Randomizer Pentatope's Ultra Moon Randomizer Challenge [+ RuleSet]

Pentatope

The Paradoxical Plant Person
Time Zone
PDT
Pentatope’s Pokemon Ultra Moon Randomizer Challenge [+Rule Set]

Hello my dear pals! It is I, Pentatope! Emerging from the deep, fiery pits of hell to greet each of you personally. It has been awhile since I was last on the forums, but I’m glad to announce that I’ll be returning and hopefully to stay. However, as I am joining the Marriland Forums, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and try something new, experimental and bold.

From what I’ve seen, this type of challenge doesn't have a name, so I’ll just be referring to it as ‘The Randomizer Challenge [+Rule Set]’. It doesn’t appear that anyone randomizes Pokemon Ultra Moon/Sun, so I went out on a limb and did it myself.

This will be rather difficult for me, because it has been a long time since I’ve attempted a Pokemon challenge. So, I hope you can enjoy.

What I Randomized
For Pokemon Ultra Moon, I randomized the wild Pokemon, the static Pokemon, TMs, Evolutions, and the Shiny Rate. The shiny rate is now approximately 33%, which I changed for my rule-set.

Rules
1. The highest quantity of can have of any item is 5. Ex. I can only have 5 poke-balls, 5 potions, etc. No more than five of each item.

2. I am only allowed to catch the first Shiny Pokemon I encounter on each new route,town,etc. I changed the Shiny Rate in my game, so it should now be about 33% chance of any wild Pokemon to be shiny. I may not catch or use non-shiny Pokemon. (This is for fun, because I really enjoy shinies)

3. I am only allowed to heal up at a Poke-center, once. I can chose when I use it, but I may only heal up at each Poke-center once. If I black/white out, it doesn’t count as my use (but I have a rule for this exception).

4. If I white/black out, I must roll a six-sided dice. Each side corresponds to the matching Pokemon Party Slot. If there is a Pokemon in that Party Slot, it must be released. If there isn’t a Pokemon in that Party Slot, re-roll. This must be done immediately after a black/white out, and you can’t change up your party’s composition. Ex. If I have a Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle and I roll a 1, I must release Charmander.

5. I’ll be playing on Set Mode, just to spice up the challenge a slight bit more.

Clauses:

Dupes Clause: If my first shiny encounter is the same species as a shiny I’ve already caught, I can skip the shiny and try to find a second shiny to catch. I can only do this once per route. (Probably won’t have to worry because this is a randomizer)

Disclaimer: I am using a ROM/Emulator to play this game. As following the Marriland Rules, I will not be disclosing any information about the ROM/Emulator that I'm using. I encourage that if you do play a ROM of a game, that you at least own the game that you are playing so you can still support the developers.

Last edited:

Pentatope

Time Zone
PDT
~saving for later use~

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
This is going to be brutal. USUM is already one of the harder games and that ruleset will only add to the difficulty.

Best of luck to you!
I hate to say this, but gotta agree with this one. That, and randomizer will make things really (like, really) crazy if not handled carefully. As a fellow USUM challenger, I wish you a good luck. :happyazurill:

Pentatope

Time Zone
PDT
Replies:
@nkween ; I am hoping for the challenge honestly. The only problem is, that I suck a nuzlockes. So, I made this challenge with the ideas of doing a nuzlocke in mind, but I made it more forgiving. Anyways, thank you. o/

@Kaori ; oh man really? I played through moon, and recently bought Ultra Moon. I haven’t actually finished my Ultra Moon playthrough, so I have no clue how difficult it was. But thanks for the encouragement~

@sanianisa ; oohh nooo, now I’m worrying. Let’s hope that I can complete this game!

[1] - No worries, except for shinies

Let’s get this bread! Come on kukui, let’s get it!!!! Hurry up kukui, the viewers are waiting!

Oh lookie! Das me, das me right there! Ooh, might I say, I look stunning.

Yep! That’s my name. Try not to wear it out.

yes sir. That there is me. Me and my gorgeous hat, thats me. Thats my name, yep. Yep, yep yep. All me right there

Honestly, me too. Why pokemon if you can sleep? Amirite? Wrong, get your lazy butt up, its pokemon TIIME!!!

Look at me, I’m out to steal your man AND your Pokemon! (side-note, this character model might be the only character model in the game that wears good looking clothes.)

Aight, let’s get it. (I didn’t configure any of the quality settings of the game, so it doesn’t look that polished. But I’ll probably come back and take a picture with better quality and use it as my ‘thumbnail’ for the challenge)

AH! Oml, look out! It's donald trump! (jkjkjk)

Oh yes please! I want to see what I got

I mean, those don’t look like my starter choices but ok. (Sidenote: forgot to save, so my starter didn’t end up shiny so I can’t use it ;( feels bad man)

Not a shiny, but I guess I’ll name you Canada. (I’ll be nicknaming my Pokemon after countries and landmarks for my playthrough)

I wasn’t gonna start my challenge until I got poke balls… but Canada has my back (whhhyyyy!!! Why must you have a Quick Ball Canada! Now I only get one chance to catch my first shiny!)

Oh my lord! TIME TO LEAVE!

(Another Side note: it was at this point in the game when I realized that I didn’t configure the shinies right, so I had to redo the files of the game to fix the shiny rate. I probably would’ve updated this part yesterday but I spent upwards of an hour fixing the randomizer files. It didn’t have to restart my game, but it was still an inconvenience. Anyways, everything is fixed now and we can continue.)

My first shiny encounter is a Clefable. Not a bad start in my opinion. Luckily, I managed to catch Clefable and I named it England.

This was as far as I have gotten so far, because I spent a lot of time configuring the files to fix the shiny rate problem. Anyways, next part should be longer and I’ll try to get more screenshots. I hope you enjoyed~
Team:

PC:
No shinies in here yet.
Graveyard
No black/white outs yet
My Thoughts:
I would’ve gotten way farther into the game, and this first post would’ve been more eventful. However, I worked on the randomizer files for upwards of an hour. Everything is now working, so it is smooth sailing from here. It was a minor inconvenience that my regular porygon was holding a Quick Ball, which meant that the challenge officially started… which is not good for me. I was hoping to wait a little longer. The next part should see me fighting Hau, and catching a few more shinies hopefully.

QOTD: What is your favorite shiny pokemon? And why?

EDIT: I have no clue why my game play is split up into two spoilers. If someone knows how to fix it, I'd love to know. However, try to ignore because it is unintentional.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
The non-randomized games have some really tough Totem Pokemon to face with competitive level movesets and items. Although since you randomized everything, it might be a breeze for you instead.

Clefable is a really good Pokemon to get because it is bulky and a Fairy type.

...Until I realized that it does not learn any more moves by level up. At least you randomized TMs so hopefully you will get the one for Dazzling Gleam sooner than later. In the vanilla version of the game, it is extremely late game on Poni Island so having to wait for that would be a pain. > <

Pentatope

Time Zone
PDT
Replies:
@Kaori ; Yeah, I realized that. I was super excited to get Clefable, but it learns nothing… which is super disappointing.

[2] - This is me, one week on randomizer

Aww man we back

Crabs………….

These screenshots are so inconsistent.

Me and Nebby have the exact same reaction, wth

Ok. I’m gonna rant real quick. Who is their gosh darn mind thinks that his is a Sparkling Stone? Honestly, who? The Z-Ring looks nothing like a sparkling stone. It looks like a watch, not a stone! Plus, every important person in this game seems to have one of these things. So, why does Lillie think that this is ‘Sparkling Stone’.

Yes. Lillie is idiot, canon confirmed.

I finally get to learn how to catch pokemon, despite already having caught one.

I’ll have to throw 5 of these away, but since this game doesn’t have a toss item feature, I’ll have to wait until I can sell them at a Pokemart.

I’m considering using this picture for a banner. What you y’all think?

Sweet, first shiny encounter is a Level 3 Emboar.

I honestly believed that catching an emboar would be more difficult. Apparently not.

I’m ending the game play here. Mostly because taking screenshots of the game hinders the game play. I’ll probably be taking less screenshots in the future, just for reference.

Team:

PC:
No extra shinies yet
Graveyard:
No black/white outs yet
My Thoughts:
I personally love Spain’s colors, the blue flames match so perfectly with the design. I’m honestly amazed by it. I’ll probably be releasing the next part on the weekend, but sorry for taking so long. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed.

QOTD: Did you enjoy Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon? Why?

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
As for myself, kinda. Back when USUM was first released, I thought it gonna be fun upon watching people's playthroughs, vanilla and challenge alike (I love spoiling myself, y'see). And here I am, playing Ultra Sun up to the first trial and having a blast.

About that banner, I'd say it's a nice one. I mean, the sea + sunset = awesome sight, right? :winkazurill: