Music One Hundred Song Face Off: Version Eight! "It's a new soundtrack...I could dance to this beat forevermore ❤"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Congratulations - pewdiepie, Roomie, Boyinaband: 1/10 we get it you're 12
The Grey - Icon for Hire: 3/10 borin
Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper: 5/10 classic
Promises - Aly & AJ: 2/10 sounds like music that would be playing over the intercom in a dead mall
Powerhouse - Raymon Scott: 1/10 old and stinky

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Cult Classic
Congratulations - pewdiepie, Roomie, Boyinaband
3/10
Ehhh didn't hate it but yeah it's definitely not a quality song.

The Grey - Icon for Hire
6.5/10
It's nice but nothing stands out.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
7/10
Nice, good rhythm, but a little annoying at some points.

Promises - Aly & AJ
4/10
It was a little weak, as in it didn't have a lot of energy or anything that would set it apart. It was also monotonous.

Powerhouse - Raymon Scott
5/10
Um, Ok? I'm giving this a neutral score. It was all right, but nothing really memorable.

Last edited:

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
no comments today because i listened to these while preoccupied with something else

Congratulations - pewdiepie, Roomie, Boyinaband (1/10)
The Grey - Icon for Hire (4/10)
Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper (8/10)
Promises - Aly & AJ (7/10)
Powerhouse - Raymond Scott (8.5/10)

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Aly and AJ make it to the next round!

Dancing With Tears in My Eyes- Kesha: 4/10 I thought I would like this. I did not.
Red Sky At Night - David Gilmour: 4/10 Meh.
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson: 2/10 I appreciate the music however today is not a good day for my attention span so yeah.
Words - Feint (ft. Laura Brehm): 7/10 Was a nice listen.
Mountains - Hans Zimmer: 5/10 This was kind of boring.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes by Kesha
4/10 | it has a certain emotional impact to it which gives it a nice edge & identity. i didn't really enjoy it that much, but by the end i did come to sort of appreciate it as a whole.

Red Sky At Night by David Gilmour
7/10 | wooowww this was pretty... i feel like if i was in the right mood this would hit just right... not a whole lot to it though hm? it's hard to rate but i did really like it!!!

21st Century Schizoid Man by King Crimson
5/10 | pretty good ride! got rly messy tho

Words by Feint feat Laura Brehm
8.5/10 | just beautiful!!!! had high expectations after falling in love with other songs with feint & laura brehm and this rly did not disappoint

Mountains by Hans Zimmer
4/10 | neat

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes - Kesha: 8/10
I like the beat! Would have given a solid 8.5, but I'm not huge about the chorus. A fuller sound would have worked better there.

Red Sky At Night - David Gilmour - 7.5/10
V atmospheric. It nailed the effect it was going for, though I wish there were more movements or something. Would have been interesting to see it transition to different places.

21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson - 5/10
Not my thing, but I can see how people can jam to the guitars and drums. All of the guys went off lol.

Words - Feint (ft. Laura Brehm) - 9.5/10
Omg I haven't come back to this song in a long time and I need to change that. Stan Feint and Laura Brehm (and Veela).

Mountains - Hans Zimmer - 8.5/10
I appreciate this song's existence. Another v atmospheric piece, but this one really goes places.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Dancing with Tears in my Eyes - Kesha: 7/10 Kesha usually works for me and this is no exception.

Red Sky at Night - David Gilmour: 5/10 I like the sax, I always do, but this piece stays in that slow melodramatic vein the whole time and it was kind of a drag.

21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson: 7/10 I'll give it a decent rating because it's hard not to appreciate the sheer artistry and talent that goes into producing something like this, but realistically it's too long to sustain itself and I could have done without what few vocals there were. This is one of those pieces that I'll only come back to on long road trips with plenty of time to kill.

Words - Feint and Laura Brehm: 8/10 I saw these two artists, immediately got excited, and was not disappointed.

Mountains - Hans Zimmer: 6/10 Anistar City, is that you? Anyway, I'm sure this would be mind-blowing in context, and nothing with Hans Zimmer's name on it can ever be objectively bad, but the track took its sweet time getting to not much of anywhere.

Side note: After Mountains played I got a YouTube ad for Pokemon Detective Pikachu, but the guy said "Pokemon" with a hard e and it made me mad >:|

Last edited:

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Cult Classic
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes - Kesha
6/10
The song was nice and pretty but not great. The lyrics were relateable, though hope no one is feeling quite like that.

Red Sky At Night - David Gilmour
8/10
Very soothing and soft, but a little monotonous.

21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson
8/10
Maan this was fun for a 10 minute song! Didn't think I would like it, the intro turned me away a little, but I have to admit the instrumentals were played really well and the jazzy parts were nice.

Words - Feint (ft. Laura Brehm)
6/10
It wasn't very memorable. The vocals were nice but that's it.

Mountains - Hans Zimmer
8/10
I can appreciate the intent and it made me feel the tension building. Like Ben said, though, it took some time to really begin. And when it did, it was a little short.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes - Kesha (5/10) this was pretty bland sounding
Red Sky At Night - David Gilmour (6.5/10) definitely sets a mood
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson (7.5/10) wow, was not expecting this to mostly be jazz-like. the percussion improvisations were the best part
Words - Feint (ft. Laura Brehm) (7/10) not bad but another song where I feel like the instrumentals clash with the voice a bit
Mountains - Hans Zimmer (9.5/10) obviously fully appreciating this requires watching Interstellar, and the scene it accompanies is one of my favorites from the movie so I have some bias for this particular track, but it's one of the best HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME tracks I've heard in any media

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes-Kesha (5/10). A generic, bland 2010s pop song that could easily be sung by a myriad of different singers.
Red Sky At Night-David Gilmour (9/10). This is fantastic. Beautiful saxophone, setting up perfect ambiance, while also sounding a bit sad. It reminds me of Fortune's theme from MGS2. The only problem I have is that it just ends abruptly. I don't know if it's the video, or the song itself, but I expected it to start fading out, and it just ends.
12st Century Schizoid Man-King Crimson (8/10). I've never heard of King Crimson, but they sound a lot like Pink Floyd, which is never a bad thing. Every instrument is played superbly. Really nice listen.
Words-Feint (ft. Laura Brehm). (5/10). Really good intro, but, again, the voice and lyrics are extremely generic. That, and the EDM blaring in the background makes no sense. This song doesn't need that, and it really doesn't fit the overall feel of the song, imo.
Mountains-Hans Zimmer (6/10) Great ambient piece from a legendary composer, but without the song to reference it against, it's just not the same. STill a good piece, but just loses a lot of its impact on its own.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes - Kesha: 4/10
Ehhh, this doesn't really do it for me. It's not a bad song per se, but there's something about the sound that I really dislike. It's also a pretty generic pop song, so no points for originality either.

Red Sky At Night - David Gilmour: 6/10
The sound of this song is really beautiful. I feel like it would be great as background music for various movies, as it sets the ambiance so well. It kinda reminds me of some of Ennio Morricone's music, in that sense. However, it is a bit lacking in terms of progression. The music is very nice, but it's a bit monotonous, which is why I probably won't look it up again.

21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson: 6.5/10
This song is an art piece. Obviously, a lot of thought went into it and I like the sound of it. It kinda failed to keep my attention for 10 minutes straight though. Still, I think it's a good song and it scores points for originality.

Words - Feint (feat. Laura Brehm): 7/10
This song sounds pretty good. I'm not a fan of the generic EDM parts though, which kinda ruin the mood set up by the intro.

Mountains - Hans Zimmer: 8/10
I feel like this piece has much more meaning when you've seen Interstellar. It's still very beautiful on its own though. The progression is especially amazing and gives the song a very suspenseful ambiance. Overall, a really solid piece.

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes - Kesha: 6/10
Pretty alright.

Red Sky at Night - David Gilmour: 10/10
Something about this just meshes with me perfectly. Listening to the saxophone, I can almost feel myself standing on the docks just before sunset as the cool sea breeze rolls in.

21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson: 8/10
Not my favorite off of Court of the Crimson King, but I can't deny how much I jam to this.

Words - Feint ft. Laura Brehm: 5/10
Not my thing, especially with the EDM noises.

Mountains - Hans Zimmer: 7/10
I like this, but it's been long enough since I saw Interstellar that it doesn't impact me as much as it might have.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes - Kesha: 2/10 p generic
Red Sky At Night - David Gilmour: 5/10 it works...slightly
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson: 8/10 good but v long
Words - Feint (ft. Laura Brehm): 5/10 it was ok
Mountains - Hans Zimmer: 2/10 movie soundtracks mostly only work when the movie is playing bro

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Dancing With Tears in My Eyes- Kesha: 4/10
Yep, that's Kesha.

Red Sky At Night - David Gilmour: 6.5/10
It sounds nice, but I'm not the biggest fan of instrumental pieces.

21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson: 7/10
A solid song, but it goes on for a while and I can't stop thinking of Kanye West.

Words - Feint (ft. Laura Brehm): 8/10
Solid.

Mountains - Hans Zimmer: 5.5/10
I like Interstellar but the music wasn't one of those things where it was like, "Yeah, I'll listen to the soundtrack in my free time."

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Words goes on to the semi-finals!

Before we get started, here are the wild-cards for this version!
1 Ocean - Martin Garrix (feat. Khalid)
2 Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON
3 Fun Tonight - Macross 82-99
4 Red Sky At Night - David Gilmour
5 Respect - Aretha Franklin

Now we can get started on the semi-finals! When voting in these rounds, we have a different system in place: +3/+1/0/-1/-3. You can only use each number once and if a song in a particular round is your favorite it needs a +3. Least favorite, a -3 (you get the idea). A new round will start whenever we reach 10 votes! Also please order your songs from your most fave to your least fave. Just makes things easier counting wise.

Shallow - Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper: +3
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: +1
Brooklyn Baby - Lana Del Rey: 0
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: -1
breathin - Ariana Grande: -3

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Brooklyn Baby - Lana Del Rey: +3
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: +1
Shallow - Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper: 0
breathin - Ariana Grande: -1
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: -3

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Cult Classic
If I've rated the song before, I'll put the old rating first and then how I rate a song this time. The order of the rates for this one (which song goes first for a +3 etc) is chosen by giving the last score more weight. (when in doubt, it's new score x 2 + old score x 1 / 3)
-
breathin 5 / 5.5 -- 16
nice, but doesn't stand out much to me. (Note: I didn't know who Ariana Grande was when I first rated this song. Now I know she was Cat from Victorious (and Sam & Cat) so I have a bit more knowledge. Still doesn't affect my perception of the song by much).

Dustland Fairytale 6.4 / 7 -- 20.4
Maybe it's because I've been listening to similar songs lately but I enjoyed and connected a little more with the song.

Boom!Boom 8 / 5 -- 18
Wasn't really in the mood this time. Also last time I commented I meant I'd want to watch the anime the song is from if it were anime hypothetically (it couldn't be anime since that was restricted since anime songs have their own faceoff but yeah) but now it seemed to me as more of a westernized version of an anime xD shrug

Shallow 9.8 / 9.5 -- 28.8
The point is it's a nearly perfect song. I love the way she sings and the emotion behind the song.

Brooklyn Baby - / 5 -- 15
it's ok? But felt sort of flat.
Shallow - Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper +3
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers +1
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio 0
breathin - Ariana Grande -1
Brooklyn Baby - Lana Del Rey -3

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey