Remember the days...?

streganona

is just passing through
I have lots of great memories playing Pokémon games, but some of my favorite Pokémon moments happened at the computer, watching Marriland's online battle videos. Marriland's YellowSub actually inspired me to properly EV train for the first time and work hard to get my own Electivire. I also remember thinking all of the Pokémon Marriland had with Japanese names were extremely cool. I can't remember what actually happened, but I recall Marriland vs Disfunction battle as being one of the most thrilling Pokémon battles I have ever seen. I know those videos are long gone by now, but I can't help but reminisce sometimes.
Anyone else have fond memories of those days?

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i do miss the days when i first discovered marriland... i remember when he started that yellow playthrough as an april fools joke, but kept going because everyone loved it. so wholesome. being curled up in my chair watching those videos is such a cozy memory to me now

streganona

is just passing through
Yes! How could I forget the playthroughs? The Diamond playthrough was one of the things that really got me into Pokémon. I remember playing through my copy alongside the videos and rocking out to the instrumentals he added during the grind-y parts of the journey.

Diarkia124

Master of Jacks
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Andrew
IGN
Andrew
The forums used to be pretty good when it came to competitive battling. Everyone wanted to battle Marriland since he won almost every game that was uploaded including the infamous game against Untouchable. Battle imo is one of the things that led the forums to be extremely active in the Gen 4 years.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I really loved the Pokemon.Marriland.com Pokedex. I saved so many images and so much data from there, trying to memorise the type chart and Pokemon names. I liked the layout too.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Can't help but plug the good old Marriland Help Center here. It was my introduction to the community and I fondly remember having a ball discussing things on there. I also remember reading through the B/W walkthrough before the game even came out in the US because I was so excited.

Mirage

Pokemon Master
AKA
Drake, Mirage, Izzy
Time Zone
(UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
I'm with Brett here. I was always obsessed with stats, still am, and when I first discovered pokemon.marriland.com, it was the coolest Pokemon site there was. I knew what Serebii and Bulbapedia were, but to me, Marriland was the best one. My favorite part of Marriland will always be the Pokedex, and the Team Builder, and the IV/EV calculator thingy. It sucks that they were left behind. The Azurilland Pokedex is still online, but it's pretty much useless now. Anyways, I'll always have my memories, and I'll always be fond of them.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
If I remember correctly, Marriland cut out a bunch of Pokemon card artworks to use for forum avatars before the Curse buyout. It was a pretty great resource, ngl, and I haven't really seen anything like it since.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
If I remember correctly, Marriland cut out a bunch of Pokemon card artworks to use for forum avatars before the Curse buyout. It was a pretty great resource, ngl, and I haven't really seen anything like it since.
Serebii has an index of card artwork, though I'm not sure how updated it is: https://www.serebii.net/card/dex/
I miss the avatars on Marriland too.

Last edited: