Rebooting weekly polls

Do you want weekly polls back on Marriland?

• Yes

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Biohazard

The Dark Serpent
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria
Time Zone
UTC +2
I've made this suggestion in the support channel on the Marriland server, but since this is a better place to do suggestions, I've made a thread for it.

Does anyone remember weekly polls when they were on Azurilland? If so, do you want to return them here on Marriland? If they return, they could get rebooted, so we would begin from poll #1.

If you don't want them here on Marriland, post why you don't like the idea.

Mystical

Dragon Spirit
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
On one hand, this may be a good idea since the people are diffferent from back then and opinions would also be different to what they are now. If this does get brought back, though, I'd suggest biweekly (once every two weeks) instead of weekly, that way people have more time to vote.

I personally didn't vote in many of these weekly polls and maybe wouldn't participate in most of them now because Pokemon as a franchise doesn't interest me as much anymore, and I only played two (now three if you count the Hunger Games Nuzlocke) Pokemon games, so I never felt like I had all the info needed to really make a vote besides "it's the only option I'm familiar with". But, if the polls do get brought back, I'd be interested to read people's preferences and opinions.

Marriland

Founder
AKA
Dev
Time Zone
CDT
This is actually something that I've been planning on bringing back to the Marriland website sometime after it launches, although it would be almost exclusively Pokémon-based and would be on a weekly basis. These weekly polls were very popular on the website from about 2005–2011 or so and it's a good way to get people to check back regularly. However, this implementation would not be connected to the forums since the site will have separate registration, so if the staff here are interested in having a separate set of polls, I'd recommend non-Pokémon polls because otherwise it's redundant with the rest of the site.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
I think it would be a cool idea to bring back the weekly poll, but not have it strictly be Pokemon based. I feel having them be about current events like the Super Bowl could also be good as a way to add diversity and not have it die out due to a lack of interesting topics.

Slix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
I was never involved during this, but it sounds like a fun idea! Pokémon or not, polls are always fun to get people chatting about a topic.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
This could be fun. I wasn't here during azurilland so I don't really know how that went, but having them be about things other than pokémon would probably be good because you can only create interesting polls about one game franchise for a finite amount of time before people lose interest.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I'm all for the idea of bringing back weekly or biweekly polls. I like the idea of branching out and diversifying from the Pokemon-based ones.

Franciscosta

Communist Duck
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Non-pokémon polls seem like a fun idea. Plus, with how many polls we did on the old forums, I doubt there are many more Pokémon related polls that could possibly be done.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
Non-Pokemon themed polls seem to be the way to go, since that will get more growth.

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Alright, it seems like there's interest for polls, specifically non-Pokemon ones, so I think bringing them back is the way to go. Where should we put them? We could make the threads in general chat and just pin the most recent one, or maybe make a subforum again? I think the first option is probably better but want more opinions on it.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
What would the downside of an archive be? Not everyone, but I imagine some people might want to look through a list of past polls now and again. Unless you instead pin a megathread with links to all of the past polls in it so they can be found that way or something.

(Or they could just be tagged and searchable, that works also.)

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
I'd be fine with a sub-forum for archive purposes.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
Late to the party here and I'm 100% more active on Discord than the forums, but I like the idea of weekly polls! Gonna drop some more thoughts below.

• I like the idea of non-Pokemon polls, but I think it'd be neat to have some that are Pokemon themed as well. I feel like the majority should be non-Pokemon themed, but I think every once in a while, having one that's Pokemon themed could be nice and stir up some discussion about a Pokemon related topic, whether it's about some of the old games or the newer stuff or even when new games are about to launch to help build hype. Based on what Franciscosta's saying, there were a lot of Pokemon polls on Azurilland, but like Isa said, there's a different crowd here than there was on Azuri so not all of us (myself included) really participated in the polls on Azuri. Again, I think the focus should be on non-Pokemon polls, but I don't think an occasional Pokemon poll would hurt.

• Isa suggested biweekly polls so people would have time to vote, but I think just leaving the polls open forever would be more convenient. Doesn't matter if they end up being weekly or biweekly, but if they're left open, there's no pressure to vote in that week (or two week) period in case someone's busy/doesn't have time/forgets/whatever the reason is.

Overall though, I like the idea!

Biohazard

The Dark Serpent
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria
Time Zone
UTC +2
Alright, it seems like there's interest for polls, specifically non-Pokemon ones, so I think bringing them back is the way to go. Where should we put them? We could make the threads in general chat and just pin the most recent one, or maybe make a subforum again? I think the first option is probably better but want more opinions on it.
I would like to see a subforum for weekly polls.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
weekly polls in their own subforum are rly awkward because they take topics away from the main forums. all the pokemon polls basically couldn't be remade in pokemon general. any non pokemon ones can't be remade in general chat or any related subforum. Hmm

seaturtle

Go Beyond! Plus Ultra!!
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Maybe they could be pinned in General Chat and then moved to an archive forum? That'd kinda kill off potential discussion since archived forums aren't open to be posted in though...

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
I'm kinda torn on if it should be a subforum or not tbh.

On one hand, it'd be nice to have it all in one place. If you miss a week or two for whatever reason, everything's in one place and you don't have to go digging for it if you really want to participate in every week's poll, or at least want to see what the previous week's poll was. You don't have to wonder where each week's poll is. I assume links will be posted on Discord, of course, but I'm also assuming not all of Marilland's users are on Discord either.

On the other hand, like Katey said, it takes away from the main forums since you can't recreate those polls elsewhere. They won't be in one place like they would be in a subforum, so people might actually have to look for them a bit, but it'll generate discussion all around the forums and not just in one specific area.

I guess I'm for no subforum?? I like the idea of promoting activity and discussion across the forums instead of in one subforum tbh.

Biohazard

The Dark Serpent
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wiktoria
Time Zone
UTC +2
I want a subforum obviously. I also want the polls to be both Pokémon and non-Pokémon related.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
League Champion
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I don't think it would be a problem to not have the polls be in their own subforum. We can leave them pinned for a time, as long as one poll is active, and then unpin them when the next one comes. If anyone is that dedicated to the polls, it won't be so much more of a hassle for them to search for old ones. But it does create a slight issue of what will happen if we decide to sprinkle in some Pokemon-based polls. Those would be slightly out of place in General Chat.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
if people really want to search for old polls, you guys could create a thread for them in in the MID. it could have links to old ones, like an archive, and maybe explain that you take recommendations for future polls (if you're still doing that). it would take a tiny bit of maintenance but if it's important to people maybe it's worth it. there are not a lot of threads in that forum anyway.