XY Remembering Kalos! What was your team for X and Y?

Zed

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
CET
Remembering Pokemon X and Y!

It's been over 5 years since Pokemon X and Y came out and we embarked on our first journey through the beautiful Kalos region.
X and Y were the first Pokemon games released on the 3DS and since the 3DS era is about to end very soon, I thought it would be a good idea to look back on our first Pokemon adventure on this system.

What version did you get (X or Y) and why?

What Pokemon were on your team? What Pokemon was your MVP?
Any interesting or special memories you have from your first journey through Kalos?

Feel free to share whatever you want about you first X and Y playthrough!

I'll go first. :)

I picked Pokemon Y because I liked Yveltal a lot more than Xerneas, Yveltal is actually my favorite Legendary Pokemon now. I also liked mega Mewtwo Y and mega Charizard Y more than their X versions.

My team was Greninja, Talonflame, Venusaur (mega), Tyrantrum, Pangoro and Granbull.
My MVP was mega Venusaur as it was so bulky that it even took a Psychic from Diantha's mega Gardevoir before putting it to sleep and defeating it with two Sludge Bombs. Honorable mention goes to Talonflame as it was not only useful during the main story but also in the post game for hatching eggs and flying around the region, definitely the most useful Pokemon I ever had.

My best memory has to be finding a shiny Dusclops on my first visit to Kiloude City and the Safari Zone. Ghost Safari was the third one I entered and the second encounter was a beautiful red Dusclops, it turned out to have a good nature and 3 perfect IVs in HP, Def and SpDef. I EV trained him and made him a RestTalk Eviolite tank. I won a lot of battles with this Pokemon and made a lot of cool memories along the way that Dusclops eventually became one of my top 3 favorite Pokemon.

Thank you all for reading about my Kalos advanture and I am looking forward to reading about yours! :)

Last edited:

Beavie

Noodles' Trainer
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
My first playthrough in Kalos I had a team of:

Greninja
Mega Charizard
Gogoat
Heliolisk
Nidoking
And my team ace, and MVP, Sylveon.

For me, my best memory of that playthrough is using Sylveon to sweep the fighting gym in no time. It was probably the start of me liking that pokemon.

While nothing insane happened and most the battles were a breeze, probably the most interesting thing about this playthrough is that despite my starter choice, Greninja is probably one of my least fav pokemon now (well a specific form which I shall not speak of).

Reactions: Zed

Zed

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
CET
That's a cool looking team. I'll have to try using Gogoat and Heliolisk on one of my future playthroughs, always liked those two but never got around to actually using them.

While nothing insane happened and most the battles were a breeze, probably the most interesting thing about this playthrough is that despite my starter choice, Greninja is probably one of my least fav pokemon now (well a specific form which I shall not speak of).
And YES! Finally someone that understands lol, I feel the same way about Greninja. They ruined it for me with the Ash form (and even before that I liked Frogadier a lot more than Greninja, the design of Frogadier is just so much better imo). The Ash form should have stayed an anime thing and never be added to the games. It's so stupid...
I do still like Froakie and Frogadier tho, but Greninja is definitely in my Top 5 least favorite Pokemon.

Last edited:

Beavie

Noodles' Trainer
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
And YES! Finally someone that understands lol, I feel the same way about Greninja. They ruined it for me with the Ash form (tho even before that I liked Frogadier a lot more than Greninja, the design of Frogadier is just so much better imo). The Ash form should have stayed an anime thing and never be added to the games. It's so stupid...
I do still like Froakie and Frogadier tho, but Greninja is definitely in my Top 5 least favorite Pokemon.
My issues come with it being essentially Mega Rayquaza lite. Still has a big stat buff plus still being able to use an item, and the only thing keeping it from being banished to Ubers is the fact you need a kill to get the buff. However, considering people I see put Waterium-Z on with Hydro Pump to ensure a KO or Choice Scarf to make it outspeed practically everything after getting one kill, it's a pain to me.

And I enjoyed the team a fair bit with two familiar pokemon and a decent mix of new Kalos Pokemon I thought were fun to use. I did a second run late last year with Chespin as a starter and that team was Chesnaught, Blastoise, Magnezone, Drapion, Talonflame, and Aurorus as an underdog pick and most of them aside from Blastoise I never properly used before... (and I may or may not have made a rap off the cusp about them for fun once).

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
AKA
Benjamin, James, Pemderp
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I still didn’t know what a “balanced team” was when I first played, so I only used Chestnaut, Talonflame, Mega-Lucario, and Xerneas. At one point I tried to use a Pangoro and an Amaura, but I found them too frail to be reliable.

My childhood friend and I would battle several times while playing to see our teams. At one point he helped me try to breed a 6IV Froakie. Our attempts were futile.

Despite the lack of postgame content, I stuck with X version for about 80 hours. Keep in mind the first 35 were over the course of a weekend (I binged Omega Ruby and Moon version over a weekend as well. If I could turn back the clock, I would’ve taken my time with those games).

Even as an 11 year old, I still found most of the game to be pretty easy. The only time I lost a fight was during the Elite Four. Having the same amount of Pokémon as the Elite Four made things just a little harder.

My rose-tinted lens for Kalos faded over time. I tried replaying X a couple of times, only to lose interest by the second gym. The game’s long stretch in between the first two badges and the easy difficulty made it hard for me to go back. Those attempts at replaying the story made my thoughts of the game go down drastically. Especially with the bare bones postgame.

Kaori

Regular Trainer
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
Pokemon X/Y came out during my first year at university and being a Japanese language and culture major, it was a BIG deal. I remember all of us being in Japanese class with our 3DS systems, playing and chatting during the break.

While the story is definitely lacking and Kalos feels incomplete as a region, I really enjoyed the graphics of this game (I'm a sucker for cuteness so chibi models are my favorite) and the huge variety of Pokemon to be caught even early game really appealed to me as well! I actually swapped around my team a couple of times because I couldn't decide, but eventually I settled on these 6:

• Greninja
  • Bellossom
  • Chandelure
  • Sylveon
  • Flygon
  • Aurorus

Zed

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
CET
I still didn’t know what a “balanced team” was when I first played, so I only used Chestnaut, Talonflame, Mega-Lucario, and Xerneas. At one point I tried to use a Pangoro and an Amaura, but I found them too frail to be reliable.
At least you had four Pokemon, a lot of people used only their starter until they learned about building a balanced team. :)
I never used Amaura but I can imagine that it is very frail, but from what I can remember Pangoro wasn't frail at all for me (maybe your Pangoro had a bad defensive nature or terrible IVs).

Despite the lack of postgame content, I stuck with X version for about 80 hours. Keep in mind the first 35 were over the course of a weekend (I binged Omega Ruby and Moon version over a weekend as well. If I could turn back the clock, I would’ve taken my time with those games).
I know what you mean, I got into competitive battling during the X and Y so I sped through every game that came out since (ORAS, SM, USUM) just to get to the post game and obtain all the good items for online battles. Now I wish I took my time and enjoyed the main stories of those games a bit more.

My rose-tinted lens for Kalos faded over time. I tried replaying X a couple of times, only to lose interest by the second gym. The game’s long stretch in between the first two badges and the easy difficulty made it hard for me to go back. Those attempts at replaying the story made my thoughts of the game go down drastically. Especially with the bare bones postgame.
You have a point there, X and Y are probably the easiest Pokemon games and the Team Flare plot is very weak from what I can remember.
I never actually replayed my Y before but after making this thread and remembering my first playthrough I decided to finally replay the game. I'm at the sleeping Snorlax part now and I'm still having fun but we'll see if it will last or if it will get to easy/boring to continue.

Pokemon X/Y came out during my first year at university and being a Japanese language and culture major, it was a BIG deal. I remember all of us being in Japanese class with our 3DS systems, playing and chatting during the break.
That sounds awesome, I bet you have a ton of great memories from those days.

While the story is definitely lacking and Kalos feels incomplete as a region, I really enjoyed the graphics of this game (I'm a sucker for cuteness so chibi models are my favorite) and the huge variety of Pokemon to be caught even early game really appealed to me as well! I actually swapped around my team a couple of times because I couldn't decide, but eventually I settled on these 6:

• Greninja
  • Bellossom
  • Chandelure
  • Sylveon
  • Flygon
  • Aurorus
Kalos really does feel incomplete, it really needed the third installment or sequels like Gen 5.

That team looks cool, very unique actually. Did you have the MVP of the team or were they all equally good?
I never met someone that used a Bellossom in a playthrough before. Was it hard to use since it doesn't have the best stats and movepool?

Last edited:

Kaori

Regular Trainer
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
@Zed

I still don't understand why they just abandoned Kalos despite it being their first region on the 3DS. I know the system wasn't brand-new back then, but I remember so many people being excited when they saw the XY trailer because of the long awaited graphics update. I can only hope that the new games taking place in another Europe inspired region means we MIGHT get Kalos as a post-game.

It's been a while so I don't quite remember but I think my starter and Sylveon performed the best. Greninja is just really versatile and Fairy types are OP in Kalos.

Bellossom's stats actually aren't that bad and it gets some decent moves. I've always been a huge fan of Vileplume but I never used Bellossom before because Sun Stones aren't always as easy to get. I really liked using one in XY because the 3D model has some really cute animations.

FruitCola

New Trainer
AKA
Young
3DS FC
3411-6741-2047
IGN
Young
I really liked the X and Y, it had awesome Pokemon, very nice visuals etc...however the team I used basically crushed everything making it pretty boring tbh. As for more cons, the games story felt rushed for some reason, the plot had some pretty fun parts to it, yet I believe that it could be improved quite a lot. Regardless these games were pretty fun to play through.

My team was : Greninja, Charizard, Lucario, Aegislash, Braviary, and Gardivoir.
I also did not get attached to the team as much, mainly because I did not use Pokemon from Kalos, so yeah.

(also Mega Charizard X is better)

Zed

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
CET
I still don't understand why they just abandoned Kalos despite it being their first region on the 3DS. I know the system wasn't brand-new back then, but I remember so many people being excited when they saw the XY trailer because of the long awaited graphics update. I can only hope that the new games taking place in another Europe inspired region means we MIGHT get Kalos as a post-game.
Same, I think they originally planned a third installment (Zygarde forms and the 2 year gap between ORAS and SM, they usually released a new game every year since Gen 5 I think) but ended up scrapping it for some reason. Kalos post-game does sound amazing but sadly I don't think it will happen.

Bellossom's stats actually aren't that bad and it gets some decent moves. I've always been a huge fan of Vileplume but I never used Bellossom before because Sun Stones aren't always as easy to get. I really liked using one in XY because the 3D model has some really cute animations.
I'm also a big fan of Vileplume but never took Bellossom seriously, maybe I'll have to give it a chance in one of my future playthroughs. :)

My team was : Greninja, Charizard, Lucario, Aegislash, Braviary, and Gardivoir.
I also did not get attached to the team as much, mainly because I did not use Pokemon from Kalos, so yeah.
That's a strong looking team, no wonder Kalos was to easy and boring with those beasts.

(also Mega Charizard X is better)
Agree to disagree. :)

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Cabin 2
AKA
Volkner
Time Zone
UTC +10
I ended up buying and enjoying both versions, though I started with Y because I liked Yveltal better.

I think my first playthrough team on Y was: Greninja, Simisage, Pyroar, Heliolisk, Furfrou and Hawlucha. It's been a long time since that first playthrough, wow. Furfrou was probably the MVP, since Fur Coat allows it to tank pretty well.

The style system was really interesting and I only raised it for the trainer customisation. It was sooo nice to have customisation!!

seaturtle

sobble squad
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cabin 2
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Hey @Zed! In the future, please remember that you should only double post if more than 24 hours have passed since you last posted in a thread. If it's sooner than that, you can use the edit button to add content instead. Thanks!

Zed

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
CET
@seaturtle

Sorry about that. Just wanted to reply to everyone that posted in my thread and somehow it didn't occur to me to put everything in one post. It won't happen again. :)

I think my first playthrough team on Y was: Greninja, Simisage, Pyroar, Heliolisk, Furfrou and Hawlucha. It's been a long time since that first playthrough, wow. Furfrou was probably the MVP, since Fur Coat allows it to tank pretty well.
I like that team a lot, it has a few very unique Pokemon that not a lot of people use like Simisage and Furfrou. I'm also a huge Pyroar fan so it's always nice to see other people use it. :D

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
Apparently I didn't evolve some of my pokemon first time, huh. I hadn't played in years though so I was basically new lol.
Most of my playthrough I had Firefox the Delphox, Blastoise, Lucario, Pikachu, Pancham, and Florges, though for the Hall Of Fame I replaced Florges with Xerneas. I think I just used what either looked cool or in Blastoise's case a favorite.

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
IGN
Dragonite, usually
So I played X a couple times and used a bunch of different things but the one I liked best was probably Delphox, Roserade, Aegislash, Gyarados, Raichu and Salamence. Salamence is kinda cheating because I got it via trade with someone. In retrospect I sort of feel bad for only using two actual Kalos pokémon on the team but I don't think I really put much thought into it other than "it looks cool and it fills a coverage hole." Raichu was probably the star of the show, too, if I recall, since Salamence didn't evolve until basically the end of the game.

Why did I get X? Yveltal looks like a bacteriophage. That was literally the reason.

My strongest memories were probably flipping tables in the Glittering Cave, because that area wins the award of the worst control scheme I've ever had to play with, and flipping more tables in Route 13, thanks to the dust clouds that stay exactly where you are when you flee from battle with them. "But dragonite, that was like 2% of the entire game!" Yeah, and if that is the 2% of the entire game that I think of when I remember my first playthroughs, something has gone very, very wrong. Oh, and also there was the part where you had perfectly normal weather in Dendemille Town, suddenly found yourself eight feet deep in snow in Route 17, and then went back to perfectly normal weather in Anistar. Even by video game standards that's asking a lot from my suspension of disbelief. There were other things, I could go on, but I don't really want to get in the habit of complain box-ing.

I bash on Kalos a lot so I guess I'll force myself to come up with something I actually like about it, which would probably be the new Pokémon. I really like most of the new pokémon, except for the dessert things. Most of them are pretty colors and I wouldn't mind having as a pet, especially the fossils (which I've yet to actually use in a team, funnily enough).

Zed

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
CET
@DeepSeaPrincess

Interesting choice not to evolve some of your Pokemon, especially Pancham (I can imagine that it struggled against fully evolved Pokemon of the E4). The only Pokemon I never fully evolve is Dusclops because with Eviolite it is better than Dusknoir. :)

***​

@Dragonite

I also hate Route 13 and dirt mounds with a passion. The worst part is that if the wind isn't in your favor the first time you visit the route you can't get to all of the items and that means you will have to go back to that desert hell at least one more time to get everything. If it's not THE worst one then Route 13 has to be in the Top 3 worst routes in Pokemon games.

Scherzo

too lazy to change my title
I loved XY, tbh. To me, XY were the games were the Pokemon series had their biggest evolution (besides generation 2 into generation 3 lol). What helped was that these games came out closer to when I almost got into high school, and then ORAS came out my first year of high school. One of the biggest gripes I had with it was that the game went by way too fast.

My first playthrough had Greninja, Mega Venusaur, Talonflame, Pyroar, Lapras, and Sylveon. I really loved that team tbh. I also got a shiny Weedle like five minutes into the game, so I used a shiny Beedrill for like the first half.

[edit] I might have swapped Lapras and Lucario from time to time? I honestly don't remember....

Last edited:

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I got X. I don't remember Y :-D

I can't fully remember my team. Starter was Fennekin, I had a Hawlucha and was gutted it couldn't do Sky Battles, Tyrantrum for the fossil, and LittleWille the Clawitzer named after the first tank. I've a feeling I had Venusaur too.

Great games. So so many different wild Pokemon, no more encountering the same stuff all the time, that was really good. A good region and Lumiose is epic, the AZ subplot is great, as is the Essentia quest in the postgame.

I did a replay of it using Wonder Trade mons, and ended up with two blooming Volbeat.

Zed

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
CET
@Scherzo
I agree that X and Y were kinda short (if we don't count the part between the first 2 gyms lol). Also half of you team was the same as mine, great minds think alike. :D
Getting a shiny that early in your playthrough is amazing, had to wait until Sun and Moon to experience that myself.

@icelandic
I never knew Hawlucha couldn't do sky battles, that's weird lol. I wonder if the reason for it is the fact that Hawlucha's 3D model is standing on the ground instead of being in the air. 🤔

~Kilza~

A Hockey Boy
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I ended up getting Y for free through Club Nintendo. Honestly, I've said this a bunch on here but XY are my least favorite games in the main series. The story and characters are easily the worst of the series, while Kalos is eh and the gameplay is alright but not enough to make up for the issues the game has. If there was a Z version then maybe they could've fixed things up and made it a much better game, but welp. I've played it twice, doubt I play it a 3rd time.

As for my teams, this was my team my first playthrough:
Greninja :greninja:
Charizard :charizard:
Aegislash :aegislash:
Gardevoir :gardevoir:
Lucario :lucario:
Tyrantrum (I think??) :tyrantrum:

I had Exp. Share on and uhhhhhh I easily rolled over everything. I remember switching my Pokemon around, but by the time I ended up facing the E4 + Diantha I just ended up using Greninja the whole way, so it was Lv. 88 at the end while the rest of my team was in the high 70s.

My team my second playthrough:
Greninja :greninja:
Venusaur :venusaur:
Talonflame :talonflame:
Florges :florges:
Aurorus :aurorus:
Goodra :goodra:

I didn't have Exp. Share on and it did make a difference, since while I was still beating everybody up it wasn't as easy. Levels ended up finishing as 61-62, but I just dropped it after making it to the Hall of Fame since I didn't really care to play it anymore.