Sword/Shield Spoiler Pokémon Sword and Shield - Leaks and Speculation Thread

Godot

Coffee Drinkin' College Student
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Connor
Time Zone
Central Time
Sobble evokes a Water/Ghost or Water/Poison vibe, given that it's a lizard with camoflage. But I'm hoping it's Water/Dragon, because we are long over due for a dragon starter and with Fairy and Ice types existing Dragon isn't as overpowered as it once was. Especially because the Fairy type is incredibly easy to find (at least in gens 6 & 7).

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Sobble evokes a Water/Ghost or Water/Poison vibe, given that it's a lizard with camoflage. But I'm hoping it's Water/Dragon, because we are long over due for a dragon starter and with Fairy and Ice types existing Dragon isn't as overpowered as it once was. Especially because the Fairy type is incredibly easy to find (at least in gens 6 & 7).
i think it would be cool as a water/ghost or a water/dragon, i really hope one of those two is right >.>

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
They say Sobble is a lizard but it looks like an amphibian to me. :/

Maybe it's a crested lizard?

Last edited:

Bunnie

litle creacher
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
i think it's a Chameleon, cause of the shape of its hands and its tail

edit: also cause of the part in the video when he blends in with the background

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I thought mix of an axolotl and chameleon when I first saw it, so Water/Ghost makes the most sense to me personally.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Ok here's a new one. I know I'm being silly, but wouldn't it be great if one of the challenges before a Gym or a minigame was related to football?
The trailer had a lot of emphasis on cheering crowds and stadiums, and based on the map it looks like most of the gyms will be in stadiums, so I would be really surprised if there wasn't some tie-in to football/soccer.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
Ok here's a new one. I know I'm being silly, but wouldn't it be great if one of the challenges before a Gym or a minigame was related to football?
The trailer had a lot of emphasis on cheering crowds and stadiums, and based on the map it looks like most of the gyms will be in stadiums, so I would be really surprised if there wasn't some tie-in to football/soccer.
Ohh great! I admit I haven't watched the trailer, but I did see the stadium things. You're right, there's probably something related to football. I guess what I meant is more so of an implementation of a football game mechanic rather than just a reference. If this is the case then good for game freak! 😁

Giron

Literal Rant
AKA
Brandon
Time Zone
AEST (GMT/UTC +10)
3DS FC
3840-6760-9669
Sobble's a chameleon, since its Japanese name is Messon: a combination of Mesomeso (sobbing) and chameleon. Just the same, its French name basically translates to Tear Chameleon.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
I am loving Scorbunny because rabbits are gr8.

Sobble is a cutie too. I'm not a fan of Grookey though. :c

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
This is a very minor thing but something that would really make the game for me. Although I would miss gym puzzles, I'd really like the feeling of battling in front of a large crowd of spectators. No other Pokemon game has quite managed to capture feeling of battling on top of Realgam Tower.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
all three starters are absolutely precious to me. I feel very very hesitant to pick a favorite right now because there are SO many possibilities with their evolutions and I could see them all evolving into something I love or really don't love. that said i am not creating any expectations.. am not big on speculation. they could really turn into anything and im content to just wait and see!

also the female protag is a super cutie too!!!!! and the region looks so cozy!! everything about this region is so aesthetically pleasing to me so far lol, even if im still a bit sick of 3D graphics.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
all three starters are absolutely precious to me. I feel very very hesitant to pick a favorite right now because there are SO many possibilities with their evolutions and I could see them all evolving into something I love or really don't love. that said i am not creating any expectations.. am not big on speculation. they could really turn into anything and im content to just wait and see!

also the female protag is a super cutie too!!!!! and the region looks so cozy!! everything about this region is so aesthetically pleasing to me so far lol, even if im still a bit sick of 3D graphics.
I agree, I just can't choose right now since they're all so cute!

I'm so pumped about how pretty it all is. When ORAS came out I thought it was pretty and I'm still wowed every time by the art.

TheParentLeavanny

Beginner Trainer
I'm not even sure about whether or not all Pokémon Generation VII video games Pokémon Sun, Moon, UltraSun and UltraMoon will be able to be transported to Generation VIII video games Pokémon Sword and Shield with using Pokémon Bank? This is because Nintendo Switch isn't actually backwards compatibility with any video games for all Nintendo's previous video game consoles, like Nintendo 3DS? But I didn't actually think so. Did you?

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I'm not even sure about whether or not all Pokémon Generation VII video games Pokémon Sun, Moon, UltraSun and UltraMoon will be able to be transported to Generation VIII video games Pokémon Sword and Shield with using Pokémon Bank? This is because Nintendo Switch isn't actually backwards compatibility with any video games for all Nintendo's previous video game consoles, like Nintendo 3DS? But I didn't actually think so. Did you?
My guess is that transferring Pokemon woild be done through Pokemon Bank like it was for gens 6 and 7. You wouldn't need to connect the consoles directly, just connect to the cloud and dump them into the new games.

Wren

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
My guess is that transferring Pokemon woild be done through Pokemon Bank like it was for gens 6 and 7. You wouldn't need to connect the consoles directly, just connect to the cloud and dump them into the new games.
Is Pokebank accessible on the Switch?

Hey what if... Now hear me out... What if Scorbunny is actually the Water-type starter? Everyone keeps saying it's gonna be another Fire/Fighting starter, but what if it was literally a firefighting starter? As in a pokemon that rescues people and pokemon from burning buildings and puts out flames with water?

Kyogre386

Regular Trainer
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
UTC-05:00
They'll likely just make a Switch port of Bank to go with the releases, although we'll likely have a short period after release where the games are isolated and there is no Bank, as always.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I'd be surprised if they didn't have Pokemon Bank in place for the Gen 8 games. Like, it's been in place for awhile now for the previous generations and people basically have all their Pokemon on it. GameFreak would made a lot of people angry if they didn't allow people to use it with the new games.