Returning.

AndyBananny

Beginner Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Hi all,

My name is Andy and I'm 32 years young. I joined Marriland Forums back when I was in high school, many moons ago, and enjoyed roleplaying makebelieve adventures with a handful of friends.

As life has many twists and turns, after an eight year stint that warrants more time than is worth mentioning, I've found myself living with my mom and stepping in to help her.

It'll be two months August 13th since I've made the adjustment, and since then I spend the majority of my time DoorDashing, going to church, and as you might have guessed, revisiting nostalgia.

Old loves are hard to let go of. I'd be what most would consider a Gen2er. I was there for it all though. My first game was Yellow and a GameBoy (the one without color which took 4 AA's). My little brother's friend was just going to throw it out because the batteries stopped working and he didn't want it anymore. So he gave it to me and the rest is history.

Does anyone else remember when Burger King had their Pokemon Kids Meal toys? If that doesn't date me I don't know what will.

But yeah, I'm just a mildly almost old guy with a passion for Pokemon. I recently acquired a Nintendo Switch Lite and Pokemon Sword. So I'll probably be looking to make trades and what not.

Really though, I'm just here to enjoy the forums. It's been a long time and the visit is overdue. Looking forward to making acquaintances and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
Hi, welcome back! It's awesome that the forums still mean something to you even after a long absence. What were some of the roleplays you were part of? I joined a few myself back in the day.

If you consider yourself a Gen2er, does that mean I sense a fellow Johto fan? What are some of your favorite Pokemon?

AndyBananny

Beginner Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
The Journey. Lasted 5 years strong.

Yes. Chikorita is my favorite starter of all time. Grass type is my favorite type. Politoed is my all time favorite. Sudowoodo and Shuckle are a couple other Johto favorites.

Other favorite would be... Bewear, Stoutland, Swoobat, Weavile, Butterfree, Pyukumuku, Pachirisu, Decidueye, Polteagiest, Cincinno, Ambipom, Greedent, Duskull, Bonsly, Ludicolo, Vileplume. That's off the top of my head. Mr. Rime is pretty funny too.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
You guys kept a roleplay going for 5 years? Impressive is an understatement.

Maybe you'll be able to guess who my favorite Pokemon is XD I started playing Pokemon with HeartGold but now I've also played both Gold and Silver. I think they're a good compromise between old-style nostalgia and the glitchy, unpolished atmosphere of Gen I.

AndyBananny

Beginner Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Yeah. Whenever it started I remember being told how we were doing it all wrong and it wouldn't last long. All I wanted to do was write a story of my very own Pokemon adventure and I was fortunate enough to find some friends with the same desire.

Communication is key. We talked through MSN messenger just about every single day. If not, at least multiple times a week. There's this dirty phrase called "god modding" that most are not a fan of. So we all just got together, collaborated and brainstormed where we wanted our story to go, what our characters goals were, and how it played into the bigger picture. Then we'd take turns fleshing out posts.

We completed the entire Johto region and started through Hoenn before drawing to a close. Life happens. Careers, new priorities, relationships. All good things come to an end (except where we spend after our end).

It was fun while it lasted. I guess I spent so much time there they saw fit to make me a moderator, but really it was just a title. I didn't know much and still don't.

The life lesson learned was if you have a desire and a will to do something, you can do it. It just takes a four letter word most don't like: work.

Hard work and communication remedy a lot.

And if I were a betting man I would say you did not go for Totodile or Chikorita.

:)

Gigarchomp99

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
IST (GMT+5:30)
IGN
Gargee
The Journey. Lasted 5 years strong.

Yes. Chikorita is my favorite starter of all time. Grass type is my favorite type. Politoed is my all time favorite. Sudowoodo and Shuckle are a couple other Johto favorites.

Other favorite would be... Bewear, Stoutland, Swoobat, Weavile, Butterfree, Pyukumuku, Pachirisu, Decidueye, Polteagiest, Cincinno, Ambipom, Greedent, Duskull, Bonsly, Ludicolo, Vileplume. That's off the top of my head. Mr. Rime is pretty funny too.
Haha, that explains all the Pokémon you requested from me! :P I was wondering why you wanted them in the beginning of your playthrough, considering none of them are that strong or effective against the first few Gyms... Anyway, I'm on it!

Weavile has always been my favorite! I used to lead with a Focus Sash one back in Gen4 during my short-lived stint with competitive battling. Her name was "Frosti". (I was 12.)

AndyBananny

Beginner Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Weavile is a funny one for me. Until recently, Sneasel was usually a late game catch and I rarely even used her.

Where my love for that icy creature blossomed was in my roleplaying days. My character "Andy Hodges" (fictional last name) obtained a Sneasel through a trade, but since he was a Coordinator rather than a Trainer, that little lady had zero to no respect for him which would lead to many antics. Pretty much like Ash and his disobedient Charizard.

Her only move was Ice Punch and the only time she'd use it was in retaliation to poor Mr. Hodges, turning him into a comic relief block of ice.

It was fun developing her personality.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
The life lesson learned was if you have a desire and a will to do something, you can do it. It just takes a four letter word most don't like: work.

Hard work and communication remedy a lot.

And if I were a betting man I would say you did not go for Totodile or Chikorita.

:)
That's a good message. Sounds like you guys all had a blast. And yes, you would win that bet ;)

It makes me sad that so many Johto Pokemon are trapped in the post-game. Someday I may do a run where I make a bunch of Eggs of those Pokemon on my old save files and trade them over to use on a new one. My team might be a little OP since those Pokemon tend to be strong, but I think it would be fun.

Since the elemental punches are TMs in Gen II, I may even get a Sneasel and teach it Ice Punch :hmmazurill:

Diarkia124

Master of Jacks
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Andrew
IGN
Andrew
I recognize your username but forgot when you were active.

I remember the burger King pokemon toys. Was very young and never took care of them lol

AndyBananny

Beginner Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Since the elemental punches are TMs in Gen II, I may even get a Sneasel and teach it Ice Punch :hmmazurill:
That would be awesome.

I recognize your username but forgot when you were active.

I remember the burger King pokemon toys. Was very young and never took care of them lol
I went off the grid about 8 years ago for work with basically no internet. Turns out it didn't pan out, and now I'm back.

I was in the 5th or 6th grade if I remember right. I got Vileplume and my brother got Diglett. My mom laughed so much about how Diglett looked like a, well, I'll practice discretion here, but you get the picture.

Last edited:

Vaporeon

Rookie Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Hello! Welcome back! Pokemon Yellow was also one of my first games, and I still owned a copy until recently unfortunately.

Anyways, it's nice to make your acquaintance and I'm sure I'll see you around the forums!