Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Have any of you ever played it? What did you think of it? Do you think that GF should look into making a sequel?

Franciscosta

Communist Duck
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I played it to the very end and I gotta say it was pretty hit and miss with me.

I really liked the first campaign, and playing what's essentially Fire Emblem with Pokémon makes a great deal of sense actually. Everything from the Pokémon to the moves, abilities, warriors and so on feels well thought out, and most battlefields are really fun and dynamic, which result in interesting and diverse battles. The art is amazing; I love all the Pokémon sprites and art in the game, their style is so endearing and cool looking. The act of picking a warrior and finding out what's its perfect link Pokémon was is also very entertaining, and seeing both the Pokémon evolve and grow in power was very satisfying.

Unfortunately, the game has its downsides. There are way too many stories than there's any need to; it takes a lot of time to get through them all and the reward is almost negligible. Ironically though, my biggest gripe with the game is how short-lived the stories are. I spent the whole game wondering what would happen after I got a 100% link with a Pokémon, and I finished the last story without knowing. That's because the biggest link I had in the whole game was slightly below 80%. Just when you're getting invested in your team, the story ends; just when you finally get that warrior you wanted, the story ends; just when you upgrade that mine, the story ends. The stories and map are way too small for what the game is trying to do, and you end up finishing most stories in an in-game year, and that wouldn't even be that bad, but all the animations take forever! I'd say the problem is the game's too easy, but there were several times where I struggled to progress at all.

So yeah, it was fun the first time I played it, but I have no intention of replaying it anytime soon.

Reactions: SAF

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
I loved it - it's essentially the basics of Pokémon but with some extra strategy to add to the mix.

I've done almost all of the extra stories, just got the last one 'Two Heroes of Ransei' to finish. I never got a 100% link with a Poke but I do have some that are in the high 90s - it's difficult but if you stall the game out a bit, you can get better 'Harmony' items when the Travelling Merchant comes round which help to raise the link, plus battling helps too. I've recruited almost every warrior within the game and matched nearly all of those up with their 'Perfect Link' mons, just a case of getting their links up.

Some of the evolve methods are just brutal (Eevee's in particular) but it's worth it when you can get an awesome Poke out of the mix.

Reactions: SAF

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I only played the first 'story', and I see what you mean, I finished it and then it's what, I have to sort of start over? So I never did any of the others.

I was also never entirely happy with the battles. For me they fell in a bit of an awkward middle ground - they're not simple enough for me to fully focus on the larger strategy, but they're also a bit lacking in complexity and richness themselves mainly as each Pokemon only gets one move.

Still, despite its flaws it's a good game. I should get it out again.