Sword/Shield Opinions on every Pokemon not being Included

BZWGolem

Conspirator☆
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I am honestly very disappointed.
This is the second time I will consider not buying a mainline game.
Previously my pokemon-obsession was too strong for me to skip any important Pokemon game - even though I was outraged about the catching mechanics and lack off all Pokemon in Let's Go games. Still, I never finished my Let's Go Eevee game.
At least I managed to stop myself from buying both versions which I usually did previously..

Anyway, I've been disappointed for a while because of many of the changes that the series goes through.
Lots of stuff I loved gets dropped (difficulty levels, battle frontier, event pokemon having in-game locations, pokemon following you) in favor of features I don't care that much about (motion controls, pokemon amie/refresh, z-moves, dynamax).

Now, having all Pokemon in the game is one of the few things that I never ever expected to be cut out. Catching them all for me was the main thing in the series besides battling and ugh.. I'm not sure if I can stand this change.
I've been less and less excited for new games since Sun/Moon and if this continues I will stop getting new games at some point. It may not be the Sw/Sh point but this simply cannot continue forever.

I'd prefer a new game where they introduce no new Pokemon, simply a new nice region, over having old ones cut out...

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I don't really care about it in all honesty.
My reasonings being:
a) It had to happen at some point. There's so much data that goes into every single Pokemon already and its not as simple as 'porting all the models'. GameFreak have had more and more pressure put on them with every installment, hence why the 3d games only have 70-80 new Pokemon rather than the 100+ every past generation had.

b) Its not like the Pokemon are going to pop out of existence. Sure it'll be sad that a lot of Pokemon I like won't be in the game, but I've used them tens of times before and I don't plan on getting all like 1000+ Pokemon when I already have them on other games.

c) Masuda said that all the new Pokemon (including forms) will take the total number of Pokemon to over 1000. We're currently at 809, I believe. Meaning that the Pokemon introduced in this region may well be over 200 new Pokemon. Now, I don't know how many Pokemon they're cutting from Gen Sw/Sh, but I would much rather they spend time working on up to 200 brand new, well-designed beasties for a fresh region than filling it with 809 existing Pokemon, oh and some new ones I guess.

d) I think it was also Masuda that said Sw/Sh was about the series growing up. I'm guessing that part of this is letting go of attachments to older games and as much as I love gens 2-7 and would definitely like to have all the Pokemon in Sw/Sh, I can easily let go of the nostalgia and try something new.
Course half of this is just me things. The other half is tru facts though.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
It's not something that really bothers me a whole lot. This just seems like an opportunity for people to get attached to new Pokemon. It's a little bit of a bummer that I won't be able to catch some of my favorites if they're not in the games, but I feel like there's going to be something in the games that I'll like. This at least makes it a little easier for me to catch them all instead of having to catch 800+ Pokemon. I'll still buy the games though; not having a National Pokedex wouldn't be a breaking point for me to not buy them.

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
) Masuda said that all the new Pokemon (including forms) will take the total number of Pokemon to over 1000. We're currently at 809, I believe. Meaning that the Pokemon introduced in this region may well be over 200 new Pokemon. Now, I don't know how many Pokemon they're cutting from Gen Sw/Sh, but I would much rather they spend time working on up to 200 brand new, well-designed beasties for a fresh region than filling it with 809 existing Pokemon, oh and some new ones I guess
I can live with Pokemon’s decision just for that fact. I am really tired of them making so few Pokémon for the past 2 generations, so I’ll take the no national Dex for more new Pokémon.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
I'm of the opposite mind. I think the solution should have been to stop making new Pokemon and instead just make new regions. If I were to pick a cutoff point, I would pick Gen IV. Arceus is as good a stopping point as any. Mind you, now that they've made them there are a lot I really like and would not want to go away, but if they hadn't made them in the first place I wouldn't know what I was missing and I think it would have been better that way. But that ship has long since sailed. Still, Gen VII wouldn't have been a terrible cutoff point.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Pretty sure I won't be changing anybody's minds now matter how big a wall of text I write, so

1. Content isn't created for free. Sure, TCPI has more money than god and probably could just Throw Money At the Problem if they wanted to. But they also don't actually want to just flush all that money down the toilet. I'm sure swsh are already going to be retailing at $60, does anyone want to pay even more than $60 for a Pokémon game?

By the way, Sun / Moon sold in the ballpark of 16 million units. I'd be hard pressed to believe that everyone who is mad enough to boycott Pokémon for life over this would even come close to 1% of that. The angriest voices are always way in the minority, always.

2. The question was never "if" there would be too many Pokémon to put in one game, but "when." It was always "when." And I don't know why I was initially surprised that the Internet was upset about the fact that the day had come.

3. The people who say "just recycle the 3DS game assets!" are kidding themselves.

4. It's a friggin' video game. Nobody's going to die.

5. Video games are an industry.

6. You can be unhappy that your favorites aren't getting in or whatever but this is just another weekly reminder that the gaming community seriously needs to go out and play in the sunshine for a while.

tl;dr the whole thing is stupid and I can't wait for Ubisoft to announce a new game or something so the hate mob leaves my Twitter feed.

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
Switch FC
5531-8213-8624
IGN
Cali
Pretty sure I won't be changing anybody's minds now matter how big a wall of text I write, so

1. Content isn't created for free. Sure, TCPI has more money than god and probably could just Throw Money At the Problem if they wanted to. But they also don't actually want to just flush all that money down the toilet. I'm sure swsh are already going to be retailing at $60, does anyone want to pay even more than $60 for a Pokémon game?

By the way, Sun / Moon sold in the ballpark of 16 million units. I'd be hard pressed to believe that everyone who is mad enough to boycott Pokémon for life over this would even come close to 1% of that. The angriest voices are always way in the minority, always.

2. The question was never "if" there would be too many Pokémon to put in one game, but "when." It was always "when." And I don't know why I was initially surprised that the Internet was upset about the fact that the day had come.

3. The people who say "just recycle the 3DS game assets!" are kidding themselves.

6. You can be unhappy that your favorites aren't getting in or whatever but this is just another weekly reminder that the gaming community seriously needs to go out and play in the sunshine for a while.

tl;dr the whole thing is stupid and I can't wait for Ubisoft to announce a new game or something so the hate mob leaves my Twitter feed.
I had to mute "Bringbacknationaldex" on my timeline. Every tweet I see Pokemon post, I click on it and it is all I see. I COULDN'T ENJOY THEN POSTING THE DEX ENTRY ABOUT DRAGONITE FOR THAT! I understand the frustration but it has just got too far. I wanna be able to be hype about the game without someone bombarding me with it.

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt

I had to mute "Bringbacknationaldex" on my timeline. Every tweet I see Pokemon post, I click on it and it is all I see. I COULDN'T ENJOY THEN POSTING THE DEX ENTRY ABOUT DRAGONITE FOR THAT! I understand the frustration but it has just got too far. I wanna be able to be hype about the game without someone bombarding me with it.
Yeah I got tired of this too. Even if my favorite Pokémon is not in the game I don’t think it would stop me from buying the game as long as it is good. There are tons of other things to look for in s Pokémon game other than using all Pokémon in existence. Also it’s not like you can use a Pokémon in battles just because you like it. It also needs to be good in the meta and who knows? Your old favorite who could not be strong enough to compete might become awesome with the mix of new Pokémon and the excluding of its past threats.

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00

I really hate the argument that "it's not the worst thing ever, so shut up" (ie fallacy of relative privation). Part of discussion in any fandom is saying what we like and dislike. If there's something a lot of people dislike, and they want to share that and explain their reasons why, I don't see why they shouldn't just because it's a game and not life and death. By that logic, we shouldn't be talking about any entertainment at all because it's not important. I think we can all agree that is absurd.

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt

I really hate the argument that "it's not the worst thing ever, so shut up" (ie fallacy of relative privation). Part of discussion in any fandom is saying what we like and dislike. If there's something a lot of people dislike, and they want to share that and explain their reasons why, I don't see why they shouldn't just because it's a game and not life and death. By that logic, we shouldn't be talking about any entertainment at all because it's not important. I think we can all agree that is absurd.
I agree that people should not dismiss it as stupid. It’s a valid concern that some people (you) have and others (me) don’t .
But yeah, it’s not stupid.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I agree that people should not dismiss it as stupid. It’s a valid concern that some people (you) have and others (me) don’t .
Like I said, I get why people are unhappy. But it's also gone utterly out of proportion, and there is no reason whatsoever for the controversy to be as ugly as it has, or for it to have gone on for as long as it has, and it hasn't really helped my opinion of the internet as a whole.

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Like I said, I get why people are unhappy. But it's also gone utterly out of proportion, and there is no reason whatsoever for the controversy to be as ugly as it has, or for it to have gone on for as long as it has, and it hasn't really helped my opinion of the internet as a whole.
Ugly? THAT little protest? I actually think it’s cute. Maybe annoyance. Not ugly though. It’s not like people are outside of the company’s building... right? 🤔

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
Switch FC
5531-8213-8624
IGN
Cali
Ugly? THAT little protest? I actually think it’s cute. Maybe annoyance. Not ugly though. It’s not like people are outside of the company’s building... right? 🤔
But someone also made a fake twitter account pretending to be an ex-game freak employee to make false claims of abuse against the staff, AKA Defimation.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
I was thinking about it, and I think I get why people would be sad. I've never been super involved in the games, but for some people, Pokémon become more real, and I get the sadness of not being able to play with that same Pokémon that was considered a friend. It's like if Ash wasn't allowed to take Pikachu to his next journey. I suppose for some it just wouldn't be the same. Sure, it's a chance to use new Pokémon, but many loved the Pokémon they met on their first journey.

Something that does annoy me a bit, though, is the constant complain of gen 1 pandering. The first gen Pokémon were the first ones Game Freak created. Maybe they, too, have an attatchment to their first Pokémon, just like everyone could have an attatchment to the first gen they played. And yes, I agree they could also give attention to Pokémon from other gens as well, because every gen has great ones. But there's nothing wrong with the first gen itself lol.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
at first I was massively disappointed... still am pretty disappointed, actually. but then I reflected on exactly why I feel like, as much as I liked SM/USUM, that a lot of the regional Pokemon seemed forgettable to me. because I didn't spend a whole lot of time with them, I wasn't able to properly develop any favourites from Alola bar like... Tapu Lele and the Rowlet line and that's it.

I'm moreso bummed out that I'm unable to transfer my shinies and rare Pokemon over, assuming those shinies/rare Pokemon won't be able to make it in (depending on who's in the dex and who isn't, I suppose). It's likely that my mythicals won't, which would be a bummer, but completely understandable.

Really though, it is what it is. As long as Game Freak introduces more new Pokemon to make up for the "loss" of the older ones, I suppose.

Silver

Ice Ice Baby
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Christian
I’ve had my opinion on this subject for a while now, but I wanted to wait until the dust settled to actually post it here. My thoughts basically sum up to: shrug.

I’m not gonna say that this is a good change, but it’s not a change that personally effects me. I’m not a collector at heart, much less a completionist, so the idea of being unable to store close to a thousand mons has little impact. Hell, I haven’t even brought over my mons from Gen VI to VII, and I haven’t renewed my subscription to Pokémon back for... uhhhh, several years? I also find “Gotta catch them all” to be pretty dated at this point, only sticking around as a moniker due to how iconic it was to 90s kids. Even if some of my personal favorites don’t make it in, I still find it more fun to experiment with the newbies rather than the vets that I might have already used millions of times before.

I get why people are upset, as some people can get really attached to some of the Pokémon out there as well use certain types of teams for competitive purposes. It just frustrates me when people completely disregard an unreleased game without giving it a chance. There have been plenty of games with controversial prereleases that have been well received, even critically acclaimed. So yeah, my sermon is over.