Music One Hundred Song Face Off: Version Eight! "It's a new soundtrack...I could dance to this beat forevermore ❤"

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Frankenstein - The Edgar Winter Group: 8.5/10
This song starts off with a groovy rock sound, which is right up my alley already. What makes this song really stand out for me though are the seamless transitions, first to a more jazzy sound, then to something that almost sounds like electronic music. All in all, it's a really original track and I enjoyed the sound.

Indian Reservation - Paul Revere and the Raiders: 5/10
The instrumentals were decent, but the vocals were a bit flat. Furthermore, the lyrics were a bit too simple in my opinion. Not a bad song overall, but I probably won't come back to it either.

Surrender the Throne - Krewella: 3/10
The singer's piercing vocals at the start of the song kinda ruined this for me. Really bad arrangement, in my opinion. The background music in the rest of the song kinda made up for the vocals, which weren't as bad as in the start of the song, but definitely not good either. I can see the appeal towards the song as a whole, but it's not my taste.

Flute - The Barcode Brothers: 3/10
This song is odd on so many levels lol. The flute and background music contrast each other a lot, but they oddly work together as well. I'm definitely getting some memey vibes from it though (it kinda reminds me of Die Woodys), which makes it difficult to take this song seriously. Overall, it's not a bad listen, but it's definitely not something I'd ever listen to.

Brooklyn Baby - Lana Del Rey: 4.5/10
Sure, Lana Del Rey has a beautiful voice, but she tends to sound so apathetic in her songs, which I think is a shame. It's especially apparent in this song, which makes listening to it for 6 minutes a drag. The instrumentals are fine, but are mostly background, so they don't really redeem the song either. The lyrics seem really well-written though, so that earns this song some points. I don't think it's a bad song objectively, but Lana's style of singing just isn't for me, hence the mediocre rating.

lightmagistrate

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Cody
Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group: 4/10 It was an ok instrumental

Indian Reservation - Paul Revere and the Raiders: 6/10 This one hit me at the right BPM

Surrender the Throne - Krewella: 4/10
The tempo change around 1 minute feels dated. I feel like I was transported into like 2012.

Flute - Barcode Brothers: 1/10
no thanks

Brooklyn Baby - Lana Del Rey: 5/10
"the male voice that harmonizes with her towards the end of the song, continues to leave me bald" -some individual in the comments
i feel like I agree on a certain level with this individual

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
CST
Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group (6/10) Oh boy, this is interesting. Some of the sounds aren't quite to my liking but it was nice to learn what 70s instrumentals were like
Indian Reservation - Paul Revere and the Raiders (6/10) I like the subject of the song but it sounds very typical 70s
Surrender the Throne - Krewella (6.5/10) This is all over the place but it kinda works?
Flute - Barcode Brothers (7/10) This is a weird mix of instruments. It's certainly a far cry from the EDM of today but I kinda dig it
Brooklyn Baby - Lana Del Rey (8/10) This is definitely one of her better tracks, which are those that utilize her voice well

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Lana Del Rey goes on to the next round!

Thoughts:
Make It Better - Anderson Paak feat. Smokey Robinson: 8/10 This was very nice. <3
Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON: 9.5/10 I just love this song a lot. It is fun and overall just an enjoyable song to listen to.
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen: 7/10 A lovely Queen song. Not one of my faves but fun to listen to.
Respect - Aretha Franklin: 7/10 A classic. Don't really go out of my way to listen to this song though.
Fake Happy - Paramore: 5/10 Was nice. But very forgettable.

chidzz

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
AEST (GMT+10)
Make It Better - Anderson Paak feat. Smokey Robinson
Really chill song. Reckon I'd listen again, but maybe with some mates in the garage with some cheap as grog 7/10

Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON
Was good the first times I heard it on the radio, but it got boring real quick. Not really a fan of super happy pop songs anyway. 5/10

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
Absolute ripper of a tune!!! 9/10

Respect - Aretha Franklin
Another classic, but not something I'd listen too ever, really. 6/10

Fake Happy - Paramore
Absolutely adore Paramore, but sadly this isn't one of their best. 7/10

Pelion

Junior Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
❖ Round Six ❖
A good vibe, very smooth and relaxing. Lyrics leave a lot to be desired. Production is noticeable but doesn't draw too much attention to itself, less is more. 7/10

Great popy dance tune. Though I felt the alt right dog whistles will date the song and hurt its wider appeal. 6/10

Kill the queen 8/10

Gone too late 4/10

Fake Happy - Paramore

I feel the idea of "fake happy" could be condensed and played with more. Maybe I'm spoiled by modest mouse and their superb lyricism. Its OK I guess music by numbers 5/10

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Make it Better - Anderson Paak & Smokey Robinson: 2/10
Everything about this song struck me as boring and bland, and I forgot it as soon as I heard it.

Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON: 10/10
Some very nice memories attached to this song for me. It alone was basically the soundtrack to my summer of 2015. Even more than that, I think it's a very enjoyable song.

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen: 3/10
Huh. I wanted to like this, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it. Felt pretty chaotic.

Respect - Aretha Franklin: 7/10
Mmm, yes, respect for the Queen.

Fake Happy - Paramore: 8/10
Paramore's got a nice sound. This all came together quite well in my opinion.

Felly

a firework
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Anderson Paak ft. Smokey Robinson - Make It Better: 4/10
It has a really nice beat, and he has a nice voice, but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics. Other than that, it's a nice song, but it's not one I'd listen to again.

WALK THE MOON - Shut Up and Dance: 8/10
I kept thinking of Rihanna's Shut Up and Drive while I was doing this, but I've actually heard this song before on the radio. I just didn't have a name for it until now. I like this song though, and I jam out to it whenever I hear it.

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now: 5/10
It starts off slow, but the piano at the beginning is nice. It's a good song overall, but I liked it more once it started to pick up.

Aretha Franklin - Respect: 6/10
R-E-S-P-E-C-T. The instrumentals for this one are nice, but this doesn't really do anything for me. My favorite part of this song though is when she spells out respect.

Paramore - Fake Happy: 6/10
Once it picks up, it gets better. I'm still not a huge fan of this one, but maybe if I listened to it a few more times, it'd grow on me. I like the message of the song though, very relatable.

Gokudera

4th Dan
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Devin
Make it Better-Anderson Paak ft. Smokey Robinson (4/10). It's cool he's collabbing with Smokey Robinson, but man this is a boring song. It stays in the same tempo and dynamic the entire time. No thanks
Shut up and Dance-WALK THE MOON (8.5/10) Really overplayed, but still a really good song. It's fast, upbeat, and energetic as all hell. Definitely y one of the better songs of the past few years.
Don't Stop Me Now-Queen (8.5/10). A great song from a legendary band. This song showcases just how astoundingly good Mercury's voice is. Not the best song in their repertoire, but still a great song.
Respect-Arethra Franklin (7/10). There's a reason she's the queen of soul. She can belt it out like nobody's business. Not my favorite of her's, but a legendary song by another legendary artist.
Fake Happy-Paramore (3/10). I'm not sure why they kept the intro to this. Her voice is terrible in a lower register. But once the main bulk of the song starts, it's....ok. Paramore has far better songs than this.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Cult Classic
6/10
Pretty. Nothing really stood out, though.

8/10
Catchy and cheerful.

9/10
That energy felt great. I would have loved to be in one of their concerts, but as it is, I know they're a great band but I don't completely click with them.

9.5/10
Dang, what a great singer. The voice is very powerful and I enjoyed the style very much. Not in my personal playlist, but I liked it a lot.

Fake Happy - Paramore
5.5/10
It's all right. I agree with Curt that they could have done more with the lyrics, but it works.

Last edited:

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Make It Better by Anderson Paak feat. Smokey Robinson
6/10 | it was cute! felt wholesome, smooth, just very happy. can't say i clicked with it personally at all but i appreciate it

Shut Up and Dance by WALK THE MOON
7/10 | i always thought this song was really fun, but it wore on me after a while! like i would say i still really like it but not at all in love with it!

Don't Stop Me Now by Queen
8.5/10 | HE'LL yea,, just passionately wonderful like most queen songs i know

Respect by Aretha Franklin
4.5/10 | it's full of spirit! this song is certainly iconic.

Fake Happy by Paramore
3/10 | mm this was okay. kind of a weird one for me. i actually like the intro and think it's sweet and has some personality (the low energy voice fits with the message at least), but overall the song feels just alright with very simple (and overdone) "boo-hoo" lyrics... idk if i came back to this one i wouldn't rly enjoy it or jam or anything ):

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Make It Better - Anderson Paak ft. Smokey Robinson: 6/10
This was sweet and relaxing. That said, it loses points because I just couldn't remember what it sounded like after it was over.

Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON: 7/10
Fun and energetic, even if it's not something I'd go out of my way to listen to.

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen: 8/10
This was actually the first Queen song I ever heard, and it's still one of my go-to songs of theirs. Really just a good time.

Respect - Aretha Franklin: 7/10
Not my usual thing, but good god, the voice this woman had.

Fake Happy - Paramore: 5/10
It was... it was alright, I guess. Definitely not Paramore's best, and overall I just felt kind of apathetic towards it.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Make It Better - Anderson Paak ft. Smokey Robinson: 9/10
I really like this track. The vocals are really smooth and the instumentals are so well-produced. Granted, the lyrics are not the most profound lyrics ever written, but they do work well with the song. All in all, it just makes for a very soulful, relaxing song. I'd definitely recommend its parent album, Ventura, too. Already one of the best releases of 2019, in my opinion.

Shut Up and Dance With Me - WALK THE MOON: 3/10
A little too peppy for my taste, but I still thought it was a decent pop song when I first heard it. It got played way too much though and it went from decent to boring to downright obnoxious really quick for me. I'm not a fan of the song.

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen: 9.5/10
Wooo, I love that there's a Queen song in here! Major props to whoever submitted it! I'm a huge fan of Queen and even though I wouldn't consider this their best song, I've got a soft spot for it every since I went to their concert two years ago. It's a very energetic track and just listening to it can get me really hyped up. Freddie's vocal range is amazing and the instrumentals are awesome too. All in all, I think it's a great song and I really like it.

Respect - Aretha Franklin: 8/10
Man, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who can hold a candle to the amazing voice she had. The vocals on this song are really powerful and give it such an iconic sound. Overall, it's a great song, even though it isn't so much my regular taste in music.

Fake Happy - Paramore: 4/10
The beginning of this song is very weak. Poor vocals, boring instrumentation. It does get better after the song picks up, but the lyrics remain a little lackluster. It's a decent song, but not more than that.

We Sink

Rookie Trainer
Make It Better - Anderson Paak feat. Smokey Robinson 6/10: it started out as a jam but had such a weak last minute
Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON 7/10: a bit played out but still groovy
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen 8/10: this song is a classic
Respect - Aretha Franklin 7/10: amazing vocals just not my kinda music
Fake Happy - Paramore 9.5/10: I love this song and everything it stands for

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
CST
Make It Better - Anderson Paak feat. Smokey Robinson (6.5/10) It does its job but it's kinda unremarkable
Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON (7.5/10) A goodie
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen (8.5/10) A song that makes good use of Freddie Mercury's talents
Respect - Aretha Franklin (8/10) RIP queen
Fake Happy - Paramore (6/10) Intro is pretty unusual for a Paramore song and I don't think it works that well, rest of the song is alright

lightmagistrate

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Cody
Make It Better - Anderson Paak feat. Smokey Robinson 5/10: not bad
Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON 6/10: this one hits me right in the high school
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen 8/10: queen good
Respect - Aretha Franklin 6.5/10: it's an oldie
Fake Happy - Paramore 5.5/10: this album had me all sorts of conflicted because my paramore fandom peaked in 2014 during the Monumentour when i saw them at Red Rocks. This album as a whole was just weird.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Queen doesn't stop now as they are now going to the next round!
My thoughts:

Devil Comes Round - Men Without Hats: 6/10 It was fine, just didn't enjoy it myself all too much.
American Boy - Estelle (feat Kanye West): 9/10 I loved this song for years. Still as catchy now as compare to like over ten years ago.
Piri - Dreamcatcher: 8/10 I could jam out to this.
Seventeen - Troy Sivan: 6.5/10 It was okay, I guess.
Maps - Maroon 5: 5/10 I'm honestly not a fan of Maroon 5, at least the stuff they released in the last several years.

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Devil Comes Round by Men Without Hats
8/10 | oddly i really really like this song but i also feel as a whole there isn't much to it? anyway it's good to know these guys made super fun stuff other than safety dance. apparently this is much newer (did some googling) but i think it's really solid.

American Boy by Estelle (feat Kanye West)
6/10 | it is ok. love estelle

Piri by Dreamcatcher
6.5/10 | i had fun!

Seventeen by Troy Sivan
7/10 | oh this was a lot nicer than i thought it'd be. i think i would have loved this when i was...seventeen. still like it just because it sounds so pleasant and soothing. even a little bit dream pop-ish.

Maps by Maroon 5
5/10 | maroon5 is just ok. i actually don't hate some of their newer songs, which i know is totally uncool, but whatever. this song is one of the better newer songs of theirs but i also don't have a lot of good to say about it. it's catchy, or at least it was the first hundred times i heard it..

Pelion

Junior Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
❖ Round Seven ❖
Devil Comes Round - Men Without Hats
Very loud, the looping beat in the background got old before the second chorus. Could've been hype at a live event but too archaic. 4/10

American Boy - Estelle (feat. Kanye West)
Sooooo 2000's kanye west adds so much to this. 6/10

Piri - Dreamcatcher
Chorus was just noise, I kinda liked it up to that point. 5/10

Seventeen - Troy Sivan
I'm not sure I like the themes. 4/10

Maps - Maroon 5

So pop much radio. Lyrics don't make sense and I hate this sellout band 1/10

Felly

a firework
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Men Without Hats - Devil Comes Round: 4/10
The instrumental part is nice, but the vocals are okay. I feel like maybe at one point in life, I could've related to this and I would've liked it more, but right now, it's okay.

Estelle ft. Kanye West - American Boy: 4/10
I heard this song a lot when it first came out, and I wasn't a huge fan of it then. Nothing has really changed now, but Estelle does have a nice voice.

Dreamcatcher - Piri: 7/10
This song actually sounded really nice. The chorus was something I wasn't a huge fan of, but other than that, it was nice.

Troy Sivan - Seventeen: 8/10
This was also a nice song. 24, almost 25, year old me relates to it a little bit, but I'm more reminded of 18-21 year old me and also 23 year old me. It's still a nice song though.

Maroon 5 - Maps: 6/10
I used to jam out to this, especially with my past relationships and especially with my more recent one. It's a nice song, but nowadays, it's just something I sing along to and it makes me feel a little better about my past relationships. I like the song, but it gets dull after a while.