Music One Hundred Song Face Off: Version Eight! "It's a new soundtrack...I could dance to this beat forevermore ❤"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmagistrate

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Cody
Slipping - Cryoshell - 4/10
This feel like a more refined version of the soft rock/metal that we would expect in a reminiscent scene in an action movie circa 2006. I feel like it would have fit well with the sound aesthetic of 2004's Catwoman starring Halle Berry. Its clean, but not my cup of tea.

November Has Come - Gorillaz ft. MF DOOM - 3/10
Most rap already isn't my cup of tea unless its aggressive so this lofi doesn't do it for me. Plus the buzzing made it really difficult to listen to. I never really was a Gorillaz guy even in 2005 in the first place either so its just a rough relationship.

Everything is Alright - Motion City Soundtrack - 3/10
Just another punk rock/pop-ish song for me. I did do a search because I could have sworn I heard it in some sort of teen rom com about 10 years ago but that is not the case. It's arguably more up my alley, but I went through my angsty stage a while ago.

breathin- Ariana Grande - 3/10
This, in my honest opinion, is the weakest of the singles off of Sweetener. I am a Grande fan, but this one was just not the strongest off that album.

All the Small Things - Blink 182 - 4/10
Another song that was on repeat during my rebellious, angsty years. Not much of a fan now and it has found its way off my big, curated playlist.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
CST
Slipping - Cryoshell (6.5/10) It's unspectacular but the composition is good
November Has Come - Gorillaz ft. MF DOOM (7/10) I don't know why but whenever the rap portions os a song doesn't match up at all to the beat it bothers me, and it hurts my enjoyment of the song
Everything is Alright - Motion City Soundtrack (5/10) This was pretty standard fare
breathin- Ariana Grande (9/10) A particularly good uplifting pop song from the past couple years. Only portion I'm unconvinced over is the bridge(?)
All the Small Things - Blink 182 (5.5/10) Iconic but I never found the appeal or uniqueness in it

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Slipping - Cryoshell: 7/10 - Interesting enough, sounds nice but not something I'd actively seek out.
November Has Come - Gorillaz ft. MF DOOM: 6/10 - I do like some Gorillaz, but what the heck was that buzzing sound throughout the song? Kinda put me off.
Everything is Alright - Motion City Soundtrack: 6/10 - Nothing that really struck me as memorable.
breathin- Ariana Grande: 10/10 - One of the best hit songs of the year.
All the Small Things - Blink 182: 7/10 - Definitely a memorable song, if one that hasn't aged all that great.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Ariana makes her way to the semi-finals! I also added a song rankings section in the second post, that way you can see a song's placement overall. ^^

Scores:
Slipping - Cryoshell: 5.87
November Has Come - Gorillaz ft. MF DOOM: 5.97
Everything is Alright - Motion City Soundtrack: 6.13
breathin- Ariana Grande: 6.63
All the Small Things - Blink 182: 5.45

My thoughts:
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra
: 4/10 I honestly thought I would like this but I didn't. It was very hard for me to keep listening and it just felt like it dragged on forever, despite it only being a five minute song. Some parts of the instrumentals are nice, but this just wasn't for me.
Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 3/10 This honestly just bored me to be honest. Not my cup of tea I guess.
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 7.5/10 A nice, calming listen. Didn't expect anything less from The Killers.
Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 9/10 Tove Lo has such a groovy , funky sound. I love it so much. This song is no exception.
Help - Thaehan 8.5/10 Reminds me of a final boss song...I just don't remember what game. I like the piano and it is fun to listen too!

Pelion

Regular Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
❖ Round Two ❖
Hard to separate it from the dozens of commercial and film uses. Its so up beat and mixed in a really fun way. Perfect to try and sell me cheerios but on its own it overstays its welcome in my opinion. The punchy intro is why it blew up, the more rock opera ending didn't do it for me. 5/10

Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween
Slow and full of powerful emotion. Its very evocative I can picture the story its trying evoke quite clearly. The way it builds was enjoyable and quite enthralling. I will probably never feel the need to listen to this song again 6/10

Dustland Fairytale - The Killers
I'm fond of the killers, this is no exception. Grandiose production and amazing vocals, 6/10

Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo
Love Tove Lo. What I expected, somewhat downer dance tracks. I prefer other songs but this one is nice 5/10

Help - Thaehan
I had to lower the volume to finish it, but I did. To artificial for my liking, sounded too clean. If I'm being honest this is easily the worst song I've heard so far. Lacks everything I want from music. 3/10

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Electric Light Orchestra - Mr. Blue Sky: 5/10
It's a really upbeat song, but it doesn't really feel like something I'd be super into or like something I'd want on my playlists. I guess it's just not my kinda song. I think I was kinda expecting an instrumental song because there's orchestra in the artist's name, so I guess my expectations weren't really met there either. Artist name aside though, it's not a bad song, it's just not for me.

Ween - Buenas Tardes Amigo: 2/10
Not really feeling this song either. The instrumentals are okay, but the song just feels too slow for my liking.

The Killers - Dustland Fairytale: 7/10
I didn't really like this one at first, but as I kept listening to the song, it grew on me. The instrumentals for this one are really nice. It starts off kinda slow, but it picks up as it goes on. I've heard some of The Killers' songs before and even have some of them on my playlists, and this is one I could definitely see myself adding to the collection.

Tove Lo - Imaginary Friend: 8/10
I also really liked this one. I was jammin' out a little bit to this one as I was listening to it, not too much though since I wanted to fully appreciate the song the first time I listened to it, but this was a really good song and I'd listen to it again.

Thaehan - Help: 7/10
I liked this one too. It's a really nice instrumental track. It's only really something I'd listen to if I needed to put my concentration playlist on though. I think if it had some lyrics to it, I'd maybe listen to it more, but I do like me some good instrumental tracks so I can't complain too much.

Mystical

Ysabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
6/10
Didn't really catch my attention, but it was nice and I followed the rhythm.

Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween
7.7/10
Hmm. I'm actually listening to this song more than once. I liked the slow beat, the lyrics were simple and easy to understand and they told a story. I also enjoyed the instrumentals, they were very soothing. Also, the guy seems to say "buenos tardes" instead of "buenas tardes" but that's minor. Though, listening to the lyrics it's actually a bit violent ^^' but nothing too graphic.

Dustland Fairytale - The Killers
It's a pretty melody, nice lyrics, but I didn't really connect with this song, even though to me it was unique enough, but eh, didn't make me feel much. Also xD minor but if it was going to mention Cinderella sleeping why not mention Sleeping Beauty instead, since there was nothing about Cinderella going to sleep in her fairytail.

Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo
Nice sound but a bit boring.

Help - Thaehan
Definitely caught my attention. Good piano playing. Still not something I'd look for on my own, though.

Flo

Spectacular Genie Superstar
Time Zone
BST
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra - 4/10 it's aight I guess
Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween - I'm snoozing. It's far too slow for me to gain any enjoyment out of it. 1/10
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers - 9/10 it slaps
Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo - 6/10 it was a nice track, unoffensive.
Help - Thaehan - this is just a touhou track for weaklings 4/10

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Mr. Blue Sky by Electric Light Orchestra
3/10 | fun n bouncy i suppose, but did not give me anything to be surprised or pleased over, kinda felt like something i'd hear in a happy-go-lucky old movie or commercial. not too bad i guess, but not my thing at all! and by the 3 minute mark felt like it was overstaying it's welcome! oh well.

Buenas Tardes Amigo by Ween
3.5/10 | felt incredibly boring but that guitar riff that drops around the 4 min mark saved it... a little bit. i get the emotion here, i really do, but overall didn't hit me or resonate w me or w/e generic things you say when you don't vibe with a song

Dustland Fairytale by The Killers
9.5/10 | aaaaa someone submitted this! i love the killers and this song very dearly and a relisten just made my morning. It is a very sweet and powerful song to me, and a super fun listen as it starts off gentle and picks up and up and up... eeee it doesn't even feel right to talk about it in detail it's just Very Simply Wonderful.

Imaginary Friend by Tove Lo
6/10 | oh hey tove lo! i generally like her sound. this song was just a nice, sorta pleasant listen and i can't think of much else to say about it. i feel like i've heard it before but i probably haven't.

Help by Thaehan
7/10 | again, feels like i've heard this before but i probably haven't! that said it was very very pretty.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra: 7/10
This was actually kinda rough through headphones. But it's a classic nonetheless. I've heard it many times and still not old.

Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 9/10
I had no idea what to expect going into this, but I thought it was great. I was riveted. The slow pace works well and so does the guitar.

A Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 2/10
This felt overwhelming and rushed, like the song was assaulting me. I also can hardly stand the The Killers' singer's voice. To me he always sounds like he's in pain trying to sing these songs and it doesn't come out well at all.

Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 5/10
Liked the verses and the hook quite a bit, the chorus and the outro not so much. It evens out for a song that's not bad, but hardly stands out from every other pop track flying around.

Help - Thaehan: 8/10
Mixes in a number of different elements here, but I think it all turns out just fine in the end. Nice listen, I would come back to this.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra: 10/10 Ok this has a special memory for me since it was the bow song for my last hs play, but I actually really enjoy it. It just makes me so happy 🎶
Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 4/10 I enjoyed the story and it sounds very pretty but it was a little slow overall. Usually that doesn't bug me, but this time I just wanted to hear the story.
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 9/10 I didn't expect to like it, but reading the lyrics it was very thoughtful and several parts clicked with me. I enjoyed it.
Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 7/10 It didn't hook me quite as much as some others, but it's pretty and a nice listen.
Help - Thaehan: 8/10 I think it would be a good concentration type of music, very pretty and fast.

Last edited:

Rex

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
SW-5093-8160-1932
IGN
Ricky
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra: 7/10
I didn't realize until the lyrics started that I had heard this song before. I really enjoyed the instrumentals, and while this isn't usually my type of music, I can't deny that this is a fun song to listen to.

Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 3/10
The story was okay and caught me with the twist but left me kind of confused. I also had to look up who Ween was and knowing they're a couple of white guys from Pennsylvania leaves a sour taste in my mouth. This song could have been done without the accent.

Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 8/10
I haven't listened to a lot of the Killers, but everything I've heard, I liked. This is probably the first song in the Face Off that I haven't heard before but would come back to listen to again.

Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 5/10
There were some parts of this that I really liked and some parts that I really didn't, leaving me with mixed feelings overall. I'd never heard of Tove Lo before this but this does have new interested to check out other stuff by them.

Help - Thaehan: 7/10
This definitely sounds like BGM from a video game. To me it sounds like it would fit in well in some kind of platforming escape mission where there's a sense of urgency. I don't go out of my way to listen to music without lyrics, as I like to sing when I listen, but this is by no means a bad track imo

Last edited:

We Sink

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra 6/10: fun song a bit too repetitive
Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween 2/10: I'm not sure what direction this song was supposed to go but I did not like it at all
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers 8/10: picks up nicely and has a catchy beat
Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo 6/10: Tove Lo has a nice voice but I did not like much else
Help - Thaehan 7/10: Good background music

lightmagistrate

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Cody
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra: 5/10 An oldie but a mediocre-ie.
Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 3/10 I am not a huge fan of the narrative style. It also was too long for me to retain attention.
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 6/10 This is probably one of the weaker songs from Day & Age but its still p good.
Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 6/10 Not my fave Tove Lo song, but when that beat hit around 3 mins it spoke to me.
Help - Thaehan: 4/10 This gave me osu! flashbacks, probably great for that, but too much for the ears.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra: 2/10 Cannot rly stomach this in a genuine listening setting ngl

Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 1/10 it was interesting to follow but only as a story not as a song

Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 4/10 ya this is definitely the killers

Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 2/10 i forgot what this sounded like a few minutes after listening

Help - Thaehan: 6/10 the most pleasant track on the list but it feels weird that these video game sounding songs are in this kind of face off so dock points off for that

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra: 9/10
Distilled fun and happiness. I physically can't be in a bad mood while listening to this song.

Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 8/10
I'm a bit of a sucker for slow, somber stuff like this, and I enjoyed the story behind it.

A Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 7/10
The Killers are great, and this song really is beautiful, but for some reason it just didn't click with me the way a lot of their other stuff does.

Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 6/10
It's aight. I like the singer's voice a lot, though.

Help - Thaehan: 7/10
Sounds like Touhou music, and I like Touhou music. Don't think it's something I'd go out of my way to listen to, though.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra: 10/10
I love this song so much. It's got an incredibly catchy tune and it just never fails to cheer me up. I love the way the different vocal tracks are used and the vocoder gives the song such a characteristic sound. The instrumentals are really solid as well. I can understand that the more rock opera ending is not for everyone, but to me, it just completes the song. Overall, this has got to be one of my favorite songs of all time.

Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 2/10
This song is in a bit of an awkward limbo between a story and a song. While the story itself is alright (although a bit short and simple), the song is very slow, which makes it difficult to even focus on the narrative. The vocals were kinda monotonous and the accent is a bit tacky considering the roots of the band. I kinda liked the buildup in the instrumentals, but overall, the song was just largely unimpressive to me.

A Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 7/10
I got acquainted with The Killers recently and I've been really liking their songs lately. I like the sound of this song as well, although I found it difficult to get a good grasp on the song. As far as I've heard, I wouldn't say it's their best song by any means, but still a pleasant listen. I'll probably give it another try later.

Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 6/10
I like the sound of this song. Tove Lo's got a beautiful voice and I especially enjoyed the verses, but the chorus turns this song into a bit of a generic dance pop track. It's a nice song overall, but it hardly stands out from all those other dance pop tracks.

Help - Thaehan: 3/10
This song sounds like it came straight out of a video game lol. It's not unpleasant to listen to, but it's such a different genre that I find it hard to compare the song with other songs in this face off. In general, I find that songs like these, while occasionally pretty, don't have as much depth to them as the more 'conventional' music styles. It sounds alright and I might even put music like this on in the background while I'm busy, but it doesn't particularly stand out to me.

Last edited:

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra: 8.5/10
I know it's a very corny song, but I also really like it. I really can't explain why. It is a bit repetitive though.

Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween: 1.5/10
Really slow and overall not very engaging to me. It sounds very awkward and uncanny at so many times. Overall sounds like when my grandmother starts telling me a story I don't care about and I can't just get up and go or I'll be disrespectful to her. Not exactly the vibes I want from a song.

Dustland Fairytale - The Killers: 6/10
Overall sounds pretty nice. I could see myself listening to this on occasion, but it's not really my kind of song generally. Side Note: I then listened to another Killers song after this which reminded me of Summer of 69 for some reason.

Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo: 4.5/10
Overall sounds fine, the pre-chorus (or whatever came before the first chorus) had me grooving, but it lost me after that.

Help - Thaehan 7/10
It sounds pretty damn fine. Nothing incredibly special, but very well composed.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
CST
Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra (6.5/10) I'm still not sure how to feel about this song. On one hand I like the style, but on the other the lyrics are completely lost to me
Buenas Tardes Amigo - Ween (4.5/10) The one thing I don't like about songs like this is that you have to pay 100% full attention to them or you completely miss out on everything, because the music here is just background prop that isn't worth listening to on its own
Dustland Fairytale - The Killers (7/10) Interesting lyrics, but the beat is constantly in my face
Imaginary Friend - Tove Lo (6.5/10) Hmm I'm not sure what I should have expected from this but Tove's voice just sounds a bit off, and the chorus is kind of weak, but overall it's still alright
Help - Thaehan (3.5/10) I'm really not sure what's going on here; this is a track that is really lacking any sort of context it feels like

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
The Killers make it to the semi-finals!

https://lyricstranslate.com/en/un-velero-llamado-libertad-sailboat-named-liberty.html (edited)

He left yesterday,

He took his things and began to sail (navigate),

a shirt, jeans,

and a song.

Where will he go.

Where will he go.

He said goodbye,

and then decided to duel the sea,

and travel the world in his sailboat,

and navigate, nai na na, navigate.

And he left,

and he called his boat "Freedom",

and in the sky he discovered seagulls,

and painted wakes upon the sea.

And he left,

His heart,

sought a different way of living,

but the waves said to him: go,

with the rest, nai na na, with the rest.

And he fell asleep,

And the night yelled: where are you going?

and in his dreams he drew seagulls,

and thought, I should return today.

And he returned,

and a voice asked him: how are you?

and upon looking there he discovered,

A pair of eyes, nai na na, as blue as the sea.

And he left,

And he left,

and he called his boat "Freedom"

My Thoughts:
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 7/10 A song I never get tired of singing along with whenever it plays. It's a bop. I just don't like listen to it on my own like ever.
Finale - Madeon: 6/10 Was a nice listen, I just uh, forgot about it in a matter of minutes and had to listen to it again. The beat is nice.
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: 8.5/10 FIESTA FIESTA. This song made me in such a good mood lol.
Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 6/10 Song is nice to listen to. It was alright.
Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand: 7/10 This song spoke to me as an adult. Will I listen to it again? Probs not on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.