Quoake

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 00 - Rules

Welcome, to the first part of my new challenge run. After completing my Diamond Nuzlocke, I wanted to try to do a challenge that would be harder for me: I think that will make it even more fun for me to try and complete. I recently purchased Pokémon Silver, and after getting some input from fellow Marrilanders, I have decided that I will be playing a Wedlocke on Pokémon Silver. The base rules of a Wedlocke are as follows:

1. Fainted Pokémon are considered dead and must be released/permanently boxed.
  2. I may only catch the first Pokémon I encounter in any route or area.
    • An exception to this rule is that I cannot catch a Pokémon I have already caught or if I have already caught a Pokémon from the same evolutionary line.
    • If I have less than 6 Pokémon, I cannot catch a Pokémon of the same gender as the unpaired Pokémon in my party. I also cannot catch any genderless Pokémon.
    • Shiny Pokémon can be instantly caught due to their rarity and function as a bonus encounter.
    • Gift Pokémon that have been given to the player do not count as taking up the encounter of the area where they were received.
  3. All Pokémon must be nicknamed. This is just to create a stronger bond between me and my Pokémon.
  4. Pokémon of opposite genders are partnered into pairs and may only fight in pairs. They cannot switch between other pairs in a battle unless forcibly switched.
  5. Pokémon in the party cannot be deposited in the PC unless they are dead.
I have also thought up some extra rules that I think will make this challenge a bit more interesting than just a vanilla Wedlocke. The extra rules are as follows:

1. I may only use only two healing items per battle per pair. If one pair faints and I have to use another pair in a battle, the healing items used up reset.
  2. I must not train my Pokémon to a higher level than the highest-level-Pokémon of the upcoming gym leader or else the Pokémon cannot be used until the limit is increased. The limits are as follows:
  • Falkner - 9
  • Bugsy - 16
  • Whitney - 20
  • Morty - 25
  • Chuck - 30
  • Pryce - 31
  • Jasmine - 35
  • Clair - 40
  • Lance - 50

I hope you enjoy this challenge! The first part should come out in just a little while, so I hope you are excited to follow this journey with me. That's all for now, stay tuned for more updates! :happyazurill:

Last edited:

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Well, best of luck with this! Johto is held in easy regard but maybe you’ll be proven wrong :P Especially since grinding sucks here… We'll find out!

Quoake

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 01 - Dawn of a New Adventure

• Booted up the game and named my character Sol
  • Went to Elm’s Pokémon lab to choose my first Pokémon
  • The random number generator I used to pick my starter gave me a “2”, so I chose Cyndaquil
  • Named the female Cyndaquil “Caldera”
  • Went through Route 29 to Cherrygrove City
    • Until I get Pokéballs, none of the wild Pokémon I fight count as my encounter
  • Arrived at Cherrygrove City and did some shopping
  • Went north to Mr. Pokémon’s house and received the Mystery Egg
  • Returned to Cherrygrove City and challenged ??? to a battle
    • Caldera and his Totodile had a back and forth with Tackle and Scratch and I had to use a Potion to heal before beating him
  • Returned to NewBark Town and named the rival “Luna”
  • Returned to Route 29 and learned how to catch Pokémon from Dude
  • On Route 29, caught “Button” the male Sentret and paired him with Caldera
  • On Route 30, caught “Cheddar” the female Rattata
  • One Route 46, caught “Crumble” the male Geodude and paired him with Cheddar
  • On Route 29, trained my team a bit
  • On Route 31, caught “Parsley” the male Bellsprout
  • In Dark Cave, caught “Megabat” the female Zubat and paired her with Parsley
  • Arrived in Violet City and defeated the gym trainers
  • Trained a bit on Route 31
While this part was pretty uneventful, that's how most first episodes go, isn't it? Next time I'll battle Falkner with one of my new pairs, who I'm all excited about using. Megabat has been hard to train, but I'm sure she'll be very useful. Thank you everyone who has given nice encouraging comments! I hope you will enjoy this challenge as much as I will! :catsmileazurill:

Player: Sol
Money: 244
Badges: N/A

Caldera

Level 8
Item: None

Stats:
Atk: 13​
Def: 14​
Sp.A: 15​
Sp.D: 13​
Spe: 17​
Moves:
  • Tackle
  • Leer
  • Smokescreen
Button

Level 8

Stats:
Atk: 14​
Def: 12​
Sp.A: 11​
Sp.D: 12​
Spe: 10​
Moves:
  • Tackle
  • Defense Curl
Cheddar

Level 9

Stats:
Atk: 16​
Def: 13​
Spe: 19​
Moves:
  • Quick Attack
  • Tail Whip
  • Tackle
Crumble

Level 9

Stats:
Atk: 22​
Def: 24​
Sp.A: 12​
Spe: 9​
Moves:
  • Tackle
  • Defense Curl
Parsley

Level 8

Stats:
Atk: 19​
Sp.A: 16​
Sp.D: 10​
Spe: 12​
Moves:
  • Vine Whip
  • Growth
Megabat

Level 9

Stats:
Atk: 14​
Sp.D: 13​
Spe: 16​
Moves:
  • Leech Life
  • Supersonic

N/A

N/A

Last edited:

Quoake

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 02 - Zephyr Badge and Beyond

@JustCallMeBB: good luck on your run
Thank you! I'll try my hardest! :happyazurill:

@Pendraflare: Oh wow, you actually got a female starter. Hoping that Falkner won't be too tough, seeing as his Pidgeotto has Mud-Slap! Hm...
It was a pleasant little surprise having a female starter, and I'm really glad I got Cyndaquil. I also hope you enjoy reading about my gym-battle. I didn't get the chance to look at your comment before attempting because I play ahead a bit.

@Ashscot: Nice, nice. Like @Pendraflare said above me, good luck with Falkner! I noticed that each of your pairs has at least one Poke that will have a little bit of trouble. I'm sure you can pull through though!
Thanks for the wishes! If I had to guess, I would think you were talking about Megabat, Cheddar and Button? I do know what you mean, but I'm sure they'll prove to be amazing members of the team.

• Trained my Pokémon up to level 9
  • Challenged Falkner to a battle
    • I led with Crumble against Pidgey
    • Pidgey used Mud-Slap for little damage a few times and I used Tackle, but my accuracy began to decrease
    • Crumble managed to land a critical-hit Tackle, but was low-health, so I switched into Cheddar against Pidgeotto
    • Cheddar used Quick Attack and was hit by gust for about the same damage
    • After two turns, I used ½ of my healing items (potion) on Crumble
    • Cheddar took a Gust and I switched back to Crumble
    • Crumble used Tackle a few times, but Mud-Slap kept lowering his accuracy causing him to miss and I had to use my second and final healing-item
    • Crumble was on 2 HP and had to knock out Pidgeotto with Tackle, but missed and was killed by Mud-Slap
    • Cheddar avenged Crumble’s death with Quick Attack and Falkner was defeated
  • Received the Zephyr Badge
  • Entered Sprout Tower
  • In Sprout Tower, caught “Noir” the Gastly and paired him with Cheddar
  • Defeated all of the sages
  • In Violet City, hatched “Quiche” the Togepi
  • Went south to Route 32
  • Gave the Miracle Seed to Parsley
  • On Route 32, caught “Selena” the female Ekans
  • Went through Union Cave
  • On Route 33, caught “Hayfever” the female Hoppip
  • Reached Azalea Town
  • In Slowpoke Well, caught “Sleepy” the male Slowpoke
  • In Ilex Forest, caught “Dijon” the Weedle
  • Trained my Pokémon to level 13
I'm upset about the death of Crumble, but I know, in that moment there was nothing else I could do, or else Cheddar would have also died. The gym battle taught me that I need to be better prepared for fight, with berries equipped and more thought-out strategy. I personally didn't know Falkner used Mud-Slap, so I couldn't have guessed I was going to deal with such serious accuracy issues, but I'm not too angry with how it turned out. I'm sure that having three healing items per pair would have saved Crumble too, but I'm satisfied with the challenge provided with only two items. Noir the Gastly is a good replacement however, and has incredible special-attack, despite not yet having any special moves; it will be something to keep in mind. Megabat also became so much more useful when she learned Bite, and when I got to Azalea Town, training against Slowpoke in the well was so efficient with her. I'm hoping I can be more prepared and can carry the team through the fight with Bugsy without any more deaths. Please stay tuned for the next part!

Money: 3031
Badges:

Caldera

Level 13

Stats:
Atk: 19
Def: 20
Sp.A: 22
Sp.D: 19
Spe: 25
Moves:
  • Ember
  • Leer
  • Smokescreen
  • Tackle
Button

Level 13

Stats:
Atk: 21
Def: 18
Sp.A: 15
Sp.D: 18
Spe: 15
Moves:
  • Quick Attack
  • Defense Curl
  • Tackle
Cheddar

Level 13

Stats:
Def: 16
Sp.A: 14
Sp.D: 16
Spe: 26
Moves:
  • Quick Attack
  • Tail Whip
  • Tackle
  • Hyper Fang
Noir

Level 13

Stats:
Atk: 18
Def: 14
Sp.A: 32
Sp.D: 16
Spe: 29
Moves:
  • Lick
  • Hypnosis
  • Spite
  • Mean Look
Parsley

Level 13

Stats:
Atk: 28
Def: 18
Sp.A: 23
Sp.D: 23
Spe: 17
Moves:
  • Vine Whip
  • Growth
  • Wrap
Megabat

Level 13

Stats:
Atk: 19
Def: 15
Sp.A: 14
Sp.D: 17
Spe: 21
Moves:
  • Bite
  • Supersonic
  • Leech Life

• "Quiche" the Togepi
  • "Selena" the Ekans
  • "Hayfever" the Hoppip
  • "Sleepy" the Slowpoke
  • "Dijon" the Weedle

Crumble

Crumble, to me, you seemed to be an earnest Pokémon who wanted to do right by Cheddar. Even though you seemed quiet and thoughtful, I knew you worked as hard as you could for the benefit of the team. I'm just so sorry it had to end this way. I'll miss you so much Crumble.

Last edited:

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Oh no! A death so soon in your journey ;;
But at least you got through the gym, good luck going forward!

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Ouch, I really do feel your pain with Crumble - I had trouble with Falkner in my Gold Wedlocke because of Mud-Slap as well. Caldera will serve you well with Bugsy, and I don't believe it's long until Button evolves either which is a bonus.

Whitney could be a problem, I'm not sure if Parsley would learn a powder move early enough but if so, potentially you could go down that route. Otherwise, I think you have at least one mon on your team to cover the rest of the Gym Leaders aside from Clair, but then she's right at the end anyway.

Best of luck with the next part!

Quoake

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 03 - Showdown in Azalea Town

@DeepSeaPrincess: Oh no! A death so soon in your journey ;; But at least you got through the gym, good luck going forward!
Thank you! I'm upset about Crumble too, but I'm even more determined now to see this challenge through.

@Ashscot: Sorry to hear about Crumble. His sacrifice was for naught! May he always be remembered for helping you win that first badge.
He won't be forgotten soon. If it weren't for him, Cheddar would have died in that battle.

@AuburnEnigma: Ouch, I really do feel your pain with Crumble - I had trouble with Falkner in my Gold Wedlocke because of Mud-Slap as well. Caldera will serve you well with Bugsy, and I don't believe it's long until Button evolves either which is a bonus.

Whitney could be a problem, I'm not sure if Parsley would learn a powder move early enough but if so, potentially you could go down that route. Otherwise, I think you have at least one mon on your team to cover the rest of the Gym Leaders aside from Clair, but then she's right at the end anyway.

Best of luck with the next part!
Thanks for the wishes! I really am going to rely on Caldera for Bugsy, seeing as I don't have any flying types. I think Parsley might be a pretty good idea for Whitney, especially with Poisonpowder or a different status-inflicting move. I'm very excited to see how the rest of the challenge will go.

• Took on Team Rocket in Slowpoke Well
  • In Azalea Town, challenged Luna to a battle
    • I led with Noir against his Gastly
    • I managed to paralyse him quickly with Lick and managed to trigger paralysis and avoid Hypnosis so I could knock him out
    • Against Zubat, I switched into Cheddar and got a 2HKO with Hyper Fang
    • Against Croconaw, I kept out Cheddar because I was afraid of it using Bite against Noir
    • I made it flinch once when I used Hyper Fang twice, but after being hit by a Water Gun, I had to use a Potion to heal Cheddar
    • I used Hyper Fang again and was brought down to 2HP
    • I didn’t want Noir to be hit with Bite, so I healed Cheddar again with my last healing item (potion)
    • Unfortunately, Croconaw got a critical-hit Water Gun and Cheddar was killed
    • Noir was sent out and used Lick which did a tiny amount of damage
    • I used it again and Croconaw was paralysed, but still got another Water Gun off that brought Noir to 2HP
    • I had to rely on paralysis, but Croconaw was not paralysed and Lick was not enough to finish it off, and Croconaw killed Noir with a Water Gun
    • I sent in Parsley to finish him off with Vine Whip, and Luna was defeated
  • Withdrew “Sleepy” and Hayfever from the PC and paired them together
  • Spent some time training around Azalea Town
  • Gave the Charcoal to Caldera
  • Defeated the trainers in Azalea Gym
  • Caldera evolved into Quilava
  • Button evolved into Furret
  • Trained my Pokémon to level 15
  • Gave Button a Berry
I'm a little shaken with the fact that I already have three deaths, but I know I could have worked harder to prevent them. I completely forgot about the fight with the rival that I was thrown into, and that was my mistake. In the future, I'm going to need to equip berries more often in anticipation of tough fights. If I had allowed three healing items, I know Cheddar and Noir would have lived, but there were also other things I could have done to prevent their deaths. I decided to use Sleepy and Hayfever because Sleepy can become a pretty good defensive Pokémon and I've never given Hoppip much of a chance before. Training them was tough, but I'm sure they'll impress me down the road. Next time, I'm going to fight Bugsy, and maybe I'll go through Ilex Forest if things don't go too south.

Money: 3215
Badges:

Caldera

Level 15
Item: Charcoal

Stats:
Atk: 25
Def: 28
Sp.A: 31
Sp.D: 26
Spe: 33
Moves:
  • Ember
  • Leer
  • Smokescreen
  • Tackle
Button

Level 15
Item: Berry

Stats:
Atk: 33
Def: 29
Sp.A: 20
Spe: 38
Moves:
  • Quick Attack
  • Defense Curl
  • Tackle
Sleepy

Level 15

Stats:
Atk: 29
Def: 27
Sp.A: 20
Sp.D: 20
Spe: 12
Moves:
  • Tackle
  • Curse
  • Growl
  • Water Gun
Hayfever

Level 15

Stats:
Atk: 18
Def: 22
Sp.A: 17
Spe: 21
Moves:
  • Tackle
  • Synthesis
  • Tail Whip
  • Poisonpowder
Parsley

Level 15
Item: Miracle Seed

Stats:
Atk: 32
Sp.A: 26
Sp.D: 14
Spe: 19
Moves:
  • Vine Whip
  • Growth
  • Wrap
  • Sleep Powder
Megabat

Level 15

Stats:
Def: 17
Sp.A: 16
Sp.D: 19
Spe: 24
Moves:
  • Bite
  • Supersonic
  • Leech Life

• "Quiche" the Togepi
  • "Selena" the Ekans
  • "Dijon" the Weedle

Crumble

Crumble, to me, you seemed to be an earnest Pokémon who wanted to do right by Cheddar. Even though you seemed quiet and thoughtful, I knew you worked as hard as you could for the benefit of the team. I'm just so sorry it had to end this way. I'll miss you so much Crumble.

Cheddar

Cheddar, you gave me the impression of being a true star on the team. I could see you getting stronger and stronger, and I imagined you being excited about your strength and wanting to be strong for Crumble and for Noir. Unfortunately, you didn't get to shine because of my carelessness. I'm going to miss you very much.

Noir

Noir, you were always an interesting Pokémon to me. I couldn't wait to see you get stronger and stronger and grow alongside Cheddar. I like to think maybe Cheddar was the first Pokémon to understand you. While you helped me bulldoze sprout tower, you didn't get to go all the way to the end. I hope that you can rest in peace yet again.

Last edited:

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Jeez the AI is not being kind at the moment :( it's really sad that Cheddar and Noir are now gone too, that's 3 Gen 1 Pokes biting the dust. Hopefully your new pairing will work out for you (although I must admit, having used a Hoppip in my vanilla Crystal playthrough, you will need to be patient as the movepool isn't great - I'm at the point where I'm trying to catch Suicune, and my Jumpluff is still at the Poisonpowder + Tackle stage, I'm thinking a TM might be needed for me to keep it around).

Fingers crossed that the fight with Bugsy goes ok - iirc it's only the Scyther that you really need to watch out for, but if you can get through his other Pokes quite speedily then you should be fine :)

Lorekeeper

Rookie Trainer
Wow 3 deaths so quickly! I hope things go better from now on. I am cheering for Caldera! I love the cyndaquil line. Funny story, I named my cyndaquil in my very first crystal play through Flam. I was a terrible speller in elementary school so I didn't realize Flame had and e. Spent years telling people I named it after a drum move instead.

Quoake

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 04 - Battling Bugsy

@AuburnEnigma: Jeez the AI is not being kind at the moment :( it's really sad that Cheddar and Noir are now gone too, that's 3 Gen 1 Pokes biting the dust. Hopefully your new pairing will work out for you (although I must admit, having used a Hoppip in my vanilla Crystal playthrough, you will need to be patient as the movepool isn't great - I'm at the point where I'm trying to catch Suicune, and my Jumpluff is still at the Poisonpowder + Tackle stage, I'm thinking a TM might be needed for me to keep it around).

Fingers crossed that the fight with Bugsy goes ok - iirc it's only the Scyther that you really need to watch out for, but if you can get through his other Pokes quite speedily then you should be fine :)
Thanks for the wishes! I totally know what you mean about Hoppip. Investing in some TMs would probably help both of us immensely (good luck with Suicine :P)

@Lorekeeper: Wow 3 deaths so quickly! I hope things go better from now on. I am cheering for Caldera! I love the cyndaquil line. Funny story, I named my cyndaquil in my very first crystal play through Flam. I was a terrible speller in elementary school so I didn't realize Flame had and e. Spent years telling people I named it after a drum move instead.
I absolutely love Caldera and the Cyndaquil line and I think your Cyndaquil story is so cute. :lolazurill:

@Ashscot: Ah man, sorry to hear about Cheddar and Noir. I felt like those two could have definitely gone far together.

Good luck with Bugsy though!
Thanks! I'm pretty disappointed about their deaths but I'm just going to have to learn from them and keep going. I'll be working much harder so that I can prevent more of this from happening in the future.

• Challenged Bugsy to a battle
    • I led with Caldera against Metapod and used Ember which got a OHKO
    • I stayed out against Scyther and used Smokescreen before using Ember
    • Scyther was burned and missed a few attacks
    • I switched Button in against Kakuna
    • Button took it out in three turns with Quick Attack, and Bugsy was defeated
  • Received the Hive Badge
  • Taught Cut to Button
  • Made it through Ilex Forest
  • On Route 34, caught “Calculus” the female Drowzee
  • Reached Goldenrod City
  • Got Megabat a haircut
  • On Route 35, caught “Angel” the female Pidgey
  • In the National Park, caught “Truffle” the male Paras
  • Gave the Quick Claw to Sleepy
  • On Route 36, caught “Pearwood” the female Hoothoot
  • Hayfever evolved into Skiploom
I'm glad that this time, a major battle went well for me. Caldera was amazing in this gym. Doing things around Goldenrod City was stressful however, especially battling the trainers around the National Park, who were so tough at times I was afraid I would have more deaths. Luckily, my Pokémon survived these battles, though I understand some of them are going to need some intensive training. Next time, I'm going to train for Whitney and hopefully have that Gym Battle. My uploading/playing schedule may become a bit more random for a while since I've taken up more hours at work, and I hope everyone understands I need to manage my time in such a way that I have to take this challenge slower. Thank you for understanding and I'll see you next time!

Money: 8569
Badges:

Caldera

Level 18

Stats:
Def: 32
Sp.A: 36
Sp.D: 31
Spe: 39
Moves:
  • Ember
  • Leer
  • Smokescreen
  • Tackle
Button

Level 18

Stats:
Atk: 38
Def: 34
Sp.D: 27
Spe: 44
Moves:
  • Quick Attack
  • Defense Curl
  • Tackle
  • Cut
Sleepy

Level 18
Item: Quick Claw

Stats:
Atk: 34
Def: 31
Spe: 13
Moves:
  • Water Gun
  • Curse
  • Growl
  • Tackle
Hayfever

Level 18

Stats:
Atk: 24
Def: 30
Sp.A: 24
Sp.D: 31
Spe: 35
Moves:
  • Tackle
  • Synthesis
  • Sleep Powder
  • Poisonpowder
Parsley

Level 18

Stats:
Def: 23
Sp.D: 17
Spe: 22
Moves:
  • Vine Whip
  • Growth
  • Poisonpowder
  • Sleep Powder
Megabat

Level 18

Stats:
Atk: 25
Sp.A: 19
Sp.D: 22
Spe: 28
Moves:
  • Bite
  • Supersonic
  • Leech Life

• "Quiche" the male Togepi
  • "Selena" the female Ekans
  • "Dijon" the male Weedle
  • "Calculus" female the Drowzee
  • "Angel" the female Pidgey
  • "Truffle" the male Paras
  • "Pearwood" the female Hoothoot

Crumble

Cheddar

Cheddar, you gave me the impression of being a true star on the team. I could see you getting stronger and stronger, and I imagined you being excited about your strength and wanting to be strong for Crumble and for Noir. Unfortunately, you didn't get to shine because of my carelessness. I'm going to miss you very much.

Noir

Noir, you were always an interesting Pokémon to me. I couldn't wait to see you get stronger and stronger and grow alongside Cheddar. I like to think maybe Cheddar was the first Pokémon to understand you. While you helped me bulldoze sprout tower, you didn't get to go all the way to the end. I hope that you can rest in peace yet again.

Last edited:

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
Good job with Bugsy, looks like you had an easy time of it which makes a nice change for you :p

Whitney's going to be a tough one, at the moment I'd say Parsley and Megabat are probably your best bet, but Sleepy and Hayfever aren't a bad option either (Parsley could do more than Hayfever, whilst Sleepy is likely to fare better than Megabat; you really could go either way there). Caldera and Button would have to be on the bench though.

Actually I've just had a thought - doesn't the Miltank have Rollout? If so, then potentially Sleepy and Hayfever with Hayfever being used to set up status and then Sleepy coming in to attack might be a way around that somewhat. I think I had to employ a similar strategy against her when I battled her on Crystal.

Perfectly understandable re update delays - I know full well how much time work can take up :) just make sure you still have a good balance, as we can always wait if you need more time before you update. Hope the extra hours work well for you though :)

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
Yeah. Witney will be a painful battle. You may lose a Pokemon or two to her.
@AuburnEnigma: Yes, I believe it does have Rollout *checks Serebii* yup! it does!

Pendraflare

Resident Jawn
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Scott, Pendra
Time Zone
EST
Props on making it through Bugsy safely, but seems like Whitney is really gonna suck. Dx I don't remember if Protect is a buyable TM in this game (I know it is in HGSS) but that might help a bit to fend off Rollout...? I don't know, that Gym does just suck.

Quoake

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 05 - Trials of Whitney

@AuburnEnigma: Good job with Bugsy, looks like you had an easy time of it which makes a nice change for you :p

Whitney's going to be a tough one, at the moment I'd say Parsley and Megabat are probably your best bet, but Sleepy and Hayfever aren't a bad option either (Parsley could do more than Hayfever, whilst Sleepy is likely to fare better than Megabat; you really could go either way there). Caldera and Button would have to be on the bench though.

Actually I've just had a thought - doesn't the Miltank have Rollout? If so, then potentially Sleepy and Hayfever with Hayfever being used to set up status and then Sleepy coming in to attack might be a way around that somewhat. I think I had to employ a similar strategy against her when I battled her on Crystal.

Perfectly understandable re update delays - I know full well how much time work can take up :) just make sure you still have a good balance, as we can always wait if you need more time before you update. Hope the extra hours work well for you though :)
Thanks for understanding! And it's true; Whitney has a reputation for being horribly tough, but your strategies are the ones I thought to employ in the battle.

@Greninjaman: Yeah. Witney will be a painful battle. You may lose a Pokemon or two to her.
I'm pretty afraid, but I'll try my best. And yep, I know all too much about Rollout from past playthroughs... :/

@Pendraflare: Props on making it through Bugsy safely, but seems like Whitney is really gonna suck. Dx I don't remember if Protect is a buyable TM in this game (I know it is in HGSS) but that might help a bit to fend off Rollout...? I don't know, that Gym does just suck.
Oh, the battle with Whitney is always pretty tough, but I thought it out pretty well, even to get around Rollout.

• Trained my Pokémon to level 20
  • Gave a Berry to Megabat
  • Challenged Whitney to a battle
    • I led with Megabat against Clefairy and used Confuse Ray
    • Clefairy flinched from bite and hit itself a few times
    • Clefairy used Metronome and used Rest and I used Bite a few times
    • Clefairy woke up at 1/3 of its health and used Double Slap
    • I used Confuse Ray and it hit itself
    • I used Bite and Clefairy finished itself off by hitting itself in Confusion
    • I switched into Parsley against Miltank
    • I was hit by Attract but managed to use Sleep Powder
    • Parsley managed to hit with Vine Whip most turns Miltank was Asleep
    • Miltank began using Rollout but Parsley was too infatuated to use Sleep Powder
    • Miltank was about to kill Parsley with Rollout but missed, however Parsley was too infatuated to attack
    • I switched into Megabat who was hit by stomp and had to eat a Berry
    • Megabat failed to out-speed it and was killed by Stomp
    • Parsley was also killed by Miltank’s Stomp
    • I sent out Caldera and to use Ember, but Miltank used Milk Drink
    • I switched into Button and was hit by Rollout
    • I used Cut and took another Rollout
    • I used Cut and Button was brought down to low-health
    • Button used Quick Attack and Miltank was knocked out, and Whitney defeated
  • Received the Plain Badge
  • Gave the Miracle Seed to Hayfever
  • Withdrew Angel the female Pidgey and Quiche the male Togepi from the PC and paired them together
  • Angel evolved into Pidgeotto
  • In Azalea Town, caught “Eggspurt” the female Exeggcute
  • Defeated Sudowoodo
  • On Route 37, caught “Holly Day” the female Stantler
  • Reached Ecruteak City
I'm very sad about the deaths of Parsley and Megabat, who always seemed like aces in my party. I was really hoping they would go farther and at least get to evolve, but it seems like my luck run out. I'm looking forward to the rest of the challenge though. The reason I paired Pidgey and Togepi is, even though they share types, Pidgey is pretty offensive and Togepi is nice and defensive, so I feel like they will balance each-other out nicely. Thank you everyone for bearing with my schedule; work has been pretty tough lately, so thanks for understanding!

Money: 8313
Badges:

Caldera

Level 20

Stats:
Atk: 33
Def: 36
Sp.A: 40
Sp.D: 34
Spe: 43
Moves:
  • Ember
  • Leer
  • Smokescreen
  • Tackle
Button

Level 20

Stats:
Atk: 42
Def: 38
Sp.A: 25
Sp.D: 29
Spe: 49
Moves:
  • Quick Attack
  • Defense Curl
  • Tackle
  • Cut
Sleepy

Level 20

Stats:
Def: 35
Sp.D: 26
Spe: 15
Moves:
  • Water Gun
  • Curse
  • Confusion
  • Tackle
Hayfever

Level 20

Stats:
Atk: 27
Def: 33
Spe: 39
Moves:
  • Tackle
  • Synthesis
  • Sleep Powder
  • Poisonpowder
Quiche

Level 18

Stats:
Atk: 17
Def: 33
Spe: 18
Moves:
  • Headbutt
  • Charm
  • Sweet Kiss
  • Metronome
Angel

Level 18

Stats:
Def: 30
Sp.D: 25
Spe: 31
Moves:
  • Quick Attack
  • Sand-Attack
  • Gust
  • Tackle

• "Eggspurt" the female Exeggcute
  • "Holly Day" the female Stantler

Crumble

Cheddar

Noir

Parsley

Parsley, even though you made some mistakes, especially at the end, I know that you and Megabat cared deeply about each-other. I felt you were confused easily, so I hope you can rest peacefully without worry now. I'm sorry Parsley.

Megabat

Megabat, you used all of your strength to try and beat that Miltank. I'm just so sorry it wasn't enough to save you. I'm going to miss my sweet little bat. Rest in peace with Parsley.

Last edited:

Greninjaman

Aquatic Ninja Assassin
*reads post* knew that would happen. Crobat is a nice Pokémon. Shame it went down.

Feather32

Junior Trainer
I swear Zubats are hard to keep alive in any kind of locke challenges. It is a shame that Megabat and Parsley didn't get to evolve, but that battle could've gone a lot worse.

Quoake

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
Part 06 - Fire and Ash

@Greninjaman: reads post knew that would happen. Crobat is a nice Pokémon. Shame it went down.
Yeah, I'm pretty sad about it. Crobat would have been so good but sometimes things like this just happen. Let's see if I find a shiny Zubat before the challenge is over :cheekyazurill:

@Feather32: I swear Zubats are hard to keep alive in any kind of locke challenges. It is a shame that Megabat and Parsley didn't get to evolve, but that battle could've gone a lot worse.
You're right about the possibility of the battle being worse. I feel like I haven't given Button enough credit for how he finishes up these fights and avenges his comrades.

@Ashscot: Wow, a lot has happened since I've last read your posts. Congratulations on getting your Gym Badges, though Whitney's did come at a cost. I know that fight had to be stressful. Sorry to see Parsley and Megabat go. I'm sure that Angel and Quiche will avenge their fallen comrades.
Thanks for the congrats! That fight was pretty tense; I'm constantly being reminded that I chose to do a challenge that was pretty tricky for me. I hope that luck favours me and I don't have too many more deaths. It's sad saying goodbye to Pokémon who have been with me since the beginning. :cryingazurill:

• Went to the dance Theatre and defeated the Kimono Girls
  • Taught Surf to Sleepy
  • In Mount Mortar, caught “Steak” the male Machop
  • On Route 38, caught “Mary Moo” the female Miltank
  • On Route 39, caught “Scratchie” the female Meowth
  • Reached Olivine City
  • In Olivine City, caught “Wrench” the male Krabby
  • In Ecruteak City, caught “N’ Chips” the female Magikarp
  • In New Bark Town, caught “Baroque” the male Shellder
  • In Cherrygrove City, caught “Coraline” the female Corsola
  • In Violet City, caught “Sponge” the female Poliwag
  • Entered the Burnt Tower
  • Challenged Luna to a battle
    • I led with Quiche against Haunter and used Charm after being afflicted by Curse
    • I switched into Angel and was hit by Mean Look
    • Haunter used Curse, knocking itself out
    • I switched into Quiche against Magnemite
    • I was hit by Supersonic and used Sweet Kiss
    • I managed to use a few Headbutts but had to use my two healing items because of the damage of Sonicboom
    • Quiche was confused again and managed to knock Magnemite out on 2 HP
    • I switched into Angel against Zubat
    • I managed to use two Quick Attacks but was hit by Confuse Ray
    • Angel hit herself twice and was hit by Bite twice before knocking out Zubat
    • Croconaw took out Angel with Water Gun and she was killed, and the same happened to Quiche
    • I switched into Button and defeated it with a few Quick Attacks, and Luna was defeated
  • Withdrew “Wrench” the male Krabby and “Mary Moo” the female Miltank and paired them together
  • In Burnt Tower, caught “Oozy Suzy” the Koffing
  • Trained my Pokémon to level 25
I'm upset about the loss of Angel and Quiche, but I know that there was nothing else I could have done. I was also absent-mindedly ambushed again by Silver so that didn't help. I did a bit of back-tracking a Pokémon catching and I'm really looking forward to using Wrench and Mary Moo who have some fantastic stats. When I return to this adventure, I will take on Morty. I am still lacking a strategy however, so this will be tough...

Money: 26098
Badges:

Caldera

Level 25

Stats:
Atk: 40
Def: 45
Sp.A: 50
Sp.D: 42
Spe: 54
Moves:
  • Ember
  • Leer
  • Smokescreen
  • Rock Smash
Button

Level 25

Stats:
Atk: 53
Def: 47
Sp.D: 36
Spe: 61
Moves:
  • Quick Attack
  • Defense Curl
  • Tackle
  • Cut
Sleepy

Level 25

Stats:
Atk: 47
Def: 43
Sp.A: 32
Sp.D: 32
Spe: 18
Moves:
  • Surf
  • Curse
  • Confusion
  • Tackle
Hayfever

Level 25

Stats:
Atk: 34
Def: 41
Sp.A: 33
Sp.D: 43
Spe: 49
Moves:
  • Tackle
  • Synthesis
  • Sleep Powder
  • Poisonpowder
Wrench

Level 25

Stats:
Atk: 64
Def: 58
Sp.D: 25
Spe: 38
Moves:
  • Stomp
  • Leer
  • Bubble
  • Harden
Mary Moo

Level 25

Stats:
Atk: 55
Def: 65
Sp.A: 36
Sp.D: 51
Spe: 62
Moves:
  • Headbutt
  • Milk Drink
  • Defense Curl
  • Stomp

• "Eggspurt" the female Exeggcute
  • "Holly Day" the female Stantler
  • "Baroque" the male Shellder
  • "Steak" the male Machop
  • "Scratchie" the female Meowth
  • "N Chips" the female Magikarp
  • "Coraline" the female Corsola
  • "Sponge" the female Poliwag
  • "Oozy Suzy" the female Koffing

Crumble

Cheddar

Noir

Parsley

Parsley, even though you made some mistakes, especially at the end, I know that you and Megabat cared deeply about each-other. I felt you were confused easily, so I hope you can rest peacefully without worry now. I'm sorry Parsley.

Megabat

Megabat, you used all of your strength to try and beat that Miltank. I'm just so sorry it wasn't enough to save you. I'm going to miss my sweet little bat. Rest in peace with Parsley.

Angel

Angel, you were a fantastically powerful Pokémon and a wonderful friend. You just couldn't take Croconaw on by yourself. I like to think you are still watching over the team members the way you did when you were still with us. We will miss you Angel.

Quiche

I'm sorry you never got to truly spread your wings and fly, but Quiche, you were always a valuable member of the team. Your Charm and Sweet Kiss made you an amazing team member and I'm going to miss you a lot. I hope you and Angel can rest easy together.

Last edited: