PMD Discussion Thread

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
just wanted a thread for pmd !!!

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is a series of spin off games in which you turn into a Pokemon and explore dungeons while collecting items/attacking enemy Pokemon in a rogue-like fashion. They are notable for their powerful stories that overflow with emotion and sense of dread, hope, and excitement... and also for being able to play as a Pokemon rather than a human collecting/befriending Pokemon.

Games in the series (only including those translated to english):

Red Rescue Team (Game Boy Advance)
Blue Rescue Team (Nintendo DS)

Explorers of Time (Nintendo DS)
Explorers of Darkness (Nintendo DS)
Explorers of Sky (Nintendo DS)

Gates to Infinity (Nintendo 3DS)

Super Mystery Dungeon (Nintendo 3DS)

---

The reason I am making a thread for these games is bc I didn't see any already made yet, so I think a general discussion thread works well. And this series holds a very, VERY special place in my heart. Also I know I'm not the only one who can talk about these games endlessly.

Here are some very basic starting discussion points:

-Which of the games have you played?
-Which entry is your favorite, or least favorite?
-Which features of the game do you like and dislike?
-Do you want to see another Mystery Dungeon game in the future?
-Did you bawl like a baby at every single game's story like I did?

This thread can also be used for:

-Asking to be rescued (please provide all necessary info for being rescued and specify which game you're playing)
-Asking questions about any of the games (I know a lot about them, especially Explorers of Sky as I have written guides and walkthroughs for that one, so if you want to know anything or even just advice I am happy to help and I'm sure others in the community are too)
-Ranking/reviewing the existing games
-Anything else related to mystery dungeon!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE THESE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resolute

The Locowomotive
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
My favorite is definitely Explorers of Time. I played Magnagate and wasn't into it, and I didn't like Red Rescue Team cause it was a bit barebones. Using Action Replay codes to break the game is one of my fondest memories of it - making my PC a level 100 Darkrai and my partner a level 100 Jirachi was the absolute coolest thing ever at the time. :D

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
My favorite is definitely Explorers of Time. I played Magnagate and wasn't into it, and I didn't like Red Rescue Team cause it was a bit barebones. Using Action Replay codes to break the game is one of my fondest memories of it - making my PC a level 100 Darkrai and my partner a level 100 Jirachi was the absolute coolest thing ever at the time. :D
the explorers games are amazing!! like i remember thinking red/blue rescue team were perfect and then explorers just blew them out of the water. without even really changing or improving graphics that much. so excellent.

Flo

Half-Genie Hero
Time Zone
BST
oh god here we go again

i've played all the pokemon mystery dungeon games (minus the wiiware ones yamero)

rescue team are both super solid games with a great story, a bomb-ass soundtrack and fun gameplay that promotes replaying and a hecking lot of postgame content

explorers of time/darkness comes around and says 'no those games are trash here's a real pmd game' and boom they're the same game but better in every single way

then Sky comes around and says 'man those games were pretty neat huh? what if they were just better in every way' and wow sky was my favourite game ever

then GTI comes around and says ' what if PMD had no soul and was just a husk of what it was' and it was very bad for a PMD game and i never finished it

then SuperPMD comes around and says 'sorry my bro is was so stupid, here's a real PMD game' and it was pretty good if not on the messianic level of EoS.

yeah the series is okay i guess

Sky is my favourite game of all time, which is mostly out of sentimental reasons these days, as even though I've played mechanically better games, Sky made me cry like a *****.
multiple times.

the worst one is GTI because it's soulless and has no real personality. also the quiz was taken out.

Wren

Adept Trainer
I can't believe nobody's mentioned the amazing music in Explorers, especially Craggy Coast and Amp Plains.

Last edited:

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey

Cynical_Toast

Trash Connoisseur
AKA
Charlie
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I was a ravenous fan of Explorers back in the day, like absolutely obsessed. I remember I summarized the story to my parents for like an hour at a time, probably boring them to death but I had fun so I mean whatever. The game really opened my eyes to what a story in a game could be, which is something I won't forget.

That said, it's been a long time since I've given the game another proper look. I've tried to replay it again, as well as try out Rescue Team, but I've been stumped as I've come to a central conclusion: these games are way too hard for me. I had to use cheat codes to beat EOS as a kid, and even then I never managed to get through the Dark Crater with Cresselia. Most of the games I found hard as a kid are manageable for me now, but these games are just too extreme I guess. I don't know if I'll ever managed to slug through it again, but at least I'm glad I played it once.

Wren

Adept Trainer
I was a ravenous fan of Explorers back in the day, like absolutely obsessed. I remember I summarized the story to my parents for like an hour at a time, probably boring them to death but I had fun so I mean whatever. The game really opened my eyes to what a story in a game could be, which is something I won't forget.

That said, it's been a long time since I've given the game another proper look. I've tried to replay it again, as well as try out Rescue Team, but I've been stumped as I've come to a central conclusion: these games are way too hard for me. I had to use cheat codes to beat EOS as a kid, and even then I never managed to get through the Dark Crater with Cresselia. Most of the games I found hard as a kid are manageable for me now, but these games are just too extreme I guess. I don't know if I'll ever managed to slug through it again, but at least I'm glad I played it once.
True, but that was always part of the fun. The games are easy enough for me now, but no matter how prepared you may be, if something goes wrong, it has a tendency to go seriously wrong. One minute you're exploring a dungeon and everything is fine and dandy, the next minute you've entered a monster house, a wild Drifloon has used Ominous Wind, knocking out all but one of your party members, and then evolved into Drifblim.

Explorers was notoriously difficult because the later story dungeons had like multiple things that could go wrong. I would always be treading cautiously but then crap, I've run into a pokemon. Crap, another pokemon appeared behind me, now I'm surrounded. Crap, a third pokemon appeared behind the first, now it's a party! Crap, a Ghost pokemon appeared, I can't hit through walls. Crap, another Ghost pokemon appeared. Crap, one of them put me to sleep. Crap, one of them used Grudge and I've run out of PP. Crap, my belly is empty and I don't have food. Crap, I've run into a monster house. Crap, I stepped on a Toxic Spikes trap. Crap, my teammates also stepped on the same trap because of how the AI worked in Explorers. Crap, I stepped on a warp trap when I was one tile away from the stairs.

The dungeons were long and arduous, but it made it all the more rewarding when I finally made it through.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAF

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
yeah Mystery Dungeon games can get really difficult, but I always loved that. Maybe it's because I love learning different strategies and coming into a dungeon fully prepared..etc, i know a lot of people find the game "artificially hard" and too tedious/boring. But personally I've just always loved the gameplay idk.

There's always an answer to everything, you just gotta know the game, and I think that scares away newbies):

SAF

Child of the Musketeers (?)
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
As for myself, I used to play PMD Red Rescue Team and Explorers (I don't remember which one) back when I was a middle schooler. That, and I also watched people playing GTI and PSMD just enough to get me flipped upon watching PSMD's major plot twist: "It's not you who have to go. It's me."

shhmew

insolent pup
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i really really appreciated Super's plot twist but unfortunately i feel like the ending (the stuff after the credits roll) didn't stick the landing. every single explorers game has a good story, though. Edit: hey lets test spoilers with what really killed me about super's plot twist. when the credits are rolling, and your player character is just sitting on the hill sobbing. IT KILLED ME

Last edited: