Monotype [PLACEHOLDER TITLE] Shiva's White 2 Bug Monotype - Chapter 10 up! Tales of Elite 4 and champions! COMPLETED RUN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
I ended up playing quite a bit yesterday! Here's the update. It's a lot of story progression, kinda long, but it was a fun one. Hopefully gonna update Saturday or Sunday next.

CHAPTER 8 - </TEAMPLASMA>

Remember how TTP told me to check Route 22?

Well I went on Route 21 for a bit instead. I grabbed the Oshawott I kept as a Surf buddy, taught it Surf, and left. About halfway through, I decided I had enough, and tried to go back. It was a mistake. A trainer I hadn't fought planted herself right in my way back and blocked the path, and another one also blocked my path to the alternate route. I wound up inside the Seaside Cave, fought the doctor right beside it, healed, and went back.

THEN I went on Route 22.

To further the storyline, I ran into both Terrakion and Colress. The latter gave me his Colress MCHN to do... something with it in the Seaside Cave I just left. I'll put that until later unless I need to. Which might not be that long, honestly, as people are blocking the Giant Chasm path and are talking about Route 21.

I ran into an Ace Trainer with an Arcanine that gave me quite a painful time. Between Fire Fang, Extreme Speed and its Intimidate ability, it knocked Lemmy (Thrash barely dented it) and Atlas (Rollout also...), before I was able to damage it with Mila's Electroweb. She also got KOed, then I sent Allison out to finish the job. She brought over an Excadrill with Rock Slide and Swords Dance, so I tried to finish it as fast as possible with Lena. I took out most of its HP with her, to fail, yet was left with Lady. Thankfully, she had a speed advantage and managed to beat the trainer.

Rock and Fire hurt.

So... back to Route 21 and the Seaside Cave.

ROGGENROLLIN' THROUGH THE CAVE
Didn't encounter a lot of issues in the cave either. That Roggenrola fight though... so annoying. Not hard; just downright annoying because of Sturdy abuse.

But one of the most annoying aspects is that I need Strength to go through. At least I have Lemmy who can learn it... at the cost of Thrash because I need Fighting moves. If anything I did collect a couple of Heart Scales so I can get Thrash back later on. But I gotta do what I gotta do, and Strengh is one of those things.

A "boulder" blocked the end of the cave, which turned out to be a Crustle. Thanks, Colress!-... except your machine broke afterwards. GG.

I'M ON A BOAT
So this exit lead to Team Plasma's ship base thing. TTP was already there, and so was Marlon. He made a speech about asking ourselves why we did X, Y and Z, fully admitted to having made noise and to have attracted some grunts, and left.

One of the grunts called Marlon "Smiley Swimsuit" and I gotta say, he's not wrong.

Mila was the first of my entire team to hit 50! I'm proud of my tiny tick who became a badass electric spider.

More Team Plasma grunts, including a double battle. Golbat/Seviper, Acrobatics KOing Seviper and Lena KOing Golbat. Drapion/Garbodor; Drapion one-shot TTP's Simisear, Lena finishing Drapion in return, Unfezant getting badly poisoned by Garbodor... but we did the job.

Got my first number off a grunt in the dorms: 2. The other grunt in the room in front of there said their fav number is 0, and one in the kitchen gave me a Plasma Card to enter said password. It's almost like they want me to win. Jira was able to rest up before getting more info (second number is 2, 4-digit number, last digit is 2). So... 2202.

Bingo! The barriers were deactivated and I teleported into a new room.

Figures out that Zinzolin and co. have caught freakin' Kyurem. There's talk about eliminating Jira on the spot, but TTP rushes in. Guess he's getting eliminated with me.

Nah.

Team Plasma Zinzolin and Team Plasma Grunt
Serperior tried its best to bring down Cryogonal with a Leaf Blade, and it worked. Lady focused her X-Scissor on Liepard, and also did a great job. I swapped Lena in when Scolipede and the second Cryogonal were sent out, but Serperior took care of the latter. Scolipede hit Serperior with a Steamroller, but left it with over 50% of its health. Weavile used Ice Shard on Serperior, who used Wring Out on Scolipede, who used Steamroller again, while Lena OHKOed Weavile with Iron Head. TTP sent Unfezant and Air Slash'ed the Scolipede. Against the grunt's Watchog, X-Scissor did the trick.

Zinzolin, who had of course, told me how Kyurem fired ice missiles with Plasma's technology, tells TTP he's smart for figuring it out himself. After a brief, quick explaination of exactly WHY TTP is hunting down Team Plasma this bad - his sister's Purrloin was caught by their late grandfather - ... the Shadow Triad kicks the both of us out. Cheren comes in late, and tell Jira they'd need either Reshiram or Zekrom to bring Kyurem down. Meanwhile, Team Plasma is headed towards the Giant Chasm on Route 22.

I kept Oshawott on my team because I think I might need Surf in the Chasm? I'm not sure, but I'm less inclined to come back to fetch it.

GLORY TO TEAM PLAS-THE HYPNOTOAD
Ran across the spy at the Chasm. And yes, I needed Surf. Snagged me Ice Bream on my way out. The rest was rather uneventful.

Until I hit the outside. I landed mid-talk between Rood and several Plasma grunts. Rood says Ghetsis' rela plan was to take over Unova, a plan that no one else saw coming apparently. The grunts say that he's wrong, and TTP starts dishing out the truth. Pokémon help us protect the things we love. Ensues a fight (Allison got exploded by a Weezing, I miss Thrash, poison sucks). Rood gave us a couple of Max Revives, just as the backup rolls in. Then Jira slid his way to Team Plasma's boat... again.

I got ambushed by two grunts, took the teleporter, and hit a maze. Nooooo. I did spot a doctor though, but had to knock a grunt to get to him. Lady best Leavanny.

Maze wasn't too bad, got some leveling done at the same time.

Team Plasma Zinzolin
This time, he's facing me alone. He started off with a Cryogonal Allison got confused, and got shot hard by Ice Beam after hitting herself. I withdrew her and pulled Lemmy in. He got pummeled by Ice Beam as well, twice, but Brick break put an end to this Cryogonal. I didn't risk it and healed, while Cryogonal went with Ice Beam, then Light Screen. Not gonna help. Light Screen got broken and so did Cryogonal. Weavile's Night Slash connected, but didn't KO Lemmy.

THE BIG TWIST
COLRESS. He's seeking mostly to unleash Pokémon's power; including Kyurem's. His encounter with Jira pretty much proved it could be done, so he went all-out.

Team Plasma Colress
Erf, a Magneton. I sent Lemmy out, got hit by Thunder Wave, then Flash Cannon. Paralyzed, Lemmy couldn't do anything. I have one Full Restore, and this is where I spent it. It used Volt Switch, because of COURSE it did. Magnezone was sent instead. Superpower connected and... it wasn't enough. Magnezone paralysed Lemmy again, Colress ALSO used a Full Restore... then used Explosion. I wish I was kidding. I sent Lena, which was a good choice as it sent Metang. Rock Slide made her flinch, but 2x X-Scissor were enough. Klinklank was up next. I Max Revived Lemmy, let Klinklankdeal with Lena (sorry gal), though she popped its Air Balloon. Once KOed, I brought Lemmy back out, while it used Shift Gears. Giga Impact OHKOed Lemmy. I sent Lady temporarily, hoping to KO it with her, and the tactic worked.
Beheeyem fell real quickly to an X-Scissor. I attempted luck, but Flash Cannon hit twice and KOed Lady. Mila out. I went with Gastro Acid, and the Magneton paralyzer her. Really. Tri Attack connected, Signal Beam did very little damage but confused it. It hit itself, Electroweb reducsed its speed, and Magneton snapped out of confusion. Another Max Revive on Lemmy, Mila fainted to Tri Attack, so I swapped Lemmy and used Brick Break. Magne-gone.

Oh my Arceus that was one annoying fight. Thunderwave sucks.

With my team half-KOed, I backed out to the previous room to heal, saved, and mentally prepared to fight Kyurem.

But first, there's Ghetsis - he has to be there, in the ship. He claims Kyurem's more of an empty shell than Pokémon, since it got split into Reshiram and Zekrom. A Shadow Triad comes in - specifically, the one who stole TTP's sister's Purrloin. Except now it's a Liepard and apparently only listens to the guy's command. It's very ironic how he mentions that the Pokémon trapped inside the Pokéballs suffer at the hands of their trainers... while, y'know, doing even worse. The Shadows got their behinds seriously kicked by Lemmy and Allison.

In light of this, TTP finally got his sister's Purrloin, and well... I'll likely be facing Kyruem or Ghetsis soon.

BEGINNING OF THE END
Ghestis moved in the cave at the back of the Chasm, where Kyurem is said to be drawn to. This is where he can use his power at its maximum, and exactly where Ghetsis plans to freeze Unova from. N literally flies in with Reshiram, as Reshiram was in pain from Kyurem's, all according to Ghetsis' plan. Or almost. After delivering a speech to his son, Ghetsis uses the DNA splicers. Reshiram takes flight, but gets brought down by Kyurem's missiles and turned into an orb. Kyurem absorbs Reshiram's power...

White Kyurem
I gave a shot at fighting it. I started with Allison, who unleashed a Night Slash because falling to Fusion Fire. Lemmy lasted longer, getting in a nice Brick Break before also falling to Fusion Fire, after an Ice Burn that didn't KO it outright. Lena got luckier, though suffering a burn from Ice Burn.

Kuyrem and Reshiram were then separated. I was immediately drafted against Ghetsis.

Team Plasma Ghetsis
Cofagrigus: At least I got healed before. Allison used Night Slash and got her ability replaced with Mummy. At which point I got an important phone call, tuned out, went in auto-attack mode, and Allison somehow got badly poisoned. All is good though. Cofagrigus Protected itself from a Night Slash... twice... but took it down before gettined KOed due to poison.
Seismitoad: I sent Mila out but nope. I swapped her for Lady, got lightly dented by an Earthquake, and demolished it with Leaf Blade.
Eelektross: I kept her for it. Leaf Blade crit.
Drapion: Took Lemmy out for this. He ate a low-damage X-Scissor, then a Night Slash, hit a crit Brick Break on Draopion, took another X-Scissor. Brick Break hit but not for that much... Ghetsis healed Drapion, who used Night Slash again and KOed Lemmy. It used Earthquake on Lena, took some neat damage from X-Scissor, went with another Earthquake, and fainted from X-Scissor.
Toxicroak: To prevent more carnage, kinda, I let Lena use X-Scissor. I just wanted to squeeze out an attack or two instead of switching and then outright dying. I went for Mila, but realized I do have Allison - albeit she's KOed. I used a Max Revive on her, and Toxicroak's Sucker Punch failed. Electroweb lowered its speed, it used Poison Jab, and took another Electroweb to the face before Poison Jab finished off Mila. I grabbed Allison, Air Slashed, and it went down.
Hydreigon: X-Scissor did a really nice work on it, but wasn't enough to KO it. Allison ate a Rock Slide, leaving me with Lady. It used Dragon Rush, left Lady at 32 HP, but she KOed it with X-Scissor!

Oh boy... That was a tough one. But I made great use of all my team, and I love them.

I like Ghetsis much less though. Calls himself an absolute ruler and a perfect guy. He did lose to a kid twice. He claims Jira can't use his Pokémon correctly.

Cue heart-felt father-son moment, where the son tells the father that Pokémon aren't tools, but take strength from humans, just like humans draw strength from Pokémon. They are partners, not tools to each other, and I completely agree with it. Even the Shadow Triad seems to realize Ghetsis has lost it, and they take him away, leaving Jira and N to... monologue.

With this done... I'm now free to take a hike to Victory Road!

- Disregarded Route 22, acquired Route 21.
- It was a mistake.
- Reached the Seaside cave to reset a trainer, healed, went back to Humilau.
- Made it to Route 22, faced a couple trainers.
- Got the Colress MCHN from Colress.
- I got ripped to shreds by an Ace Trainer with an Excadrill and an Arcanine. I lucked out by not wiping.
- Back to heal, back to Route 21.
- Entered Seaside Cave.
- Made my way through, and used the Colress Machine thing to send a Crustle away.
- Reached the Plasma Fridge Frigate and got to work.
- Mila reached level 50!
- Got the password from the various grunts.
- And the card. Seriously, who gives out a card to enter a password to foil your organization's plans?
- Teamed up with TTP for a double battle.
- Got caught by Zinzolin, and got sent back by the Shadow Triad.
- Went all the way back to the Giant Chasm.
- Landed on Rood giving a speech that fell on deaf ears.
- Entered the Frigate again.
- Took care of a puzzle to open gates and lift barriers.
- Did all of that to reach Colress...
- Spoilers: Colress is a part of Team Plasma, and wants to harness Pokémon's power to the maaaaaaaax. Even if he has to be a bad guy.
- But it doesn't matter in the end, he got his butt kicked. It wasn't a pretty fight.
- And who else is on board?
-... Ghetsis!
- He revealed his entire plan about taking Unova with Kyurem, then calls on the Shadow Triad.
- And one of them had TTP's sister's Purrloin! Well, a Liepard at this point.
- They all went down.
- Ghetsis exited the frigate, so I followed him out to a cave nearby.
- TTP's sister's Liepard is safe!
- More plot stuff: N comes flying down with Reshiram...
- Ghetsis accuses him of being a traitor but kinda forgives him...
- N lets Reshiram attack, Reshiram gets caught by Kyurem, turned into an orb, and Kyurem aborbs Reshiram.
- Oooh fusion.
- I fought White Kyurem, and won... but that was tough.
- ... And the fight against Ghetsis wasn't easy either, with no heals between. But it's over!
- Team Plasma story wrapping up!
- N tried to reason with his father, and it didn't work. I mean... it was doomed from the start.
- The Shadow Triad dropped by to take Ghetsis away!
- And I told TTP that Team Plasma's days were over.
- Exit Chasm!
- On my way out, I ran into Rood again, who indeed confirmed that Colress was disbanding Team Plasma.
- So I just made it back to Humilau...
- ... And started prepations for... Victory Road.

Allison - Scyther (Bug/Flying)
Level: 54
Nature: Sassy
Caught at: level 1 (Egg hatched)
Characteristic: Highly persistent.
Ability: Swarm
Moveset: X-Scissor, Night Slash, Double Team, Air Slash

Lady - Leavanny (Bug/Grass)
Level: 53
Nature: Bashful
Caught at: level 3
Characteristic: Loves to eat.
Ability: Chlorophyll
Moveset: Leaf Storm, Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Leaf Blade

Lena - Escavalier (Bug/Steel)
Level: 52
Nature: Docile
Caught at: level 26
Ability: Shell Armor
Moveset: X-Scissor, Iron Defense, Iron Head, Bug Buzz

Mila - Galvantula (Bug/Electric)
Level: 51
Nature: Mild
Characteristic: Often scatters things.
Ability: Compoundeyes
Moveset: Electroweb, Signal Beam, Gastro Acid, Slash

Lemmy - Pinsir (Bug)
Level: 51
Caught at: level 24
Characteristic: Sturdy body.
Ability: Mold Breaker
Moveset: Swords Dance, Strength, Brick Break, Superpower

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
It's that time! The climb for Victory Road! I'm hoping to be entirely done with this challenge by Sunday, though possibly Monday or Tuesday depending on the outcome of my first Elite 4 attempt. And since I more or less know what to expect, and I'm doing it half-blind, we'll see all of that later on!

But for now... enjoy the suffering. Because it wasn't an easy climb!

CHAPTER 9 - VICTORY ROAD OR BUST

Time to close up on a couple things.

The first of those, get the remaining Bugs I have access to. Which is a whole two: Volcarona and Shuckle. The rest are in post-E4 content (Yanma/Yanmega, Durant) or just not accessible by my current means (Heracross is a B2 exclusive, and Genesect is an event exclusive.) I went for Volcarona first.

VOLCAROHHH-YEAAAH
I flew back to Nimbasa and headed to Route 4, then to the Desert Resort, and finally into Relic Castle. I am way overleveled for this area, and according to sources, in the wrong area, period. Back to Nimbasa, I took the Tranquill again, flew back to Drifttveil, dropped the Tranquill, made it back in... and then I got off the wrong exit again. Went back in again... and this time I reached Relic Castle.

It took me about 20 seconds to get to the right room. I reached the single Volcarona in the game, a female, and caught her. Her name is Sol, and I might add her to my team. Used an Escape Rope and wound up back in Driftveil.

WELL SHUCKLE
Shuckle is in Seaside Cave B1, with a 5% spawn chance. I'm not looking forward to this.

It wasn't as bad as for some other Pokémon - looking at you, Shelmet and Pinsir. Eventually landed on a male Shuckle, caught him, and named him Jules.

I used an Escape Rope again, then backtracked to Humilau.

VICTORY ROAD PREPS
With 290k monies, I was pretty set. Not buying Pokéballs helps a ton. I bought like 20 Hyper Potions, 25 Full Restores, 20 Revives and 2 more Escape Ropes. I stuck with what I had in my team, for now: Atlas (48), Lady (53), Sol (35), Mila (51), Lemmy (51 - Strength HM) and the Oshawott Surf buddy because it looks like I'm gonna need Surf.

I don't even know, at this point, exactly where Victory Road is. I gave a shot at going through Giant Chasm. I took wrong turns all over, but I did get some items out of it. I made it to Route 23 before regrets of not bringing Allison or Victoria settled in. Later killed after running into a trainer with an Emolga.

Made a good decision in bringing the Oshawott though: I need Waterfall, according to N, whom I met right near the Victory Road's entrance, Badge Check.

Basic Badge confirmed! Toxic Badge confirmed! Insect Badge confirmed! Bolt Badge confirmed! Quake Badge confirmed! Jet Badge confirmed!
Legend Badge confirmed! Wave Badge confirmed!

The doors lit up and let Jira through. I headed for the Pokémon Center, healed up, fiddled with my team (got Allison in) and proceeded ahead.

STRUGGLE ROAD
So many Ace Trainers. I'm a tad underleveled for this section. The first trainer knocked Atlas out pretty quickly. I progressed okay after that first one. I was scared for anything Flying (Unfezant....) but Fire also scared me. Never been this happy to have Mila on my team, as she's my anti-Flyer. A Veteran with a Sigilyph gave me a particularly rough time, knocking out Mila via Psychic. Air Slash is an absolute nuisance to my team, to the point where I considered wiping to put Marbles on my team. Thankfully, the next trainer was a Doctor with a Clefable... except that the Clefable has Minimize.

Trying to make sense of Jira's surroundings, I ran into an Altaria, ugh... a trainer with a Skarmory, and one with a Heatmor right after. it did not go well, most of its attacks being Flame Burst. Even with Allison's Double Team - two of them - Rock Slide managed to hit, on top of it all. Thanks to Mila's Electroweb, I was able to KO it with Atlas, but the trainer's next 'mon was a Galvantula. It ruined all chances I had by spamming Charge Beam until it rose its SPATK by a ton, causing me to eventually wipe. It had about 10 HP left. One hit off and I would've KOed it.

Other notable nuisances:
- On my way back, a trainer's Cofagrigus had one pip of HP against Allison, before KOing her... no more than 5 HP. It hurt.
- An Eelektross with Flamethrower nearly wiped me;
- Zebstrika with Flame Charge again, this needs to stop;
- Anything with Rock Slide (Throh, Sawk, Gigalith...);
- A Battle Gil with both Throh, Sawk... and Endure on both;

And then TTP attacks me. Was I ready? Hell nope. Hell to the freaking nope.

Pokémon Trainer TTP, attempt #1
And he uses Unfezant. Aerial Ace and Swagger while I prep Mila back up. I managed a Rollout before sending her out, but she ripped him back with Electroweb. Good. The then unleashes Simisear. Discharge paralyzed it, then Simisear used Flamethrower and instantly KOed Mila. I changed back to Allison, got hit by Rock Slide, out of all the things, and he used a Max Potion while I had Lady out. Lady. Against Flamethrower. I revived Lemmy, but he withdrew Simisear for Serperior... It used Coil twice, while Lady spammed X-Scissor. Simisear was paralyzed, letting Lemmy use Superpower and KOing it. His next choice was Bouffalant. I used Swords Dance with Lady, suffered a Head Charge, got KOed... threw a Max Revive at Lemmy, used Superpower again, got a Head Charge and finally wiped. I lost 6k during that stupid fight.

TTP iving up to its namesake: being annoying. At this point, I went back up Victory Road, thought about grinding, and gave up. I climbed back up, triggering some trainers I hadn't fought before, and promptly forgot to save before re-fighting TTP.

Pokémon Trainer TTP, attempt #2
Unfezant
: Mila out. Immediately hit by Swagger. She hit herself, got hit by Facade. I healed her, got hit by Aerial Ace, used Discharge again and KOed it.
Simisear: Same deal, just Discharge. Paralyzed Simisear. Discharged again, KO.
Bouffalant: Discharge once more. It used Head Charge, pulled Lemmy out, tapped on Superpower, and KOed Bouffalant.
Serperior: Lady's turn. It used Coil a couple times before Leaf Blade, while I spammed X-Scissor. KOed on the third one.

Kid gave me TM24 (Thunderbolt) and went back the way he came.

I have never mashed the Save button as fast on a Pokémon game.

But I have made it through Victory Road.

It took hours. It was the crappiest climb out of my entire Pokémon history, I do believe. Bugs have a severe weakness to a ton of stuff at this point, and it was just painful.

And so I started my grind... I found a patch of grass I can get Audino fights from, and I'm gonna grind on this for a while, until I feel comfortable facing the Elite 4.

- Checked what I was missing in terms of Bug-type Pokémon.
- Only two more I could get at this point: Volcarona and Shuckle.
- Set off to find Volcarona, in Relic Passage outside of PWT.
- Got lost a couple times on my way to Relic Castle.
- Made it to Volcarona!
- Caught Sol the female Volcarona at level 35.
- Exited via Escape Rope.
- Flew back to Humilau and surfed down to Seaside Cave to get Shuckle.
- Added a male Shuckle, Jules, to my PC! Level ...? (I forgot and I'm mid-grind as I'm writing this.)
- Made preparations for the climb up Victory Road.
- Headed for the Giant Chasm.
- Kinda got lost, but eventually reached Badge Check.
- Check my Badges, it did.
- Opened the gate and started Victory Road.
- Worst.
- Climb.
- EVER.
- I wiped to a Galvantula, I mean.
- So I went back to it.
- Still a terrible climb. Between things with Rock Slide, Flame Charge, thing that I had no real strengths against...
- Or things I had strengths against but had terrible weaknesses for me...
- Looking at you Sawk/Throh trainers...
- Reached TTP and got absolutely destroyed, leaving TTP's Bouffalant with about 10 HP.
- Climbed back up, frustrated.
- Got back to TTP and had a much easier fight, with more Pokémon alive at this time... So yeah, I won that fight against TTP.
- Made it OUT of Victory Road!
- Healed, and started my grind.

Sol - Volcarona (Bug/Fire)
Level: 38
Nature: Bold
Caught at: level 35
Characteristic: Highly curious.
Ability: Flame Body
Moveset: String Shot, Leech Life, Guest, Fire Spin

Level: 56

Level: 56

Level: 55
Moveset: Discharge, Signal Beam, Gastro Acid, Slash

Lemmy - Pinsir (Bug)
Level: 54
Moveset: Swords Dance, Strength, Brick Break, Superpower

Lena - Escavalier (Bug/Steel)
Level: 55
Moveset: X-Scissor, Iron Defense, Iron Head, Bug Buzz

Typhlosion

The Perfect Ruler
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Mmm, congratulations on making it through Victory Road! Your team is filling out with a nice spread of secondary types. I forgot what a trash movepool Volcarona has, though, compared to Larvesta.

WindriderShiva

Rookie Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Well hello friends: this is it! Last chapter of this run! It's pretty long, there's no TLDR because well, despite it being really long, I can sum it up with this:

I finished it! Beat the E4, beat the champion, made it into the game's Hall of Fame, and it's time for me to move on to another challenge. Don't know yet... but something's gonna come eventually.

@Typhlosion : Thank you! I liked that from Gen V, that they started to give more secondaries to Bug-types. Not enough if you want my opinion, but they were welcome changes. Also yes, Volcarona's moveset is... uh... lacking, to put it nicely. It's trash indeed.

CHAPTER 10 - <13374> ELITE 4 </13374>

Sol - Volcarona (Bug/Fire)
Level: 60
Nature: Bold
Caught at: level 35
Characteristic: Highly curious.
Ability: Flame Body
Moveset: Quiver Dance, Heat Wave, Acrobatics, Fire Spin

Moveset: Discharge, Signal Beam, Gastro Acid, Slash

Lemmy - Pinsir (Bug) @Metronome
Moveset: Swords Dance, Thrash, Brick Break, Superpower

Lena - Escavalier (Bug/Steel) @SilverPowder
Moveset: X-Scissor, Iron Defense, Iron Head, Giga Impact

First off, I grinded. Oh boy, there's a lot of smushed Audino over Victory Road. Entire team's at 60. Once I got that done, I flew back down to rid poor Lemmy out of Strength, and put Thrash instead. I don't have a lot of move-boosting items, but I gave the Metronome to Lemmy because Thrash, and Lena inherited the SilverPowder for now. I saved my game, and prepared myself to also get smushed.

IT IS TIME.

Elite 4 Shauntal:
Cofagrigus: Used Will-O-Wisp to burnLena; nah, not gonna work out. I swapped her out for Allison. Shadow Bolt crit, and Night Slash wasn't enough to KO it. It used Shadow Ball again, KOing Allison. I sent Sol, used Acrobatics - barely dented it. Shadow Ball hit again. Shauntal used a Full Restore, letting me set up Quiver Dance I used that twice, got hit by Shadow Ball again, Fire Spin... this time Shadow Ball crit hard. I used a Hyper Potion on Sol, ate another Shadow Ball, used Fire Spin again, and Cofagrigus finally got KOed.
Chandelure: Acrobatics, I guess. Not the most damaging attack, but it's the safest approach. Chandelue used a Sirtus berry, then Fire Blast followed by Shadow Ball, and I'm quite thankful for the Quiver Dance setup.
Driftblim: Swapped for Mila. It also used Acrobatics, and Discharge left it juuuuust in the red. Mila got KOed by Shadow Ball. I sent Lena, got hit by a Thunderbolt, used Ironhead, and Lena KOed it.
Golurk: Lady's turn. It started off with Earthquake, Lady's Leaf Blade ALMOST KOed it - 3 whole pixels of HP left - and fainted on the next one.

Oh boy. Urf. I made it through Shauntal, I might have this. I healed my team and teleported to...

Elite 4 Grimsley:
Liepard: Fake Out, duh... I didn't see it coming and I don't even know why. It actually used Aerial Ace... on Lena, and then fainted to her X-Scissor.
Krookodile: Earthquake, but X-Scissor took care of it.
Scrafty: Scrafty started with Brick Break, and X-Scissor wasn't enough. Swapped Lena for Allison. Another Brick Break, but very very little damage to her. Went with Air Slash, almost KOed it. Got hit by Rock Tomb, and mentally prepared for a Hyper Potion or a Full Restore. The latter happened. Air Slash again, I healed Allison real quick, Rock Tomb hit and lowered her speed, then it hit again and made poor Allison faint. This is fine. Moxie triggered: this is less fine. I grabbed Lady, used X-Scissor, Scrafty used Rock Tomb again, but Lady got another X-Scissor out and Scrafty fell.
Bisharp: Lemmy out. Aerial Ace vs. Superpower, and Bisharp was a OHKO.

Grimsley down. Next!

Elite 4 Caitlin:
Musharna: Thrash from Lemmy, but ugh that Musharna has quite the high defense. It used Yawn, but honestly that gave me a chance to Full restore him. So did Caitlin, but I was expecting it. I sent Allison out instead, it used Yawn again. Night Slash went out though. Dream Eater - I'm not having it. Full Restore it is. Night Slash again, followed by Yawn, another Night Slash. KO.
Sigilyph: I still kept Allison on the floor... prepared a Night Slash, got an Air Slash in return. Allison woke up, Night Slash connected, returned as an Air Slash, and Sigilyph KOed Allison with Ice Beam. Mila out, Discharge, KO.
Reuniclus: Signal Beam from Mila, who took a Psychic, but Signal Beam was faster and bye bye Reuniclus.
Gothitelle: Psychic/Dark? Mila's Signal Beam brought it down pretty low, but another Psychic occured and Mila fainted. I sent in Lady with the speed advantage, X-Scissored it for the KO.

Caintlin is also down. Another heal round, and I went in face...

Elite 4 Marshal:
Throh: I kinda gave it a shot with Lemmy, used Sword Dance. His speed fell down to Bulldoze. He managed to avoid a Rock Slide, used Brick Break, but that Throh's Payback was... not as painful as I thought. Of course, Throh being in the red zone, meant a Full Restore. Lemmy used Brick Break again, left Throh at a single pixel of HP, barely visible on the bar... but Throh's Brick Break hit first and KOed it.
Conkeldurr: Thrash with Lemmy. OKHO. I wasn't gonna have this thing live.
Mienshao: It immediately used Bounce. Lemmy's Thrash missed. Used Thrash again, in case. He got paralyzed from Bounce's hit! Mienshao used Bounce again, KOed Lemmy... I sent Sol on the field, used Acrobatics, followed by another freaking Bounce by Mienshao - I hate that move right now. So much. I used Quiver Dance for the lulz, Sol avoided the attack, Acrobatics connected but the damage wasn't enough to make Sol faint, and BAM, Mienshao down, having taken another Acrobatics.
Sawk: I went back to Acrobatics spam, and Sawk's Rock Slide connected for the KO. I brought Allison out, used Air Slash, and she just knocked Sawk out with it.

The Elite 4 is down!

Holy wow. I wasn't expecting to go through them all this quickly. It was a struggle, but I was expecting even worse, I'm not gonna lie. The most painful was Shauntal, and I was mostly badly prepared for it due to me not leading with someone made for that. Last heal round before the Champion.

Let me say that I wasn't expecting Iris.

Champion Iris:
Oh ARCEUS I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.
Hydreigon: I was leading with Lemmy, and used Swords Dance. It countered with Flamethrower, leaving Lemmy in red bar. I healed him. Hydreigon used Dragon Pulse, then Flamethrower, KOing Lemmy. So I sent Allison in retaliation, who got an X-Scissor in. Flamethrower came close to make her faint, but it didn't! I healed Allison, Iris also healed Hydreigon. Allison has a speed advantage, and snuck in two X-Scissors for the KO.
Druddigon: All the Darks eh. X-Scissor. FLAMETHROWER. BAD DRAGON. Went with Sol used Fire Spin to trap it, got hit by Rock Slide, OHKOed, brought Lena out, and got hit by Flamethrower again. Left with 3HP. X-Scissor hit just in time.
Aggron: I used a Max Revive on Lemmy. I WANT THIS THING DOWN. Aggron went with Earthquake on Lena, KOing her finally. Once Lemmy was revived, I had him use Superpower. It worked. Aggron was out.
Archeops: Archeops started Rock Slide spam. This was not fine. I'm not sure what prompted me to send Lady, but it was clearly a mistake, as she got OHKOed by Acrobatics. I revived Lena while Mila was out, used an Hyper Potion on top. Archeops used Rock Slide twice, but Lena was stronger and lived through both. She brought Archeops with a single, massive Iron Head.
Haxorus: Hyper Potion on Lena, stat. In order, Haxorus used Earthquake and Dragon dance. I got defensive with Lena and went with Iron defense. It helped. Earthquake hit less. I used a second Iron Defense, threw a Hyper Potion potion at her, while Haxorus went back to his Dragon Dance... this is my chance. Haxorus used Earthquake... and I whipped out Giga Impact. It connected. Haxorus tried Earthquake again while Lena recharged, then Dragon Dance. Haxorus eventually got KOed by that second Giga Impact.
Lapras: Lapras used Sing and put Lena to sleep. Meanwhile, I started to set up. I revived Lady, got hit by Surf on Lena. Then I revived Mila, and got hit by Surf again. I sent Lady out, hit Leaf Blade, and Lapras LIVED THROUGH IT. Lapras then Ice Beamed Lady to oblivion. I was on my last Pokémon, Mila. Speed was gonna save me... I used Discharge, and FINALLY, brought LAPRAS DOWN!!!

Wow. That huh... that was a thing that happened.

Mila lived with like, 30-32 HP. She was definitely in yellow bar, barely one hit away from KO.

This means that Jira is now Unova's Champion!

That was NOT easy, but hey, run's completed. Super proud of my team, despite the glaring oversights and sub-optimal movesets. It was a fun run. More on that in a spoiler below!

Oh boy. Ooooh boy.

Let's get the negatives out, in a concise manner. I'll never hammer those in enough, so I'm gonna dump this, and move on.
- Too many common weaknesses. Way too many common weaknesses. Rock, Fire, Flying... I had a run for my money just with Fire and Rock moves making it on some select Pokémon: Zebstrika, anything Fighting, Rock or Ground with Rock Slide... the weaknesses are of the NOT FUN kind.
- Needed more diversity even before Gen V, especially to counter said super common weaknesses.
- Seriously though... way too annoying.

Now that this has been said:
When I was a kid, I always wanted a Scyther on my team but when I actually did... I barely used it. Eventually when Vacuum Punch became a thing, I started using Scyther/Scizor, but it fell into disuse shortly after, as I found stronger Pokémon. I find the line pretty awesome-looking today still, and I'm happy I took one through the endgame, finally.

And Galvantula too. Joltik's cute, Galvantula is awesome, and pretty stable. I like having a strength against something I'm weak too, and Galvantula fits that. What, a Bug that can crush a Flying 'mon? Any day of the week! It's fun having a fast ****** to take care of what was a pretty big weakness in this run. And that Mila was the last one alive on my team just further sets the deal in: Galvantula is great.

Another bit surprise was Leavanny. I remember Castellia's Gym's being a huge threat to a previous party of mine, ending a Nuzlocke in fact; Leavanny's fast and has surprisingly solid moves at low levels, moves that were still relevant even in the E4. I didn't change her moveset much throughout the run, and she pulled through where she needed to. ... If she was fast enough, that is. There were times when I marveled at the defense she had, and others where I was thinking she was uber weak to everything. She's in a tie with Galvantula as my MVP.

Pinsir was fun to use too. Was great against Steel and Normal, with a nice native Fighting moveset. And against Rock too, if anything that threw rocks at me had actually been Rock types. Ice wasn't too much of a threat to bugs, but it's still a welcome addition all-around. And Thrash. I love Thrash. Oh, and Lemmy was one of the few male Pokémon in my party.

Volcarona... has... a terrible native moveset. I do appreciate Quiver Dance and Fire Spin, but that wasn't enough. She was useful, but I think I caught her too late in this run and someone else would've been better in her stead. Kinda happy I gave it a shot, but it wasn't meant to be.

I already ran with an Escavalier in a Gen VI Wondertrade challenge, and it really put in a lot of weight in my team. It tore a lot of stuff apart, and I was expecting something similar a generation earlier. I was not wrong. Lena was a huge help, less against Fire and Fighting, but saved me from Poison, Flying, Electric even at times... Yep, one of my most powerful teammates. No regrets with this 'mon!

All-around, it was a challenging run. The fun kinda challenging, until I hit Shauntal and then it just became stupidly annoying. Once Shauntal was down, it was smoother... until Iris. I feel bad for sacrificing this many teammates, but it worked. I still find Gen V's grind stupid, coupled with well, a rather limited type, where I needed to be overleveled at times to have a decent chance. And even if Audino are a thing, they're still rare-ish - I walked a lot outside of tall grass to spawn them. Thought it wasn't as bad in Gen VI and VII, so at least that got improved on.

I think that's it for this run, thanks for reading, commenting and so on! I'll be back at a later date with something new! I don't know what yet, but we'll see~!

Status
Not open for further replies.