Pokemon Class Challenge - Looking for Rules Feedback

BigKlingy

New Trainer
So, hi. On seeing the Sword/Shield trailer, I was hit with an idea for a challenge run that I might do for a blind video series on those games. I've had elements of this in mind for a while, and I've seen other challenges like it (the "Chesslocke", I think, as well as a "Role Challenge" I saw done on the previous Marriland forums), but being as big a fan of Fire Emblem as I am, the idea is Pokemon x Fire Emblem classes. I've got some ideas, but I'd like feedback to help refine them before I commit to anything.

Firstly, this challenge is not intended to be a Nuzlocke, but you could combine it with Nuzlocke rules if you wanted to.

Basic idea: Pokemon you catch are assigned a "class", and each class has its own restrictions. I've made 8 "standard" classes, so you could roll a D8 or generate a random number to determine the class of new catches. The exception is one Pokemon must be the Lord.

Lord

The Lord is either your starter or a Pokemon of your choice from the first area of the game.

-Must always be in the party.
-Cannot use moves with more than 60 power until its final evolution.
-Is only allowed to evolve into its final form after the 6th/7th badge/trial. The Lord always promotes late, after all.

At the moment I'm unsure of the evolution time. After the 6th badge or after the 7th? I'm leaning towards 6th (giving it two badges post-evo), but 7th would be harder.

If you're doing a Nuzlocke, it's either Game Over if the Lord dies, or you have to choose another Pokemon to make the new Lord.

And now the other classes.

1. Swordmaster
-Cannot use moves with more than 60 power, UNLESS they’re priority or high-critical moves.
-Must be given the Scope Lens when possible.
-Can’t use stat-raising moves besides Speed. (And Evasion if you're allowing that) Focus Energy and Laser Focus also allowed.

2. Berserker
-Cannot use special moves.
-Cannot use moves with 100% accuracy.
-Can’t use stat-raising moves besides Attack.

3. Cleric
-Cannot use moves with more than 60 power.
-You can only use healing items while this Pokemon is on the field.

4. Archer
-Cannot use moves with less than 100% accuracy.
-Must learn never-miss moves when possible.

5. Cavalier:
-No move restrictions…
-But must be switched out after 2 turns. (alternatively, after it KOs a Pokemon?)

6. Armour Knight
-Can use all moves except speed-raising ones, but…
-Must stay in battle for 5 turns before allowed to switch.

7. Mage
-Cannot use physical moves.
-Cannot know more than one move of the same type.
-Can only use stat-raising moves that raise Sp Attack.

8. Thief/Ninja (Call it whichever you want)
-Can only know one attacking move, and it can’t have more than 60 power.
-Remaining 3 slots must be status or stat-lowering moves.

The way the stat-raising move restrictions work is that moves that raise that stat and another are okay. (So a Mage could use Calm Mind or Quiver Dance, but not Amnesia) The exception is Armour Knight, which can use anything so long as it doesn't raise Speed.

Move restrictions don't apply until they have a reason to apply. What that means is, say you catch a Pokemon and it's a Mage, but it only knows physical moves and you have no Special TMs it can learn. In this case, the Mage is allowed to use physical moves, until it learns a Special move or you obtain a Special TM it can learn. At this point, it MUST learn the new Special move, and from that point on it can't use physical moves.

A Pokemon can learn an HM move that breaks its restrictions if that's your only option for progression, as long as they don't use that move in battle.

If a Pokemon runs out of PP for all its legal moves, it either has to switch or you waste turns as best you can until it faints. Hopefully this situation never occurs.

So, feedback on the classes is appreciated. Right now, I feel like Archer needs a bit more, and Thief could do with some changes. A possible alternative Thief:

8. Thief/Ninja
-Can only know one attacking move. (But no power restrictions)
-Remaining 3 slots must be status or stat-lowering moves.
-Can only use its attacking move on foes that have a status or a lowered stat.

So yeah. Feedback appreciated. My idea is that, for Galar Pokemon, I get to choose their class (but being blind on their stats and moves, I could end up choosing poorly), but previous gen Pokemon get a random class. This could lead to "fun" things like a Mage Aggron or Berserker Alakazam.

(And no, before anyone asks, I'm not doing reclassing. That'd get too confusing.)

Giron

Literal Rant
AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Hey, nice to see you back the forums again.

Anyway, seems like an interesting challenge. I do like the alternate Thief/Ninja (since that would also encompass assassins, and assassins would hit hard), as the below 60 power thing would remind me of knives. Archer could be restricted to one high-crit move with 100 Accuracy, or use the Scope Lens or something for its crit rate. Idk, though.

(and while I would say that the Lord should be weak to fire, that'd be too much into the realm of Tokyo Mirage Sessions than actual Fire Emblem, lol) But speaking of the lord, 6th would probably be the most viable, since some lords promote earlier. 8th would be too much like Roy, and far too late. If we knew more about the story, then sometime during the end of the evil team bit would fit the best, but well, blind is blind...

For Cavalier, I think it could depend on how you're playing it - either shift or set. On Shift Mode, I'd definitely say to switch out when you're asked to, but Set would probably be the 2 turns. (this would probably also apply for other battle types, though)

Last edited:

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
Hey!!! Good to see you again. I feel flattered that you remember my Role Challenge with how long ago it was now, hehe.

Non-contact moves could be a nice option for the archer that falls in line with the theme. I think I'd lean toward your alternate thief - having used a Pokemon with that third rule before, I think it works nicely. I really favored restrictions on switching in my rules in part because they force you to strategize in a way that's different and a lot of fun. For the same reason, I'd lean toward the two turn rule on the cavalier as it is now, though I think after KO would be workable with another restriction added to it.

BigKlingy

New Trainer
Thanks for the replies.

(and while I would say that the Lord should be weak to fire, that'd be too much into the realm of Tokyo Mirage Sessions than actual Fire Emblem, lol)
Optional Sigurd rule: hack your Lord into their final stage at Lv 1, but they must be released after the 4th badge.

Definitely leaning more towards the alternate Thief/Ninja. That could work for Archer, maybe. I might make them the only class able to use never-miss moves, though whether they even have that option highly depends on what ends up being an Archer. Restricting them to non-contact moves might work, but that could be a problem early on. (So many things have only Tackle for offence in the extreme earlygame)

I was thinking of Set anyway, but I am leaning more towards the 2 turn rule for Cavaliers than the KO thing. That could encourage stalling with Cavaliers, and that's not really "thematic". The idea is they charge in, deliver a quick strike, then retreat.

6th Badge evolution for the Lord sounds good.

LRachelR5

Junior Trainer
These sound really cool, I like the idea of each role mentioned. I was just thinking what if the Cleric must, if possible, know a recovery move like milk drink, recover, morning sun etc? I was just wondering if this wasn't a nuzlocke, could you pick the pokemon you want to use if they would fit a particular class?

BigKlingy

New Trainer
You could, but I kind of like the idea of randomizing it, because being forced to use, for example, a Mage Machamp, would be interesting.

LRachelR5

Junior Trainer
You could, but I kind of like the idea of randomizing it, because being forced to use, for example, a Mage Machamp, would be interesting.
I get that, but after you get a full team would you still catch pokemon for your box or stop after you get 6 or 8 pokemon to use?

BigKlingy

New Trainer
I'm probably going to catch more and swap them out as I go, until I settle on a "main team". If it ends up being on a blind playthrough, I'll probably gravitate towards new Pokemon, like I do most times I play a new Gen.

I might do "no buying items besides Pokeballs" to make things more interesting, maybe.