Pokemon RBYG-SWSH Playthrough

Vistaboy97

Garold Oakingham
AKA
Garold Oakingham
What am I trying to do?
I am currently trying to obtain every pokemon game ranging from Red, Blue, Green and Yellow to Sword and Shield. Whilst attempting to obtain every game, I will be completing them all, completing the regional dex and attempting the national dex. I am not under any time limits and I will be taking as long as I need to achieve this. Every game I get must be a real cartridge, physical copy and I will be looking into getting the boxes for every game. Due to budget constraints, games ranging from R/G/B/Y to R/S/E/FR/LG will have after market boxes.

How I'm going to approach this?

The plan is to search ebay and facebook market place to find the remaining games I need. This is because I have found a lot of shops seem to overcharge for pokemon games due to the increase in popularity. Facebook and Ebay allow me to potentially get games a reasonable price. Some game I will have to pay a hefty price for because they're either hard to find elsewhere or the going rate is what it is.

I will be playing the games in any order I feel like playing them in. I won't be approaching the games in any particular way. I want to complete these games the same way I've always done and if I make mistakes, I don't mind going back and revisiting old areas. I will be taking advice on board, but for the most part, this playthrough will be a bit of fun for me to achieve something I feel could be interesting.

What games are you missing?
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Green
(Translated Cartridge)
Pokemon Yellow

Pokemon Gold
Pokemon Silver
Pokemon Crystal

Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon Sapphire

Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Fire Red
Pokemon Leaf Green

Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Platinum

Pokemon Heart Gold
Pokemon Soul Silver
Pokemon Black
Pokemon White

Pokemon Black 2
Pokemon White 2

Pokemon X
Pokemon Y
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Pokemon Sun
Pokemon Moon
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Pokemon Utra Moon

Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu
Pokemon Lets Go Eevee
Pokemon Sword
Pokemon Shield

About a week ago I didn't have that many pokemon games. I think I started my collection with Blue, GSC, Ruby, Fire Red, Platinum, XY/ORAS, Sun, Utra Moon, Eevee and SWSH. I went on ebay, won an auction for Sapphire, it cost me £20($27), I then got Red for £17.99($25), Yellow for £15($20), and Green for £5.99($8) as it is a reproduction. I won an auction for Platinum, Soul Silver, Black and White for £75($101), Moon and Utra Sun were £22($30) each, Let's Go Pikachu was then £20($27), and that's left me where I am now, nearly £200($270) short and an almost complete pokemon game collection.

The game I will be starting with is Pokemon Moon.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask, and if you think this is something you're interested in following, or have potential ways for me to showcase my progress, just let me know in a reply.

Last edited:

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
You've done well to get some of those for those prices!

If you're in the UK, I'd keep an eye out for smaller pawnbrokers and stuff. Cash Converters is selling White 2 for £40 and £60... Yeah that's more than the current one new.

Are you going to record / stream it as well? :D.

Vistaboy97

Garold Oakingham
AKA
Garold Oakingham
I think now is a good as time as any to give an update for where I'm at.

A couple hours after posting, I picked Rowlet for my starter and began my adventure into the Alola region. I have played this game in the past and I do not remember the tutorial being so long. I remember there being a lot of moments where they teach you things, but for a large portion of my starting to play, I spent a lot of time just spamming the A button. A lot of useless mechanics you're forced to use becuase the game wants to showcase the new features, features you're likely never going to pick up again.

I am very suspicous of Kukui. He likes to just walk into my mum's house without asking. He has a wife though, who seems fine with him wandering around shirtless. There's something nsfw going on in that relationship, but it is a children's game, I'll leave it to your imagination. All I'm saying is he seems eager for me to leave my mum alone for long periods of time.

After loudly cussing out Kukui for his innapropriate behaviour I started to train my Rowlet and, in the process, caught a Pikipek. He soon became a permanent member of my team. My pokedex stands at an abysmal 14% of the island caught and that's with both challenges done. I am able to leave the island at this point but I'm working on catching basic forms of a lot of pokemon, I can elvolve them when I reach some higher level encounters. The good news is, Rowlet evolved into Dartrix. Pipek has also evolved into Trumbeak. Trumbeak currently holds a sharp beak and Dartrix is holding the quick claw. Hopefully I meet the next permanent member of my party on the next island over.

Hau is an idiot.

You've done well to get some of those for those prices!

If you're in the UK, I'd keep an eye out for smaller pawnbrokers and stuff. Cash Converters is selling White 2 for £40 and £60... Yeah that's more than the current one new.

Are you going to record / stream it as well? :D.
Thank you! I am currently keeping a eye on CEX, I'll look into Cash Converters, but these last 5 games are proving to be the hardest to find. Someone wanted £55 for Pokemon HG, and that's cartridge only. I've seen ones with cases go for £75. I'm hoping I get lucky soon, and hoping I find the games for a more reasonable price.

I would love to record and stream, unfortunately my budget was blown on buying the games. If that changes down the line, I'll do an update but for now, it's text based updates. I'll attempt to photograph my screen, because nothing screams professional like a camera phone picture.

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
Yeah I've yet to see Heart Gold / Soul Silver any cheaper than £50. It's held its price ridiculously well. On the other hand, I've seen Diamond / Pearl / Platinum got for as low as £14, and Black / White for £20. HG/SS isn't always with the poke walker, either.

I got really lucky with my capture card - my ex found it on Facebook for £15,and they shipped it for £20. It had never been used, and although its 6/7 years old, it does a reasonable job at capturing and streaming Twitch. There's always Gumtree as well, you never know.

(always pay the extra for buyers protect via PayPal, it's definitely worth it!)

Vistaboy97

Garold Oakingham
AKA
Garold Oakingham
Update! I am currently sitting at the end of Island 3. Wasn't too difficult, made some really good progress on the pokedex. Kinda disappointed with how easy this game is so far. Trainers aren't too difficult, can even power through type advantage at most points. Salazzle is the third member of my party, but I'm going to continue to use 4 slots for evolving as my future toucanon and decidueye are honestly tanking.

In other news; I now own a 3DS with a capture card, I have a original ds with a capture card coming in the near future so GBA games can be recorded and posted onto this thread as updates.

Yeah I've yet to see Heart Gold / Soul Silver any cheaper than £50. It's held its price ridiculously well. On the other hand, I've seen Diamond / Pearl / Platinum got for as low as £14, and Black / White for £20. HG/SS isn't always with the poke walker, either.

I got really lucky with my capture card - my ex found it on Facebook for £15,and they shipped it for £20. It had never been used, and although its 6/7 years old, it does a reasonable job at capturing and streaming Twitch. There's always Gumtree as well, you never know.

(always pay the extra for buyers protect via PayPal, it's definitely worth it!)
Yeah, I think the plan is to get the boxes for the games I currently own, and then focus on the remaining games, if the price has stayed at £50, I'll pay £50. Potentially look into a pokewalker for the full experience. Especially with how much I walk at work, should work out pretty decent.

Updates should be coming every week, at least three times as i have three days off a week to work on these games.

If people are interested in me streaming the games, I will. If not, I'll just screen grab and record some battles and pokedex updates.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
The size of this undertaking is incredible. My hat's off to you! Shoutout to the Pokewalker--HeartGold was my first Pokemon game and remains my favorite to this day. Where do you work, to be able to walk so much?

I'm not about to argue that Moon is one of the best games in the series, but I'm in love with its graphics and visuals. Alola is a beautiful place.

Vistaboy97

Garold Oakingham
AKA
Garold Oakingham
The size of this undertaking is incredible. My hat's off to you! Shoutout to the Pokewalker--HeartGold was my first Pokemon game and remains my favorite to this day. Where do you work, to be able to walk so much?

I'm not about to argue that Moon is one of the best games in the series, but I'm in love with its graphics and visuals. Alola is a beautiful place.
Thanks mate! I've always wanted to do it, but I never had the time, money or energy. I'm actually really excited to undertake this challenge and playing through Moon has just pumped me up more. The fact I got a capture card for both the OG and the 3DS XL is just making me even more excited. I imagine there will be moments during this that will deflate me. Make me think I really don't want to continue, purely due to the repetition. I'll be playing each generation a minimum of twice, and up to 6 times for Kanto. Quite the challenge.

I currently work at a meat production factory. I'm a butcher by trade and depending on what job I do, or if I get a lift to work, I'm on my feet from 4pm to 7:30am. Ideal for the pokewalker right?

I agree, Alola is a beautiful region and I love the Pokemon designs. Just wish the story was a bit more captivating. Can't wait to see how many games get released between now and the eventual completion date. I do have to try and maintain an active social life, attend to two pets, have other hobbies, work, eat, sleep. Covid is quite a blessing in disguise as I'm able to use it as a scapegoat for not doing certain things, so I can set aside time for this challenge. And working nights means that if I have a week off I can either smash out a few games or complete the Pokedex on other games, as I think Pokedex completion times will vary between games. Even if I complete Moon tonight, I might not finish the Pokedex until Ruby is completed.

Funnily enough, comepleting the OG Pokemon Ruby and pokedex, using event roms and my copy of Sapphire was the main inspiration for this playthrough.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I was really confused by those times until you specified that you work nights. Yeah, I can see how that would be good for racking up steps. Funny you should mention Ruby, as I just completed my first-ever playthrough of that game (or any Gen III game, for that matter) about a month ago. It was nice! I'm glad I had the chance to experience OG Hoenn.

Good luck! You'll be able to call yourself a true Pokemon Master by the end of this.

Vistaboy97

Garold Oakingham
AKA
Garold Oakingham
I'm at the champion on Pokemon Moon. My team is very lackluster so I did lose my first attempt. My Pokedex is about a third of the way complete. My capture card arrived and it works a charm, can't wait to show you all screenshots, for now, here's something extremely unsettling.

I am starting up pokemon x to give me a short break and breather from Moon.

Attachments

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Ready for Machamp to yeet you off the edge of the cliff, eh?

• Hahah
Reactions: SAF

Vistaboy97

Garold Oakingham
AKA
Garold Oakingham
Honestly, found the way he holds you so funny, so I thought I'd share it with the world!

Small update. Life has gotten in the way slightly but I'm determined to continue. I'm now down to three pokemon games needed to complete my collection, and I now have pokemon Ruby, Fire Red and Leaf Green boxed. I'm just about to start X and will likely pick Sobble as my starter.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
You're, uh...going to start X and pick Sobble?