Pet Peeves

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
People who say "I'll pray for you". Like seriously, the best reaction you'll get out of me is for me to ignore you completely. Failing that I'll say something along the lines of "please don't" or "save your breath" depending on how polite I want to be at the time. Generally speaking I'd very much prefer that you keep it to yourself, because telling me that you'll pray for me just creates an awkward situation. The problems with the phrase are three-fold. It's casual religious intolerance because the speaker always assumes I'm a Christian (I'm not and will outright state I'm an atheist if they ever thought to ask), it's always unwanted (I don't want to hear it and I'm obviously not asking for you to say it), and it creates awkward situations because I don't know how I'm expected to (or supposed to) respond to it. I wish there were a polite way to inform the people who say this phrase to me that their prayers have got as much value as monopoly money as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
People who say "I'll pray for you". Like seriously, the best reaction you'll get out of me is for me to ignore you completely. Failing that I'll say something along the lines of "please don't" or "save your breath" depending on how polite I want to be at the time. Generally speaking I'd very much prefer that you keep it to yourself, because telling me that you'll pray for me just creates an awkward situation. The problems with the phrase are three-fold. It's casual religious intolerance because the speaker always assumes I'm a Christian (I'm not and will outright state I'm an atheist if they ever thought to ask), it's always unwanted (I don't want to hear it and I'm obviously not asking for you to say it), and it creates awkward situations because I don't know how I'm expected to (or supposed to) respond to it. I wish there were a polite way to inform the people who say this phrase to me that their prayers have got as much value as monopoly money as far as I'm concerned.
the "thoughts & prayers" sentiment... i can see where you're coming from... a pet peeve of mine is just when people are so fake especially when trying to be sympathetic... like i get it, sometimes i don't know how to react to sad **** either, but i think it's important to at least try to say something genuine...