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Cody
Pantalea - Akiko ****aka: 4/10 It was an ok song
All Mixed Up - 311: 2/10 Kind of forgot about it
Waving Through a Window - Ben Platt: 5/10 It's quite a broadway song
Tokyo House Party - Area 11: 4/10 it only took about 3 mins to say ok now
Begin Again - Purtity Ring: 4/10 It's ok

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Pantalea - Akiko ****aka: 4/10 can appreciate it for what it is but would never listen to it on my own
All Mixed Up - 311: 2/10 just plain boring
Waving Through a Window - Ben Platt: 1/10 ya this sure is a musical
Tokyo House Party - Area 11: 3/10 there something about hearing the british accent that jus makes this sound worse idk how
Begin Again - Purtity Ring: 4/10 average le angel female voice song

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Cult Classic
Pantalea - Akiko ****aka
7.5/10
I liked the melody and energy. It sounded like Chinese traditional music, though I could be stereotyping. Either way, it was varied and uplifting.

All Mixed Up - 311
5.5/10
It was nice, but my main problem with it was that the instruments were almost as loud as the vocals, so at times it was more difficult to understand the lyrics. Other than that, it just didn't stand out much.

Waving Through a Window - Ben Platt
8.5/10
Mmm I really liked this one. It's calming, pretty, energetic, with nice lyrics. I'll listen to it again after this.

Tokyo House Party - Area 11
7/10
Good energy and sound. I liked it while I was listening to it, but it didn't really leave an impression.

Begin Again - Purity Ring
3.5/10
Uh, there was nothing inherently wrong with this song, but I didn't really like how it made me feel, and I wouldn't listen to it again.

Pelion

Regular Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
❖ Round Fourteen ❖
Pantalea - Akiko ****aka
Its pretty and well arranged. I liked the instrumentation more than the vocals 5/10

All Mixed Up - 311
311 is great if your parents won't let you listen to sublime. This song is really 2000's and hasn't aged well IMO. 5/10

Waving Through a Window - Ben Platt
Bretty good. No idea what its about I'm assuming hes gay struggling to come out. It is a musical after all. 6/10

Tokyo House Party - Area 11
Awful just awful. 3/10

Begin Again - Purity Ring
Almost as good as the New Vegas 'begin again'.Very standard song I expect to hear but its not the artist fault. Superficially I liked it, but Superduperficially I can't give a group called Purity Ring higher than a 5. Cuz, ironically, purity rings are pretty gay. 5/10

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
Pantalea - Akiko ****aka - 8/10
Hey I appreciate songs with a traditional oriental twist.

All Mixed Up - 311 - 3/10
Vocals why. Instrumentals were groovy tho.

Waving Through a Window - Ben Platt - 7.5/10
This was good. I wouldn't seek it out, but I can definitely enjoy it if I hear it again.

Tokyo House Party - Area 11 - 7/10
Not bad at all!

Begin Again - Purity Ring - 9.5/10
Aaaaaaaaaand again I'm a sucker for electronic. Love the syncopation of the piano.

Last edited:

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Pantalea - Akiko Shikata: 8/10
This is fun. Sounds like good festival or celebration music.

All Mixed Up - 311: 5/10
Not really my thing, but from the other scores this got I was expecting a lot worse. Alright at best, meh at worst.

Waving Through a Window - Ben Platt: 7/10
Like with any other musical number, I wish I had more context to it. That said, I did like it, especially the singer's voice.

Tokyo House Party - Area 11: 7/10
Pretty alright, I'd say. Not much else to say.

Begin Again - Purity Ring: 5/10
Nothing really wrong with this, it's just not my style.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Akiko ****aka - Pantalea: 7/10
This sounds like something I'd hear in an anime, but it sounds real peaceful.

311 - All Mixed Up: 4/10
The sounds funky, but I'm not 100% on it. Not completely on the fence about it either, more on the side of not really feeling it.

Ben Platt - Walking Through a Window: 8/10
I really liked this song.

Area 11 - Tokyo House Party: 5/10
This is okay. I feel like it's something I'd listen to if I was working out, assuming I actually went to the gym lmao, but I don't really like the lead singer's voice.

Purity Ring - Begin Again: 5/10
This one is also okay, but I'm not really feeling her voice either.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Purity Ring goes on to the next round!

Eyes in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project: 8/10 Honestly was grooving to this the whole time. Just currently in the right mood for this song.
Deer Dance - System of a Down: 9/10 One of my favorite metal bands. SOAD is always a good time.
Good Ol' Days - Macklemore feat. Kesha: 5/10 Macklemore is always a hit or a miss for me and this song really isn't that great. At least imo.
Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters: 8/10 Mmm yes Foo Fighters. Another band I love.
Cigarette Daydreams - Cage the Elephant: 7/10 An enjoyable listen. I liked it. ^^

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Eyes in the Sky by Alan Parsons Project
9/10 | this was soothing as **** i just fell in love

Deer Dance by System of a Down
7/10 | always forget how much i love system of a down dammit. terj just too talented. not a lot of this particular song vibes with me but dam i respect it.

Good Ol Days by Macklemore ft Kesha
4/10 | huh i don't think i knew this song existed. it's cute!..but i did get bored really really quickly

Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters
3/10 | idk chief i was even more bored with this one! im sorry

Cigarette Daydreams by Cage the Elephant
8/10 | i have always really liked this song, it's so sweet and gives me such a sense of..UWU♥ this and telescope are my favorites on the album

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Alan Parsons Project - Eyes in the Sky: 8/10
I like this song. I didn't think I would at first, but as I kept listening, it grew on me.

System of a Down - Deer Dance: 3/10
I wasn't really feeling the lead singer's voice on this one.

Macklemore ft. Kesha - Good Ol Days: 9/10
This song is a mood, and I'm really feelin' it.

Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly: 7/10
This song sounds familiar, but I don't know where I've heard it before. I like it though.

Cage the Elephant - Cigarette Daydreams: 5/10
The guitar in this is a jam, but I'm on the fence about the rest.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Eye in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project: 3/10 I can see this being one of those songs that has a really neat story behind it, but as a song I'm not feeling it.

Deer Dance - System of a Down: 1/10 ...huh?

Good Old Days - Macklemore and Kesha: 10/10 That chorus hits me every time. I love the way it's sung, and the application of the piano.

Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters: 2/10 I don't understand Foo Fighters. This whole song felt flat to me, wanted it to be over a minute in.

Cigarette Daydreams - Cage the Elephant: 8/10 Honestly couldn't tell you why I like this but I do. I guess, refreshing in a quirky way?

Pelion

Regular Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
❖ Round Fifteen ❖
Eyes in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project
Very pleasant song; it belies something very heartbreaking. Great listen 8/10

Deer Dance - System of a Down
Cuh-lassic. Not hyperbolic but that's SoAD for ya!! 8/10

Good Ol Days - Macklemore feat. Kesha
Great song to roll your eyes too 2/10

Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters
I'd almost say this should be mandatory listen, but not ever would hear it desu 9/10

Cigarette Daydreams - Cage the Elephant
Ugh I was reminiscing about HS days this probably wouldn't have had such an effect on me. 7/10

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
Eyes in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project (8/10) good 80s sound
Deer Dance - System of a Down (7/10) This is one of those songs whose merit really depends on the person, I bet. While the genre isn't my favorite it is appropriate for the subject material at least
Good Ol Days - Macklemore feat. Kesha (5/10) This is a really uninteresting song compared to Macklemore's other work, but Kesha sings pretty well
Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters (5.5/10) FOund it hard to remember any of the lyrics
Cigarette Daydreams - Cage the Elephant (7/10) Consistent

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Eye in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project: 10/10
I love this song so much. The 80's sound, the meaning behind it, Alan Parsons' style, all of it just blends together to become something that perfectly clicks with me.

Deer Dance - System of a Down: 8/10
I keep forgetting about System of a Down and I don't know why, I love their stuff.

Good Old Days - Macklemore ft. Kesha: 5/10
I like Kesha here, but Macklemore is just really underwhelming to me.

Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters: 7/10
I like this but can't find much to say about it.

Cigarette Daydreams - Cage the Elephant: 7/10
See above.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Cult Classic
Eyes in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project
9/10
I had listened to this before. It's a really nice song, and while not one I listen to on my own, I do know the tune and hum along with it.

Deer Dance - System of a Down
5/10
The lyrics are kinda harsh, but the style is interesting.

Good Ol Days - Macklemore feat. Kesha
7/10
I really liked the singing and harmony, but the talking bits ruined it a little.

Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters
6/10
It was nice. Nothing that really caught my attention, though.

Cigarette Daydreams - Cage the Elephant
5/10
Eh. Neutral. The song was forgettable.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Eye in the Sky - The Alan Parsons Project: 9.5/10
This is an amazing song. The sound is really smooth and the lyrics are super solid as well. One of my all-time favorites.

Deer Dance - System of a Down: 2/10
I have never heard one heavy metal song I like. This one probably comes closest to it though, as some parts of the verses and bridge were actually quite nice. Too bad they were intermingled with god-awful noise throughout the entire song.

Good Ol' Days - Macklemore ft. Kesha: 5/10
This is a pretty song, but it's kinda unremarkable too. I like Kesha's singing though, especially in the start of the song.

Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters: 8/10
This is one classic song. Coincidentally, It's been stuck in my head ever since I heard a cover band play it at a festival last weekend. Just very solid rock music all around.

Cigarette Daydreams - Cage the Elephant: 5/10
The instrumentals are pretty, but I really dislike the singing on this song. It also drags on a bit too long. Not awful, but also not great.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Eyes in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project: 4/10 got bored but it wasn't bad
Deer Dance - System of a Down: 10/10 powerful lyrics with great instrumentals and singing to back it up
Good Ol Days - Macklemore feat. Kesha: 1/10 ajajaja ok
Learn to Fly - Foo Fighters: 3/10 never liked foo fighters but this ok
Cigarette Daydreams - Cage the Elephant: 5/10 didn't like it didn't dislike it

Status
Not open for further replies.