Sword/Shield Opinions on every Pokemon not being Included

Feather32

Junior Trainer
Well I didn't see another thread like this so here we go. With it confirmed that only Pokemon in the Galar regional Pokedex will be able to be in the games I was wondering what everybody thought of this. I personally find it a point to say I'm not going to be buying these games. Since Pokemon used to be about collecting them all. I know people were upset about LGP/LGE for only having the first Generation Pokemon, and that didn't bother me since that was meant to be the focus in those games.

I feel for the price tag that the Galar Pokedex would have to be huge to me wanting to purchase the games at this point. If you can't include all your creatures why continue making more? The fact that they no longer are making 3DS Pokemon games and said this is very upsetting to me, since you can bring all your Pokemon to every 3DS title with Generations obviously.. I don't care how nice a game looks and feel this was something they didn't need to do. Sorry if this seems nitpicky, but I'm open to hearing other opinions as well.

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
I hate it, it's the dumbest decision that Game Freak has ever made and I hope they will reconsider it after this backlash (but I highly doubt it, it's Game Freak after all).

Now let's get into the reason or as I like to call it an excuse for being lazy and incompetent. So they say they are doing it because of the better quality of graphics and animations in SwSh but as we all have seen the gameplay of these game we know that this isn't true. The 3D models are basically the same as they were on 3DS games with maybe some minor tweaks and if they could fit them all on the 3DS then there is no good reason that they can't fit all of them on the Switch as well. Also they still didn't bother to improve the animations of the attacks (e.g. Scorbunny Double Kick) so where are those improvements that they are talking about, I know that they can't be talkig about the Pokemon animations in the overworld, right? We all so those weird levitating Wingull and the way the turn around and never flap their wings. Also the player characters foot disappears into the ground when he stops riding a bike, they really improved those animations in these games didn't they? lol O and don't get me started on the Dynamax Arcanine, that boy is so well animated that it has "Ultra Wormholes" in its neck.... So much improvement... wow

The second reason is balancing the competitive battles, I couldn't help but laugh at this one. This is coming from the same people who made Mega Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, Ultran Necrozma, 2 Mega Mewtwo.... And if they wanted to do something about competitive scene they can do what they did before, ban certain Pokemon, moves, abilities from the tournaments, battle spot... Don't pretend that you can't ban every single non Galar Dex Pokemon from the Battle Spot when you did stuff like Ultra Spooky Cup where only a handful of Pokemon were allowed. Balance the "competitive" scene however you want but let people bring all their Pokemon into the new games.

There has been a ton of posts (with proof and explanations) on Reddit about how bad and unoptimized the code for Pokemon games is and Game Freak doesn't want to hire more employees or outsource it to someone more capable. It's not like they don't have enough money with Pokemon being the biggest media franchise in the world. So Game Freak is either incompetent or lazy (or both) to fix and optimize the Pokemon code and make an actually complete game. They just want to rush and pump out half-finished games every year for a quick profit. And I do know that companies need to make money but Pokemon is so big that most of their money doesn't even come from the main series games so they would still be making tons of money even if they released GOOD games every 2 or even 3 years instead of every year.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
On one hand, I think it's a dumb decision. There's 800+ Pokémon to catch 'em all. It's been their tagline since the start. We have Bank, we're gonna get Home, which was announced as a thing to link everything. Or so I understood. Granted you can't trade back to Go/LGPE by nature of those games, I was fine with that. Which I'm less with Sh/Sw because, well, that's a main series game. It's something I'd expect out of a main series game; backwards compatibility with the previous generations. I know they re-did that from scratch on Gen 3, but still.

I also think we're all... I wouldn't say worried, but we're "worried" that our favs aren't gonna make it in. Someone stated, in comments somewhere, that competitive aside, the games had a "play with your favorites" mindset... and that's always been, at least, my thing. I don't EV train much. I barely IV breed, or even use TMs (well, more now that we're not limited to 1 use per). I like challenges, not just limited to Nuzlockes, but having that 800+ options... it's fun.

So yeah, I agree, it's a big deal. I'm not keen on it. Especially if they flat-out reuse their models throughout, which they've been doing since XY.

But...

At the same time, I'm not too upset. I'm not really buying their excuse of higher quality animations, but I do understand it's time consuming. We're talking 800 characters. Minus dialogue, granted. But that's 800 idle animations. 800 physical attack animations, 800 magical, plus whatever will come out of their camping feature. I'm not gonna lie, that's resources. It takes people to animate; it takes a space to put all these animators, infrastructures... it takes QA to flag issues, it takes IT, managers for all of those, HR people, people to manage payroll, sales, all that backend we don't see as users, it takes... people... so it takes money. Because you gotta pay those people.

Y'know, those really long credits at the end of a game? That's people who pretty much got paid by the publisher or the dev, either via third parties or in-house. They went from stupidly short teams to enough staff across multiple companies to warrant 20-minute text scrolls. That's money, and that's work.

And I think I'm old enough to realize that, while I don't really like the mindset of "we're here to make money"... a company's prime goal is to, indeed, make that money. I know, I work in a game QA studio, and we're underpaid for our job.

If they make less money, big corporations are less into it.

Doesn't mean I agree to it, but that's unfortunately how it works.

On "being old enough", I also know that, as a 34-year-old woman, I'm outside of their target demographic, and I've been outside of it for a long time, if I even was at first. They aim at kids. This being said, when I buy the games on launch day, I'm not the youngest in line. Far from it. Almost everyone is around 15-35. But we're, unfortunately, not their target demographic. And the target demographic are kids who probably don't know Pokémon, who're gonna be satisfied with whatever they have in there because they may have not grown up with the other 800+ Pokémon we know.

Do I like it?

Not a single bit. It's annoying.

And yet...

I grew up with that stuff, I was 13 when they were released, I'm 34, that's 20 years of enjoying the franchise at various degrees. I don't play for storyline (it's not aimed at me anyways), I barely play for the graphics, I just really enjoy the replayability. I buy a game, 80-90 bucks, it's good for a thousand hours of entertainment. I breed, I explore, I restart, I wipe everything, I catch Pokémon to fill my Pokédex, I give up on doing it, I restart 3 months later, I shiny hunt... I know I'm still gonna have fun despite all of that.

~

TL;DR:
I'm gonna get the games, I'm gonna enjoy them I think, but I'd rather enjoy them with the entire roster than a selection of it. I'm a bit upset at losing choices and maybe favorites, but personally, I can get over it. While I get their limitations and how Pokémon has changed (or not), there's a part of me that think it's part BS, part actually true.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
In the past, I would have a wall of text, but I think I can sum this up pretty succinctly.

My first reaction to the new games: Holy **** these graphics are amazing!
Upon learning this: I don't care about the graphics, every Pokemon needs to be in the game, that is a core requirement.

Graphics are a nice touch when you can fit them in without expense of everything else. Once they start to take over, you have a problem.

Cynical Toast

gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Charlie
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I've been frustrated with Game Freak and their modern design ethos since the day X & Y launched, so to me this is just kind of another Sunday. I'd argue Thanos snapping the Pokedex is just like cutting any other feature for them, be it walking Pokemon or the Battle Frontier. They've been pulling this same trick for years, getting bolder and more daring with each cut. And there's no good justification for this, the game looks butt ugly and on par with a low budget PS2 game. So as outrageous as this whole situation is, I can't say i didn't see it coming.

What did surprise me, though, was just how much of a backlash the decision got. I've been on the Pokemon subreddit a lot since E3, and it's literally been nothing but criticism of both the decision and GF as a whole. No longer am I the toxic outlier who is hating for hate's sake, now literally every gamer with a keyboard or phone is R I S I N G U P against GF. It's sort of vindicating, for sure, but it's also getting exhausting. I guess a lot of these guys still haven't reached the Cynical (haha) stage of realizing no amount of protest will change anything.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
I'm personally not bothered, not that I was going to buy the game anyway, but not having the 800+ Pokémon available seems something random for fans to suddenly decide that they do not like the game and the whole company for. Did people really just buy games just to 'collect them all'? (At least that's what it seems like). Because that's outright consumism and Game Freak has been doing it for a while now.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
Did people really just buy games just to 'collect them all'?
That's literally what Pokemon was originally about. It was literally the tagline.

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
I'm disappointed, and while I could be mad that I can't guarantee to have my favs, I can slightly understand. Maybe GameFreak has made some mess ups, maybe Nintendo pushing them to produce more and more isn't helping, and just in general how cut-throat the gaming industry is now. But I also know with the expanding Pokedex, more and more pokemon in each game, eventually, we'd get to a point where they can't keep up and get every pokemon in every game. I'd prefer every one, yes, but when it comes to each Pokemon game I also want to meet and use new Pokemon as much as I can in playing through the game. Then the main thing it affects me is me playing online or with friends in competitive/FFAs which kinda stinks, but I can get over it, even if Dragonite (Noodles) is not in the game. At least with me, I can see it mixing up what I see online and gives a spotlight to new favs.

Ideally, I still would prefer, especially with all the backlash most people tend to have, they can at least do something like free patches/updates later on to add more and more pokemon over time, but it is doubtful. I can understand why people are upset, and I can't change your mind, nor is it my goal to "force you to like it," but at most, I can provide the "other view," and just hope we all can let people who still want to enjoy the game enjoy it, and hopefully things are fixed to the best solution possible.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
I mean, at least to me Pokémon is more than just collecting them all. There are other reasons to be upset about than because all Pokémon won't be available. Or at least, other reasons that come with not having every Pokémon available than just not being able to collect them all. For example, being able to play with your favorite Pokémon through the whole game. (This wasn't always possible though, even in the earlier games). But Game Freak practically forces you to buy every game and console so you can be able to trade and get them all.

But I get it. I'm not supporting Game Freak and I'm glad people are able to express themselves.

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
I personally am not really affected by this decision so I might not be a good person to voice said opinion, but it's a thread so I get to dump my neutral viewpoint onto everyone lol

BUT I have to state that everyone who's mad about this is 100% justified, but I'm just personally sick of the outrage.

So firstly. How do I feel about the decision:
I don't particularly care since I've never really been the type to go out of my way to transfer Pokemon even though I know some people are emotionally attached to Pokemon they've used previously. I'm not even sure why Gamefreak ever did make transferring Pokemon possible back in gen 3 if they knew they couldn't be consistent with it every game there on after. Either way I don't think they're backing out of this decision and I don't particularly think they should bother giving in to fans if their end goal is to not make Pokemon transferable, so in a way, the outrage is just stalling the inevitability of this in my opinion. I also think that, even if this is a product of incompetence, having regions and games with different Pokemon might make the games feel a bit different and maybe they're right when they said not all Pokemon would fit in the specific region in an aesthetic point of view. Gamefreak definitely did not handle this the best way they could have, but personally I don't have many issues with the decision itself.

Pokemon Home?
Okay I'm not sure what's up with Pokemon home lol, but it's bad enough that after you put them into Pokemon home, you can't exactly take it back if the Pokemon isn't in the region. Like wtf why is that a thing!? Pokemon being stuck in Pokemon home until they can be in a game that has them in their pokedex is worrying, but I don't exactly know what's in Pokemon Home. Like maybe Pokemon Home allows us to interact with our favorites more than the previous game would allow? I wouldn't know, but this part of the whole thing is pretty frustrating in general and I'm not sure what gamefreak are thinking. I mean I guess it's a step up from rotting in our old games, but can the pokemon be deleted if you forget to pay for the service? Honestly when it comes to this, I need a bit of time to see what Pokemon Home exactly is, but this part is the one that I hate the most currently

Not having my favorites
So Gliscor is most probably not going to be in this game...and that's gonna hurt my heart, but I think I'll be able to get used to it. Using Pokemon exclusive to the region is probably my favorite way to play anyway so I don't know if I truly think this is much of a problem? Like maybe others care about using their favorites in a region, but overall I don't think it's much of an issue for the majority of people that play Pokemon.

How I feel about Gamefreak
This whole fiasco is because they didn't handle the situation properly and weren't transparent from the start plus the fact that they haven't given genuine reasons to accept their decision. If the final product can genuinely be improved by launch due to not having all the Pokemon (which I doubt) I would take back any negative feelings I had towards them throughout this reveal. Handling a huge franchise like Pokemon and NOT being completely transparent is really screwing them over and the critical reception to the last 2 gens being meh at best really doesn't help this anymore. I'm biased towards Gamefreak though and I feel like I always will be so I'm going to hope for the best, but am still expecting the worst after the past few games.

TLDR: Decision doesn't affect me, Pokemon Home really needs more details, Gliscor being RIP possibly is a tragedy and Gamefreak needs to be more transparent

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Did people really just buy games just to 'collect them all'? (At least that's what it seems like).
I think the biggest issue for me and most people that hate this decision isn't about collecting them all and the living Pokedex, it is more about not being able to transfer every Pokemon you've had for years and those types of Pokemon have sentimental value to us. I personally have transferred all my teams to the newest generation for many years and I have Pokemon that are older than some members of my family and it sucks that I won't be able to transfer them and use them for various things in the post-game of the new games (thus continuing "our adventures") as I have always done before. Game Freak always promoted getting attached to your Pokemon and being able to take them with you to new adventures but not anymore I guess. I know this might sound silly or weird to some people but to a lot of fans Pokemon aren't just pixels or a piece of code they are a lot more than that, they are memories and reminders of all the great moments we had while playing these games and all the friends we made while battling and trading with our Pokemon.

I have a couple of Pokemon than an old friend traded to me and later he moved away and we lost contact over the years, but whenever I see those 2 Pokemon he gave me I remember all of the great times we had while playing the games and the tons of fun we had as kids. I also know that there are people that have Pokemon that were given to them by relatives that have passed away since and those kinds of Pokemon are a lot more valuable than any LivingDex or shiny, perfect IV Pokemon. Not being able to transfer those Pokemon and keep them as a part of your adventures in the Pokemon world would truly suck and I hope Game Freak reconsiders their decision.

And this is not directed towards you Mystical (you are cool :coolazurill:) but to all the people saying just play the older games then, I just want to say that you guys are missing the point. It has always (ok, since Gen 3) been possible to bring your Pokemon "to the future" and keep them as a part of your journey. And I have seen those same people that are saying this also be super vocal for years about wanting the Sinnoh remakes and this makes no sense to me. Why not use the same logic and just play the old Sinnoh games then? lol

Last edited:

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Overall I'm sad that they won't be in the game but I think that things will turn out OKfor me anyways. It's gonna be a shift competitively and limits gameplay a little if you like transferring up your Pokemon, but all I'd really do if it had the national dex is transfer things up and leave them there afterwards.

I'm glad GF is dealing with the backlash, it's something that the series has needed for a while, I think. I'm hoping that they'll decided to add all the Pokemon in a (free) DLC patch after the game launches, but I'm not betting on it or anything.

Above anything else I think this really highlights the issues GF has with the series right now. It feels like they've been struggling with 3D ever since they were pushed onto the 3DS console, when they really shined with their 2D games. In my opinion the highlight of the series was the DS games, and after that things peaked and started to go down a little. Now each of the games has felt rushed, like GF hasn't been able to finish everything. Maybe if there's enough backlash from this, Nintendo will step in and help GF in the future, or maybe they'll slow down releases to have enough time to make a better product. Maybe. Given their track record, probably not, but I can hope.

Anyways, I'm still planning on getting the games as they still look good to me and I know I'll enjoy them, but I'm still disappointed that this is the route they've decided to go. I can understand why they did it, but if they had planned better I feel like it could have been avoided.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I'm sad about not having every pokemon in the game, but to be honest, all of the backlash makes me more sad. Back before Black and White was released, I hated the fact that no previous gen pokemon would be available in the local dex, but it was people from Marriland that convinced me to give the games a second chance. Turns out, the games were great when I was forced to use pokemon I wouldn't normally use, and I have those people to thank for making me realize that. I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but it still makes me sad that people are getting so angry about not being able to use their favorites, when they were the ones who told me to stop getting angry about not being able to use my favorites.

Maybe I just see this whole situation differently from everyone else. With how much the pokedex keeps expanding, I've always felt like this sort of thing was inevitable. Eventually Pokemon games just aren't going to be able to support all of the pokemon. While some may not like how they chose to approach the issue in this particular case, there are definitely worse ways they could have handled it.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Not being able to transfer every Pokemon over is disappointing, but it won’t stop me from giving these games a shot. They still look great and I don’t want one unwanted feature to ruin that.

Feather32

Junior Trainer
There are other factors for why I'm not getting the games, at least myself my mom might get me one for Christmas. I just feel that for the price a switch game is the regional Pokedex has to be big to justify switching Systems and price tags. Also I feel like it had something to do with the Dynomax mechanic as they didn't want to have to do it for every Pokemon, which is a mechanic I find is the lamest and laziest I've seen. I thought Mega-Evolutions were cool and Z-Moves were useful, but this feels like a terrible combo of both combined in a way. Granted that is a discussion for the Dynomax thread.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
For the most part, I am very understanding of this decision.

Aside from all the development hurdles that they need to overcome to produce a nice looking game, maybe we could also see improvements in other parts that have been rather lacking in recent titles.

To me, Gen 5 remains the best region out there to date, with an excellent storyline and overall nice look to it. And it serves as an example to what a true "reboot" of the series looks like ever since Gen 3.

Remember, BW initially introduced Unova Pokemon only throughout the entire game. Sure, you can transfer all your Pokemon back, but I mean... You had to go without any familiar Pokemon at all through the main adventure, relegating them to just the post game.

When B2W2 came out, they pretty much tried to bring back the previous generations for the main game. It makes sense. However, the post game really drives home something to think about. These were the games you could obtain a lot of legendaries. It made for an awesome post game, no doubt. But for the most part... It always brought the question of how they'll be pulling this off in future generations.

There are now more and more Pokemon out there than back in Gen 5. Gen 6 and 7 didn't introduce very many new Pokemon... But now I see why. It was pretty much delaying the inevitable problem of too many Pokemon. Twice over, Gamefreak was forced to find a way for the new fans to access the entire Pokemon catalogue through their main games, but each time more lack luster than before... First random wormholes and then the ultraspace wilds. And Gen 7 really was pushing the 3DS to the limit that the National dex just had to be cut to avoid digging into other features they wanted to implement. It was only a manner of time before too many Pokemon become difficult to handle.

Now as a Pokemon fan, I play these games a lot ever since the GBA days and getting to transfer Pokemon over to a new game is always a thrill. But as a casual gamer myself... I do have my favorites and I never really transfer everything to the new games. Those who do are a small minority.

For the most part, I am optimistic about this. While I have yet to see the Galar Pokedex, I'm probably vouching that some of my favorite Pokemon will make it and those that won't weren't ones I was attached to anyway. Pikachu and Eevee fans are probably sure to forever make it in every game.

I will say that the major cut would probably be the legendaries. As much as I like them a lot and some of them have the craziest designs... There is a crap ton of them. And tbh... Maybe it's for the best they remain reserved on those. I really don't think that Galar region would be home to places like Ultraspace, the Distortion World or even the rock golem chambers. It has become to absurd to accomdate everyone at this point.

tl;dr
For the most part, the number of Pokemon is finally catching up to them to the point that they had to choose whether to keep the Pokemon coming, or cut them in order to deliver a polished game. I don't blame them, but I am sad.

If it means we could be looking at the next new Gen 5, but with such fabulous graphics to enhance that kind of experience... I'm all in for it!

It is a bold risk of them to do so, but maybe now is the time to really test the waters with a full game... And to give them the support they need. Buy their game and give it a chance before judging it.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I honestly don't mind since transferring 500+ Pokemon from game to game was getting tedious. I don't really care about Dex completion though.

Pikampy

Ace trainer
Time Zone
UTC +1
3DS FC
2037-1969-4058
Well I didn't see another thread like this so here we go. With it confirmed that only Pokemon in the Galar regional Pokedex will be able to be in the games I was wondering what everybody thought of this. I personally find it a point to say I'm not going to be buying these games. Since Pokemon used to be about collecting them all. I know people were upset about LGP/LGE for only having the first Generation Pokemon, and that didn't bother me since that was meant to be the focus in those games.

I feel for the price tag that the Galar Pokedex would have to be huge to me wanting to purchase the games at this point. If you can't include all your creatures why continue making more? The fact that they no longer are making 3DS Pokemon games and said this is very upsetting to me, since you can bring all your Pokemon to every 3DS title with Generations obviously.. I don't care how nice a game looks and feel this was something they didn't need to do. Sorry if this seems nitpicky, but I'm open to hearing other opinions as well.
Tho I heard a rumor they can add patches adding new Pokémons to the dex so that's a hope

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
This reminds me of the backlash against Black and White. At the time I had roughly the same opinion I do now. Sure it’s not exactly the same thing, but it wasn’t ever going to deter me from buying the game. Now admittedly I didn’t ever get Pokémon Bank and I probably won’t get its new equivalent. While I am mildly upset about my old favorites not being present, this is a chance to find new favorite Pokémon. I’m not usually this optimistic, but with this series I’m able to look on the bright side.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
To me, the Black and White case is fundamentally different. The relevant factor here is the postgame. Having a limited dex for the main story was nothing new even by Black and White, and has been the case ever since Gen 3. But you could still get all the Pokemon through trading or transferring (Though Gen 3 itself did not have that initially, it was clear it would happen eventually since every Pokemon was programmed into the game).

I actually liked the Black and White mechanic of using only new Pokemon for the main story. By Gen 7 I was making the conscious choice to only use new Pokemon in my main team. But the main story and postgame are two very different beasts. Without all the Pokemon, the game just doesn't feel complete.

Especially given what they did choose to include. I would much rather have that than dynamaxing.