Drawing Primal's Doodle Emporium

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
yay i can see them now :3c

grumpy mew is a whole mood. i am in awe at your uhhh. i dunno, willingness to throw on some colours and shading here and there? idk most of the time i manage flats on a sketch and maybe some post processing before i get sick of it and toss it out to the void on the internet LOL. also adding construction lines for really solid drawings n volumes. i throw in a circle with crosshairs for the head and then just...go. where do you get the patience??

OH YEAH also i dig the lil hatched lines you put on the uhhhh whats the word.......terminal?? the part where the shadow is darkest. i like the hatched lines there. adds a nice texture and volume to it.

were you giving a masterclass on drawing? :0
Hardly a master of anything, but the secret to conveying volume is to make it a habit to add value to even simple sketches as it helps you visualize the subject in a 3d space, making things like perspective, foreshortening etc. easier and giving even the simplest of doodles more life, thank you for the kind words as always.
The demonstrations I did were for a couple of beginner artist friends of mine that wanted to know how I did my 'sort of Didney but not' style expressions.
If you want the 'secret' to my colored sketches, just turn your sketch layer to shade/shine mode and add color underneath.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
you've got some nerve apologizing for being busy after a one week absence while I'm lucky if I update my fanfic once a month

Great stuff, dude! I agree with what Megan was saying; I like how we're able to see the progression or whatever you want to call it of your sketches, due to all the shading and construction lines. I've seen the successive inkings of the Phantump and Hatenna in the Discord so I can't wait for the finished product!

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
you've got some nerve apologizing for being busy after a one week absence while I'm lucky if I update my fanfic once a month

Great stuff, dude! I agree with what Megan was saying; I like how we're able to see the progression or whatever you want to call it of your sketches, due to all the shading and construction lines. I've seen the successive inkings of the Phantump and Hatenna in the Discord so I can't wait for the finished product!
Thanks a lot actually. Truth be told I've been on a major time crunch lately and knowing people actually enjoy my stuff has made it a lot easier to dedicate time each day to progressing on something (I draw every single day no matter what, it helps me keep my skills fresh) and makes me pour as much of my passion as I can into everything.

1604113888369.png

1604113941669.png

1604114037231.png

1604114158699.png

1604114517904.png

I've been doing a crash course on drawing theropods, it's been a bit of a struggle learning how to properly convey their size and weight (not to mention those ungodly legs) but I had a lot of fun (the top two actually kind of give me nostalgia for a project I storyboarded for a friend)

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Any particular reason you want to learn to draw theropods? And when can we expect to see Tyrantrum :tyrantrum: ?

PrimalIvysaur

Rookie Trainer
Any particular reason you want to learn to draw theropods? And when can we expect to see Tyrantrum :tyrantrum: ?
I'm a huge dinosaur nut, and you can expect to see Tyrantrum soon once I get the hang of drawing them a bit more. As for why I started, I recently found a show called Primal by Genndy Tartakovsky (the guy responsible for Samurai Jack and Power Puff Girls) and it's legitimately one of the best-animated shows I have ever seen, and seeing the dinosaurs in it really drove me to improve my own
1604255354514.png
1604256148627.png