Peace Of Mind - A Mental Health Club

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
The most important person in your life is yourself. You're the one who's gotta live with all of your thoughts and mannerisms. Friends, family, partners, all wonderful support. During tough times, leaning entirely on someone else for emotional support is fine, but I think everyone should learn to manage their mental health and emotions on their own - the ability to reflect on your emotions and recover on your own is a very powerful trait.

As far as procrastination: you cannot perform at your 100% all of the time. If I'm too tired to do an assignment properly, I'll do something else and then the assignment tomorrow. There's no point doing the assignment when I'm too tired to write things coherently. Good time management helps prevent cases where you haven't done enough and the due date is right around the corner.

My mental health has been okay lately. I'm just really stressed from this semester of uni and all things going on my life. Just like, constant maximum stress. I'm dealing with it well, though. I'll be ok.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I’m really happy about developing a thick skin like this. I feel like I can handle anything.
Its great news to see you handling things better! Keep it up, you're working hard, it'll definitely pay off!

Okay, how does one convince themselves that they aren’t a horrible person for getting distracted and not working on homework all day?
I totally get where you're coming from, I'm super far behind with 2 of my classes and every day that I don't do any work I feel like I'm wasting time, but don't beat yourself up over it friend. Today was a slip up, sure, and it'll probably be a pain in the ass to deal with tomorrow, but getting distracted is really kind of a normal thing to do. That being said, when it is time to get **** done, make sure you pace yourself; you don't want to work all day and exhaust yourself. Best of luck with your schoolwork, I'm sure you can get it done!

Music also helped a lot, tbh. I didn't always have music playing when doing assignments because it would distract me, but if I was out at school and trying to work on stuff, I found music to really help me focus more on my assignments and not so much on what was around me.
This is definitely good advice, though if I know the lyrics to something I won't be able to think because I'll just be thinking of the song lol. I usually end up listening to ambient noise to block out sounds if I'm trying to focus.

My mental health has been okay lately. I'm just really stressed from this semester of uni and all things going on my life. Just like, constant maximum stress. I'm dealing with it well, though. I'll be ok.
Uni this time of year is usually pretty stressful but it's good to hear you're handling it friend. Hang in there and tough it out, course I dunno how long you have left or what else your life is entailing atm but hopefully it'll calm down soon and you can relax a bit. We all got your back if y'ever need us though-

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Music also helped a lot, tbh. I didn't always have music playing when doing assignments because it would distract me, but if I was out at school and trying to work on stuff, I found music to really help me focus more on my assignments and not so much on what was around me.
This is definitely good advice, though if I know the lyrics to something I won't be able to think because I'll just be thinking of the song lol. I usually end up listening to ambient noise to block out sounds if I'm trying to focus.
I gotta second this too, though I personally don't find the ambient noise helpful. Instead, classical music and games' soundtracks (especially the more upbeat ones) are my go-to for working on stuffs. Most of them don't have any lyrics to worry about, y'see.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I gotta second this too, though I personally don't find the ambient noise helpful. Instead, classical music and games' soundtracks (especially the more upbeat ones) are my go-to for working on stuffs. Most of them don't have any lyrics to worry about, y'see.
Yeah, music with lyrics never really helped me out too much either if I was really trying to focus on an assignment. If I didn't care so much about the assignment and it wasn't as stressful for me to get it done, I wouldn't mind listening to stuff with lyrics. But if I really needed to get something done, I'd turn on the instrumental music and let that go and that helped more than lyrics. I actually have separate playlists on my Spotify for all my music, and I have one called Concentration that's all instrumental music, whether it's from movies or games or just stuff I've found/had shared with me that I've liked, that I use for when I really need to focus.

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Sooo, gotta make this spoilery because it's about one of my adversities ._.
Back in my sign-up form, I wrote "suicidal thoughts only in certain situations" as my adversity. That "certain situation" is when my parents scold me and/or talk about my so-called "bad things" for whatever reasons. For some backgrounds, I've been forbidden from moving out even as an uni student. Probably that's why I'm prone to lamenting "I regret going home" (or even worse, wanting to die) and only feel better when I'm away from my parents (either I'm home alone or I go out on my own).

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
@SAF God, I can't imagine being forbidden to move out when family life is that stressful. Unfortunately I have no advice of any kind because my family life, luckily, has been good. All I can say is don't let them get to you, its frustrating beyond belief I'm sure, but know that you will get through it. Of course, I don't know what they scold you about but keep your chin up as much as you can friend, it always pays off when its over. If y'ever need support you've got everyone in this group, we've all got your back! I'm only sorry I cannot help more

Reactions: SAF

Vivid Stardust

~ Like Stars In The Sky ~
AKA
Vivid, Apollo
Lately, I feel like I’ve been too dependent on asking for other people’s opinions and like I’ve been venting my problems to people too much, and it’s frustrating. I’ve always been an indecisive person, and I struggle with making even basic decisions sometimes because I don’t know what I want or need. I’m trying to decide what therapist I want to go to before the end of the weekend, and I really want to talk to one of my irl friends about it, but I also feel like I shouldn’t need help deciding on something like that. I feel like I’ve been asking for advice about everything lately, and I’m in a state where I feel like a burden for venting and asking for advice so much, but at the same time, I feel like I need to talk to someone about what I’m thinking and ask for advice because I don’t know what I’m doing. Maybe going to a therapist will help, but I don’t know. I guess I don’t know if it’s going to help because all of the therapists I’ve had were not the best, and I feel like they just made me feel worse.

I am probably going to talk to a friend about it tomorrow, but still...I feel like I shouldn’t be relying on others so much.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
My brain has a habit of never being quiet. If I’m not talking, listening, or have a song stuck in my head, I’m thinking. Back when I was depressed, my brain would use most of that thinking time to barrage me with painful memories and worries. I’m not sure if that happens to everyone diagnosed with depression, but that’s how it went. As a response, I developed a personal technique that worked around that brain never being quiet issue.

Basically, I interrupt the anxious thoughts with other subjects or positive self talk. Am I reminding myself of those bullies at school? Think of my long term goals and how I can achieve them instead. Thinking about those times you got your hopes up on people who weren’t interested in you? Remind yourself of the caring friends and family members you have.

At first it felt I was making things seem better than they were, but in reality I was controlling the nasty voice that brought me down. It’s become a habit to interrupt it with other thoughts. Even if it comes back every now and then, I can always remind myself of the positive things that exist in my life.

It’s a long process, but I implore every person stuck in depression to do whatever it takes to get through it. As cliché as it sounds, things do get better and you can train yourself to control those thoughts. I guarantee it gets better.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
A thing I realized the other day was when I was in a toxic living situation, I had this fear that I was constantly being watched, that wherever I went, someone from the leadership of the house (or someone they knew) was watching and going back to them. We had to do weekly schedules for them (not that they actually looked at them because they always seemed to want my mom and I to do stuff when we had to work), and I would always put that I would be at work from 2pm-10pm, even though I wasn't always scheduled for those hours because I would go into work at the same time as my mom even if I worked a couple hours later because if I didn't go in when she did, I would have to rely on an Uber (which costs money that I didn't want to spend) or ask someone at the house to give me a ride to work, and they were incredibly unreliable people. On the days where I didn't work at 2pm, I would walk around the mall and window shop or maybe play games at the arcade inside for a little while or grab something to eat at the mall or somewhere else nearby, or I'd go walk around the shopping center where I worked, or sometimes I'd do grocery shopping so I could have some food to eat, or I'd go to the park down the street if I felt like it. But wherever I went, I would just feel anxious, like someone was there and watching me and telling those people that were on the leadership team of the house. The same also applied if I got off before 10pm because I'd also go hang out in the mall and sit around and wait for my mom to get off. (Her co-workers know me and let me sit around, and sometimes I do walk around with her and they don't care too much, just if something happens, I have to stay out of the way.)

I've been out of that house for a little over 3 months now, and the other day, it just crossed my mind that I was no longer anxious when I went out and did stuff before work. I no longer cared if anyone was watching me and reporting it to the leadership of that house. It's a little concerning if that actually is happening, especially since I no longer live there, but to my knowledge, it never was happening and it was just a fear I had deep down that's gone away since I've been out of that environment. I can go to the park and play Pokemon Go for a few hours before work, and the only person that'll really care is my mom, and even then, she wouldn't really care to the point of being mad so long as I was okay and made it to work okay. I can go walk around the mall or the park or the shopping center I work at without feeling super anxious, and it's such a freeing feeling. I feel like I have my freedom back, and that's honestly the best feeling in the world.

Of course, there's still the fear that there is someone watching me, but it's more me just being cautious of the people around me and wanting to be aware of who's around me in case there is a bad person around me. That's a fear I've always had because I was always raised to be aware of the people around me and to be careful because you never know what kind of people can be out there, and obviously, no one wants something bad to happen to them while they're out trying to do some shopping in a mall or wherever.

Lately, I feel like I’ve been too dependent on asking for other people’s opinions and like I’ve been venting my problems to people too much, and it’s frustrating. I’ve always been an indecisive person, and I struggle with making even basic decisions sometimes because I don’t know what I want or need. I’m trying to decide what therapist I want to go to before the end of the weekend, and I really want to talk to one of my irl friends about it, but I also feel like I shouldn’t need help deciding on something like that. I feel like I’ve been asking for advice about everything lately, and I’m in a state where I feel like a burden for venting and asking for advice so much, but at the same time, I feel like I need to talk to someone about what I’m thinking and ask for advice because I don’t know what I’m doing. Maybe going to a therapist will help, but I don’t know. I guess I don’t know if it’s going to help because all of the therapists I’ve had were not the best, and I feel like they just made me feel worse.

I am probably going to talk to a friend about it tomorrow, but still...I feel like I shouldn’t be relying on others so much.
As someone who tends to keep a lot of their thoughts and feelings to themselves (even though it probably doesn't seem like it as much here), I 100% encourage you to share your thoughts and feelings and ask for opinions. Sometimes hearing it from someone else can help you make a choice, even if it's something as small as "what should I eat today?" It is 100% better to get it out than to bottle it up inside of you because then it just gets more and more frustrating. I just also want to suggest not venting or asking advice of the same person all the time, but having a group of people you can trust and talk to when you need to vent or get advice. I've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt for venting and asking advice of the same person constantly, and it didn't end well for me and I'm now having to learn to trust in more than one person instead of just a single person. I say this because that one person may get overwhelmed with everything and not be able to handle it, and then everything will blow up and it won't be good for either party. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to you because I wouldn't wish it on anyone though. Don't be afraid to talk to people though; you're not a burden, and it's better to get it out than keep it in.

My brain has a habit of never being quiet. If I’m not talking, listening, or have a song stuck in my head, I’m thinking. Back when I was depressed, my brain would use most of that thinking time to barrage me with painful memories and worries. I’m not sure if that happens to everyone diagnosed with depression, but that’s how it went. As a response, I developed a personal technique that worked around that brain never being quiet issue.

Basically, I interrupt the anxious thoughts with other subjects or positive self talk. Am I reminding myself of those bullies at school? Think of my long term goals and how I can achieve them instead. Thinking about those times you got your hopes up on people who weren’t interested in you? Remind yourself of the caring friends and family members you have.

At first it felt I was making things seem better than they were, but in reality I was controlling the nasty voice that brought me down. It’s become a habit to interrupt it with other thoughts. Even if it comes back every now and then, I can always remind myself of the positive things that exist in my life.

It’s a long process, but I implore every person stuck in depression to do whatever it takes to get through it. As cliché as it sounds, things do get better and you can train yourself to control those thoughts. I guarantee it gets better.
This is 100% a mood. I've been struggling a bit lately with negative thoughts relating to past relationships and now work at times. I'll lay in bed sometimes at night and question if I'm ever good enough for someone, tell myself I'm a burden, tell myself I should just quit my job because I screwed something little up and got talked to about it, or just other negative thoughts that just bring me down. But then I have to get myself into a mindset where I tell myself the opposite of those things, that I will be good enough for someone, that I'm not a burden, that I shouldn't quit my job because I got talked to about something I messed up because I should use that as a lesson to get better at my job, or whatever the opposite is of how I'm feeling. I have to remind myself that it will indeed get better.

I'm still learning to control the negative thoughts, but I feel like as long as I get my mind away from them and remind myself that it's okay and go towards the positive instead of the negative, it'll be okay. If I get too caught up in the negative, it gets me down to the point where I don't want to do anything, but if I can turn it into a positive, I can keep working towards positives.

smoky

miss americana
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i rlly wanna help everyone that isn’t doin good rn but idk how i can honestly. i’m thinkin bout all of u tho <3

anxiety and depression has been a ***** and i’ve been feelin like absolute **** lately. i’m on a normal sleep schedule (10 pm - 6 am) but i’m still super tired during the day and i just wanna lie in bed all day long

i feel rlly bad that the prozac i’m on and the therapy hasn’t rlly been doin wonders bc i feel like my therapist is wasting her time and my parents are wastin money. idk

i found some edit of a song i rlly like in my recommend page on youtube and it’s supposed to sound like ur “drowning in a bathtub” and as funny as that is, it’s like been a whole ass mood these past couple days and i’ve been feelin rlly suicidal and like the world would be better off without me. there’s so much that just feels worthless to me in life and i just wanna escape everything. i’ve been rlly inactive bc i just wanna distance myself bc i don’t wanna make people annoyed with me bc im not doin too hot mentally. the other day i rlly wanted to just end it all but like i wasn’t sure if i could or not. it’s been a lot. i’m a rlly self deprecating person irl and i feel like i gotta be peppy and happy or whatever but i just dOnT fEeL tHaT wAy

edit: also a couple days ago i had a dream where i was cryin the entire time and i googled it and apparently it means my psyche or whatever is tryin to release the emotions i’m suppressing bc i don’t cry much anymore irl hahahahahaaa fun

in conclusion, life sucks and i’m ready to yeet myself out of this life

Mudkip_Mishchief

Goodbye
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Carson, Mudkip
IGN
bbop
welp im busy 7 days a week either will college, work, or volunteer work so sorry im not aroudnd. my gf and i broke up so that sucks, but ill be okay.

i rlly wanna help everyone that isn’t doin good rn but idk how i can honestly. i’m thinkin bout all of u tho <3

anxiety and depression has been a ***** and i’ve been feelin like absolute **** lately. i’m on a normal sleep schedule (10 pm - 6 am) but i’m still super tired during the day and i just wanna lie in bed all day long

i feel rlly bad that the prozac i’m on and the therapy hasn’t rlly been doin wonders bc i feel like my therapist is wasting her time and my parents are wastin money. idk

i found some edit of a song i rlly like in my recommend page on youtube and it’s supposed to sound like ur “drowning in a bathtub” and as funny as that is, it’s like been a whole ass mood these past couple days and i’ve been feelin rlly suicidal and like the world would be better off without me. there’s so much that just feels worthless to me in life and i just wanna escape everything. i’ve been rlly inactive bc i just wanna distance myself bc i don’t wanna make people annoyed with me bc im not doin too hot mentally. the other day i rlly wanted to just end it all but like i wasn’t sure if i could or not. it’s been a lot. i’m a rlly self deprecating person irl and i feel like i gotta be peppy and happy or whatever but i just dOnT fEeL tHaT wAy

edit: also a couple days ago i had a dream where i was cryin the entire time and i googled it and apparently it means my psyche or whatever is tryin to release the emotions i’m suppressing bc i don’t cry much anymore irl hahahahahaaa fun
in conclusion, life sucks and i’m ready to yeet myself out of this life

might sound silly but a cup of joe or something like that might be nice just to get you up and going for the day, that or if you don't believe in caffeine or whatever, running/lifting weights is great too. Working out is especially good, because the endorphins your body releases will make you happier and im not saying completely, but might ease the sadness and depression. All it takes is that initial start and you're set Its good for you too! Im gonna start. Please dont let these bad thoughts get to your head, know I'm here for you and that we all luv you, fren <3

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
i feel rlly bad that the prozac i’m on and the therapy hasn’t rlly been doin wonders
It takes a few months for anti-depressants to start working. Keep that in mind, and don't give up just because 1 out of an endless amount of solutions didn't work. You can do this! If you want to feel better/different, then I believe you can. You just need that desire and some help along the way and you can do anything. Give yourself credit for keeping at life for this long, Kaleb. You're doing amazing. "Amazing" doesn't have to mean "never had a negative thought and Great".

@SAF I understand your situation. At times, my mental health has been absolutely horrible due to similar reasons. Feel free to message me if you want, I really hope what I've been through can help you somehow.

I feel like I’ve been too dependent on asking for other people’s opinions and like I’ve been venting my problems to people too much
I feel this too. :( It sucks but it's not necessarily a bad thing to ask for help and opinions about a lot of things. My advice for venting is to find people who will listen to you and love you unconditionally no matter what. I have done my best to surround myself with people who will support me when I want to vent and people who won't judge me for some ridiculous issue I want to vent about.

My brain has a habit of never being quiet.
Same. I have been getting better at reducing negative thoughts, too. Great post btw, I love your positivity. I hope things go well for you!

Mudkip_Mishchief

Goodbye
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Carson, Mudkip
IGN
bbop
Omg so this melatonin stuff is kinda working woop, sure i need to take a lot to get it to work, so ill burn through bottles pretty fast but its so worth ittttt

happy times

Luke Strife

"Long live the king."
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
GMT
I'll give a quick check-in. I touched on this in the chatterbox thread, but things aren't great for me right now. I'm coping as best I can but I'm certainly losing sleep over the stress and anxiety of the stuff at work. I'll keep on keeping on.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
Do your best, Luke!

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Omg so this melatonin stuff is kinda working woop, sure i need to take a lot to get it to work, so ill burn through bottles pretty fast but its so worth ittttt
I'm glad you're feeling better! I used to worry about relying on meds and stuff but honestly after finally getting some prescribed to me they are an absolute godsend and I'm not (as much of) an anxious wreck anymore.

I'll give a quick check-in. I touched on this in the chatterbox thread, but things aren't great for me right now. I'm coping as best I can but I'm certainly losing sleep over the stress and anxiety of the stuff at work. I'll keep on keeping on.
Chin up friend! It is definitely a pain in the ass but you'll pull through! We got your back!

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria, Lycoris
Time Zone
UTC+2
I'm going to post here why I rant often so much.

I'm not that type of person who shows their emotions very often irl and I don't show emotions such as anger publicly and since I don't do that, I have to show it somewhere else. I'm also stressed very often and have to cope with something, and ranting helps it. I try to not rant and be angry, but since I live a stressful life, it is very hard to do.

On the other note, can my icon be changed to this? Thanks in advance!

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
I'm not that type of person who shows their emotions very often irl and I don't show emotions such as anger publicly and since I don't do that, I have to show it somewhere else.
Honestly I totally relate, I still don't like talking about myself because I feel guilty and selfish when I do but I definitely rant and am more open with internet friends than I am in real life. Even if I don't know em all too well. On the bright side that's what this club is here for, innit? At the very least you shouldn't have to feel bad about ranting and stuff in this thread. Plus there's the "what made you angry today" thread which always helps.

Screw it since I'm here might as well have a bit of a ranty update on my dumbass life
I just want to be DONE with uni already jesus christ. I managed to get through my prototyping coursework so I only have one more and I really am not looking forward to doing it but oh well. The main thing is I want my roommates (except for 1 who's a close friend) to **** off honestly how can you be so antisocial all year and then go about stealing all my ****? Why do I ever leave anything in the kitchen? Why have I had 3 tea towels stolen, obviously they're not even going to use them because they don't ****ing clean anything. The sink has had unwashed plates and trays in it for what must be close to 1 and a half months. This is all mostly minor irritations but GOD it irritates me.

Honestly, ignoring the uni stress, I don't even know why, but I feel like I'm gonna have a breakdown. Maybe I'm just reaching a breaking point again, I don't know. This is really the only place I have to ramble about things like this now as well. Almost all of my close internet friends have moved on from me and the 3 I do still have are really busy with work and I barely even talk to em anymore.
I'm glad I rejoined the forums, you guys are all so genuine. I feel comfortable being honest about these things.
I appreciate you all. Thanks for being you everyone.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Katey
i don't complain a lot.

but that statement is going to sound really ridiculous to most people here, because i complain a ****ton on this here community. in general i really try to keep quiet about my struggles but they gotta come out somewhere, and i end up ranting on the forums and our discord chats. been feeling really really ****ty about it lately. i guess the best thing to remember is that it's not the act of ranting that's a bad thing, it's the fact you have a lot to rant about in the first place - you have to go take control and fix what you can so you can be an overall happier person and have less to be upset about. and practice seeing the good in life and knowing all this sad is very temporary! easier said than done of course but it's something i gotta remember, too

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I generally keep stressful stuff to myself sometimes, to the point where it bottles up and comes out in a mass of anger and frustration over something so small and trivial.

Of course, like Katey, that's not always so obvious since I too have ranted a little bit on Discord, mainly about work stuff though and sometimes also gaming stuff.

I think it's just important to note the difference between ranting every once in a while because you need to get something off your chest and constantly ranting. It's one thing to do it because you need to get something off your chest; sometimes just talking about it helps and gets your mind off it and helps you feel better. It's another to constantly rant about everything and anything, and I think it's just important to take a moment and think if it's really worth ranting about it. Is it just something trivial or is it something big that's really impacting your life right now? Is it something that'll pass in a few hours and won't really matter or is it still going to be just as important in a few hours as it is in that moment? Is it something you can easily fix or is it something that maybe you need a little help fixing? It's not a bad thing to rant; it's good to get things off of your chest. It's just not good when you're constantly ranting and not taking initiative to change what's causing you to be upset in the first place and make yourself less upset.

One thing I'm still trying to learn is not always bottling stuff up until one little thing that's so trivial pushes me over the edge and gets me ranting about the silliest, dumbest thing. I'm trying to learn to be more open about my emotions and share my thoughts, within reason because I don't want to make myself or others uncomfortable by being too open. It's a process, of course, but sometimes change takes time, and that's okay.

We're here for ya, friend. ♥