Scramble Para's Red Scramble

Paracosmic

New Trainer
Para's Red Scramble

I'm doing a Red Scramble Challenge...sort of. Rather than have other users pick my team, I've used a random number generator to pick twelve different Pokemon. These are the only Pokemon I can use on my team. The exceptions are necessary HM buddies and any temporary Pokemon used to fill out the team before I get the first Pokemon.

And that's honestly about it. I wanted something simple that would give me more motivation to go actually finish a game.

I also won't be revealing the Pokemon on my list until I get them. Feel free to guess! Some are easier than others, of course.

:caterpie: - Orrin​
:pokeball:

Up next: TBA

Last edited:

Paracosmic

New Trainer
Strix vs. Gander

And we're off!

Adam, having just stumbled out the door, is wondering where Oak is. He's supposedly in the (very empty) lab. Adam's neighbor and rival/best friend, Lyle, is waiting for Oak, too. Apparently Oak ran out to put in a mail order for a Very Important Parcel, and will be back shortly.

Impatient, Adam decides to look for Oak himself. He's not at the post office, but the guy at the counter says Oak just left. Adam makes his way back to the lab, but Oak is still not there. He likes to wander along Route 1, though. Maybe he's just gotten distracted by something and forgot about his meeting with his junior assistants?

It's just as Adam is about to make his way into the tall grass in Route 1 that he hears it.

"STOP!" Oak calls out. "IT'S NOT SAFE!"

Adam turns around and sees the professor running towards him, gasping for breath. He appears to have run some ways to catch Adam, but where, in fact, was he? Must have been some circuitous route back to the lab. From the post office.

Oak takes Adam back to the lab, where Lyle still waits (apparently he's the more patient one for once).

"Where's my pokemon?" Lyle asks. Well, apparently he's not that patient.

"Be patient," Oak says. Adam wants to tell Oak that's probably not the right thing to say to his perpetually impatient grandson, but hey, that's his problem. Adam's pretty excited for his pokemon, too. If Oak is gonna let him pick first, well, he's not arguing.

The theme of the day appears to be scaled pokemon. A dinosaur-plant-thing, a turtle, and a fire-breathing lizard. Well, Adam knows what he's picking.

But wait! There's more!

Lyle wants to battle. Oak explains that these pokemon have grown up together, have never battled each other. Adam is hesitant, but Lyle insists. "It's the only way we'll each get better," he says, which makes sense.

So Adam instructs his new :squirtle:, Strix, to fight.

"Go, Gander!" Lyle says, just like the hotshot pokemon trainers on TV. His :bulbasaur: stomps out, determined to win this little skirmish.

And it is a very little skirmish. Neither pokemon knows much, especially not the fancy moves they use on TV. Still, Strix wins, and Adam is happy. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea, after all.

In a nutshell, here's what happened:
  1. Named my PC Adam. Rival's name is Lyle.
  2. Received my starter, :squirtle: - named Strix.
  3. Beat Lyle's :bulbasaur: in the first rival battle.

:squirtle: - Strix
Water | Level 6
Tackle | Tail Whip

My thoughts: Squirtle isn't on the list, so Strix may or may not be a temporary member of the team. Still, I can't complain. The rival battle was pretty straightforward -- lots of Tackles, and Bulbasaur had a lot of failed Growls, which made me absurdly happy. I used one tail whip, which I think is a record for me. Looking forward to getting those water moves, though. Somehow I don't see Strix going up against Gander like that again -- though I thought it was a cool name combo. Might work that into a short story or something.

QOTD: Do you use a naming theme? If you do, what's your favorite theme to use? If you don't, why not?

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Naming theme, huh? I use it in both my locke and scramble here. For my scramble, I use the names of whoever gave the Pokemon to me in the first place. And for my locke, I go for Digimon names because, well, the story involves lots of Digimon crossovers.

Paracosmic

New Trainer
A Bug in the Grass

@SAF - Digimon! I haven't seen anything with that in forever! That's a cool naming scheme for a scramble, too. :D

Adam and Strix leave Pallet Town several days later, on a quest for Professor Oak. His Very Important Parcel is stuck at the Viridian post office because of a strike at a shipping company.

It takes several hours to get to the city. They don't move too quickly, and so are hampered by every pack of wild pokemon they come across. Whole flocks of pidgey gather around them when they eat lunch. They do not feed the birds.

Closer to the city, it appears that one of the pidgey is having trouble with its meal, :caterpie:. Strix scares it away. Adam rushes the injured :caterpie: into the city. He collapses dramatically at the the doors to the Center, and the nurses take the :caterpie: away.

---

The next week, Adam and Strix return to the city. This time they're on a different mission: to take a message to Oak's friends on the Indigo Plateau. His internet is out (another day, another strike,) and he can't reply to their request to come visit them. The Plateau is a long way from the city, and Adam decides to rest up at the Center, which is free for Professor Oak's friends.

He wakes to a banging on his door. It's a nurse, and she's holding the :caterpie: from before! She wants to know where he's been and when he plans on picking up his poor pokemon. Adam tries to argue, but fails, and the nurse leaves :caterpie: in his arms before storming off.

In a nutshell, here's what happened:
  1. Bypassed my rival, Lyle, temporarily.
  2. Caught Orrin, a :caterpie:, in Viridian Forest.
  3. Began training Orrin.

:squirtle: - Strix
Water | Level 10
Tackle | Tail Whip | Bubble

:caterpie: - Orrin
Bug | Level 10
Tackle | String Shot

My thoughts: So, the first pokemon on the list is :caterpie:. I honestly didn't think this one through -- probably going to end up using Strix for the rival battle on Route 22 and against Brock. I need to make a rule about this for future runs. I do have a pokemon on the list who could handle it, but it would take so much grinding as to be impractical. So for now I'm going to take this as the lesson it is an just roll with it.

QOTD: Weedle vs. Caterpie -- which do you like better? I like :weedle: for the poison type, but :caterpie: is cuter.

Reactions: SAF