Drawing Primal's Doodle Emporium

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
At the behest of a couple of friends, I decided to make an art thread for the occasional doodle/request I happen to feel is worth posting!
Nuzlocke Cel Shading Practice.png

Clefairypractice.png

OldschoolM2.png
HK doodle.png

Newty Boi.png

Dino Jr Sticker Signed.png

gylfie

rawr
Hey nice! I really dig the double light source/reflected light you’ve got going in a lot of these. Really shows off your volumes nicely!

reminds me that I should pay more attention to lighting in my drawings :P

oh yeah! Occasionally I host drawpile sessions so if you’d be interested in joining sometime, check this thread out, or if you’ve joined the Marriland discord, just grab the drawpile role :)

Last edited:

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
You've got a great style and you did Drowzee justice.

I'm not sure who those lizard guys are at the bottom, but I like your art of them so nice.
Thanks! I do my best, and I appreciate the kind words (I just have a long ways to go haha) The little lizard dudes are a couple of OC's/Mascot-type deals

Hey nice! I really dig the double light source/reflected light you’ve got going in a lot of these. Really shows off your volumes nicely!

reminds me that I should pay more attention to lighting in my drawings :P

oh yeah! Occasionally I host drawpile sessions so if you’d be interested in joining sometime, check this thread out, or if you’ve joined the Marriland discord, just grab the drawpile role :)
Ayyy high praise from such a skilled artist, I'll do my best to live up to it! I might end up hopping into a drawpile session, who knows?

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
I live, and I bring more doodles!
Miltank w notes.png

Little peek into how I figure out how to draw Pokemon, or anything for that matter, by breaking them down into basic shapes and forms then visualizing how those shapes morph as you view them from different angles (the notes are optional)
Screenshot 2020-10-12 011912.png

Christmas gift for a friend, still tweaking the composition and perspective but the poses I went with seem solid enough

Screenshot 2020-10-12 013845.png

Some character concepts

Screenshot 2020-10-12 012533.png

A bit of 'professional' work I did, was commissioned a little while back to design a mascot character for a small printing service. I was asked to make it Neopets-esque and I had a lot of fun with him!
Screenshot 2020-10-12 161214.png

Resized to fit within the file size limits, but this is a t-shirt design I did for our local TCG team for when they went to Nationals. I was asked to make it kind of 90's ish by the store owner so I focused on giving it a heavily-inked, slightly grungey feel (the inking hasn't held up too well, yuck)

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
Just gonna drop something here real quick, promise the next post will contain something more substantial (aka something finished)

Trying to do motion lines/action lines better

Gokudera

Vocalist
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Devin
These are fantastic! I love the Miltank. It's super cute.
And you never have to apologize for an Animal Farm reference. At least not with me. I always appreciate puns :mrgreenazurill:
That Salazzle is amazing!! It's so well drawn and you capture it's dominant attitude perfectly! :hearteyesazurill:

AndyBananny

Beginner Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Great stuff. I have a request if you’re up for it.

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
These are fantastic! I love the Miltank. It's super cute.
And you never have to apologize for an Animal Farm reference. At least not with me. I always appreciate puns :mrgreenazurill:
That Salazzle is amazing!! It's so well drawn and you capture it's dominant attitude perfectly! :hearteyesazurill:
Thanks! Salazzle is one of my favorite pokemon so I'm glad I was able to do it justice!

Great stuff. I have a request if you’re up for it.
PM me your idea and I'll see if I can add it to my queue

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
Hoo boy, got busy there for a while. Here's some stuff I got to work on while I was gone:

1603514305844.png

A Halloween piece I'm cleaning up so I can ink and color it!

1603514257320.png

Found a way to do colored sketches that I like!

1603514433420.png

Yet more progress on inking this, it's slow but I'm getting there!

1603514642328.png

1603514579533.png

And finally some demonstrations I did to help show how I handle drawing expressions on characters

Last edited:

gylfie

rawr
I get an icon of a picture with a red X on it. I see the same thing if I try to click on it too :(

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
I get an icon of a picture with a red X on it. I see the same thing if I try to click on it too :(
Think I got it fixed now, unfortunately it means that the image from url feature just doesn't seem to like me, so big oof there

gylfie

rawr
yay i can see them now :3c

grumpy mew is a whole mood. i am in awe at your uhhh. i dunno, willingness to throw on some colours and shading here and there? idk most of the time i manage flats on a sketch and maybe some post processing before i get sick of it and toss it out to the void on the internet LOL. also adding construction lines for really solid drawings n volumes. i throw in a circle with crosshairs for the head and then just...go. where do you get the patience??

OH YEAH also i dig the lil hatched lines you put on the uhhhh whats the word.......terminal?? the part where the shadow is darkest. i like the hatched lines there. adds a nice texture and volume to it.

were you giving a masterclass on drawing? :0

Last edited: