Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 00 - Rules

Welcome, to the rules for my next challenge run of a Pokémon game. I conducted a poll shortly after my Silver Wedlocke to see which game I should play and what kind of challenge I should do. The results decided I would be playing Pokémon Sapphire, and that I would doing another Wedlocke. I thought about the Wedlocke challenge while looking at the suggested rules given to me by people who did the poll. I have decided on my rules below:

1. Fainted Pokémon are considered dead and must be released/permanently boxed.
  2. I may only catch the first Pokémon I encounter in any route or area.
    • An exception to this rule is that I cannot catch a Pokémon I have already caught or if I have already caught a Pokémon from the same evolutionary line.
    • If I have less than 6 Pokémon, I cannot catch a Pokémon of the same gender as the unpaired Pokémon in my party. I have decided to allow genderless Pokémon to be caught, but their compatibility will be decided upon initial encounter with random.org.
    • Shiny Pokémon can be instantly caught due to their rarity and function as a bonus encounter.
    • Gift Pokémon that have been given to the player do not count as taking up the encounter of the area where they were received.
  3. All Pokémon must be nicknamed. This is just to create a stronger bond between me and my Pokémon.
  4. Pokémon of opposite genders are partnered into pairs and may only fight in pairs. They cannot switch between other pairs in a battle unless forcibly switched.
  5. Pokémon in the party cannot be deposited in the PC unless they are dead.
I have also decided on one extra rule:
  1. Only one healing item may be used per battle per pair (oh my gosh I'm going to fail)
I am excited about this challenge because I really love the atmosphere of generation 3. However, I realise I won't really be able to use Machamp, Golem or Alakazam as there is no way for me to trade their pre-evolutions to evolve them. Still, that is a very small issue. I am also hoping to add a bit more story with my Pokémon by adding Pokémon thoughts and interactions as a way to get closer to my team and understand their characters a little more. However, I will try to keep this series in the same succinct style I always do. Thanks for bearing with me, and please enjoy this impending adventure!

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 01 - A Rainy Day

• I chose the girl character and named her “Rainy”
  • I arrived in Littleroot Town in the moving van and set the clock in my room
  • I went and met Brendan next-door, who went off to catch Pokémon for his dad, who I heard shouting from Route 101
  • I used random.org to determine my starter, and I got Treecko
  • I defeated the Poochyena that was harassing Professor Birch and received “Fern” the male Treecko
  • My challenge does not start until I get Pokéballs, so Fern and I made our way past wild Pokémon on the way to battle Brendan
  • I found Brendan on Route 103 and beat him in a quick battle
  • We both returned to the lab, where Professor Birch gave me a Pokédex
  • On my way out of town, mum gave me some running shoes
Fern: I didn't think I'd win that battle. I'm excited for an adventure with Rainy, I really hope I can be the Pokémon she wants me to be!
  • On Route 101, I caught “Lucky” the female Zigzagoon and paired her with Fern
  • On Route 103, I caught “Monsoon” the female Wingull
  • On Route 102, I caught “Mosaic” the male Wurmple, and paired him with Monsoon
  • I did some training on Route 101, where Mosaic evolved into Silcoon
  • I made my way through Route 102, and reached Petalburg City, where I helped Wally catch a Ralts on dad’s request
Mosaic: I evolved! I'm so happy, I'm going to be a Beautifly!
Monsoon: You might end up being more beautiful than me :cheekyazurill:
Mosaic: Well, you'll always be the strong one...
Monsoon: Aww, don't say that Mosaic. You're plenty useful already!
Mosaic: Hehehe
  • On Route 104, I caught “Dawn” the male Taillow
  • In Petalburg Woods, I caught “Decaf” the female Slakoth, and paired her with Dawn
  • I trained my Pokémon around Route 104 for a while, where Mosaic evolved into a Beautifly
  • I made my way through Petalburg Woods and defeated a troublesome Team Aqua grunt
  • I reached Rustboro City and used a repel on Route 116 to get to the Rusturf Tunnel
  • In Rusturf Tunnel, I accidentally knocked out my encounter with a critical-hit
  • On Route 116, I caught “Yell” the male Whismur
Decaf: Oh dear, I really didn't mean to hit that Whismur so hard...
Dawn: Wow... You gotta share your workout with me! How did you get so buff? :hearteyesazurill:
Decaf: Workout? I usually just hang from trees all day...
Dawn: Wow... You're so modest!
Decaf: is actually just confused

Lucky: I may not be very strong... but I'll help out... I'll look for more ultra balls and super potions...
Fern: Hey, don't say that... I think you're wonderful...
Lucky: You don't have to lie to me like that... I'm not stupid... Everyone knows I'm the weakest link... :seriousazurill:
Fern: I- uh... wait- Lucky, come back, I- :ohnoazurill:
Monsoon: Hey Fern, don't worry too much about it.
Decaf: Yeah. She's just a bit self-conscious but she'll pull through ♪. It's not anything you said. You were only trying to comfort her ♪.
Fern: R- right!

Wow! What a first part. Crazy that I ended up getting Slakoth in Petalburg Woods. Truant has always put me off Slakoth, so I'll be interested to see what Decaf can do. I know I'm going to have trouble with Lucky down the road, because she has a terrible nature for a Zigzagoon, but I'll have to grin and bear it, and have a little faith in her. Training took a while, although my hours are super high because I went to the supermarket and left the game on by mistake and when I came back, my DS was just sitting there unaffected and still running the game. I am worried about Roxanne, but I think I have a strategy, which involves using Lucky to debuff Roxanne's Pokémon and send in Fern to clean up. Hopefully that will go as expected. It's going to be hard with only one healing item during the battle, but I think it will work.

Fern

Level 11
Nature: Modest
Ability: Overgrow
Item: None

-Pound
-Leer
-Absorb
-Quick Attack

Lucky

Level 11
Nature: Calm
Ability: Pickup

-Headbutt
-Growl
-Tail Whip
-Tackle

Monsoon

Level 11
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Keen Eye

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Supersonic
-

Mosaic

Level 11
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Swarm

-Absorb
-String Shot
- Poison Sting
-Harden

Dawn

Level 11
Nature: Rash
Ability: Guts

-Peck
-Growl
-Focus Energy
-Quick Attack

Decaf

Level 11
Nature: Gentle
Ability: Truant

-Scratch
-Yawn
-Encore
-

No badges acquired

Player: Rainy
Hours: 8:25

• "Yell" the male Whismur
None : )

Last edited:

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Interested to see what pair you'll pick for Roxanne. While Monsoon and Mosaic both have super effective moves, they are weak to Rock moves. Lucky might not have anything super effective, but Fern is at the very least not weak to Rock moves. Looking forward to your choice ^^

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 02 - Roxanne Debris

• I trained my Pokémon in the Rusturf Tunnel and around Route 116
  • I gave Oran berries to Lucky and Fern
Fern: Lucky, I've been working on a plan with Rainy to beat the Gym Leader together.
Lucky: Are you sure I'm important for that? Oh.
Fern: Lucky, I know you think I'm just saying this, but I swear... I know that you really can do this.
Lucky: You can't know that. Especially after all you know about me...
Fern: I can and I do... Let's do this together!
Lucky: :blushazurill:
  • Challenged Leader Roxanne to a battle
    • I led the fight with Lucky against her Geodude
    • Lucky used Growl five times and dodged two Rock Tombs
    • I switched into Fern, who managed to take Geodude out in one hit with Absorb
    • I switched back to Lucky against Nosepass, and used Growl 3 times while Nosepass used Harden
    • I switched back into Fern, who got hit by a critical-hit Rock Tomb, and survived and ate his berry
    • Fern used Absorb to regain some health and damage Nosepass slowly
    • Roxanne used a healing item when Nosepass got to 2/5 of it’s initial health
    • Fern continued to use Absorb as Nosepass used its weakened Rock Tomb
    • Roxanne healed for a second time, and Fern was hit with another critical-hit Rock Tomb
    • I used a Super Potion of my own as my healing item in case she got another critical hit
    • I used Absorb a couple more times and finally took out Nosepass
Monsoon: You guys did it! I'm so proud of my friends, oh my gosh! Begins to chatter nonstop to everyone in excitement
Lucky: Fern. Thank you for believing in me. :seriousazurill:
Fern: Of course. I care about you Lucky, and I hope you see how awesome you can be now.
Lucky: smiles ever so slightly
  • Rainy received the Stone Badge from Roxanne
  • I Followed a thieving Team Aqua grunt to the Rusturf Tunnel
  • I defeated him and saved Peeko

I'm so glad the gym battle went well. I was very afraid of what Roxanne could do, and for good reason. Roxanne was tricky and her Pokémon were strong, so I'm very proud of my Pokémon for managing to defeat her without casualties. I'm especially proud of Lucky for her help in the battle. It may have been a simple task, but it was important in supporting Fern in the battle.

Fern

Level 15

-Quick Attack
-Leer
-Absorb
-Pound

Lucky

Level 14

-Headbutt
-Growl
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack

Monsoon

Level 14
Nature: Quirky

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Supersonic
-Wing Attack

Mosaic

Level 14
Nature: Lonely
Ability: Swarm

-Gust
-String Shot
-Absorb
-Harden

Dawn

Level 14

-Wing Attack
-Growl
-Focus Energy
-Quick Attack

Decaf

Level 14
Ability: Truant

-Scratch
-Yawn
-Encore
-Slack Off

Hours: 10:12

None : )

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 03 - Dewford Brawl

• I returned to Mr. Briny’s Cottage to take the ferry
  • I arrived in Dewford Town where the locals were buzzing about “LACKS LESSONS”
Fern: What is this "Lack's Lessons"?
Monsoon: Oh, it's this super awesome series with an interesting complicated plot with great characters Monsoon chatters on and on
Fern: (Sorry I asked...)
  • I went north to Route 106 and battled some Fishermen
  • On Route 106, I caught “Gelatin” the male Tentacool
  • In Granite Cave, I caught “Satin” the male Zubat
  • I staggered through the dark and delivered the letter to Steven Stone
  • I trained all my Pokémon to level 17, and Fern evolved into Grovyle
Mosaic: Good luck for our gym battle Monsoon!
Monsoon: We're going to be fantastic, just watch us!
  • Challenged Brawly to a battle
    • I led with Mosaic against his Machop and missed a few Stun Spores while Machop used Bulk Up
    • I used Gust a few times while Machop suffered paralysis
    • When it got to low health, Brawly healed his Machop
    • I continued using Gust and got hit with a Karate Chop made more strong with some Leers, and Mosaic was killed
    • Monsoon entered the battle and retaliated with a critical-hit Water Gun
    • Monsoon was brought down with some more Water Guns as Machop was paralysed
    • When Makuhita came out, Monsoon used Supersonic and confused it
    • Monsoon used some Water Guns and was hit by some Arm Thrusts
    • At one point, I miscalculated, and some critical-hit Arm Thrusts killed Monsoon
    • I sent in Dawn to take out Makuhita and defeat Brawly
  • Rainy received the Knuckle Badge
Lucky: That was wrong. Why did this have to happen.
Fern: Oh Lucky, I feel awful too. It was just a terrible, terrible accident :sadazurill:
Decaf: (I can't believe it... My friends... I can't let this happen again...)
  • I withdrew Satin the male Zubat, and with no female Pokémon to pair him with, I took the boat to Slateport City and went north to Route 110
  • On Route 110, I caught “Neon” the female Electrike, and paired him with Satin
Satin: Hehe, nice to meet you Neon, let's have some fun together.
Neon: Well nice to hear that, but I am very focused on doing a good job as a member of this team. I don't want any distractions.
Satin: Oh... well ok.
  • I trained my new pair up to level 17
  • I returned to Route 109 and defeated the trainers there, and Decaf evolved into Vigoroth
  • I defeated some Team Aqua grunts that we’re causing problems at the Maritime Museum
  • On Route 103, we got into a tricky situation
    • Neon was put to sleep and threatened by a Skitty’s DoubleSlap, but was saved by Satin
    • Satin fell for Cute Charm and I had to use a Super Potion as my one healing item
    • Next turn, Satin succeeded in using Bite and knocking out the Skitty
Neon: Thank you for helping me and being a good partner in that battle Satin. It was well-appreciated and very professional.
Satin: Hey, no biggie! I'll always look out for you when you need it, haha.
Neon: (:blushazurill:)
  • Lucky evolved into Linoone on Route 110, as I did some training and prepared to fight Brendan
I'm very disappointed in the deaths of Mosaic and Monsoon. I think I got to be too confident, and I wish I had been a bit more careful. On the other hand, my new pair is an interesting one. An adamant Electrike isn't very good, but I'll work with it. I have high-hopes especially for Satin so far. I'm very excited for Decaf too, who has become much stronger and more useful as a Vigoroth. I'm looking forward to using her more in serious battles. I am less worried about this Brendan fight, and more terrified about the fight with Wattson coming up, as he is notoriously difficult and I have nothing I can do about Magnemite and Magneton at the moment. I will have to engineer some sort of strategy, or else it could easily be the end of the Wedlocke so soon.

Fern

Level 18

-Quick Attack
-Leer
-Absorb
-Pursuit

Lucky

Level 20

-Headbutt
-Growl
-Tail Whip
-Sand Attack

Satin

Level 18
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Inner Focus
Item: Soothe Bell

-Bite
-Supersonic
-Leech Life
-Astonish

Neon

Level 18
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Static

-Quick Attack
-Thunder Wave
-Leer
-Howl

Dawn

Level 20
Item: Silk Scarf

-Wing Attack
-Double Team
-Focus Energy
-Quick Attack

Decaf

Level 20
Ability: Vital Spirit
Item: Quick Claw

-Fury Swipes
-Yawn
-Encore
-Slack Off

Hours: 18:45

• "Gelatin" the male Tentacool
Mosaic

Mosaic, you may have been lonely in nature, but I know that you were never alone with Monsoon. You were proud of your growth into a Beautifly, and so was I. I hope you'll forgive me for letting you down in that gym battle, and that you can rest easy now with Monsoon.

Monsoon

I was very excited for my quirky gull and what she would accomplish in her future. Unfortunately, Monsoon did not get the chance she should have had. I wish that things could have gone better for her, but now she and Mosaic will get to fly together forever in peace.

Last edited:

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
That Gym Battle was pretty sad to be honest, and gotta say, paralysing Machop might have been the worst strategy? Pretty sure it has Guts so I think you would've been better off immediately using Gust. Same with Confusing Makuhita.. Guts is a terribly ability if you don't watch out for it.

Sad to see Mosaic and Monsoon go like this

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
That Gym Battle was pretty sad to be honest, and gotta say, paralysing Machop might have been the worst strategy? Pretty sure it has Guts so I think you would've been better off immediately using Gust. Same with Confusing Makuhita.. Guts is a terribly ability if you don't watch out for it.

Sad to see Mosaic and Monsoon go like this
Yeah, I completely forgot about Guts and just blanked. Next time I'm going to think things through a lot harder so stuff like this doesn't happen again.

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 04 - What's with Wattson?

• I challenged Brendan to a battle
    • I sent out Decaf against his Wailmer and used Fury Swipes a few times while Wailmer Splashed
    • When Wailmer was down, he sent out a Combusken and I switched into Dawn, who took it out with Wing attacks
    • Dawn did the same for his Shroomish, and Brendan was defeated
Decaf: Did you see me?
Dawn: Yeah babe! You're so strong now it's awesome!
  • I continued north along route 110
  • I reached Mauville City
  • I got a Mach Bike at Rydel's Cycles
  • On Route 117, I caught "Buoy" the female Marill
  • I trained my Pokémon up to level 23, where Satin evolved into Golbat, and then into Crobat
  • Dawn also evolved into Swellow
Decaf: Wow! You look amazing!
Dawn: I feel amazing! I feel like you and I are on our way towards something big together!

Satin: Wow, I feel like I can do anything now!
Neon: You look great, and you've gotten so strong.
Satin: Hey Neon?
Neon: What is it?
Satin: I just wanted to say... if things don't go well in this battle... and I do have to fight... well, I'll fight as hard as I can to save you!
Neon: Dummy... Don't say things like that...
Satin: I really mean it.
Neon: :blushazurill:
  • I challenged Wattson to a battle
    • I led with Fern against his Magnemite, and used Screech a couple of times to lower its defence
    • Fern was hit by a Thunderwave and struggled with paralysis while being hit by two Sonicbooms, but he ate his Oran Berry and I switched into Lucky
    • I started with Rock Smash and got hit by a Thunderwave, which Lucky healed with a Cheri Berry
    • Against Voltorb, I switched into Fern and tried to Absorb some health back, but was incapacitated by paralysis twice
    • In order to be ready for Magneton, I had to use my healing item - a full restore picked up by Lucky - to heal Fern
    • Voltorb used Selfdestruct and hurt Fern greatly
    • I managed a Screech, but Magneton's Shock Wave killed Fern
    • I brought in Lucky and used Mud Sport, getting paralysed by Thunder Wave
    • I only got off one Rock Smash because of paralysis, and Lucky was killed by a Sonicboom
    • I sent in Decaf to do as much damage as I could, starting with a Yawn to stall Magneton, getting paralysed in the process
    • Magneton woke up very quickly, and used Supersonic
    • Unfortunately, Decaf hit herself in confusion at a bad time, and Magneton killed her with a Shock Wave
    • Dawn couldn't survive one Shock Wave and died instantly
    • I sent in Satin in hopes of flinching it, and Wattson fully healed Magneton
    • Satin also couldn't take a Shock Wave, and was killed
    • Neon was the last one standing, but just wasn't strong enough to defeat Magneton before being killed, and so my team and my Wedlocke were destroyed
  • Rainy failed the Sapphire Wedlocke
And so, with that, I have failed the challenge. I knew Wattson was a Nuzlocke-breaker, and I really tried my hardest, but sometimes this is what happens. I really wish it hadn't ended like this, but I guess that goes without saying. I feel bad for the Pokémon that fought so hard on my team and are now dead, with no chance at becoming champions. But this is far from over. I am going to get my revenge, and revenge starts when I destroy Wattson completely. Stay tuned for more...

N/A

FAILED

Hours: 18:45

• "Gelatin" the male Tentacool
  • "Buoy" the female Marill
Mosaic

Mosaic, you may have been lonely in nature, but I know that you were never alone with Monsoon. You were proud of your growth into a Beautifly, and so was I. I hope you'll forgive me for letting you down in that gym battle, and that you can rest easy now with Monsoon.

Monsoon

I was very excited for my quirky gull and what she would accomplish in her future. Unfortunately, Monsoon did not get the chance she should have had. I wish that things could have gone better for her, but now she and Mosaic will get to fly together forever in peace.

Fern

Fern, the moment I realised you weren't going to survive the battle, my heart sank. You have been phenomenal from the beginning, in how you battled so well, became so strong, and built Lucky up to create an inseparable bond between to two of you. I'm so proud of everything you have accomplished, and you don't need to be modest about any of it. Now rest with Lucky in peace.

Lucky

You were not the strongest Pokémon, Lucky, but you were determined and you certainly impressed me multiple times. Whether it was dodging attack in Roxanne's gym, or the large quantity of Whismur we plowed through in Rusturf Tunnel, believe me when I say I am proud of you. I wish we could have had more adventures together, and I hope you and Fern are in a better place.

Decaf

You were a very rare find, Decaf, and all of your truancy at the beginning was well-worth the beast you became. You were an amazing powerhouse, dedicated to protecting the peace and protecting your friends the best you could. I'm just sorry your best wasn't enough to destroy Magneton. I won't forget you soon, Decaf.

Dawn

I knew from the start I would be able to trust you to do well, and you did not disappoint me. You were all that a Taillow and a Swellow should be, and I know you could have gone on to do so much more. I'm sorry your time was cut short by Wattson. I hope that you and Decaf will find peace, working out together forever in the next life.

Satin

It took a long time to train you Satin, but it was so worth it. You became so strong and independent, I know you wanted to impress Mosaic and her attitude to the team. Well, I know she would be very proud of you, just as I am. You can now rest with her forever.

Neon

While your nature threw me off a bit at first, I now know you were so Adamant because you were trying to compensate for some of your flaws with hard-work and determination. I think you were a bit of a team role-model, especially for mischievous Satin. Unfortunately, you couldn't go as far as you wanted. In your last moments, I'm proud that you stood your ground and didn't give up. I will miss you, and I will miss Satin.

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Oof. That's rough. > <

If you do attempt this challenge again, I recommend picking either one of the other starters since their secondary STAB will help you a lot against Wattson.

I also think the one healing item per pair is a little rough. Perhaps you could change it to three? (I believe this is how Marriland does it in his own Wedlockes)

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Oof. That's rough. > <

If you do attempt this challenge again, I recommend picking either one of the other starters since their secondary STAB will help you a lot against Wattson.

I also think the one healing item per pair is a little rough. Perhaps you could change it to three? (I believe this is how Marriland does it in his own Wedlockes)
That's a good point. Grovyle doesn't have anything it can do against Wattson really, and just one healing item makes it super difficult. I'm planning, for my revenge, to up it to two healing items instead, and hopefully that will make a good difference. I did want to challenge myself and not use three, but yeah, one healing item is brutal enough (I can just imagine using none in a Wedlocke :surprisedazurill:).

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 01b - Oddly Familiar

Preface:
I have decided to increase the item limit from 1 to 2 healing items per pair per battle. I now recognise that the limit imposed previously was a bit overkill for me.

• I restarted the game as Storm
  • I met with May next door, who went off to help her dad catch Pokémon
  • I heard screaming and found Professor Birch being attacked by a Poochyena
  • Using random.org, I chose "Puddles" the male Mudkip
Puddles: I think Storm and I are going to be pretty good friends. He seems really intense about becoming the champion, but like, I'm sure he'll mellow-out eventually or whatever. Yeah, things are going to be pretty great.
  • I went north through Route 103, where I defeated May in a battle
  • I returned home and received the Pokédex and some running shoes
  • On Route 101, I caught "Fortune" the female Zigzagoon and paired her with Puddles
Puddles: Like, welcome to the party Fortune!
Fortune: Well thanks! Looks like we're going to have fun. Even though our trainer seems pretty intense if you ask me.
  • On Route 103, I caught "Steele" the male Poochyena
  • On Route 102, I caught "Polly" the female Lotad and paired her with Steele
  • I trained my Pokémon on Route 101
  • I reached Petalburg city and helped Wally catch a Pokémon
  • On Route 104, I caught "Birdnado" the female Wingull
  • In Petalburg Woods, I accidentally knocked out my encounter (Wurmple)
  • I reached Rustboro City
  • In Rusturf Tunnel, I caught "Resonance" the male Whismur and paired him with Birdnado
  • On Route 116, I caught "Skyknight" the male Taillow
  • I trained my Pokémon to level 14, and Polly evolved into a Lombre
Polly: Wow! Finally I'm evolved and ready for action!
Steele: Yeah! That gym won't know what hit it! We got this, gang!
Birdnado: Yeah! Woo!
Fortune: Do we?
Resonance: Guess we'll find out anyway.
Steele: Don't be like that. Storm is counting on us to do well! So, let's do well!

Glad I have a team now that isn't all dead. I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this team. It is odd to get used to a whole new bunch of characters when I was just starting to get used to the previous team. Nonetheless, I'm determined we'll beat Roxanne and go farther than we did in the last attempt. I'm looking forward to using the talents of Mudkip in the upcoming fights, and it's nice to have a Zigzagoon whose attack stat isn't decreased by its nature. I am worried about Brawly though, but I'm getting ahead of myself a bit. I plan to use Puddles in this upcoming gym battle, and I think he will do well. Anyways... here's to a hopefully-successful second attempt!

Puddles

Level 14
Nature: Lax
Ability: Torrent

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Mud-Slap
-Tackle

Fortune

Level 14
Nature: Sassy

-Headbutt
-Growl
-Tail Whip
-Tackle

Steele

Level 14
Nature: Bold
Ability: Run Away

-Bite
-Howl
-Sand-Attack
-Tackle

Polly

Level 14
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Swift Swim

-Absorb
-Growl
-Astonish
-Nature Power

Birdnado

Level 14

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Supersonic
-Wing Attack

Resonance

Level 14
Ability: Soundproof

-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish
-

NO BADGES OBTAINED

Player: Storm
Hours: 6:36

• "Skyknight" the male Taillow
Attempt 1:
Mosaic

Monsoon

Fern

Fern, the moment I realised you weren't going to survive the battle, my heart sank. You have been phenomenal from the beginning, in how you battled so well, became so strong, and built Lucky up to create an inseparable bond between to two of you. I'm so proud of everything you have accomplished, and you don't need to be modest about any of it. Now rest with Lucky in peace.

Lucky

You were not the strongest Pokémon, Lucky, but you were determined and you certainly impressed me multiple times. Whether it was dodging attack in Roxanne's gym, or the large quantity of Whismur we plowed through in Rusturf Tunnel, believe me when I say I am proud of you. I wish we could have had more adventures together, and I hope you and Fern are in a better place.

Decaf

You were a very rare find, Decaf, and all of your truancy at the beginning was well-worth the beast you became. You were an amazing powerhouse, dedicated to protecting the peace and protecting your friends the best you could. I'm just sorry your best wasn't enough to destroy Magneton. I won't forget you soon, Decaf.

Dawn

I knew from the start I would be able to trust you to do well, and you did not disappoint me. You were all that a Taillow and a Swellow should be, and I know you could have gone on to do so much more. I'm sorry your time was cut short by Wattson. I hope that you and Decaf will find peace, working out together forever in the next life.

Satin

It took a long time to train you Satin, but it was so worth it. You became so strong and independent, I know you wanted to impress Mosaic and her attitude to the team. Well, I know she would be very proud of you, just as I am. You can now rest with her forever.

Neon

While your nature threw me off a bit at first, I now know you were so Adamant because you were trying to compensate for some of your flaws with hard-work and determination. I think you were a bit of a team role-model, especially for mischievous Satin. Unfortunately, you couldn't go as far as you wanted. In your last moments, I'm proud that you stood your ground and didn't give up. I will miss you, and I will miss Satin.

Attempt 2:
None :)

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Oof, losing a challenge like that is just heartbreak. I commend you for trying again though! That really takes some persistence.

As much as I like the Treecko line, I agree with Kaori that Mudkip should serve you much better for this challenge. Mudkip is incredibly solid in-game, with a favorable matchup against three out of the first four Gym Leaders. I also think upping the amount of healing items is a good decision. One healing item might've been a bit too ambitious. ^^' Two should still give you somewhat of a challenge though! I look forward to seeing how this second attempt will unfold. Good luck!

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 02b - Roxanne Returns

• I gave Oran Berries to Puddles and Fortune
Puddles: Like, are you ready?
Fortune: Who do you think you're talking to? I was born ready!
  • I challenged Roxanne to a battle
    • I led with Puddles against her Geodude and used Mud-Slap for a bit of damage while it used Defence Curl
    • I followed up with Water Gun to knock it out and switched into Fortune
    • I used Growl a few times as Nosepass went for Harden, and then switched back into Puddles
    • I used Water Gun a few times as Nosepass chipped away at Puddles with Rock Tomb
    • Roxanne used a couple of Potions when Nosepass’ health got low, but Puddles was able to bring it back down and defeat it without too much worry, and with that, Roxanne was defeated
  • Storm received the Stone Badge
Fortune: We did it Puddles! Not too shabby, hey?
Puddles: Haha, yeah :uwuazurill:
Polly: Hehe! It was fantastic! Right Steele?
Steele: Huh? Oh, yeah, it was great you guys!
Resonance: (Hmm... it's not like that one to be distracted. I wonder what's up with him...)
  • I Went north to pursue a Team Aqua Grunt
  • I defeated him with Polly and rescued Peeko
  • I took Mr. Briny’s boat to Dewford Town and heard about “Approved Movie”
  • On Route 106, I caught “Jellette” the female Tentacool
  • In Granite Cave, I caught “Crusher” the female Aron
  • I did some training around Granite Cave, and Puddles evolved into Marshtomp
Steele: All my friends are getting so much stronger, which is great; that's what I wanted. But, I can't help but wonder... What if I get left behind? Can I be strong enough for Storm? Are my friends just going to keep getting better and better?

I'm glad that we had another successful and quite familiar battle with Roxanne. Fortune is impressing me with her ability to hit harder than Lucky did (even though she doesn't find me as many cool items, she's still great). Puddles is strong now and I'm looking forward to a rematch with Wattson, but first, I need to deal with Brawly, and I might have to try and solo it with Birdnado. Every pair has a Pokémon weak to fighting in it, so I think I should lead with my best foot forward. I'll not make the same mistakes as last time though, and two healing items will make it much more manageable. I will do some more training and take on the gym in the next fews days and hopefully continue towards our main revenge battle. I know my Pokémon are as psyched for it as I am :cheekyazurill:. I have been a bit worried about Steele though, who has maybe the lowest stats in the party (his attack is higher than Fortune's, but Fortune's special attack is higher than his, and he's the one who would need it more if anything.

Puddles

Level 16

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Mud Shot
-Tackle

Fortune

Level 14

-Headbutt
-Growl
-Tail Whip
-Tackle

Steele

Level 14

-Bite
-Howl
-Sand-Attack
-Tackle

Polly

Level 16

-Absorb
-Growl
-Astonish
-Nature Power

Birdnado

Level 16

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Supersonic
-Wing Attack

Resonance

Level 14

-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish
-

Hours: 8:28

• "Jellette" the female Tentacool
  • "Crusher" the female Aron
Attempt 1:
Mosaic

Monsoon

Fern

Lucky

Decaf

Dawn

Satin

Neon

Attempt 2:

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 03b - Flight of the Seagull

• I trained my Pokémon in Rusturf Tunnel and Granite Cave
  • I gave an Oran Berry to Birdnado
Puddles: Like, do you think Birdnado can do this alone?
Fortune: Have you met Birdnado? She becomes ferocious in a battle! Even if she doesn't make it, she won't make easy on him.
  • I challenged Brawly to a battle
    • I led with Birdnado against his Machop, who began Bulking Up
    • I used Wing Attack again an a Karate Chop did 2/5 of my health
    • Brawly used a Super Potion and I kept using Wing Attack
    • Machop brought Birdnado to low health, and Birdnado ate her Oran Berry
    • Brawly used a second Super Potion, and I had to as well after a Seismic Toss
    • I managed to beat it with a few more Wing Attacks, but Birdnado was now on very low health, and I had to use my last healing item for the pair
    • I was hit by two hits of Arm Thrust by Makuhita for minimal damage, and Birdnado flew into a rage, scoring a critical-hit and destroying Makuhita in one swift move, and defeating Brawly
Birdnado: WROARRRRRRR! MORE! MUST KILL MORE!
Resonance: Now, now, remember what we talked about? Find your happy place. Take deep breaths.
Birdnado: heavy panting
Fortune: ...ok then... :surprisedazurill:
  • Storm Received the Knuckle Badge
  • I took the ferry to Route 109 and made my way towards Slateport City
  • Stopped some Team Aqua grunts who were causing trouble in the Maritime Museum
    • In the second battle, Steele almost knocked himself out in confusion after having some trouble with a Zubat, but was rescued by Polly
Polly: Oh Steele! Are you okay!?
Steele: Yeah, I'm fine... I just had a bit of trouble with that Zubat...
Polly: Steele! I'm so glad you're okay! I was worried!
Steele: Polly?
Polly: Yes? What is it?
Steele: I think I need some alone time right now...
Polly: Oh... Okay then...
  • On Route 110, I caught “Comet” the male Electrike
I am glad that the battle with Brawly went so well. Machop gave me a lot of trouble and I was so happy and surprised when Birdnado took out Makuhita in one hit (for some reason I remember Makuhita being more bulky). Birdnado certainly got revenge for Mosaic and Monsoon, and now we're on track to defeat Wattson. Steele had a near-death experience, and I'm worried he might not make it next time. I will do my best to keep him alive though, as he's just about to evolve in one level and get some better stats. I'm also looking forward to using Resonance more as I continue now, as he will evolve in two levels.

Puddles

Level 17
Item: Soft Sand

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Mud Shot
-Tackle

Fortune

Level 17

-Headbutt
-Growl
-Tail Whip
-Tackle

Steele

Level 17

-Bite
-Howl
-Sand-Attack
-Tackle

Polly

Level 19

-Absorb
-Growl
-Astonish
-Nature Power

Birdnado

Level 19

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Supersonic
-Wing Attack

Resonance

Level 18

-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish
-Howl

Hours: 10:50

• “Comet” the male Electrike
Attempt 1:
Mosaic

Monsoon

Fern

Lucky

Decaf

Dawn

Satin

Neon

Attempt 2:

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 04b - Mauville Showdown

• I headed north to Route 110 and 103 and defeated some trainers
  • Steele evolved into Mightyena
  • Fortune evolved into Linoone
Fortune: Well, well, well! Look at me now!
Puddles: Yeah man! You look, like, totally cool!
Polly: Hey, Steele. You look... really cool. Like really strong! I mean, it's not that you weren't strong before, what I meant is before you were super cool, but now you're like, mega cool, and-
Steele: Hey, Polly?
Polly: Yeah?
Steele: Thank you. I appreciate you saying that.
Polly: Oh! Well, it's nothing really, haha. She skips away humming :happyazurill:
Steele: I feel like I can be strong now... as strong as I need to be... I can finally protect Storm and-
Steele: ...Polly... I can protect her too.
  • I challenged May to a battle
    • I led with Fortune against her Wailmer and made it flinch with Headbutt, and then took it out with another Headbutt in the next turn
    • I switched into Puddles against Numel and use Water Gun to take it out in one hit
    • I switched back to Fortune against Grovyle, and took a couple of weak pursuits, while Fortune knocked it out with two Headbutts, defeating May
  • I continued along Route 110, and Resonance evolved into Loudred
  • I reached Mauville City and defeated Wally
  • On Route 117, I caught “Willo’Wisp” the male Volbeat
  • I gave Steele the Blackglasses
Resonance: My, my! Aren't we cool?
Steele: Very funny. These are just an item for battle: they have utility in making me more efficient.
Polly: Hey, Steele!
Steele: Hmm?
Polly: Nice glasses! Totally hot!
Steele: :blushazurill:
Resonance: :hmmazurill:
  • I trained my Pokémon up to level 23
  • I moved the Silk Scarf to Fortune for the battle
Resonance: Hey Fortune, I want you to wear this!
Fortune: Your scarf?
Resonance: It'll help you, and hopefully bring you a bit of good luck.
Fortune: Thanks! Working with Puddles in this battle, getting a bit chilly in that gym is my main concern.
Resonance: Ha ha.
Resonance: But seriously, Storm has been really tense about this battle for a while, so... good luck!
Fortune: Thanks Res!
  • I challenged Wattson to a battle
    • I led with Puddles against his Magnemite and took it out in one Mud Shot
    • I switched into Fortune against Voltorb, and was hit by a Sonicboom before I got a Headbutt in
    • It just survived, so I figured I’d use Headbutt, anticipating a healing item, and hoping it would not use Self-destruct
    • Voltorb use Self-destruct anyway, but Fortune hung on
    • I switched into Puddles against Magneton, who out-sped him with Sonicboom, and Puddles missed Mud Shot
    • Puddles hit the second time, and took Magneton out in one hit, and Wattson was finally defeated
Puddles: Cool! Like, a new gym badge!
Fortune: You were awesome Puds!
Puddles: Well, like, I couldn't have done it without you.
Fortune: Well, shucks, I mean... you're completely right, but enough about lil' ol' me :catsmileazurill:
Steele: Are you sure you're alright?
Fortune: What do you mean?
Steele: I mean... that Self-destruct was real dangerous. I thought you would have been more shaken up.
Fortune: Pfffft. I don't get worried, as long as I'm with Puddles, I'm essentially invincible.
Steele: That attitude won't help the team.
Fortune: Oh yeah, well, you know what won't help the team!?
Puddles: Uh, guys?
Steele: What's that?
Fortune: Your high-and-mighty "oh, I need to bring everyone down all the time and nag people to train and try hard and bring everyone down in the dumps"
Steele: We have a job to do! Don't you care about being a part of this team!?
Fortune: I wouldn't expect you to understand since you alienate yourself at every possible opportunity.
Puddles: Guys...
Steele: At least I'm not a vapid airhead who thinks I can just coast-by!
Fortune: Yeah? At least I'm not-
Polly: ENOUGH!
Steele: :surprisedazurill:
Fortune: :surprisedazurill:
Puddles: :surprisedazurill:
Resonance: :surprisedazurill:
Birdnado: is gazing off, thinking about terrorising Wurmple
Polly: Stop fighting! This is pointless, it's wasting time, and it's stopping us from all being friends like we should be! Now just apologise so we can move forward!
Steele: I'm... sorry I called you an airhead, Fortune.
Fortune: Yeah, I'm sorry I called you high-and-mighty...
Polly: ...good...
Birdnado: thinks about carnage
  • Storm received the Dynamo Badge
  • I had to teach Rock Smash to Fortune, and opened up Rusturf Tunnel to get the HM for strength
  • I went North to Route 111 and used a Repel so I didn’t encounter Geodude in the breakable boulders
  • On Route 112, I caught “Korma” the female Numel
  • In Fiery Path, I caught “Habanero” the female Slugma
  • I had a tough battle with an Ace Trainer
    • The Ace Trainer paralysed Polly with its Electrike and used Leer multiple times before she knocked it out
    • Then, he sent out Wailmer, and I thought I would be able to defeat it with Absorb, but Polly was too slow and not strong enough, and Wailmer used Rollout - which I forgot it had
    • I used a Full Restore after it had gone twice, hoping she had a chance at full HP, but she was killed instantly
    • Steele avenged her, and had to fight a Makuhita alone, and managed to defeat it with three Bites
Steele: Oh Polly... Why couldn't I help you? What could I have done more? You were the only one who reached out to me and now you're gone. What am I supposed to do?
  • I returned to Mauville, and withdrew Korma and paired her with Steele
I am thrilled at having crushed Wattson so easily this time around! I am not thrilled at the untimely death of Polly. I felt like she had so much more to offer, and I'm sad to see her go so soon. There was nothing I could do in that battle because of what that Electrike did to Polly (especially horrible because the trainer healed it when it was weak). The only fault I had was maybe over-estimating the strength of Polly's Absorb. I wanted to replace her with Jellette because she has a resistance to fighting, Steele is immune to psychic and because she was a good option against Flannery. However, I don't want to have a water type in every pair again, so I chose Korma. Birdnado is about to evolve, and will hopefully become more useful too, and I might even use her in the gym battle against Flannery. For now, it's all up in the air. As you can see, I got a bit carried away with dialogue, but I felt like Fortune and Steele would clash like that in real life. I also got carried away leaving my game on idle one day with my DS on the charge, so the hours are super high for that reason.

Puddles

Level 24

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Mud Shot
-Tackle

Fortune

Level 23

-Headbutt
-Growl
-Tail Whip
-Rock Smash

Steele

Level 24
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Blackglasses

-Bite
-Howl
-Sand-Attack
-Tackle

Korma

Level 15
Nature: Brave
Ability: Oblivious
Item: Exp. Share

-Tackle
-Growl
-Ember
-

Birdnado

Level 24

-Water Gun
-Mist
-Supersonic
-Wing Attack

Resonance

Level 24

-Pound
-Uproar
-Astonish
-Supersonic

Hours: 19:45

• “Willo’Wisp” the male Volbeat
  • “Habanero” the female Slugma
Attempt 1:
Mosaic

Monsoon

Fern

Lucky

Decaf

Dawn

Satin

Neon

Attempt 2:
Polly

You did me very proud multiple times Polly, and I'm sorry about how you went. There was nothing I could do about that Wailmer once that Electrike had paralysed you and lowered your defence. I know Steele will find it hard to continue without you, and so will I, but we will try our best to win this challenge for you. Goodbye my hasty little lily-pad.

Last edited:

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 05b - Feeling the Heat

• On Route 113, I caught “Rotatia” the female Spinda
  • Birdnado evolved into Pelliper
  • I reached Fallarbor Town and headed west to Route 114
  • On Route 114, I caught “Tsuchinoko” the female Seviper
  • At Meteor Falls, I watched as Team Magma confronted Team Aqua, who fled to Mount Chimney
  • I followed them, and challenged their leader Archie to a battle
    • I led with Birdnado, who defeated Mightyena with some Supersonic antics
    • I stayed in against Golbat, but hit myself in confusion so much because of Golbat’s Supersonic
    • Golbat got to heal twice, and Birdnado was only extremely low health, so I switched into Resonance to use Pound
    • Resonance was not strong enough to withstand Golbat’s Wing Attacks, and after bringing it down to 1/3 of its health, Resonance was killed
    • Birdnado came back out, and was killed right away by Golbat
    • I sent in Fortune, who took it out with Headbutt, and then stayed in against Sharpedo
    • Fortune, in hopes of avenging her friends, got a critical-hit Headbutt, and took out Sharpedo with one hit, defeating Archie
Birdnado: lays dying
Birdnado: remembers the fall of Moscow to Napoleon's army and the harsh, ensuing winter
  • I reached Lavaridge Town and said my goodbyes to Birdnado and Resonance
  • I withdrew Skyknight the Taillow and Crusher the Aron from the PC and paired them together
Skyknight: Nice to meet you Crusher! Let's do the best we can!
Crusher: Yeah! We're gonna be great!
  • On Jagged Pass, I caught “Smack” the female Machop
  • I trained my whole team up to level 27, and Skyknight evolved into Swellow
    • As I trained, I found a shiny Machop on the Jagged Pass (Steak the female Machop)
    • I don’t think I will end up using her during this challenge, but it was an awesome surprise and I’m excited to transfer her up to my other games
  • I challenged Flannery to a battle
    • I led with Puddles against her Slugma, and managed to take it out with two Water Guns without being poisoned by its Smog, or having Sunny Day set up
    • I switched into Fortune against the second one, and I managed to make it flinch with Headbutt, and knock it out with a second Headbutt
    • Finally, I brought back Puddles against Torkoal, and used Water Gun for 1/4 damage
      • In this moment, I over-estimated the physical defence of Torkoal way too much, and was under the impression attacking it with Water Gun would do more, but in hindsight, Puddle's attack power combined with Mud shot with the soft sand was a much better strategy
    • Torkoal used Attract, and infatuated Puddles, and he was immobilised and paralysed by Body Slam
    • I used one of many Full Restores as my first healing item, and managed to fight through infatuation and use Water Gun
    • Puddles got hit by a critical-hit Body Slam, and I had to switch out to Fortune, who took a Body Slam, and then made Torkoal flinch with Headbutt
    • Torkoal did not Flinch a second time, however, and used Overheat to kill Fortune
    • I used a Soda Pop as my last healing item, and Flannery healed her Torkoal
    • I changed my strategy and used Mud Shot, but when I got Torkoal to low health, Flannery healed Torkoal a second time, and Puddles was so weak, there was no way Puddles was going to knock it out before Torkoal killed him… unless he got a critical-hit
    • Puddles soldiered through and got a critical-hit Mud Shot against Torkoal, defeating it, and defeating Flannery
Puddles: Fortune... no...
Steele: Puddles, you did all you could.
Puddles: But, like, she was only up against that Torkoal to protect me. If it weren't for me... my friend would still be alive
Steele: No. It's not your fault. That was her choice. You have to move forward for her.
Puddles: ... you're a good leader...
Steele: Leader? Aren't you more of our leader? You've been here longer.
Puddles: Ha ha... listen man, you've always been our leader.
Steele: ...
  • Storm Received the Heat Badge
  • I withdrew Tsuchinoko from the PC and paired her with Puddles
  • On Route 111, I caught “Pebble” the female Sandshrew
  • I found the Root Fossil in the desert and took it to Rustboro to revive “Limestone” the male Lileep
  • I trained my team to level 32, and Crusher evolved into Lairon
This was quite an eventful instalment. The excitement of finding a full-odds shiny Pokémon has been eclipsed for me, by the deaths of Resonance, Birdnado, and Fortune. Now, I will have to get used to a brand-new team of Pokémon, and who knows how many of them will still be with us after the fight with Norman. I plan to use Crusher and Skyknight in the fight, and potentially poison Skyknight before the battle to activate Guts. Crusher will hopefully be able to resist the power of the Slaking, and Skyknight (with his brilliant Adamant nature) can hopefully defeat his Vigoroth without too much pain. My Pokémon are one level higher than his highest Pokémon, but Norman is a very difficult gym leader, and I never set myself a level limit in this challenge officially, so I don't see a huge problem with giving myself some wiggle-room. Also, please share with what you think I should do with my shiny Machop. :hmmazurill:

Puddles

Level 32

-Water Gun
-Growl
-Mud Shot
-Take Down

Fortune

Level 32
Nature: Impish
Ability: Shed Skin

-Wrap
-Screech
-Crunch
-Poison Tail

Steele

Level 32

-Bite
-Swagger
-Sand-Attack
-Tackle

Korma

Level 32
Ability: Oblivious

-Ember
-Amnesia
-Take Down
-Magnitude

Skyknight

Level 32

-Wing Attack
-Double Team
-Focus Energy
-Quick Attack

Resonance

Level 32
Ability: Sturdy

-Metal Claw
-Iron Defense
-Mud-Slap
-Iron Tail

Hours: 35:30

• “Rotatia” the female Spinda
  • “Smack” the female Machop
  • “Pebble” the female Sandshrew
  • “Limestone” the male Lileep
  • “Steak” the female shiny Machop
Attempt 1:
Mosaic

Monsoon

Fern

Lucky

Decaf

Dawn

Satin

Neon

Attempt 2:
Polly

You did me very proud multiple times Polly, and I'm sorry about how you went. There was nothing I could do about that Wailmer once that Electrike had paralysed you and lowered your defence. I know Steele will find it hard to continue without you, and so will I, but we will try our best to win this challenge for you. Goodbye my hasty little lily-pad.

Resonance

I was very excited to get to use you more Resonance, but sadly, it wasn't to be. I'm sorry that you had to die at the hands of that cruel Golbat. I know that you fought hard for Birdnado, and now you can rest easy. I'll miss not being able to use Loudred in this challenge, and I hope you are at peace now.

Birdnado

Here lies Birdnao, Purveyor of Feathered Rage. You were intent on destroying anything that came into your path, and while you had your fair share of victories, this time you were faced with an opponent you couldn't defeat. I hope that now, you can rest knowing that the battle is over, there's no need to fight any longer. Goodbye, Birdnado.

Fortune

I was continually impressed by you, Fortune. You helped Puddles out with many gym fights, and you definitely helped with this one. I'm just sorry it didn't turn out like it should have, and it's my fault. You and Puddles were best friends, and you two worked amazingly together, and I know Puddles will miss you too. I just hope you're picking up Full Restores on the other side now, with your friend Resonance

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 06b - Loafing Around

• I had Skyknight poisoned by a Wurmple, and then healed in front of Norman
  • I challenged Norman to a battle
    • I led with Crusher against his first Slaking, which used Faint Attack for 9 damage
    • I retaliated with Iron Tail and used the next turn to set up Iron DefenCe, thinking he might use some physical moves later that I could tank
    • Slaking continued down the special route with Faint Attack, and I managed to get a defence-debuff with Iron Tail
    • I was able to knock it out with one more Iron Tail, and I stayed in against the other Slaking
    • The Slaking led with Focus Punch, so I used Iron Tail to disrupt its focus and do some damage
    • The next turn I used Iron Defence as Slaking was loafing around
    • The next turn, I countered Focus Punch with Iron Tail again
    • I tried to use it during Slaking’s loafing stage, but I missed
    • Slaking used Faint Attack for minimal damage, and I took it out with another Iron Tail
    • I stayed in against Vigoroth, and took a Faint Attack and then missed with Iron Tail
    • It used Faint Attack again, but this time I hit with Iron Tail and brought it down to less than half its health
    • A critical-hit Faint Attack did very little, and Crusher knocked it out with Iron Tail, and Norman was defeated
Skyknight: Fantastic work Crusher!
Crusher: Thank you! It was an exciting battle!
Steele: Nice work you guys, you worked really hard.
Fortune: Yeah, nice work beating something that can only attack every other turn.
Steele: Excuse me?
Fortune: Heh, I'm just joking, no need to look so serious :catsmileazurill:
Steele: :madazurill:
  • Storm received the Balance Badge
  • In Petalburg City, I caught “Bunny” the male Marill
  • On Route 115, I caught “Breeze” the female Swablu
  • On Route 105, I caught “Soba” the female Magikarp
  • In Dewford Town, I caught “Elastic” the female Wailmer
  • On Route 118, I caught “Toothache” the male Carvanha
  • I went to New Mauville, and battled some electric Pokémon with Korma, causing her to evolve into Camerupt
Korma: Ha! I'm ready to take on lots of battles now! Watch me go!
Steele: Yeah... you look great...
Korma: Steele, you seem a little distracted.
Steele: Huh? No- no I'm fine, I'm fine yeah.
Korma: Steele. :seriousazurill:
Steele: Korma... did I ever tell you about Polly?
Korma: Polly?
Steele: She was my partner on this team before.
Korma: What happened?
Steele: ... just promise me that you'll be careful. Don't take too many risks on this team.
Korma: Do you miss her?
Steele: ... a lot...

I'm so glad the gym battle with Norman went well. I'm also very happy with how this team is turning out. I have three pairs of Pokémon who have some good moves and stats, and I think they're all going to take me far. At the moment, I have been thinking about putting Return on Skyknight, but I'll give that a rest for now. When I do, I'm going to have to do some cycling with the Soothe Bell to make him more friendly with me. I'm very happy about the evolution of Korma, and I think I'll be a lot less afraid of sending her into fights as I have been. I'm excited about the progress of Tsuchinoko, too, who currently has Poison Fang and Poison Tail - I couldn't decide which to have and realised I didn't really need Wrap. Tsuchinoko really is pretty strong (the second-highest attack stat, right after Korma). As of yet, I don't have a plan for Winona. I am worried about her Altaria, which I remember has Earthquake. I'll have to give it some more thought as I travel to Fortree City.

Puddles

Level 34

-Surf
-Growl
-Mud Shot
-Take Down

Tsuchinoko

Level 34
Nature: Impish
Ability: Shed Skin

-Crunch
-Screech
-Poison Tail
-Poison Fang

Steele

Level 34

-Bite
-Swagger
-Sand-Attack
-Tackle

Korma

Level 34
Ability: Magma Armour

-Ember
-Amnesia
-Rock Slide
-Magnitude

Skyknight

Level 34

-Wing Attack
-Double Team
-Focus Energy
-Quick Attack

Crusher

Level 33
Ability: Sturdy

-Metal Claw
-Iron Defense
-Mud-Slap
-Iron Tail

Hours: 39:06

• “Rotatia” the female Spinda
  • “Smack” the female Machop
  • “Pebble” the female Sandshrew
  • “Limestone” the male Lileep
  • "Bunny" the male Marill
  • "Breeze" the female Swablu
  • "Soba" the female Magikarp
  • "Elastic" the female Wailmer
  • "Toothache" the male Carvanha
  • “Steak” the female shiny Machop
Attempt 1:
Mosaic

Monsoon

Fern

Lucky

Decaf

Dawn

Satin

Neon

Attempt 2:
Polly

Resonance

I was very excited to get to use you more Resonance, but sadly, it wasn't to be. I'm sorry that you had to die at the hands of that cruel Golbat. I know that you fought hard for Birdnado, and now you can rest easy. I'll miss not being able to use Loudred in this challenge, and I hope you are at peace now.

Birdnado

Here lies Birdnao, Purveyor of Feathered Rage. You were intent on destroying anything that came into your path, and while you had your fair share of victories, this time you were faced with an opponent you couldn't defeat. I hope that now, you can rest knowing that the battle is over, there's no need to fight any longer. Goodbye, Birdnado.

Fortune

I was continually impressed by you, Fortune. You helped Puddles out with many gym fights, and you definitely helped with this one. I'm just sorry it didn't turn out like it should have, and it's my fault. You and Puddles were best friends, and you two worked amazingly together, and I know Puddles will miss you too. I just hope you're picking up Full Restores on the other side now, with your friend Resonance.

Last edited:

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
Phew, you definitely had some guts in that battle against Norman, using a 75% accuracy move to counter a 4x effective Focus Punch from Slaking. ^^'
Congrats on beating Norman though, I'm glad it went well!