Discussion Remembrance [Past Roleplays]

Miles

New Trainer
Are we taking a trip down memory lane? Count me in! Some of the Rps you guys mentioned-

Gijinka Protect, Mansion/City of the Lost, the Anera, and a few others I think, I was a part of too! Stars, they were so much fun. I joined the old site back in 2015 and made so many friends- created and joined so many awesome RPs. I owe a lot to that site.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Stars of Sinnoh -- The first roleplay I joined, run by Cayo2. It was basically just a sandbox-style journey-through-Sinnoh, with Cayo opening up new areas and Pokemon as we went on and setting some sidequests. My character was Percival Alexander "Parr" Randolph, a Trainer from Johto who started with a Chimchar and caught a Bidoof and a Shellos. Cayo himself vanished before we even reached Oreburgh City so this didn't last too long.
Stars of Sinnoh was fun while it lasted. Cayo2 recommended some sort of online notepad tool so that roleplayers could co-author a post instead of everyone trying to write five sentences/seven lines for a single action lmao. I think we were actually working on a post together with MeepeonShips when the roleplay died. Something about battling a fisherman.

The Gijinka Project (?) -- Not sure if that's the right name, and I definitely don't remember who hosted this, but otherwise it's probably the roleplay I still remember the most due to me writing a short story about it. The roleplay was about a guy named Specter and his team of scientists working out of Unova who had learned to forcibly create gijinka. My character was Victor, a male Scizor gijinka whose life goal was to meet Darkrai due to an encounter as a child. I started to work with another RPer on putting him in a relationship with another character, a female Umbreon gijinka, but the roleplay died before that could take off.
I'm pretty sure Mettaton was the host of that RP, but I'm not as sure if that was their username at the time. There was a scene where the Umbreon Gijinka dropped her ring, and I remember you writing in great detail how Victor was able to pick the ring off the flat floor. You could've just wrote that he crouched down and picked it up after a bit of struggle, but instead you went into the nitty gritty of it. I was inspired by your attention to detail and started putting more effort into my own posts in that thread. I also want to thank you for bringing Kendrick back to life in your short story. It was an enjoyable read that brought back a lot of nostalgia.

??? -- The last RP I was part of; I wish I could remember who hosted it or what it was called. It started off as a basic quest sort of thing but we got bogged down right at the start by a bunch of arena battles. My character was Juneau Annika Thrash, a female Mienshao gijinka who fought with a bo staff and a pair of Japanese war fans. This one wasn't set up too well from the start and the host herself had pretty poor activity. There were a lot of halfhearted revival attempts so it took a long time to well and truly die, and I don't think it's a coincidence that this was the last time I made any serious effort at participating in a forum roleplay. Still, I don't regret the experience one bit.
I think L0KI_lin (probably spelled that wrong) hosted that roleplay. Her avatar was an anime girl with red and black hair and somewhat-goth theme if that rings any bells. If not, then I'm not sure.
Hah, and you talk about my attention to detail--I'm amazed you remember all of this! MeepeonShips was one of the inspirations who really brought me more into the roleplaying scene. Didn't she have an Espeon or Umbreon avatar?

Mettaton is definitely a name I remember from around that time, but I still can't remember for certain whether she(?) is the one who hosted that roleplay. This was the time when I began to think that fundamentally I wasn't such a great roleplayer. Most of my posts were my characters wanting to do their own thing, and I wasn't sure how to have meaningful interactions with the other RPers. At any rate, I did have a lot of fun with it. I also recall the part you're talking about--he had to use Razor Wind to flick the ring off the ground, then snatch it out of the air. I'm glad you liked the story and I hope I was able to do Kendrick justice. Was he your character?

You're right again--it was L0KI_lin! Thanks for the memories, man.

Mystical

Ysabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Sorry I went off-topic there, Isa. Promise I'll stick to the topic from here on out though!
no worries :D idm at all
You are too kind :smileazurill:

Gijinka: Insurrection was a terrible idea. I had a lot of things planned out for this RP, too much really. Had it not died, I would have been trying to force the plot in a specific direction. However, I absolutely agree with you about the characters involved. There were a lot, and it was clear that each one was driven by their own personal motives. You and everyone else might have been able to salvage the asinine story through the character interactions alone. If I remember correctly, you played the only non-Gijinka character, right?
I was being honest <3 I really liked the idea! And yes, I think so? I have some vague memories of making a Charizard Pokémon or something but I have no idea what I was planning to do with it xD Also your characters were really interesting.

Tbqh roleplays are definitely something I will miss. I came here for the roleplays and had some great times with them :) like U_D said and I'll echo, thank you to everyone who hosted RPs I joined and who joined mine. It was a delight!!

ultimate-dirano

Regular Trainer
Hah, and you talk about my attention to detail--I'm amazed you remember all of this! MeepeonShips was one of the inspirations who really brought me more into the roleplaying scene. Didn't she have an Espeon or Umbreon avatar?
She might have, but I can't remember that one specifically. The one that I associate with her was light brownish.

I'm glad you liked the story and I hope I was able to do Kendrick justice. Was he your character?
Yep! My version was older and more subdued than yours, but I really liked your take on the character. Kendrick's desperate plea really highlighted Victor's own ambition and was a good creative choice. It was enjoyable being able to read the origin story of a character from a roleplay that was erased from existence; I just wish there were more :winkazurill:

I spoke to L0KI_lin during the time she was hosting that RP and she actually told me her plans of how it would end.
The characters would have either
  1. Overthrown the authority figure and take over the arena themselves
  2. Slain the champion and escape from the arena only to be hunted down by the head honcho in the sequel
Of course, everything was subject to change depending on the actions of the participants, but yeah. You weren't wondering, but now you know.

I was being honest <3 I really liked the idea! And yes, I think so? I have some vague memories of making a Charizard Pokémon or something but I have no idea what I was planning to do with it xD
Don't think I ever mentioned it, but I was super grateful when you joined. I had events planned for the Pokémon side of the roleplay and was beginning to think I would have to cut them because nobody was signing up as a Pokémon until you joined. The roleplay might have died long before it reached that point, but I feel a thank you is still in order and four years late.

This gives me an idea for another thread: "What endings did you envision for your roleplay/characters that were either scrapped or never came to fruition?" Would anyone actually be interested in having that discussion though?

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Go for it, dude. I think we all have plans for where we want our characters to go, and I similarly think that most of them never get a chance to play out. Just how the roleplays go.

The short story I wrote served as a prequel for the setting of the roleplay itself, so maybe I accidentally did something right by having Kendrick be less subdued? He would have been younger after all, by perhaps a year or two.

Miles

New Trainer
I agree- I do believe we all had plans on how we wanted our characters to turn out or do during a Roleplay, but must never got to see that come to light with how often so quick and soon they lost interest in so fast. Not a bad thing at all, but a sad one.

ShadowedEevee

YJ-14
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Tabby
Time Zone
EST
Of the ones already mentioned on this thread, the Total Pokémon Island series was definitely the one I played the biggest part in. There were at least a dozen of them led by many different users over the years, but the one I am most fond of is the one co-created by ShadowedEevee and SunsetTheSkitty. This roleplay was actually somewhat of a soft reboot within the particular canon that ShadowedEevee (Tabby) started. Previous installments often died after roughly 20 pages, but this one lasted over a hundred. Its success boiled down to the dedication of the writers involved: Queen, OfficiallyLucario, MidnightLuigi, MeepeonShips, and Doesmynamematter. Special shout-out to Sunset and Doesmynamematter, whose combined post count was probably equal to half the RP, if not more.

I know that a lot of people saw the Total Pokémon Island roleplays as low-effort and rehashed, but the casual light-heartedness of the RP was part of the appeal. For me personally, it was the relatively low level of commitment that prevented the burnout I so often experienced in other RPs, which was why I kept posting even when there was drama and frustration all around. It was barely cohesive at times, and I cannot recall a roleplay that made me smile more than TPI.
Thank you for being such an active member in TPI, Dirano. Roleplaying with you and the others was probably the most fun I have ever had in a roleplay. I was dumb, and had too many plans but they never got far enough to realize them. Sadly, I lost contact with everyone, but all of you will always be some of my closest friends. I want to reconnect with them, but with the old forums gone and this one closing down, that might not ever happen. If you ever want to reminisce about the good old days (geez, I sound so old), my Discord is in my profile.

And to anyone I ever roleplayed with, thank you for putting up with my stupid 12-year old self and making my favorite memories. If you ever want to talk and reconnect, my Discord is in my profile, I'm a lot smarter than I was before, and I want to reconnect with so many close friends

Thank you everyone for making a community where I felt confident enough to roleplay, you all helped me be a bit more confident in my writing and stories. I have class now, so even though I want to say so much more, I have to cut it short. It means the world to me that someone remembers my stupid roleplays ❤

Miles

New Trainer
What can I say that hasn't already been said? Thank you guys for also putting up with me and my dumb teen and young adult self. I'd stay up so late just to write and RP with so many people on the old site, it was a blessing from another Pokemon forum I had been on before that was not so friendly. The staff there sucked and banned people for no reason. But that's beside the point. Thank you for taking part in so many RPs I created, thank you for making awesome RPs for me to take part in. Thank you for sharing your creative minds with me and everyone else. You guys are truly amazing and gifted people; thank you for all the years of many hours of writing and fun.