Music One Hundred Song Face Off: Version Eight! "It's a new soundtrack...I could dance to this beat forevermore ❤"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
EST
Too Much - Carly Rae Jepson: 3/10
I found this really uninteresting to listen to. I can't say I really enjoyed it.

Epic - Faith No More: 4/10
Not really my kind of music. The guys voice was a little grating at times. Instrumental wasn't bad though.

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode: 6/10
Definitely enjoyed this one a little bit more. The chorus got a little repetitive but overall not bad. Probably won't come back to it though.

Be Alright - Dean Lewis: 9/10
I Goddamn love this song. I hear it on the radio all the time and I can't help but sing along.

Told You So - Paramore: 6/10
I like Paramore and this song wasn't bad necessarily but it is definitely not their best. Still mostly a pleasant listen.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Too Much - Carly Rae Jepsen: 3/10
Decent vocals, but the background music is so simple and repetitive. This just might be the most generic pop song ever, it doesn't impress me at all.

Epic - Faith No More: 2/10
Man, these vocals are obnoxious. The instrumentals had their moments, but were a bit lackluster at times too. Not my kinda song.

Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode: 8/10
This song is very groovy, both in terms of vocals and instrumentals. I like it quite a bit. I'd say the only downside is that the song is a bit repetitive. Overall, not their best song, but still a really solid listen.

Be Alright - Dean Lewis: 2/10
Oh look, it's another Ed Sheeran clone who tries to get successful off the exact same formula. Kinda uninspired to be honest.

Told You So - Paramore: 4.5/10
It's a little weird, but it actually doesn't sound too bad. Not quite my taste of music, but it's a decent song I guess.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Personal Jesus makes it to the next round!

Raspberry Beret - Prince: 6/10 Reminds me of my days of working at the thrift shop. shudders
Ryder or Riot: 7/10 Something I can jam to and stuffs.
6th Avenue Heartache: 5/10 Wasn't really feeling it. Sounds nice at least!
Ordinary Joe - Nujabbes: 4/10 Honestly felt boring and repetitive.
Uptown Girl - Westlife: 8/10 One of my guilty pleasures lol.

Sly Penguin

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Jacob
Time Zone
Est
Raspberry Beret: 6/10 prince is ok, the violin makes it 6

Ryder or Riot: 7/10 doodoo lyrics, good beat and tempo

6th ave heartache: 9/10 reminds me of Third eye blind with a country twang and I dig it

Ordinary Joe: 1/10 what the **** was that.

Uptown Girl: 4/10 good song, better by Billy Joel.

Rex

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
EST
Raspberry Beret - Prince: 7/10
This song's pretty classic. I hear it on the radio at work everyday but never really listened to it.

Ryder or Riot - Ken Ashcorp: 6/10
This was fun to listen to, but it doesn't really stand out from the other Ken Ashcorp songs I've heard.

6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers: 3/10
I found this really boring to listen to, compounded by the fact that it was way too long

Ordinary Joe - Nujabes: 1/10
I turned this off halfway through.

Uptown Girl - Westlife: 5/10
The song itself is fine; I really enjoy the original by Billy Joel, but when you cover a song you need to make it your own, and this cover fails to do that. It really feels like there's no point to this, just listen to the original.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
Raspberry Beret - Prince
7/10
Not very memorable but I enjoyed the tone and energy.

Ryder or Riot - Ken Ashcorp
4.5/10
Good for what it was but I don't really like this type of music lol. I feel the energy but my ears aren't used to it.

6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers
10/10
This is beautiful. Not what I'd normally listen to, but the melody drew me in. I like the softness and the instrument and the singer's voice, and the lyrics. I'd like to know the story behind the lyrics if there is one.

Ordinary Joe - Nujabes
8.5/10
This song was also beautiful. I would have liked to see more strength from the singer's voice, though. But it's just overall very pretty. I really enjoyed the flute and the instrumentals and the piano.

Uptown Girl - Westlife
10/10
Really pretty too. I love the energy and the melody. It also helps that I saw the song performed in Glee and it was a good performance.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Raspberry Beret by Prince
6/10 | this was cute i was jammin a lil!

Ryder or Riot by Ken Ashcorp
6.5/10 | also somewhat fun!

6th Avenue Heartache by The Wallflowers
8/10 | i am rly feelin this rn

Ordinary Joe by Nujabes
8.5/10 | aaaa nujabes... his music is kinda legendary and soothes the heck outta me... so to be honest i like this song a lot but it's far from my favorite from him, not really something i ever listened to on repeat or anything, but it's still very alluring in its own way if you ask me, idk maybe i'm just biased because i respect the **** out of nujabes tunes

Uptown Girl by Westlife
7/10 | i thought i was gonna be rly bored by this but it kinda hooked me after a minute or so, can't listen to it anymore or it might get stuck in my head (edit: so yeah i listened to the original everyone's talking about and it's just about the same, doesn't impact the quality of the song but definitely impacts the quality as a cover lol)

Last edited:

Pelion

Regular Trainer
AKA
Curt
Time Zone
Est
Before I go on to rate the songs, I have one thing to say directed at no one in particular. I'm so very disappointed with this community.

❖ Round Eleven ❖
Raspberry Beret - Prince

Prince songs weren't really available on streaming when he was alive. So this is a first listen to a massive pop star and a touchstone of radio and music in general. The song has not aged well in terms of production; but it still hooked me in the same way audiences were on their first hearing. Very much a product of its environment but the musician ship has aged like wine, and not vinegar. 7/10

Ryder or Riot - Ken Ashcorp

As a fan song, this would be probably more hype if I knew who it was about. It keeps energy up and really goes above and beyond to not just be a gimmick internet song. It's very much satisfying listen regardless. 6/10

6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers

Not sure what I liked about the 90's. Decade I was born but really didn't get to see it for what it was. Alternative rock and grudge, acid wash jeans, disdain for capitalism, the north west and Kevin Bacon. This song to me hit every marker of a 90's song. Polaroid Bruce Springsteen doesn't do much for me. Ain't bad tho 5/10

Ordinary Joe - Nujabes

I know nobody reads too closely with these. But my teacher in high school once remarked listening to a song from the 80's and being transported to the back of a pickup truck just because it happened to be on the radio at the time. Songs are great for memories and emotions, they can embalm them in your heart. Decayed but very much a preserved remnant of what was felt. For Ordinary Joe I remember me and a friend smoking on the back porch with the door ever so slightly cracked, this song comes on. My friend enjoying the song goes "Damn..." trailing off to whatever epiphany he discovered, and I'll never get to ask him about. This song is a treasured memory, feeling, sound, piece of a greater tapestry that is Modal Soul. Its absolutely perfect. 10/10

Uptown Girl - Westlife

Billy Joel with frosted tips and drum beat. 5/10

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Raspberry Beret - Prince: 7/10
A nice feel-good song but not one that gets me particularly excited. But what's up with the comments on this video.

Ryder or Riot - Ken Ashcorp: 9/10
...I have no idea what that was but I had a lot of fun.

The music is slightly redeeming, but the flow isn't great and I don't like the quality of the singer's voice.

Ordinary Joe - Nujabes: 2 5/10
I would have loved this as a shortened instrumental piece but as it stands it's not for me. I really didn't want to like this song but somehow I can't stomach giving it a bad rating. It's got this kind of power that silently speaks volumes.

Uptown Girl - Westlife: 9/10
I had a goofy smile on my face the whole time this was playing.

Bossvelt

Inactive
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Raspberry Beret - Prince: 2/10 sounds like music playing over an intercom at a run down clothes store

Ryder or Riot: 7/10 genuinely pretty fun but who the **** nomming a zack ryder fan song reveal yourself no one else here likes wrestling !!!

6th Avenue Heartache: 1/10 jajajajaja nah bro

Ordinary Joe - Nujabbes: 10/10 anyone who cannot appreciate dis is pea brain

Uptown Girl - Westlife: 2/10 not much to really say about it just not kinda my style

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Raspberry Beret - Prince: 5/10
I am not into these vibes lol, but I got caught somewhere near the chorus, only to be lost the second the chorus ended. God the quality of the sound itself really kills this for me or it might be a 6 or a 7? I don't know.

Ryder or Riot - Ken Ashcorp: 7/10
What the hell I love the tempo and beat, but these lyrics are actual trash lol. It's like they had the beat thought out and forgot to add words to the song. Still really had fun with it somehow

This mish mash of melody is just weird. I mean it sounds like it wants to be tropical, but it's not committing to that since it doesn't have a lot of energy. I thought the music was okay but then the vocals hit me lol. Yeah this is a no. This vocals just don't work for me

Ordinary Joe - Nujabbes: 7/10
Okay I'll be real with you folks. I hated how this started, but man I can't help but dig the style throughout, the vocals and the music were really good and won me over in the middle. But it's still not my kind of song and I doubt I'd listen to it repetitively

Uptown Girl - Westlife: 6/10
Catchy, but I really can't find this song too memorable. It's hard to remember as a whole, but a fun listen

Bones Barlow

Ghost with the Most
AKA
Bones
Time Zone
EST/GMT -5
3DS FC
5370-0907-5084
Switch FC
SW-0851-1998-5587
Raspberry Beret - Prince: 5/10
Something about this song just gets on my nerves and I don't know why. The song itself is alright enough, but I just can't get into it at all.

Ryder or Riot - Ken Ashcorp: 8/10
No idea who Zach Ryder is, but that doesn't make this song any less of a jam. Woo woo woo.

6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers: 7/10
I didn't expect to like this, but I did anyway.

Ordinary Joe - Nujabes: 8/10
It's odd, I know I've never heard this song before, but it has this calm, almost dreamlike feeling to it that makes it feel like an old friend, if that makes sense.

Uptown Girl - Westlife: 6/10
I like the original version of the song, but this fails to really be different enough from it to make it all that enjoyable.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
Raspberry Beret - Prince: 10/10
Man, this song is my jam! It's probably not even Prince's best song objectively, but it's just so groovy and quirky and I really love it.

Ryder or Riot - Ken Ashcorp: 7/10
I kinda like this! The background music is really good and I'm digging the energy of this song. What the hell is up with these lyrics though?

6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers: 5/10
This song definitely has its moments, but as a whole, it's a little unimpressive. The sound is kinda pretty and I like the country influences, but overall, it's just a bit bland.

Ordinary Joe - Nujabes: 7/10
It started off and I was like 'what the actual heck is this?', but then you get used to the sound a bit and it's actually really smooth. It's a little weird, but it's got a soulful quality to it that I really enjoy, to my own surprise.

Uptown Girl - Westlife: 4/10
I actually think this is a great song and Westlife didn't do a bad rendition of it or anything, but their cover didn't bring anything new to the table. In fact, it sounds like they were trying to imitate Billy Joel as closely as possible. In my opinion, that's a bit of a shame. Personally, I also think Westlife's singing is a bit flat compared to Billy Joel. Not a bad song, but I'm docking major points for the lack of originality.

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
Raspberry Beret - Prince (7/10) This is so 80s and also so Prince
Ryder or Riot - Ken Ashcorp (7.5//10) Has a nice vibe to it
6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers (4/10) This wasn't particularly interesting
Ordinary Joe - Nujabes (5/10) Something felt a little off about the audio, like it was muted a bit? Made the lyrics hard to make out at times
Uptown Girl - Westlife (5.5/10) The original had better singing that stood out a bit more

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Prince - Raspberry Beret: 3/10
I'm just not a fan of this genre of music, tbh.

Ken Ashcorp - Ryder or RIot: 5/10
I'm a little on the fence about this one; I like it, but I'm not really sure if I like it that much.

The Wallflowers - 6th Avenue Heartache: 5/10
This one was okay, but it felt a little too slow for my liking.

Nujabes - Ordinary Joe: 5/10
The instrumentals, especially the piano, sounded really soothing, but I wasn't really feeling the lyrics.

Westlife - Uptown Girl: 5/10
This song is okay at best. Maybe with more listens, I could get behind it, I dunno. It seemed real upbeat, and I liked that, but I dunno, I wasn't feelin' it completely.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
Ryder or Riot goes on to the next round!

Burn - Three Days Grace: 2/10 Thirteen year old me would have loved this. Me not too much.
Dinosaur - King Crimson: 3/10 This song didn't hook me in to justify the length of the song. Sorry. ;c
Rain - Blackmill: 8.5/10 The soft wubs are so absolutely lovely. <3
Ocean - Martin Garrix (feat. Khalid): 9.5/10 I love Martin Garrix. I love Khalid. This is one stunning collab. At least imo.
Table for One - Passenger: 7/10 It was a nice listen. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Last edited:

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
Burn by Three Days Grace
6/10 | god i loved this **** in high school sm. still kinda jammin

Dinosaur by King Crimson
8/10 | what a ride! this was enjoyable. something about it felt very special. like an art piece.

Rain by Blackmill
9.5/10 | hhh this brings back memories. i was a huge fan of blackmill several years ago, but in the sense that i would hear their music a lot and passively fall in love, without really knowing the song title or looking into albums or anything like that. blackmill is a very surreal & magical artist to me. i don't know who nominated this but thank you.

Ocean by Martin Garrix ft Khalid
8.5/10 | love u khalid. very beautiful

Table for One by Passenger
5/10 | huh this was cute!

lightmagistrate

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Cody
Burn - Three Days Grace: 1/10 no thank you mr 2003
Dinosaur - King Crimson: 2/10 244p youtube is wild, the shift in the middle was intriguing
Rain - Blackmill: 4/10 lo-fi hip hop beats to study too jsut found an early predecessor
Ocean - Martin Garrix (feat. Khalid): 5/10 It's a p ok Khalid song
Table for One - Passenger: 3/10 Voice bothered the hell outta me

Sly Penguin

Rookie Trainer
AKA
Jacob
Time Zone
Est
Burn - Three Days Grace: 2/10 because it would be good... in guitar hero.

Dinosaur - King Crimson: 3/10 I don’t think anyone is digging your bones man.

Rain - Blackmill: 8/10 this could be some good D&D music

Ocean - Martin Garrix (feat. Khalid): 2/10 not my thing

Table for One - Passenger: 3/10 helium is a helluva drug.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
Burn - Three Days Grace
4/10
Don't really like the style. It doesn't seem to stand out, even from other songs of this style, except I did kind of enjoy the singing.

Dinosaur - King Crimson
2.5/10
Maybe it was just the quality of the recording, but the souds wasn't very good, and I didn't really like the style. It wasn't too bad, though.

Rain - Blackmill
7/10
Soft and sweet. Didn't impress me but it was nice.

Ocean - Martin Garrix (feat. Khalid)
7/10
Don't like Khalid's voice. I remember someone else nominating another song by him and I didn't like his voice then either. At least he doesn't sing much or I didn't pay attention. The rest of the song was nice but nothing stood out.

Table for One - Passenger
8.5/10
Pretty! Doesn't hook me or really impress me, but I enjoyed the style and singing ^u^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.