Music One Hundred Song Face Off: Version Eight! "It's a new soundtrack...I could dance to this beat forevermore ❤"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Pocket of Sunshine by Natasha Bedingfield
6/10 | i can certainly jam to this! always have and always will! also this has literally no bearing on my opinion of the song but i have a weird memory of waiting on a fair ride for it to start with this song playing, like 10 yrs ago. i included this silly fact because i have nothing else to say about the song.

Finale by Madeon
7/10 | hey i've heard of madeon before but i don't think i've heard this track specifically. this was very very pleasant, not extraordinary, but i enjoyed it greatly. it felt powerful without being a show off about it, though idk if that helped or hindered it

Boom!Boom!ヘブン by BRADIO
9/10 | I LOVE BRADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so remarkably unique and fun just wanna dance for the rest of my life

Un Velero Llamado Libertad by Jose Luis Perales
4/10 | ¡me gusta! it's not painful on the ears! but uh that's about it sorry!

Don't Stay In School by BoyintheBand
2/10 | oh i remember this song lol. ye the words make a statement that we all know is true but i don't enjoy actually listening to it at all.

lightmagistrate

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Cody
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 7/10 This is the 2nd best song in her discography
Finale - Madeon: 5/10 It is possibly going to be my go to medium because it was a song that was just alright in everything for me.
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: 4/10 It's fun but probably wouldn't listen again
Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 4/10 The late 70's were a wacky time.
Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand: 2/10 THe sentiment is valid but its just more marketable as a song.

Mystical

Ysabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield
2/10
It sounded discordant, repetitive, and like not a lot of thought was given to this song. Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't like it much.

Finale - Madeon
2/10
It wasn't bad per se, but sounded jumbled and messy.

Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio
8/10
Didn't pay attention to the translation, sounded like anime? But it was very energetic and made me want to shake my body. I wouldn't put it on my playlist, but I'd be happy to watch the anime it is from.

Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales
10/10
I enjoy his voice a lot and the lyrics are beautiful, as well as the background instruments.

Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand
7/10
Holy smokes that was a message there. Though instead of rapping about it, do something about it... Besides the message, the rhythm was catchy and simple.

Last edited:

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 8/10 I have vivid memories of this playing on Radio Disney and singing along with it when my voice was really starting to develop as a little 8 year old Thena. It reminds me of very happy times:)
Finale - Madeon: 6/10 I liked it, but I'm a little disappointed. I thought it was building up to something that just kinda never came.
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: 7/10 It was fun and upbeat, but eh. I liked the latin-ish feel though!
Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 7/10 Very pretty, not much else to say about it.
Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand: 5/10 Makes some very good points about a major flaw in our school systems, though I don't like it as a song.

Pelion

Regular Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
Round Three ❖

Very much sounds the era it came out. Too much production the break where her voice got to flex was both impressive and flashed what the song could have been. Too much layering, noise, and harmony clashing to be a pleasant listen. 3/10

Finale - Madeon

I'm not super well versed in electronic music, but this feels like something above Par. Felt big and grand. Like a song to get you excited to buy a product, but it actually works. 7/10

Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio

A ****ing fantastic blend of styles, insanely catchy. It just works, I'm going to relisten to this so much I might very well learn entry level Japanese. Who would have thought Saki and tacos would work so well. 9/10

Sounds like Hispanic James Taylor. I'm sure a lot of the impact is the lyrics, were I too comprehend I could give it more points. As a folk song, comparing it to like Cat Stevens, Croce, Garfunkel/Simon, or Denver I have to judge solely on how surface level sonically pleasing this is, and it actually is. I ****ing hate James Taylor, but when I can not understand the potentially banal or hacky lyrics I'm not distracted. 6/10

I don't know how taxes work, I'm going to write, produce, edit, upload a song about it. Instead of learning. H&R block isn't fort Knox. At my school there was a whole business orientated wing, and at community college I learned more about basic financial planning. If I had a father who was more active in my life he would have taught me. These are all non starter problems, his framing and take on all these problems are absurdly biased and misrepresent problems in society based on lack of knowledge. Being able to diagnose BLP disorder should/would be useful yeah? Its good to know what mitochondria are so I don't have to wonder where all this wasted energy came from. 0/10

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 7/10
God, it's been a while since I last heard this. Not necessarily my thing, but a good time.

Finale - Madeon: 6/10
More or less just echoing Athena here. Alright stuff, but feels like it's missing a... well, a finale.

Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: 9/10
Me right now

Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 7/10
The lyrics and the singer's voice are both lovely, but otherwise this didn't stand out to me all that much.

Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand: 3/10
Don't get me wrong, I get the message behind this, god knows I've ranted about this stuff myself, but I didn't actually enjoy listening to this all that much.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 3/10
I don't like this song very much. While the singer has a good voice, the vocals just sound kinda obnoxious to me. The song is pretty repetitive too. It just didn't do it for me.

Finale - Madeon: 6/10
I usually don't listen to electronic music like this, so I don't have much of a reference to compare this song with, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. The melody and the vocals where both pretty good, but I kinda expected a bit more build-up from the song. Overall, while this song isn't my regular taste in music, I think it's a pretty good.

Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: 8/10
Man, this song surprised me. I definitely did not expect the Spanish vibes in this song. I also enjoyed this song a lot more than I would've expected in advance. The instrumentals and vocals complement each other so very well and just make for an incredibly cheerful song. I also didn't mind the Japanese lyrics, which I hadn't expected in advance. Overall, I think it's a great song.

Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 8.5/10
I actually like this song even more lol. Both the instrumentals and vocals are just so smooth. I feel like Spanish lends itself very well to folk songs like this too. Overall, I think I'd objectively rate this song to be about as good as the previous one, but it's just a little more up my alley.

Don't Stay in School - Boyintheband: 1/10
I can't really relate to this song. Maybe it's cause the Dutch school system is actually pretty decent. I feel like this is more of a political statement than a song. Either way, the vocals are ranty and obnoxious, while the music is virtually non-existent. I wouldn't listen to this again.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 5/10 hey how come this song got to use the music video lol **** rigged

Finale - Madeon: 8/10 p good but it wuda been p GREAT if it had a big build up and pay off but it just kinda stayed consistent the entire time which is fine but it didn't hit me as hard as it could have

Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: 10/10 the funkyness and talent of BRADIO transcends the language barrier

Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 2/10 not that bad but i have a weird dislike of all spanish music prob cuz i was forced to grow up around it

Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand: 1/10 lol le school didn't teach me anything so preach; ignoring the message itself hearing a british guy rapping is very grating on the ears as well

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
6/10
- It's cheerful and fun for sure and the song was kinda enjoyable, but it's kinda repetitive.
Finale - Madeon
6/10
- It is not bad song, and I kinda enjoyed it, but there was something lacking about it.
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio
10/10
- A catchy and fun song. I like the Spanish vibes in it. Me gusta.
8/10
- I like the singer's voice. I also like the lyrics. A mí también me gusta.
1/10
- The message in the song is understandable, but I didn't enjoy it and I don't like rap that much. It didn't sound like a song, but more of a rant.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Natasha Bedingfield - Pocketful of Sunshine: 6/10
I never realized how repetitive this song was until I listened to it for this. It really is kinda repetitive, but other than that, I do like it. I think if they took out some of the repetitiveness to it, I'd like it more.

Madeon - Finale: 6/10
This sounds like something I'd hear in a video game, but I don't know which one. It's a good song though, and if it wasn't for the lyrics, I probably would've put it on my concentration playlist. I still have it saved though so I can put it on a playlist once I figure out where it belongs.

Bradio - Boom!Boom!ヘブン: 7/10
The instrumentals are a jam. I wasn't really feeling this one at first, but it started to grow on me as the song went on.

Jose Luis Perales - Un Velero Llamado Liberatad: 2/10
I just wasn't feeling this one at all. I don't mind songs in Spanish, but this one just wasn't for me.

BoyintheBand - Don't Stay in School: 1/10
This definitely feels more like a rant than an actual song. The lyrics don't really feel like they fit with the instrumentals at all. I get the message, it's something I've seen in memes a million times on Facebook and other social media, about how we didn't really learn the things we needed to learn in school, but I also feel like it could've been communicated a lot better than just in a rant with some instrumentals to it.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 5/10
This certainly felt longer than three minutes. I enjoyed the listen, but it was very average all around imo.

Finale - Madeon: 7/10
I wish the bass/percussion had been more integrated, especially in the first half or so. It kind of faded into the background near the end, but I did like it while it lasted.

Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: 8/10
Not sure what I was expecting here, but it wasn't that. That said, it was a lot of fun!

Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 8/10
A very peaceful and well-sung tune, and the instrumentation is beautiful too. I like it.

Don't Stay in School - BoyintheBand: 5/10
It's hard for me to rate this song since the message is such a huge part of it and that's not really what we're here for. The rap was good but I won't exactly be coming back to this for its musical merits.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
CST
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield (7/10) It definitely works well for a pop song
Finale - Madeon (6.5/10) The vocals were a nice touch that I didn't expect, but songs like this that keep the dynamics more or less consistent are going to get docked points
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio (7/10) Thanks to the submitter for linking a video that includes translated lyrics, although it turns out I didn't really need lyrics; the style of the song is really the strong point here
Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales (6.5/10) This sounds like a song you would find in a (Spanish-language) karaoke. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing
Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand (2/10) This is not a song meant to be listened to in the way a usual piece of music would and its message and delivery actually made me angry

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 3/10
Just blegh. Really generic and not in a way I like. She sings decently well, but it just feels like it lacks substance.

Finale - Madeon: 8/10
Love me some Madeon. This song like most of his songs packs a punch and the lyrics feel like just another instrument. It does suffer due to the feeling I can just come in at any point in the song and not really feel any different than if I started at the beginning. It lacks as much of a build as other songs I'd expect from this genre.

Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: 9/10
It's Bradio, there are very few songs they have made that I don't really like. Not my favorite out of their discography and I actually find it pretty average from them, so it's telling how much I like them if a 9/10 is average.

Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 5.5/10
Honestly, I had a hard time getting into this. The language barrier is probably hurting my enjoyment of this song a fair bit. The overall sound is nice though.

Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand: 1.5/10
I too watch the youtubes. Man has he gotten better cause this is grating on my ears. He's way too loud and it's just annoying.

We Sink

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield 7/10: this song is catchy
Finale - Madeon 5/10: nothing special kinda felt generic
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio 8/10: it def lived up to the hype people were giving it. A feel good party song
Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales 8/10: I used to hear music like this when I was younger and now that I moved out I don't :(
Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand 2/10: the teenage angst in this song isn't good

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
Pocket Full of Sunshine-Natasha Bedingfield (6.5/10). Despite how ridiculously overplayed this is, it's still a good song. She has a good voice, it has a great beat, and the harmonies are quite good. The chorus, however, is bland and generic. Thankfully the verses are great.
Finale-Madeon (3/10). This is a very bland, boring song to me. It never peaks. It stays at the same tempo and the same dynamics for the entire duration. Not to mention, the lyrics are about as generic as you can get.
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio: (9.5/10). Welp, we have our first finalist, that's for sure. This is just pure unapologetic funk, and I LOVE it. You can tell the band had an utter blast recording this, because that fun, funky energy emanates from every second of this song. This would get a 10 if it didn't end so abruptly. It's a bit jarring to have it just end.
Un Valero Llamado Libertad-Jose Luis Perales (5/10). Good voice, nice lyrics, but just very forgettable, even when you have the English lyrics. There are countless other Spanish songs that sound similar to this. I did try listening to this without the translation, since I took 4 years of Spanish in high school, but...10 years can really take away ones ability to understand something.
Don't Stay in School-Boyinaband (2/10). By far his weakest song. And that mostly comes down to it being free form rap. He's trying way too hard at times to fit his lyrics into the beat, and dear sweet Arceus on a Bidoof the rhyming is ****ing terrible. Earnings and cursive????? Disorders and causes??!?!?! FACTS AND STATE????? You're not even trying at that point, man. Your accent doesn't let you change the rules of rhyming, man.
(By the way, I'm pretty sure EVERY high school in America has at least Spanish, German, nad/or French. I took 4 years of Spanish. Just sayin)

Rex

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
SW-5093-8160-1932
IGN
Ricky
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield: 6/10
So obviously I've heard this one before and it's okay. It's got a catchy melody and an uplifting message. After giving it a thorough listen, I do think it's kind of repetitive.

Finale - Madeon: 7/10
This song had me hooked at the start but unfortunately lost me partway through as I realized it wasn't going anywhere. Still I enjoyed the backing music and had more fun with this than the last song.

BoomBoom!へブン - Bradio: 8/10
Damn this song was just fun. It took me until about halfway through to realize why it sounded kind of familiar. Bradio did the opening song for the anime Death Parade and it's one of my favorite OPs. Not a lot to critique here. I really enjoyed it.

Un Valero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales: 4/10
Nothing about this song really stood out to me and without being able to understand the lyrics, it's even more difficult to grade. I'm not a huge fan of the guy's voice and the excess vibrato on some of the words.

Don't Stay In School - Boyinaband: 8/10
Doesn't seem like a popular opinion, but this song really resonated with me. I definitely struggled through high school in classes that I had no interest in and have had no relevance on my future, and as a young adult now, I struggle with a lot of the basic things I should know about living on my own. The beat was good, the rhymes were definitely iffy at times, but I love how you can tell how passionate he is on the subject, and I definitely agree with him.

Rydia

ΦωΦ
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Unyielding Wings
AKA
Brian
Time Zone
PST
Pocketful of Sunshine - Natasha Bedingfield - 6/10
Wow what a throwback. I remember liking this song as a teen, but now it didnt do much for me as an adult.
Finale - Madeon - 9/10
I might be a bit biased since I love EDM, but this song was a great listen. I feel like it could be better but I still really enjoyed it.
Boom!Boom!ヘブン - Bradio - 9/10
Yo this is a ****ing jam, I was boppin during this. I did not go in expecting to enjoy this this much.
Un Velero Llamado Libertad - Jose Luis Perales - 3.5/10
It's not bad, but I just didnt like it.
Don't Stay In School - BoyintheBand - 5/10
Something about the lyrics and vocals felt off to me. The background sound was nice though.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Boom Boom makes it to the next round!

Need You Now - Lady Antebellum: 7/10 I'M a LiTtle DrUNK and I NEED you NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Never Get Used to People - Life Letters: 8/10 I strangely dug this quite a bit? Glitches aside, this song was a bop.
Shallow - Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper: 9/10 This song popped up on my recommendations list a while back and since then has been something I'll regularly listen to. Haven't seen the movie but this song is an amazing piece on its own so I don't think you don't really need to? Overall a great song.
Vertigo - Khalid: 9/10 I got a soft spot for Khalid. This song was very nice to listen to and his voice is so hnnng <3
Buddy Holly Weezer: 5/10 It is okay. Just not something I'll go around listening to again.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Need You Now by Lady Antebellum
7.5/10 | heehee i like lady A i admit! and this song is rly cute i've always liked it and singing along to it. country (including country pop like this) is a weird genre for me, but there's TONS of stuff like this i will thoroughly enjoy. it's not like, a super high favorite or anything, i can only rate it so high, but damn it's iconic to me

Never Get Used to People by Life Letters
8/10 | yeah i like this song and the full version too. i love how ****ing weird it is and yet so ridiculously captivating and soothing. i don't know how it accomplished what it did, but i am most certainly not complaining

Shallow by Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper
5.5/10 | ooo, seems like a pretty powerful performance piece, like would probably be very moving to see live. i can't see myself going back and listening to it though. but it's definitely not bad, I rly feel the emotion in this!

Vertigo by Khalid
10/10 | Honestly, this whole album is pretty special, Khalid is a very genuinely talented dude. This song is just kind of perfect to me, every little bit of it is beyond exceptional in the way it all flows together, so sure i'll hand it the big ol 10

Buddy Holly by Weezer
2/10 | actually just bland and not fun to listen to.. sorry!!

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Need You Now - Lady Antebellum: 2/10
The number of times I've heard this probably doesn't help how much it's boring me, but there you go.

Never Get Used to People - Life Letters: 7/10
Huh, curious. It's got a haunting, captivating quality. I like the sound of the Russian but the especially trap/EDM parts were rather grating.

Shallow - Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper: 6/10
Could use a bit more instrumentation to help the male singer's voice along. Honestly I winced a bit every time he sang. I did like the...moving-ness of the song as a whole, however.

Vertigo - Khalid: 5/10
I wonder what this would be like just as an instrumental track; I liked the way they were layered throughout the song. The first few seconds had me interested but then it quickly fell off. The mumbly quality of his voice isn't something I find super enjoyable.

Buddy Holly - Weezer: 3/10
This had one or two bright moments but on the whole it was pretty rough around the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.