Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
So when I host events, sometimes I want to double post to better divide information in terms of announcements or when I'm participating in my own event. I know this issue has also cropped up for other members in other events too. The fact that I want to ping people also adds to this dilemma as I want people to be notified of the new announcement rather than edit it onto the existing post and risk it not being seen.

So what I'm proposing is adding an exception to the double posting rule where hosts of an official event can double post. If you want to make sure nobody maliciously abuses this for spam, you can set a time limit of about an hour before you can make your double post.

Thoughts?

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
I honestly don't mind either way, but I can understand where you're coming from. Maybe have exceptions to the rule, like when playing mafia. Maybe certain events can get special permissions. Otherwise, what people tend to do is have someone else post first.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
I've run into this problem several times, mostly on Azuri but it's happened here too. I've had to delete a post in order to make sure it gets heard, and a change to this rule would make it a lot easier. I completely agree with your idea.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
We had a conversation about this on the official Discord, ironically enough in the competitive battling channel of all places. It was pointed out that, while this system can pose a minor inconvenience at times, keeping things to the currently established channels of editing, someone else posting, or waiting 24 hours seems to be the way to go. Leaving the rules as they are would likely be preferable to adding a separate clause into the rules about this, as it makes things more complicated overall and messier to enforce.

I'm not sure hows pings play into this discussion. The way I see it, wouldn't pinging someone in an edited post that didn't previously have a ping make it more obvious that the post was edited in some way?

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
I kinda gave my thoughts in the Discord, but I'm on the side of leaving the double posting rules how they are. I get that it can be a little inconvenient, but I think that the current system is the best way to go since it's broad and applies everywhere. Adding exceptions is always messy because it's harder to explain, enforce, and understand.

The current rule allows thread creators to double post as long as 24 hours have passed since their last post. I think that maybe adding a bit to extend this to other hosts and not just the original creator could be a good idea, but in most cases it works fine to have the limit be 24 hours. The reason that this was originally brought up was because the host of a tournament (Wheegalure) wanted to double post with the results of a battle without having to edit it into the post where he announced the matchups. I can get the reasoning for wanting to make a separate post, but realistically it's not hard to just do something like this to accomplish the same thing without a new post being needed:
Main Post bla bla bla

---

[EDIT] New information
The only situation where I think a double post is the most warranted is if some sort of new important information needs to be added, but in the context where nobody else has posted yet I think that those situations are already iffy. If 24 hours haven't passed yet, it's likely that others haven't seen the thread/update, and if you're still the most recent poster people it'll still be the most recent thing in the thread when someone else does view it. If it's been a substantial amount of time since the first post and you're worried people will miss the information, waiting a little longer to meet the 24 hour requirement is a realistic solution too.

There might be some situations where that isn't true, but I don't think that these situations are a big enough issue that we need to make the double posting rule more complicated. If it's really that important, you can use other workarounds like having someone else post, or bringing up the new information to people directly on Discord or maybe even through private message.

Regarding mentions, editing a ping into a message that's already been posted doesn't send a notification, so unfortunately that's not really a workaround for double posts.

In the end this isn't something that I think will substantially help/hurt the site one way or the other and is mostly preference, so if there's a lot of support to change the rule I think we could modify it in some way. I just think the way things are right now is better.