Perceived Skill

Reunilu

Reddest of Mages
AKA
Shaymin, Nagi
How would you perceive the amount of growth you've had since you started doing art?

I think I've really improved my sketching over the past few years compared to others, but find my growth in coloring my art really lacking. It's probably because I've done way more sketching than finishing digital work. lol

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I think my skills at Art are laughable. Both on paper and with pixel art, I’ve barely improved over the years. It’s probably because I rarely practice.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I honestly feel like I never improve cause I don't practice enough! :faintedazurill: But I believe my eye has gotten better at observing and understanding, and thus, noticing my mistakes and finding ways to improve them. The things I'd love to improve the most are my linework, anatomy, expressions, cause I love creating characters. I think what I do wrong with practice is that I always try to make finished pieces, instead of working on studies, warm ups, doodles and sketching fast. Quality over quantity, but sometimes with art, repetition and rough sketching are useful. :sadazurill:

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
I've definitely improved from when I've started, I've practiced a ton that it's impossible to not have improved. But my mental skill has progressed so much faster than my physical skill, I can see so many flaws and vision how I want my art to be perfectly, but my hands just can't create what I see. Since I sketch a ton, my sketches look alright but finished work always looks really average in everyway, from lineart to colouring.

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I've definitely improved from when I've started, I've practiced a ton that it's impossible to not have improved. But my mental skill has progressed so much faster than my physical skill, I can see so many flaws and vision how I want my art to be perfectly, but my hands just can't create what I see. Since I sketch a ton, my sketches look alright but finished work always looks really average in everyway, from lineart to colouring.
I can understand what you said about mental skill, I have the same issue!

Ape711

not infected by dragon virus
AKA
Andrew, Ape, Aep
Time Zone
Central Standard Time
Switch FC
SW-4903-4757-9682
IGN
Andrew
ugh, same. I'll have this like grandiose vision of what I want in my head and then my hand is like "lol, no". But I've still improved a lot over my many, many years of doing art (basically my whole lifetime-I mean im not that old but still) and I can now look back at my old art and laugh, or sometimes I'll redraw it because I liked the base concept and the difference is amazing. Maybe I'll post some before and afters on here sometimes. (Not like in this thread)

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
it's hard for me to feel like i've improved, it feels more accurate to say i've found more and more ways to polish my consistently mediocre work, lol. as i've mentioned in another thread, i have a hard time with letting go and drawing from the heart, everything i make looks stiff, not unique, and like it was traced or something. i struggle to find my own style. I can relate to the above posters about having that idea in your head but not being able to execute it, sometimes i'm like "oK IM GONNA MAKE THIS LOOK SUPER ADORABLE" but then when i draw it it just looks like a boring stock image. but i sure do keep learning techniques to make it look "better". =p

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
My improvement in GFX is extremely apparent, especially with smudges. It became a lot easier to get better when I moved away from tutorials and experimented with different effects more or less on my own. When you follow a tutorial, you also adopt the mistakes of the person who wrote the tutorial, which can be many depending on how much they actually know what they’re talking about. In the beginning, I made the mistake of following tutorials too religiously, applying them where they weren’t good for a specific piece.

That being said, I still have a long way to go before I get to the level of my biggest inspirations. Consistency is key, and I’ve done absolutely nothing outside of class for the past three to four months.

On the bullet journal side, I am still in the phase where I need to wean myself off of references. Perhaps next year I can make my own spreads instead of copying layouts but changing colors/themes.