Pendraflare's Let's Go, Pikachu! Adventure

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So, here we are! This is the Pokémon franchise's main series debut on the Nintendo Switch, in Let's Go, Pikachu and Let's Go, Eevee. I picked up Let's Go, Pikachu at Best Buy yesterday at a discount, and I think it'll be interesting to share my experience with it with you all! It's no secret that these games have been VERY divisive within the Pokémon fanbase as a whole, with some enjoying it but much more negative reception than most main series games before it. And it's not hard to see why, but time will tell if I find this game to be a delightful adventure or if I end up in the same camp as the haters. It's especially nice because the Switch has auto-screenshot features, which I hope to make use of here since you guys know I like using screenshots! By the end of this game I hope I'll be able to give a fair view of it.

And, well, for now that's it! I hope you all enjoy. :happyazurill:

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
So I started the game, chose the guy and named him Scott, because, well, that's my name. And I named the rival Trace, which is his default name because I couldn't think of anything more exciting.

After the opening cutscenes, I was in my room, where they have a Nintendo Switch for me which is nice. Trace had sent me an e-mail, which I read on the computer… And then he came up to make sure I had already seen it! Which I had. Then it was time for me to head downstairs.

On the TV was a movie with four boys playing on railroad tracks. Isn't that terribly unsafe? Also, quick disclaimer, I've downsized the Switch pics to 1/3 their normal size because otherwise they're huge and take up a lot of space. Anyway, Mom informed me that Professor Oak was looking for me, so I headed outside and from there to his lab. There were two Poké Balls, but not one in the middle. Wonder what THAT's all about? :hmmazurill:

From there, I headed north to Route 1, where Oak was dealing with some Pidgey. He had been awaiting my arrival! After a bit of talk, a Pikachu came out! He left me to catch it. Also, right now I'm using the Switch console with both controllers still attached as it feels like the better way for me to start off. Not tough. But then the Pikachu, still in its Poké Ball, was not letting up and bounced around! It bounced all the way back to the lab, where it took its place in between the two already there.

Trace knew what had gone on! He decided that after what he saw, the Pikachu was mine. And I like the scene where it comes out of the ball by itself!

I decided to name it Carson. If you know anything about me then you know what that name is a reference to. Before leaving, he gave Trace and I the Pokédex, which is what he wants us to use for tracking data on all the Pokémon of the world. But dude, at your old age, you haven't seen enough Pokémon yourself? Kinda sad that you're sending off two kids to do it, but eh, an adventure is an adventure.

Going through Route 1, that was where I started to get a gist of the whole catching Pokémon for experience concept. I found a bunch of Pokémon including Pidgey and Rattata. And an Oddish. Arriving in Viridian City, I went straight over to the Mart, where the clerk was at the entrance and gave me the Parcel. I will say, it is nice that they let you go immediately back to the lab. Saves us a minute or so. That was where Oak received it, and then he gave us some Razz Berries.

Trace was about to eat the berries, but Oak stopped him and mentioned that they're for Pokémon, not humans! So he had his objectives for us, but Trace had something in mind, too. A Pokémon battle!

As he used Eevee, I started off with Carson. Thunder Shock did around 1/3 while his Tackle did 1/5. I used another Thunder Shock as he used a meaningless Growl. Two more turns and he was finished. He went on about how he may have gotten talkative, and with that I was free to go about my business forward. But first, Trace(?)'s sister was nice enough to give me some Sportswear. She knows what's up! After playing with Carson for a bit with this feature, including petting it and giving it a few berries, I went back upward. The clerk from before was nice enough to give me a Potion, but I had my second trainer battle up ahead! Carson OHKO'd him though, and he gave me three Poké Balls for my trouble.

Back in Viridian City, Trace talked about the PMC for a bit, which I then entered. A magazine in there talked about Secret Techniques, which I already know what they do, haha. I then had a look at Route 22, and Trace was there.

He really wasn't anything worth discussing. Oddish 4HKO'd his Eevee now that Absorb is buffed up to 40 BP. There wasn't a lot else to see on the route, but I did catch both Nidoran while there. There was a little bit more to do in Viridian, including a girl who showed me how my Pokémon can walk with me other than just Carson. Nice stuff indeed!

Then there was Route 2. I caught the two Bug-types there, and entered Viridian Forest! Right off the bat I found a huge Metapod. Which ate three balls before I caught it. And I added it to my party.

A Lass asked me if I had a big Pikachu, which I did. After beating her, I then found a tiny Butterfree. That took three Poké Balls too, but it was lower level than the Metapod I already had! And there was a huge Metapod. We had more trainers to go through, but why must they all have one Pokémon? Come on, more to offer…

With that, I arrived in Pewter City. I talked to a bunch of people there, and checked out the museum.

There were some fossils, and a replica of an Aerodactyl but it looked completely real. And a girl whose daddy promised her a Pikachu, but knew he couldn't take mine. Despite that, he knew it was happy with me and didn't want to get in between us.

In the meantime, I watched over a Slowpoke for a lady who wanted to go to the museum but couldn't leave it unattended. It didn't seem to know much! xD

I then entered the Gym! It was cool that it actually had stands to give it the feel of a stadium. The Gym guide was there, and so were two trainers, including the dude who tells me I'm 10,000 light-years from facing Brock.

I had to include this dialogue. xD I had the Oddish that I showed the guide, who beat them both easily. As for Brock, said Oddish made very simple work of him. OHKOs on both.

On the way out, I met with Blue, who congratulated me on the Gym badge, and gave me some Great Balls. He then told me to not underestimate his gramps even though he's an old coot. Dude, you do know the man is big time forgetful, right?

So I think that's gonna be it for right now. I don't really know what my team is gonna look like at the moment, so I won't list my full team for the time being. (I can always update it with the screenshots I have. I might do that in the morning when I'm not tired, and add screenshots once I have an SD card to transfer pics with.)
Pokédex: 10 Pokémon
Time: 1:20

Boulder Badge: Obtained 11/17/2018
So far, there are things I'm liking about this game. The graphical presentation is cool, and the environments are cute and I like how they've refined a lot of the region. Really shows what they're capable of with the Switch! I think the catching to gain EXP is gonna take some getting used to but the mechanic is alright.
Anyway, next time we'll head east to Cerulean City. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Pendraflare

Eat up, bud.
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Well, it's time for more! Enjoy.
So after beating Brock, there was Route 3, which had some trainers to go through. The first was a Coach Trainer, who used a Bulbasaur. Nidoran beat it pretty easily, however.

Uh, no, I looked in front of you. Nidoran took care of her Oddish. After playing with Carson some and beating more trainers, we made our way over through Route 4 and to the PMC to heal up poison that was afflicted.

NO? I literally walked past you! Sheesh, calm down. Pidgey took care of her. I found more Pokémon to encounter, including some Mankey, which I caught.
And a wild Charmander?! It didn't prove tough to catch. And I got another Butterfree from evolution. There was another Coach Trainer who had a challenge for me with his Meowth. Nidoran bested it, and I got the TM for Pay Day. Hey, that helps out! And apparently you can ride on Onix, which is awesome.
I also met with the singing Jigglypuff in the PMC. Zzzzzzz… I also bought a Magikarp for an outrageous 500P. I went back to buy more Poké Balls.

But then there was Mt. Moon!

Up ahead were Jessie and James, and they weren't pleased to see me eavesdropping on them after Meowth was supposed to be keeping watch and getting me out of there. I did spot Meowth on the roof, as it woke up and caught up to the duo! Also, Mankey can find things in bushes, which is cool. What's also cool is some of the Pokémon you can find here!

A fully evolved Clefable?!?! One that I caught in one Great Ball? Unfortunately, I wasn't big on its nature, and it's stuck with some unexciting moves, so I left it behind. James wasn't pleased by my following them, either! And I found another Clefairy that had a Modest nature, which is better so I took it.

Going through more trainers, I'll say it is nice to have the jolly and fat Hikers back. I'm sure I've gone on record as not exactly being a fan of the slimmer Hikers from Alola. Except for Hiker David. That guy is lit.

Whoa, hold up, a CHANSEY?!?! I know that Solar mentioned finding one for herself here but still that is crazy. I caught it pretty easily, too. And I did indeed find the Onix I heard about!

This grunt with his Drowzee though was a real jerk. Clefairy couldn't hit ONE usage of Sing out of at least five and his Hypnosis was galling. He even used Hypnosis when I switched out after I was almost finished. Pidgey had to finish him. After an easier Grunt, we then came to the Super Nerd guarding the fossils!

I have to say, that design is a bit menacing. He wasn't overly tough, however. I took the Helix Fossil from him. PRAISE HELIX!!!
Jessie and James, however, didn't want any of what they had seen, and demanded the fossil back! I got ahead of you two because you stayed behind! Carson took care of them alongside Mankey, though. We made it outside to Route 4 once again, and to Route 4, where after finding a bit of items we beat another wild Pokémon.

I'll also say, I really like the evolution screens in this game. Very cool backgrounds! But from there, we arrived in Cerulean City.

And there was an NPC in the PMC who was able to teach Carson an exclusive move for this game in Zippy Zap, a priority move that always results in a critical hit.

In the meantime, I traded my regular Rattata for an Alolan Rattata. How about that? Then it was time for exploring!

After doing some of that, Trace blasted over to me in a massive hurry, but challenged me to battle.

The only team member of his that did much was Pidgey because he used Sand-Attack and had a Potion, and Oddish poisoning Mankey, but we won. He then talked about a talking Pokémon in Bill's house!!!

I then scaled the Nugget Bridge, who had mostly easy trainers that weren't a lot to talk about. And the Rocket Grunt who wanted me to join Team Rocket, but a nice beating made him buzz off. Then I decided to have a look inside the Cerulean Gym, which also has the stadium-like seating! And girls jumping off of dive boards. One of them was actually named Daisy, and one was named Lily, which aren't those the names of two of Misty's sisters in the anime?

But then it was time for Misty herself and her all-out offensive approach with her sweet Water-type Pokémon.

Oddish took care of her Psyduck easily enough, but then I brought out Carson for her Starmie. Zippy Zap, priority move, always scores a critical hit, does over half…

BUT Scald gets the burn and forces me to switch. Clefairy takes big (literally RIGHT on the cusp of half) and Pidgeotto is 2HKO'd. Oddish had to jump in and finish her off for the win! So she gave me the Cascade Badge and TM29 for Scald.

So remember this guy? The "I saw your feat from the grass!" guy? I used to think that phrase was a pun on words, but turns out he does indeed watch you from afar. Hey, nice to have a supporter!

As far as tough trainers on Routes 24 and 25 go, there was a Bird Keeper with a strong Pidgeotto. Aside from that, there were a few surprises but none I remember all too well. I also got a Charmander from an NPC on the route and a Bulbasaur from another NPC in Cerulean.

And it was cool watching Bill transform from a Nidorino back into his human self, lol. From there he gave me tickets to get onto the S.S. Anne. Cool!

I then battled the Coach Trainer outside the house, as her Machop only used Seismic Toss and was soon beaten. She gave me said TM herself.

From there I headed south, but Officer Jenny had to deal with a Squirtle that was stealing a Poké Ball! That left the house unguarded. :hmmazurill:

This was also the point where I decided to give my Pokémon that I saw as potential long-term team members nicknames. See them in the spoiler below! We'll carry on next part, and then I'll start talking more about my team.
:pikachu: (M) "Carson", Level 20
Stats: 55, 39, 38, 45, 40, 66
Moves: Double Kick, Light Screen, Thunder Shock, Zippy Zap

:pidgeotto: (F) "Featherduct", Level 19
Stats: 59, 44, 29, 30, 35, 37
Moves: Quick Attack, Roost, Sand-Attack, Wing Attack

:nidorino: (M) "Reich", Level 19
Stats: 56, 39, 38, 28, 30, 38
Moves: Double Kick, Horn Attack, Peck, Poison Sting

:mankey: (M) "Fawful", Level 16
Stats: 40, 34, 27, 16, 21, 32
Moves: Focus Energy, Karate Chop, Leer, Pay Day

:clefairy: (F) "Chip", Level 17
Stats: 55, 19, 26, 29, 38, 23
Moves: Defense Curl, Minimize, Seismic Toss, Sing

:psyduck: (F) "Antoinetta", Level 13
Stats: 40, 18, 19, 21, 21, 21
Moves: Scald, Scratch, Tail Whip, Water Gun

Also commonly used:
:oddish: (M) "Oddball", Level 19
Stats: 50, 31, 27, 39, 46, 16
Moves: Absorb, Acid, Growth, Sleep Powder
Pokédex: 27 Pokémon
Time: 4:11
Money: 38677P

Boulder Badge: Obtained 11/17/2018
Cascade Badge: Obtained 11/19/2018
Going through what I have at the moment, it is neat seeing all the touches that they've had, and the 3D takes on the things from the original games (stadium-like Gyms, Bill's transformation, Jessie and James along with Meowth, etcetera). However, I will say that I'm not fond on how little EXP the Pokémon give. But when I'm adding newly caught Pokémon to the team just like that, it's fair, considering how much I've been carried through the first parts with how they give EXP to your entire party. We'll see how things carry through.
So next time we'll head forward and into Vermilion City. Thanks for reading!

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Wow. Good work so far. I kinda wish I shared my experience with this game. Oh well. I had all three Starters as well as Pikachu.