Let's Go Opinions on Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee?

Ape711

not infected by dragon virus
AKA
Andrew, Ape, Aep
Time Zone
Central Standard Time
Switch FC
SW-4903-4757-9682
IGN
Andrew
I have bought and am currently playing it (Eevee), but (and everyone is entitled to their own opinion) I think its the weakest game so far. I think that the game does look good, but the horrible leveling system and lack of wild pokemon battles really have been ruining it for me. For example of horrible leveling: Viridian Forest, last trainer, has one level 3 metapod, and thats it. Brock, who is only 4 fights after this, has two pokemon, geodude and onix, at levels 11 and 12 respectively. I thought i was overleveled going into the gym, with my highest mon beinhg level 8. but i was actually horribly underleveled, and now i have been confused o where i should be for the rest of the game. And, even with that, I soloed brock (sure, it was with a bulbasaur, but w/e). A similar thing happened with misty. None the less, i am still enojoying it, and would probably encourage buying it, except i think 60$ is too much.

Arceus

Prismatic Trainer
AKA
James, Chandelure
Time Zone
EST
Getting through 2 badges now, I think I can say I'm enough of the way through to begin formulating an opinion. Thus far I've enjoyed it a lot! That being said, I do feel like it's a much weaker entry in the series.

The watering down of the mechanics is definitely felt, in my case pretty acutely. I feel like I'm used to something much richer. I'm interested to hear that people are going underleveled through things though. I had the opposite experience entirely. After Viridian Forest, I waltzed into Brock's gym with no prep and mopped the floor. Utterly. There really hasn't been a single battle yet where I've felt threatened by fear of failure. I almost feel no need to prepare for anything at all so far! The greatest challenge has just been avoiding using Eevee alone. At least in LGE, the partner pokemon seems so so overpowered!

I did end up getting the version with Pokeball Plus so I guess I'll comment on that too. I love it! I took Mew out to dinner with me and it was the cutest thing! I also love how it handles control wise. I played PoGo for like idk a week or two? I never got a hang of the controls, but this controller is easing me in really well!

In regards to story, jury's out. I haven't gotten far enough. I do know like a single spoiler so I'll mark that.
I know Green is in the game, and that the Red/Blue/Green trio is pretty much the manga version of the trio. I'll need to see how it plays out myself, but I feel like anime and manga mixing will be strange to say the least. I have always wanted a little more of the manga to influence the main series though! I'm a giant fanboy of PokeSpe!

Generally, it just feels, I don't know, a little weird. The game has a lot of heart, that's pretty much a given, but I feel like it sacrificed a lot of its mechanical integrity to that end. Perhaps I'll have more to say with more play time.

Ape711

not infected by dragon virus
AKA
Andrew, Ape, Aep
Time Zone
Central Standard Time
Switch FC
SW-4903-4757-9682
IGN
Andrew
let me clarify: I never had trouble with Brock, I soloed him with Bulbasaur. I just felt the level gap was really wide from the end of viridian forest to brock, and then brock ended up being really easy. I'm just about to fight surge and my opinion hasnt changed that much, all though the level curve was a lot better this time around, with the SS Anne and all

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I’m really enjoying it! The game has a decent difficulty (without the starter in the party, and battle mode on set) the remixed music is amazing, and it’s well optimized for the switch.

Last edited:

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
[Have obtained Cascade Badge]

Ok! So this game is actually very easy and fast paced than I remembered the old games. I used to dread Brock and Misty (because Charmander), but here, Eevee legit plowed through them with ease. Considering Eevee will never evolve, I guess it explains why his stats are legit OP than what I think it should be.

I'm sad it'll cost me $20 to get Alakazam. It's like the GBA games all over again if you were the lone Pokemon fan. I understand the "nostalgia" is a big thing, but I didn't mean it completely.

Grinding is through catching Pokemon. Catch a ton of Pokemon. Combo if you can. Otherwise you will be underleveled. But even underleveled, Eevee is still OP.

Sizzly Slide, Buzzy Buzz and Bouncy Bubble are the most broken Pokemon moves ever.

Last edited:

Rubad Ubdub

Pokemon GO delete this post
AKA
nus3bank, bncrock, BHDude
Time Zone
US Mountain Time
The game is as easy or hard as you make it for yourself, but even then you really have to hold yourself back to make it hard. It's very easy. I never really struggled in the newer games. They've gotten easier and easier and I'm not a fan. This is the easiest entry yet. Not only that, but a bunch of features were removed to "simplify" the game play. It only has 151 plus mega and alolans. It's the third remake of Kanto, cashing in once again on nostalgia. It's very short. Music was ok but it's a very barebones compilation of Kanto remixes that didn't do it for me. It has frame rate issues occasionally because Gamefreak is allergic to 3D games I guess. It was clearly rushed and is rough around the edges. Above all else, it's a $60 game. No, sorry, I really can't back this one up. I'm glad I got to play it without paying for it because it's not worth what they're charging. Sometimes I felt it wasn't worth half of what they charged. I'd rather buy another copy of Moon and play through it again.

I understand the value of something varies from person to person and I refuse to give anyone a hard time because they like this game because I'm glad they felt they got their money's worth and had a good time, but at the same time I can't help but feel people are settling for mediocrity and this will encourage Gamefreak to be more scummy with future launches.

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
The main thing I care about in video games is how it makes me feel and how immersed I am in the game. I really adore this game, it's so laidback and casual. I really feel like a Pokemon trainer in this game, and the low difficulty is really enjoyable to a very casual gamer like me. The mechanics while different, are still really fun.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
it helps me unwind after work and that alone is invaluable to me. i’m not one to care much about difficulty in pokemon anyway and watching my eevee be cute and wreck stuff while having a ton of fun catching stuff and exploring and seeing all the attention to detail they put in, really satisfies me. It may be more simple and casual, but what they did put forward, to me feels like it was created with a lot of love. Like, the way every pokemon has their own way of following you or carrying you or riding them around, and the models and animation too, it all feels polished to me. So while it is relatively shallow with content and features/mechanics (from what i hear anyway... i’m not very far) the stuff that is there feels high quality and it’s FUN!! Unlike the Alola games which felt like they stretched themselves too thin - 4 whole islands and somehow still felt so empty and boring.

Ruellia

Lively Kooky
Hi guys!! 🙋‍♀️

So lately I've been playing Let's Go Pikachu and the reviews are very very polarizing! I've heard people say things like this game is sooo amazing while others have sadi it's just a overpriced watered down Yellow remake, but I'd like to know what you think! As for me I dunno if I'm just super liberal but I actually thought the game was wonderful and I've been playing Pokemon since I was 4 years old so it's not like I can't understand the ancient fossils who are jaded and hate the game bc it's different.

Soooo onto my thoughts. I actually thought the game was pretty fun mainly because I adored the graphics. I loved having my favorite Pokemon follow me, and all of the stater interactions which were just adorable. Other than that, I thought it was different but not so much in a bad way?? I mean it definitely seemed a bit watered down in some aspects sure like there being no held items, abilities, no breeding, no safari zone, bicycles, etc and yes I'm aware that Yellow itself excluded abilities.

The catching mechanics are another thing bc I get many people don't like change but I actually found them to be pretty neat! It's sorta like every wild battle encounter took place in safari zone, except with motion controls. I also felt like there were many things the game did right like for instance requiring the trainer to meet certain prerequisites before entering a gym, TMs being permanent, HMs not requiring moveslots, all of the detail they put into each Pokemon's overworld animations, the GO parks, etc.

But addressing criticism yes the game is incredibly easy, much easier than yellow and I beat it in like 5 hours. If you're good at catching Pokemon and use lures you can level up incredibly fast and yes I get why people complain about the price and honestly I would too if I wasn't borrowing my sister's game. I also get why people feel it's watered down but I think people are a bit harsh w/ some of their criticisms. What do you guys think? Do you agree or disagree w/ me? I'd love to know! Also are you team Eevee or team Pikachu? :D

[Staff edit: Ruellia, Your thread has been moved into another, pre-existing thread with the same topic. In the future please double-check that you're not duplicating a topic! Thank you!]

Last edited by a moderator:

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
Far too easy and suffers a lot from being restricted to Kanto Pokedex. Plays amazing, except for Koga's gym. Cool to see buddy Pokemon again, happy it's made it way into Gen 8 a little bit.