• Poll closed .

Bonkenhi

you know how crows hop around?
Staff Emeritus
AKA
George
Time Zone
GMT
Going with Cyndaquil and Rowlet. Rowlet because they actually figured out how to make a grass type starter MAGNIFICENT and it just rolls around and... come on.

Cyndaquil is just a pretty awesome fire type that stays true to itself and doesn't feel like it needs to take up martial arts to compensate for its bad design. (okay, maybe a bit harsh on some of the fire types but still...)

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
Normally I'd go for Cyndaquil and Charmander. Cyndaquil because it was my first Pokémon on Heart Gold and it's cute and the evolution strong (check out my comment on the Azurilland's top Fives though I can look for that myself and post it here) and Charmander because it's Charmander. Cool fire-breathing almost dragon. But Venusaur has grown on me lately due to competitive, so that's my second choice now.
Edit: added and revised my comment from the top fives
The Cyndaquil line was the starter I chose on the game I have played the most, so I'm familiar with it. But my appreciation for this line goes beyond that. It's easy to see, from their design, that the line is strong. Cyndaquil starts as a rodent who can control when flames come from its back, unlike other Pokémon who can't control this ability. It's also strong and can hold its own during the game. Quilava is still cute, but looks stronger. I really enjoyed Typhlosion being able to stand on its hind legs, but I can totally imagine it as a bear, having the ability to stand either on four legs or two. It would growl and act similarly to a bear and yet still being gentle and soft when it needs to be.

Last edited:

Mirage

Pokemon Master
AKA
Drake, Mirage, Izzy
Time Zone
(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Hands down it's Mudkip. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong I tell you! Wrong!

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
I like fire and I like chickens, therefore Torchic/Blaziken were cool before Blaziken became Uber.

I don't think there are any starters I don't like, though, even the less popular ones like Tepig and all of the Gen 6 ones.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
Litten is the best

Zedark

Sloooooooowbroooooooo
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
GMT
I find it hard to choose between the gen 2 starters. Maybe Chikorita for first forms then Totodile for awesome last forms.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
Honestly it's probably Grookey at this point. I love monkeys too much.

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
Well, I tend to lean towards Mudkip. Great typing when it evolves, middle stage is derpy and I love it, and Swampert is a beast and gets anchor arms when it goes Mega.

Last edited:

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
Glad it's two. Fennekin and Popplio. Fennekin because I love foxes, and it's just so kawaii. Popplio is weird, because I disliked it from the moment the starters were announced, but picked it because I knew every time my least favourite stage 1 became my favourite stage 3. And then over time, it grew on me. This song helped. Then I accidentally deleted my save of Sun, and decided to do a nuzlocke to make replaying more interesting. RNG gave me Popplio again, and it was awesome. (Until it died. ;_;) And now it's just kinda up there with my favourites somehow. I even have a plush Popplio next tomy bednow.

Umuchan

Praetor
AKA
Jessica
In terms of starters, it's rather interesting.

For the first stage, I'd have to say Snivy. It has quite a bit of personality and I like how regal it becomes once evolved. However, I adore Primarina since it's so gorgeous and I like how its based on a mermaid, despite me not caring much for Popplio initially. In fact, Primarina is one of my personal favorites. Still, I'd go with Snivy for the consistency. So sorry, my queen!

Window Stranger

You've Stalked The Stranger
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Alice
Time Zone
Mountain Time
Squirtle and Rowlet. Probably because I love turtles and owls.

As far as the first gen goes, I use to favor Bulbasaur especially when seeing his protective side for other pokemon in the anime (Ash's Bulbasaur) but now its sorta changed. Squirtle just seems cuter and I loved the Squirtle Squad. The turtle started to become my new favorite starter to pick.

Rowlet is pretty freaking adorable <3 I was very happy for this poke addition as Noctowl just did not satisfy. x3

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
Bulbasaur will forever be my favourite starter. ♥

It's such a shame it hasn't seen much love in this poll, though. :c

God

a Mess
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
EST
Tie between Charmander, Totodile, Treecko and Litten. I love all four of these designs to absolute death, but if I had to choose one, it'd without a doubt be Totodile. Charmander second tho. <3 Favorite first evo would be Grovyle and fave final is Charizard obviously (see: username).

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Piplup is the cutest. Second place is cyndaquil. I always had a soft spot for that little guy

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Top two would probably be Fennekin and Litten, but other notable favorites are Charmander, Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Chikorita, Treecko, Piplup, Snivy, and Rowlet.

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
My favorites include Totodile, Oshawott, Chimchar, And Piplup. I don’t dislike most of them, but Water happens to be a type a like a lot and the Water starters are all cool or cool + adorable. My love for Oshawott actually comes from the anime, one of the shining spots in an otherwise terrible region show-wise.