Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I'd be surprised if they didn't have Pokemon Bank in place for the Gen 8 games. Like, it's been in place for awhile now for the previous generations and people basically have all their Pokemon on it. GameFreak would made a lot of people angry if they didn't allow people to use it with the new games.
Not to mention, people are paying for subscriptions to it. Making a port to the Switch with an update for Gen 8 compatibility is almost a given.

Apparently though, it uses your SD card as a primary method of storage and just uses cloud backups? So that might need to be changed since now instead of having it only work on one console (because of NNID) it'd be used on multiple devices and be linked to a Nintendo account. I imagine that'd still be pretty easy to implement, though.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i lost it at invisobble lol

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
bf sent me these ;o

These people sound a bit too sure of themselves for these to be merely predictions. If this is all coming from someone who is working on the games, that's definitely not gonna fly with Nintendo.
From what I understand, the user is anonymous and is claiming to have inside information so it's not just prediction. There are tons of these "leaks" floating around though, so my general policy is that everything is fake until proven otherwise.

That being said I'd love for the things in this leak to be true, but unfortunately I don't think any of it is :(

Reactions: SAF

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
As always, you have be wary of leaks. While there is a lot of stuff both amazing and boring that can potentially sound true, you can't really be sure. Some people put a lot of time into leaks like The Grinch leak for Smash Bros.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I mean, in general I take any rumours posted on 4chan with a grain of salt, tbh. Easy enough to post fake info that sounds real enough.

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
I've been having a few slow days at work this week so I've had a lot of time to think about these games :p

Here's my personal speculation (I've done it in spoiler tags purely because there's a fair amount of writing here):

Grookey - aka 'Groovy Monkey'. I can see a few previous Grass-type Pokes in Grookey's appearance (Turtwig, Sewaddle, Rowlet) and for some odd reason the ears remind me of Cleffa. In terms of evolutions, I'm expecting some more musical terms in the names, but also I do like the idea that the final evolution would turn out to be a drumming gorilla, if only for being reminded of this advert from a while back (2007 apparently): Cadbury gorilla advert
Grass/Rock and Grass/Steel both fit to me, but whilst I'd prefer Grass/Steel, I think it may well end up either Grass/Rock or even Grass/Ground (it could be using the stick as a way to feel vibrations through the ground or floor, I have heard of dancers with partial or full deafness being able to 'hear' the music through these vibrations). I can envisage this line doing well with Sound-based moves, and perhaps an Ability either along those lines (so boosting the power of Sound-based moves) or possibly more towards the stick side with maybe one that raises stats when using moves that affect the ground?

Scorbunny - its design reminds me of Torchic quite a bit actually. now whilst the 'Scor' part of its name could well be for 'Scorching', I'm going to take a punt and say that it's actually for 'Score' and the Scorbunny line will be football-themed. Following this line, the Fire/Electric premise seems a very plausible one - hear me out. The way I see it, the final evolution will be bipedal and designed to resemble a striker (plus one type of strike is a lightning strike, hence the Electric typing. It's tenuous I know, but it does make sense considering how powerful Electric-type attacks can be and the Pokes using them tend to be fast too, like lightning fast). Strikers are usually pretty agile and able to score with both their feet and their head, hence the yellow (Electric) tape close to Scorbunny's forehead. The final evolution I can also see having something that resembles 'studs' (like on football boots) on their feet. Perhaps a hare will be the animal inspiration here. Ability-wise, something like Iron Fist and Strong Jaw, but for kicking moves. The other route I can imagine for this line is that of a goalkeeper (maybe more of a middle evolution option) with the hands looking like they have gloves on, and an Ability similar to Magic Bounce?

Sobble is the intriguing one for me. Its name in some languages has the translation of being the Tear Pokémon, which makes me think of Cubchoo. They could potentially follow that and have it become Water/Ice (which would make sense if we also had Grass/Ground and Fire/Electric), but I'm not too sure there. Its design somewhat reminds me of Dewpider (with the 'bubble') and also Tympole too. I've seen some speculation that Sobble could become Water/Dragon via the Loch Ness Monster route, although I personally think Game Freak will save that idea for another Pokémon. Mostly though, Water/Ghost has been getting the love. It would probably be the most interesting route to take, but I honestly cannot come up with a final evolution based off of that that would make sense given the region (one idea was that Sobble will follow a theatre-style line, you know like with the 2 masks, one happy and one sad? That would be awesome but I can't imagine a design concept to go with that). In terms of an Ability, Protean would make sense if they go for an 'emotional' theme.

A flipped and rearranged Great Britain (I can't say UK as it doesn't seem at first glance to feature Northern Ireland, although I do feel that there is a part of the map covered with fog that could potentially represent NI). Trains look to be integral for getting from one portion of the map to another, at least to begin with (more on this in the final section). I can spot quite a few influences from real-life UK: London (big city at the top, Big Ben and the Eye are there, plus a Shard-like building right in the middle, enough said), the Cerne Abbas Giant (the sticklike figure on the hill), Stonehenge (town with a bunch of big rocks. Also, is it just me or was that sort of already done in Kalos with Geosenge? Even the name hints at it. Kalos post-game confirmed? :p ), Manchester (steampunk-style city) and the Lake District (3 large lakes in the middle portion of the map).

Some online speculation has Loch Ness as being the small lake near to what looks to be the Professor's Lab at the bottom of the map, and the rural farmland around that area being inspired by Kent. I'm uncertain on the Kent part as I've never been there so can't really comment, but I don't know with Loch Ness, I get the feeling that something like that would be further on in the game (but then again, Mesprit……). The fortress-like town has the main tower that was probably inspired by the Tower of London (where the Crown Jewels are supposedly kept), there's also a church-style building in the back right and a smaller tower topped with a golden dragon on the left (with a Poke Ball court outside). Two things catch my eye here though: firstly, what that long red building might be on the main road, and secondly, that there only seems to be one main route through the town even though there is a cave entrance right behind the crown tower (the dragon head at the front could be an entrance to the 'lakes' portion, so entering via the mouth, but I'd wager that that might be a later-in-the-game thing if it does turn out to be a thing at all).

The steampunk city has a lot of entrances and exits, so I'd say that this will be the unofficial 'hub' city of Galar. I reckon there's a lot going on that we can't see from the head-on view.....

I know that some think the Grass-type Gym actually has a feather emblem and so is Flying, but we saw that with Kahili in the Alola E4 and the colouring is more of a mint green there. There's one route into the town and one out, and that green house on the road looks more like a mansion. A battling facility maybe?

That multicoloured mural by the Rock-type Gym (I'm going with Rock as the spears outside are quite dark and I believe Ground would be lighter brown) and the Dugtrio wall has some gears and a shield on it, plus a small entrance underneath. Legendary Pokémon spot perhaps, but I'd expect a sword to be on that mural as well and I can't see it there.

I think we might have a few cameos here. Wikstrom from Kalos' Elite 4 (much like Grimsley in Gen 7) makes sense what with the armour, and for some reason Caitlin from Unova's Elite 4 springs to mind, perhaps because of her initial appearance as the leader of the Battle Castle in Platinum's Battle Frontier. Looker is probably a given, and I wonder if a Pikachu might show up with him as a nod to the Detective Pikachu spin-off?

I feel like the storyline might be centred around class and the 'North/South Divide' that we unofficially have here, that or a tradition vs modern spin. One team name that came to mind was Coronet, but that seems unlikely given the Mt of that name from Sinnoh. I do like the 'Wars of the Roses' suggestion for the evil team or teams, and the theory that you have a Rich Boy for a rival.

As for the Gyms and their Leaders, this is my take (as the names of the Leaders do like to reflect the type of the Gym):
Grass - possible Leader names are Erin/Emerald for a female leader, Patrick (all of those 3 representing Ireland) or for a little joke, Russell (an old joke here goes 'What do you call a man with a bag of leaves on his head? Russell')
Water - female Leader named Vanessa (Loch Ness Monster connection)
Poison/Fairy (Mushroom forest area) - I'm leaning more towards a Poison type Gym, as the spears look more purple than pink to me. I'm struggling for names here, but Bella for if the Gym was a Fairy type.
Fire/Steel (steampunk city) - seeing as the city is based on Manchester, if we don't have a male Leader called Chester then something has been missed :p
Rock - male Leader named Winston (as in stone)
Dragon (dragon head city) - I think we may have a Wales link, so David or Diana (for Diana, Princess of Wales) makes sense. Could also be George (the tale of George and the Dragon) or possibly even Draco (means Dragon in Latin, and as another user mentioned, the school uniform of the trainer that you see in the trailer does look a bit like a Hogwarts uniform)
Steel/Dark (ice city) - I reckon this is our first ever Dark Gym. As a possible Leader, maybe a male called Patrick (emphasising the 'trick' part of his name) or a female called Selena.

I also think there's potentially a Gym that we're not seeing at the moment - the red Gym in 'London' I actually reckon is the entrance to the Pokémon League, and what I can envisage is having the Victory Road resemble the London Underground (I did say earlier that I thought trains would be integral to the region) with the last stop and exit being the bottom of the 'Shard' building, which I can see the Elite 4 and Champion being based in.

As for the Elite 4, I can see either a Normal or Electric user called Eleanor (or an Electric user called Charlotte, an Ice user called Maurice, a Bug user called Alice, and potentially a Psychic user called Simon. Poison or Fairy could feature here, perhaps Fire if the steampunk city Gym is Steel. Ghost is used as an E4 typing a lot and has just gone (as have Flying and Steel) so I doubt it will crop up now. Fighting and Ground are also considerations, just the 4 (well technically 5) that I initially mentioned were the first ones that came to mind).

These are just my initial thoughts (well more like ramblings really), and I'm sure that I'll be completely wrong on a lot of it, but if even any of this is right then I'll feel a sense of achievement :D

Last edited:

Sylveonn

Beginner Trainer
AKA
Emily
Switch FC
SW-5650-2285-5327
Sobble is precious, but I will probably end up picking Scorbunny because a) I LOVE BUNNIES! and b) I have almost always gone with the fire starters when doing a first play through of Poke games.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Given that Nintendo has been absolutely silent on this ever since the initial reveal, the general consensus now is that they're waiting until E3 to give us more. So, what kind of things do you think we'll get? First off, I think we're due to meet a couple of characters. A couple Gym Leaders, maybe the rival (friendly or serious, if there's more than one?) or the regional professor. I think we'll meet a couple new early Pokemon, and perhaps we'll get some combination of names, appearance, and/or typing for the mascot legendaries. Honestly, I'm not sure we'll get any new information on the starters yet. If I were them I'd keep milking that hype for as long as I could.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
Perhaps this is just me, but I'm unsure if we're going to get a big segment dedicated towards SwSh even at E3.

Keep in mind that Nintendo has their own first-party titles to promote, too, alongside indies titles. I'm not sure how much of a timeslot is going to be dedicated to SwSh with all of that on their plate. Perhaps we'll get to see a bit more than we have seen before; at the very least I'm hoping for second stage starter evos and a bit more information on Galar (and a few extra Pokemon reveals), but that's the bare minimum I'm expecting.

We'll see~

Feather32

Junior Trainer
I'm glad they announced Pokemon Home, though we figured that something was coming. I'm hoping we'll get a bit of story information, but it is hard to say. I only catch E3 stuff up on YT as we don't have cable.

Thundawave

♔ Deja Vu ♔
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
IGN
Regine
Anyone got new speculations now that we have another trailer?

• I don’t think Marnie necessarily likes or cares about Team Yell judging by her expressions.
  • Team Yell is probably not the super evil team here. They just seem to, uh, make noise.
  • Going back to the previous trailer, Oleana’s art makes her seem kinda shady to me. Actually, the whole Rose big business stuff seems shady. And honestly, a truly evil team having influence over the Pokémon League would be kinda cool. :nanihmmazurill:

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I like the recent leaks. I'd be happy if they are real.

Feather32

Junior Trainer
So apparently the Pokedex has leaked, and it says it is has 400 Pokemon in it. Apparently somebody did the math and apparently this means about 450 old Pokemon have been cut! I think somebody said there are about 80(?) new Pokemon. Considering this Gen added no more then previous Gen 7 I find it appaling that so many previous Pokemon were cut. I'm glad of my decision to sit these games out. Having the same number of Regional Dex Pokemon as US/UM and cutting so many out is just not worth the $60 price tag.