Pokemon that look better as Sprites vs their 3DS Models

Sebastian

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
cameronfedora
I personally think some pokemon look very poor as 3D models, especially with small pokemon. Often small pokemon look too tiny to appreciate their designs at all. Do you feel this way about certain pokemon? Here are some examples:

Pidgey

The model is a lot more difficult to read - the feet look horrible and the front feathers are a bunch of lines. On the other hand the sprite is bright, pleasing, and clear. The 3D model has muted colors.

Here, Swellow looks much better as a sprite - the perspective on the model does not show off the beauty of its wings. I guess they did this for the flying battles, but I wish they hadn't.

What do you think? Are there pokemon that you think actually benefit from the change in style?

Sincerely,
A Sprite Lover

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
All of them.

Flareon's tail looks soft and fluffy on the sprites, 10/10 would want to bury my face in it. The sprites on the other hand have this spiky tail which just makes Flareon look ANGERY instead of cute and I do not approve. Also the red looks way better than the orange, but that is more so a problem of Gamefreak refusing to make up their mind, considering Flareon was orange in FRLG as well.

Sprite Gastly looks cute, yet mischievous. The 3D model is a mess with muted colors which made it lose all of its charm. While I do know that the eyes sticking out of the actual body is part of the design, it didn't look nearly as weird on the sprites as it does on the 3D models.

I also included the shiny sprite for this one because I think it is a CRIME what they did here. I hatched like 300+ eggs for a shiny Gastly because I always loved how vibrant and pretty the light blue looked. Now look at that ugly muddy/dull blue color on 3D Shiny Gastly. It made me want to chuck my 3DS out of the window.

While Marshtomp has always suffered from the 'awkward middle stage' syndrome, at least the sprite is somewhat cute in a derpy way. The 3D model on the other hand looks horrifying and makes me never want to use the Mudkip line again. (Also again with the muted colors)

Oh Ponyta, how they have done you dirty. You used to be so adorable yet elegant, now you've turned into a stiff looking stature with teeny tiny eyes which don't do you justice at all. Very sad. (Same arguments apply for Rapidash as well)

I feel like this one is infamous for having a weird - or at least unexpected 3D model. I won't say it doesn't make more sense, but after being used to the gen 5 position, I actually had trouble recognizing this Pokemon when I first saw its 3D model.

WHERE IS THE COLOR??? Clefable looks as if someone just sucked all the life out of her. Once again, the face is very difficult to distinguish as well and it just doesn't look as clean as the sprite version.

Sebastian

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
cameronfedora
Wow, the difference between the Gastlys is horrifying. The sprite form is obviously way better. It's so sad how so many of the Pokémon turned suddenly pale. I hope that the 3D models are updated for the switch version... the colors really need work.

robochicken77

Shiny Hunter
AKA
Robo
Time Zone
CST
I'm gonna be honest, I agree with you guys for the most part that the 2d sprites are better, but I feel pidgey looks better in 3d.

Reactions: Zed

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Most of the 3D models at least look okay when set in the rest of the game, even if they don't look as nice on a plain background, but there's one in particular which I can think of that's just ouch.

The animation is funny an' all, but the perspective leaves a bit to be desired.

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
I agree that a lot of Pokemon looked better as sprites. The few that come to mind are:

Excadrill
vs

I don't see many people mention Excadrill but I always felt like it really got screwed by transition to 3D. First of all the colors, look how vibrant that sprite is! Also the 3D Exadrill looks a lot less bulky and cool compared to it's badass sprite counterpart. You can't see it here but Excadrill also looks a lot smaller and less intimidating in 3D.

Noctowl

vs

Noctowl may not be a very popular Pokemon but I always had a soft spot for it so it pains me to see how pathetic it looks in 3D. It looks like it can barely keep itself in the air. It also looks like it doesn't have a neck now. If they couldn't make it look cool then they should have kept him on the ground like the sprite version. Now it's just a big awkward flapping mess.

There are a lot more similar examples but I wanted to mention these two because I don't see them mentioned as often as Swellow for example.

Sebastian

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
cameronfedora
I'm gonna be honest, I agree with you guys for the most part that the 2d sprites are better, but I feel pidgey looks better in 3d.
To each their own - it doesn't look as bad as some of the models.
Most of the 3D models at least look okay when set in the rest of the game, even if they don't look as nice on a plain background, but there's one in particular which I can think of that's just ouch.

The animation is funny an' all, but the perspective leaves a bit to be desired.
I think the animation led to Magikarp Jump, so I kind of appreciate it. But, again with the washed-out colors!
I agree that a lot of Pokemon looked better as sprites. The few that come to mind are:

Excadrill
vs

I don't see many people mention Excadrill but I always felt like it really got screwed by transition to 3D. First of all the colors, look how vibrant that sprite is! Also the 3D Exadrill looks a lot less bulky and cool compared to it's badass sprite counterpart. You can't see it here but Excadrill also looks a lot smaller and less intimidating in 3D.
You're right, I never noticed that they slimmed him down (uhoh, its the pikachu treatment all over again!). He definitely lost a lot of his coolness factor.

Noctowl

vs

Noctowl may not be a very popular Pokemon but I always had a soft spot for it so it pains me to see how pathetic it looks in 3D. It looks like it can barely keep itself in the air. It also looks like it doesn't have a neck now. If they couldn't make it look cool then they should have kept him on the ground like the sprite version. Now it's just a big awkward flapping mess.

There are a lot more similar examples but I wanted to mention these two because I don't see them mentioned as often as Swellow for example.
I don't see the 3D version as pathetic. I like the flying animation, because at least you can see its design (unlike for Swellow). However, I agree that the sprite makes him seem more intimidating - I like how his head is cocked to the side with curiosity. I also have a soft spot for Noctowl!

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I feel like the 3D sprites will get better with time, heck they already have. I imagine with more power from the switch in main series games they'll become more vibrant and perspective will be better.

Though I agree Swellow got screwed, I love that line so much and was sad it felt kinda flat.