• Staff Applications

Hello fellow Marrilanders! We have reached a point for our staff team where recruiting new members is necessary — so we are opening up applications!
    If you are interested, you can find more information in this thread.

Peace Of Mind - A Mental Health Club

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
@smoky Athena is right. Keeping yourself focused on other things is a great way to keep those thoughts at bay. I also recommend being open with the therapist you’re seeing. Therapy is most helpful when you’re able to get everything out and discuss what you can do. I wish for nothing but the best.

I’ve been able to not let those bullies phase me. They’ve been laughing at me and claiming I’m the “biggest s***head” in the school, but I’m not taking it personally anymore. People like them would say that to anyone if it meant they could feel better about themselves. I hope their future victims can work through it too. No one deserves to go through exclusion and shame like that.

Dregran

Shocking Star
Staff Emeritus
Cabin 2
Time Zone
UTC +10
@Vivid Stardust My heart goes out to you. Like others have said, it's your call about the medication, though trying might not be a bad idea. My advice for general anxiety is to find a strategy/activity/thing that calms you down. Just something to do that can clear your thoughts. For me, it's walking. That always calms me down. Some kind of physical or mental exercise is really good to counteract anxiety. When having an anxiety attack, though, I'd recommend staying indoors and doing a mental exercise.

@Mirage I'm so happy to read that you've improved over the years!! I'm so proud of you !!!

@smoky I wish there was an easy fix, or a "do this and all your troubles are gone" thing, but there's not. Life really does suck sometimes. Your strong, you will get through this. Mirage mentioned faking it until you make it: this is a really good coping strategy for short periods of time. I hope your therapy session goes well, please hold out until then. I am always available for a chat over Discord, always.

My own mental health has been quite bad lately. I haven't been exercising. I am trying a new diet, though: a keto diet. Apparently it makes you sick and gives you "the blues" - which means amplified depression. :upsidedown: Today will be a better day, though. My self-care just kinda disappears when I get down, which only makes things worse. Today I will look after myself.

Sheep

Junior Trainer
Staff Emeritus
at work the other day, i saw someone wrote on a white board, "life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." very simple idea but oh so very true
Been digging through posts and I found this, it's so so true. I find myself stressed by things that may not even happen, my mind just starts thinking, "x may happen in the future, what would I do?" which takes over my mind and can really make a day tough. came here to say that quote is v powerful

AKA
Carson, Mudkip
Time Zone
IGN
bbop
@Dregran Woah power to you on the diet. Ketosis can be rough i've heard, but I believe in you!!!

My day was okay. I've been kinda depressed idrk why it just comes and goes, I got three hours of sleep and then had to get up, but I was able to squeeze in another 3 hours later so it's all good. I went and ran before work which was fun but rough. I think I pushed myself too hard because I almost puked when I stopped. I listened to music this time (I normally don't) and so I wasn't paying attention to my body, and I just cranked the music up when I started to hurt so yah I think I went overboard but I still worked hard so i'm proud of myself. I went to work, but got sent home because managers are watching labor or whatever so instead of my six hours I got two. I get to see my gf tomorrow!! I'm really excited because its the one consistent day I can see her (besides occasional late night stuff), and we're doing a lot better relationship-wise. Rather, I'm doing a lot better in the sense that I'm more confident in our relationship and stuff so yah

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Still handling the bullying well. Just want to share this story to get it out there.
As I stepped into My American History class, I started to feel nauseated. Waiting for the teacher to come in to let him know, I covered my hand over my mouth. One of the girls who has been bullying me for two years turned around, faced me, and said “go ahead and cry. We don’t care.” A few minutes later I told the teacher about my nausea and walked out.

AKA
Carson, Mudkip
Time Zone
IGN
bbop
Still handling the bullying well. Just want to share this story to get it out there.
As I stepped into My American History class, I started to feel nauseated. Waiting for the teacher to come in to let him know, I covered my hand over my mouth. One of the girls who has been bullying me for two years turned around, faced me, and said “go ahead and cry. We don’t care.” A few minutes later I told the teacher about my nausea and walked out.
Woah Neb. I'm really sorry to hear you're being bullied, i've been there before too. Pm me if you'd like to talk :)

Growing up has been rough, especially since I didn't grow up like other kids. I have a hormone deficiency which makes me look stupidly younger than I am. Entering high school I wasn't even 5 feet tall yet (dad and brother are 6'3) and my voice was that of a girls. Locker rooms were the worst for obvious reasons. Middle school and high school both were a nightmare, basically since everybody around me was noticing all these changes and I still looked like an elementary schooler, I got picked on a lot. My sophomore year of high school, after my first round of hormone therapy failed I started thinking and talking about killing myself. I hurt myself to deal with the emotional pain. I cried myself to sleep every night, I just wished that i could be normal. I stopped doing sports after middle school. At that point I was so stupidly far behind my classmates it wasn't worth trying. I stopped wrestling in 8th grade because nobody in the school district was light enough for me to wrestle. Anyways, this led to me being socially isolated in high school. And this isolation led to bullying. Name calling, physical harm, isolation, everything.

Mirage

Pokemon Master
AKA
Drake, Mirage, Izzy
Time Zone
(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
@Neb:
Man, that sucks :/ You're in high school right? Dang. As far as what I've experienced, middle schoolers are far worse than high schoolers. But, that's probably because my middle school class viewed high school as "mature" time when we all got there, our attitudes as a whole class got so much better. Seems like that girl is still a child and hasn't grown up yet. Good job on not retaliating. You already showed you're so much more mature than her! I also hope you're feeling better!

@Carson:
Hey, I'm glad to see you feeling about better and confident about your relationship! As for your bullying, dang. I don't know anybody personally who has what you have, but I have read stories. It can definitely be tough. I think it's completely unnecessary how tough it is, but middle school kids and even high school kids are the worst. But hey, I'm glad to see you're still here with us! Seriously, I know what it's like to feel those emotions. I had suicidal thoughts and was seriously reevaluating the value of life when I got blindsided by my illness a month ago. But, I'm glad I got myself out of that funk, and I'm glad you're doing much better as well! I don't remember if you're still in high school or not, but it doesn't seem like it. I'm glad you no longer have to deal with that anymore! Thanks for sharing with us your experience :)

Nothing too major to report on my end. Just trying to get myself back to feeling normal again, which is in vain, but, oh well, I can at least get close. I'm still hanging in there. Well, trying to anyway. At least I know I have people that care about me to keep me going on those nights I completely break down.

Amethyst

Beginner Trainer
Hello, all! I am happy to be here, and happy to lend an ear and be support for everyone here.

Username: Amethyst
Nickname: Sasha
Adversity: My brain weasels come in Depression, Anxiety, and Low Self Esteem flavors. I am also a couple of letters in LGBTQIAA+, but that is something to celebrate, not an adversity, even if other people (not anyone here, just for clarity) disagree.
Image to represent you: I am such a nerd, and I love it!
Other: Strength of Heart
Lots of electronic hugs to everyone that wants them!

Sasha

Last edited:

Dregran

Shocking Star
Staff Emeritus
Cabin 2
Time Zone
UTC +10
I have been sneaky and had some sugary stuff. :eyes:

Self-care is on point and I'm ok, all things considered. Very stressful week for me.

AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Mmmmmmm... I love bread... So many delicious types of it...

(btw I know I haven't been posting here much at all but I'll chip in on others' pieces later)

Amethyst

Beginner Trainer
Thanks for adding me in!

Bread is amazing. I have been wanting to bake more, but guilt over not baking or cooking basically at all makes it harder for me to bake or cook. Which makes me feel even guiltier. So, yeah. That said, when I AM baking, I can bake some pretty darn good bread!

So, today is the first time in 12 years that I will be single on Valentine's Day. All 11 of those past Valentine's Days were with the same person. I broke up with them a month and a half ago, after being together since May 2007 (I just turned 34, for context.) They were only my second relationship, really, and at one point we thought that we were going to get married. Turns out, they were a gaslighting, manipulative jerkmuffin, even if I still try to convince myself that they weren't being so intentionally and I still want to be friends with them. Today... is just a lot of unneeded reminders, and if I leave my house today, it'll be too soon.

shhmew

it me
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
So, today is the first time in 12 years that I will be single on Valentine's Day. All 11 of those past Valentine's Days were with the same person. I broke up with them a month and a half ago, after being together since May 2007 (I just turned 34, for context.) They were only my second relationship, really, and at one point we thought that we were going to get married. Turns out, they were a gaslighting, manipulative jerkmuffin, even if I still try to convince myself that they weren't being so intentionally and I still want to be friends with them. Today... is just a lot of unneeded reminders, and if I leave my house today, it'll be too soon.
): im so sorry to hear that... but am very proud that you broke it off. Many people just stay in damaging relationships after that long because they're afraid of breaking out of what they know, it takes courage and a lot of self love to do that!! it might hurt but i hope you always remember it's an opportunity for growth and finding someone that truly makes you happy. For the record my mom finally had the strength to break it off with my dad (who isn't a bad person by any means but was HORRIBLY unhealthy for her) and found someone who truly made her happy when she was almost 50. Now I've never seen her so happy!! So I believe it's never too late to leave an unhealthy or unsuitable relationship and find a better one.

today can be about all kinds of love anyway. my dad texted me and my sisters happy valentines day which made me happy cuz i know his love for me and my sisters is the most pure and unconditional love he's ever felt. All kinds of love can be equally special<3

AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
I'm so sorry Amethyst. But like Katey said, it's better to break off a bad relationship than cling to it. Breaking it off gives you the chance to meet someone new, who will really appreciate you and love you. Maybe this Valentines is for loving yourself<3

So far it's been a tough day. I haven't had anyone message me besides the family wide text to everyone, or even had my dad wish me a happy valentines(Edit: He did later and I really appreciated it). My gf messaged me to say her sister is probably moving into the house due to a breakup with her fiancee, meaning we won't even get to acknowledge we're dating in our own home. It's very difficult for me to keep quiet. It's been six months, I wish we weren't still hiding from her parents. It feels selfish of me to push, but honestly it feels sometimes like she's so focused on her side that she forgets I have my own life too and I can't keep going on "maybe". Maybe I'll get to move in, maybe they'll out of the blue decide I'm not ok there. (Not the first time.) Maybe we'll finally be open in summer (a year into dating), maybe not. Maybe she'll actually go shopping with me and let me browse without freaking out that someone glanced at her, maybe not. Maybe lots of things. But I'm going on a rant now.
Overall my day's been lonely, frustrating, and not at all the celebration of love I hoped.

Edit: It's gotten better now, still not quite what I'd hoped but not terrible:)

Last edited:

Mirage

Pokemon Master
AKA
Drake, Mirage, Izzy
Time Zone
(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
@Amethyst: Wow, 11 years, dang. I can't imagine being in the situation you're going through. Even though you did the right thing, it wouldn't surprise me to know that there are rough days for you, like this one. To add a little bit more to what others have said: don't let those bad days change your mind. I hope you do find someone that's genuine and will make you happy! And for those times when you feel lonely, well, there's always the Marriland community :)

@Athena: I've been there before very recently, the whole "maybe this or maybe that". It's very frustrating for sure. I hope those "maybe's" become "for sure's" for you. Going on about "maybe" can be a cruel mistress sometimes. In my personal experience, waiting always worked best instead of pushing it, even if it meant waiting more than I'd like. It sucks, at least in the moment, but eventually it'll come around. I know it might sound silly, but have hope that it'll come around for you. Of course, there might be days where you'll get frustrated, but you know what, that's what friends are for, right? Keep trying to stay strong :)

My Valentine's Day started out really scary, but nothing bad happened so I'm beyond relieved. I tried not to think about it, but it's always been in my mind. I do feel horrible about it because of the scare. Oh well. I'll feel better when I go to sleep and eventually forget about it. Ok, so enough of the bad stuff, something very good happened to me today as well! So, I got a Luvdisc Gram! I actually forgot about those since I was so focused on Marri Prom heh. But yeah, that was a pleasant surprise. It definitely made my day! So, to whoever made me that Luvdisc Gram, thank you. It touched me deeply; more than you think.