Monotype Saga of the Forbidden One: A Pokemon X Dark Monotype Challenge (Update 9: Forbidden Power) (Complete)

Pick the monotype type.

• Normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire

• Grass

• Water

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Electric

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Ground

• Flying

• Ice

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Fighting

• Poison

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Psychic

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Bug

• Ghost

• Rock

• Dragon

• Dark

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Steel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Decided upon a novel challenge idea this time: a fairly steady team. (Played with random eggs twice and a solo once so far.) Retained a bit of surprise through the above poll. Gave everyone up to three votes to decide the type. Refrains from voting personally. Will act as the tiebreaker, however. (Omitted Fairy due to watching one run the whole way, also.)

Never attempted a monotype challenge before. Looks fun, though. Encourages different Pokemon. Challenges you through restrictions, not perma-death.

Delayed the naming theme. Awaits the type choice first. May or may not be related.

• May only use Pokemon with the specified type once the challenge begins. Permits Pokemon that will evolve into the proper type into the party. Cannot participate in battles beyond switch training, however.
  • Cannot bring two of the same Pokemon to checkpoint battles.
  • Allows Pokemon of the incorrect type for HMs only if necessary for progression.
Victory condition: Become Champion of Kalos.
Naming theme: ???
Item limit: Three per battle.
Shop restrictions: None.
Style: Set.
Perma-death: No.
Breeding: Yes. (Must be the correct type now or later, however.)
Pokemon Amie: No.
Super Training: No.
O-Powers: No.
Mega evolutions: No.
Trade evolutions: Yes, provided the necessary items and Pokemon.

Level limit: Loose. Plays without any level restrictions until reaching the checkpoint battle. Checks each Pokemon's level then. Cannot continue leveling Pokemon at or above the level listed below. Remains eligible for the checkpoint battle, however.
  • Viola: 12
  • Grant: 25
  • Korrina: 32
  • Ramos: 34
  • Clemont: 37
  • Valerie: 42
  • Olympia: 48
  • Wulfric: 59
  • Elite Four + Champion: 65
(Note: Raises the level limit of the current checkpoint battle by 1 for each team wipe.)

Experience Share: Limited. Defaults to off. Switches it on just prior to checkpoint battles. May be used to train any Pokemon below the level limit.
(Exception: Keeps it on during the Elite Four battles too, due to Gardevoir :megagardevoir: being 68.)

Begins the challenge upon catching the first Pokemon with that type (or in Steel's case, evolving). Wishes to start before the first gym. Cannot find every type before then, however. Identified the earliest Pokemon for those unavailable types below. Will hatch five eggs of that Pokemon and keep one. (No Destiny Knot, Everstone, hidden abilities, or egg moves.)

Ground: Nincada :nincada:
Psychic: Ralts :ralts:
Ice: Amaura :amaura:
Rock: Dwebble :dwebble:/Binacle :binacle: (50/50 chance per egg)
Ghost: Honedge :honedge:
Dragon: Axew :axew:
Dark: Scraggy :scraggy:

Lucky Egg Clause: May trade over and use Lucky Eggs any time the Experience Share is on. Speeds up the process.

Last edited:

Amethyst

Rookie Trainer
Having just finished a Dark monotype in Ultra Moon, I voted for Dark. It was harder than I'd anticipated, though still quite fun, and I think that in Kalos it would be an even more interesting challenge. That said, I am looking at X/Y for my next Monotype challenge, and planning to go with Normal, myself. I feel like the type is overlooked due to its ubiquity, and deserves a chance to shine.

Calaf

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
I voted for Rock, as I really enjoyed a Rock Monotype in Pokemon Black I did not too long ago. I feel like they're not appreciated enough. That being said, I realize that all Rock types kinda come at once in Kalos, so I can understand if you'd prefer another type. Therefore, I voted for Psychic as well.

WindriderShiva

Junior Trainer
AKA
chibishiva (PSN)
Time Zone
GMT-5 (Eastern Time)
3DS FC
4399-3664-9423
Switch FC
2208-5217-2227
Voted Poison and Dark myself; Poison is a real fun run in XY, was probably one of the smoothest Monotypes I've ran... and Dark's my personal fav.

Good luck!

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Thank you for all of the votes and explanations. Came to a consensus on Dark with four votes. Eliminates any decision-making here. No complaints on that.

(Sidenote: Looked into Ice during voting. Would have gotten Amaura :amaura: from the egg. Cannot catch Cloyster :cloyster: in X. Makes Lapras :lapras: the second party member, after the third gym. Receives Rotom :rotomfrost: (on Tuesdays only) after the sixth gym. Piles on all the rest moments later in Frost Cavern :jynx::piloswine::glaceon::vanillite::cryogonal::cubchoo:::bergmite: and Route 17 :sneasel::delibird::snover:. Distributed Ice types extremely poorly.)

Usually randomizes the trainer's gender. Thought of a theme already. Selected the male trainer. (Poked random.org for fun anyways. Would have given male.)

Random number: 2. Chose the light-skinned, dark-haired male trainer in the middle. Named them Gundham, after the Danganronpa character. How do you turn down the owner of the Four Dark Devas of Destruction? Practically themed itself.

First order of business: Fast text speed, L = A, Set style, and Monochrome Battle BG. Never changed the last one before.

One more note: Forgot to ban O-Powers in the rules. Edited that in.

Tossed out nicknames. G-Meister? Li'l G? Big G? Fools! Cannot capture their essence with such trite nicknames. Deserves a fitting title: Forbidden One. ...Oh, wait. Exceeded the limit by one. Ditched the space.

Shauna: "ForbiddenOne fits you perfectly!" Recognized the truth of the matter quickly.

Presented three fearsome creatures. Peered into their souls for the greatest potential. Saw a particular twinkle in Froakie's :froakie: eyes. Possessed the talent to become a demon with training. Remembers this particular demon all too well, however. Moved past such things. Could prove useful for now, however. Named it Jum-P :froakie:. Acted a bit Quiet (+Special Attack / -Speed).

Captured five common pests nearby. Transmuted their very beings into five eggs. Lacked significant potential, given their original form. Ought to prove more than a match for the lowborn trainers ahead.

Scraggy :scraggy: 1
Nature: Serious
Stats: 12/6/6/5/6/6
Ability: Shed Skin
Moves: Leer and Low Kick

Scraggy :scraggy: 2
Nature: Hasty
Stats: 12/6/5/6/6/6
Ability: Moxie

Scraggy :scraggy: 3
Nature: Naughty
Stats: 12/6/6/5/5/6
Ability: Shed Skin

Scraggy :scraggy: 4
Nature: Jolly
Stats: 12/6/6/4/6/6

Scraggy :scraggy: 5
Nature: Jolly
Stats: 12/6/6/4/6/6

Pitted them against one another. Required a bit of Moxie to remain competitive. Came down to a duel between the fourth and fifth. Persevered due to being Somewhat Stubborn. Named the fifth Scraggy Saikyo :scraggy:.

Proved very weak in the field. Met its first opponent: Fletchling :fletchling:. Attempted to flee immediately. Perished to the beast's second Tackle.

Granted it a reprieve by ensnaring its next two foes: Scatterbugs :scatterbug:. Yielded two levels of power. Felled its next opponent (Bunnelby :bunnelby:) without a scratch.

Picked its fights more carefully from then on. Preyed upon the local mammals. Resurrected it a second time after failing to run from a Pidgey :pidgey:.

Entered Santalune Forest at level 6. Fought a particularly vile Weedle :weedle:. Outweighed it by five levels. Hit it for 1 hitpoint with Low Kick. Emerged victorious thanks to Leer (and vaguely Sand Attack).

Acquired great power outside of Santalune Forest. Slipped through the shadows. Obliterated its foe from behind. Named this new technique "Feint Attack". Excelled where Low Kick let Saikyo :scraggy: down (see: most places).

"You there! Were you just thinking, 'Boy, there's nothing to buy at the shops around here!'?" ...Yes, actually. Where are the Antidotes and Paralyze Heals?

Met a wandering soul in Santalune City. Laid them low with a single kick. Begged for release. Offered their Quicksilver Skates in exchange for their life. Accepted this bargain.

Beheld a sad sight on Route 22: an abandoned racing track. Existed for the purpose of Rhyhorn Races, no doubt. Would never draw crowds ever again. Truly pitiful.

Survived a Riolu's :riolu: Counter. Cost one Potion for insurance.

Entered the Time-Frozen Palace. Contained Pokemon trapped within the walls. Noticed multiple Venomoths :venomoth: in the floor, as mere shadows of their former selves. Delved deeper. Fell into a trap: a massive spider web. Must be the work of this accursed place's leader. Was beset by scavengers looking for an easy meal. Turned the tables and beat them back.

"Tee hee hee! Such weak prey! You've been caught right up in my Spider Web!" Aha! Appears to have been the handiwork of a lackey.

Reached Viola with Saikyo :scraggy: at level 12. Trains up at this point, if necessary. Happens to be at the level limit with Saikyo :scraggy:. Presents the tale of conquering this den:

Turn 1: :surskit: Quick Attack (31/34) / :scraggy: Feint Attack (60%)
Turn 2: :surskit: Quick Attack (28/34) / :scraggy: Feint Attack (the rest) (Saikyo's :scraggy: Moxie)
(Level up.)
Turn 3: :vivillon: Harden / :scraggy: Feint Attack (45%)
Turn 4: :vivillon: Infestation (26/36) / :scraggy: Feint Attack (45%)
(Infestation damage to 22/36)
Turn 5: :vivillon: Potion (heal to 75%) / :scraggy: Feint Attack (45%)
(Infestation damage to 18/36)
Turn 6: :vivillon: Harden / :scraggy: Feint Attack (the rest)

Took a bauble off of them: the Copper Chitin. Instilled it with the power to command creatures. Did nothing for the trapped souls, however. Remained cursed to haunt the Time-Frozen Palace for eternity.

(May or may not continue the overly dramatic writing. Takes extra time to write. Demands a different vocabulary than usual, though. Tries to mix up word choice normally. Could assist with that. Also, thank you for reading. Farewell for now.)

Saikyo the Scraggy :scraggy:
Level: 13
Hitpoints: 36
Attack: 26
Defense: 23
Special Attack: 14
Special Defense: 26
Speed: 23
Moves: Leer, Headbutt, Low Kick, and Feint Attack.

Box
- Jum-P the Froakie :froakie:
In-battle Items
- Potion: 1

Times fainted
- Saikyo: 2 :scraggy:

Last edited:

Amethyst

Rookie Trainer
I am enjoying the style. I kinda wish I had written story elements for my last monotype! I know that a negative speed nature on a Froakie is disappointing, but I would still absolutely consider using Jum-P. The extra Special Attack will be very useful, especially once you get Water Shuriken, and even a negative nature Greninja will be pretty darned fast. There aren't that many speedy Dark types out there (at least, it felt that way during my Dark monotype in slow, laid-back Alola).

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
Good job soloing Viola with Saikyo :scraggy:, especially after all the hardships they had gone through (defaulting to "they" due to not knowing the Pokemon's gender). 👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻

Btw how will you handle (spoiler ahoy) Korrina's second battle, especially since this is neither Fighting nor Steel monotype and you don't allow mega evolutions to begin with?

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Apologies for the delay. Combined a long stretch of game with multiple training sessions.

@Amethyst Finds some reasonably quick Dark types in Kalos, like Sharpedo :sharpedo: and Weavile :weavile:.

@SAF: Plays that part as intended. Halts progression otherwise. Technically does not even own that Pokemon anyways.

@Mystical: Intends to cut down on it after this update. Feels best used sparingly.
Journeyed onwards from the Time-Frozen Palace. Crossed a labyrinth of poisonous flower. Lulled weaker minds into a false sense of security, and thus deeper into the maze. Contained gardeners with hedge trimmers predators with blades forged from meteorite.

Encountered a curious pair guarding the Illuminated Fortress. Revealed their true names quickly: Dexio and Sina. Spoke of a powerful warlock within the fortress's walls. Paid tribute as well: the Return Technical Machine.

Followed them to the warlock's lair. Insisted on a test of strength. Destroyed their minions effortlessly. Swiped one of these minions away, purely for sport. Languished in a box forevermore.

Spied two people with a strong aura in a conversation. Skulked in the shadows nearby to eavesdrop. Debated the virtues of immortality.

"Wait! Lucario! Did you get drawn in by this boy's aura or something?" (Wrote the above sentence before seeing this quote. Why does this dramatic writing fit so well with the dialogue?)

Ran across a monochromatic mammal :pancham: after leaving the Illuminated Fortress. Harnessed a similar potential as Jum-P :froakie:. Bound it for later consideration. Named it Coro :pancham:.

Fwahahaha! Disintegrated an infamous Kadabra :kadabra: with a Quick Claw Feint Attack critical.

(Looked into in-battle Berry Trees. Cuts them down with Blizzard, Air Cutter, and Twister. Listed no Dark types for Air Cutter and Twister. Waits for the Blizzard Technical Machine in Anistar (about the seventh gym). How familiar.)

Inspected the golden ambrosia given by some whelp. Held the property of attracting a truly unique monster. Peered into the infinite cosmos. Combed through nine timelines. Plucked the time strand from one. Located and captured the creature :scraggy:. Demanded more refinement, however. Stored it for later.

(Translation: Used Honey on Route 5 for Scraggy hordes. Soft-reset due to only having three Honey and no Sweet Scent. Found one with Intimidate on the sixth Scraggy horde (of nine total). Captured the first in the list blindly. Happened to have Intimidate. Lucked out so hard. Disliked its Lax nature, though. Happened to be female, luckily. Plans to breed for a better nature soon.)

(Went back and forth between Moxie or Intimidate. Fears two Pokemon in X/Y: Mega Gyarados :megagyarados: and Mega Gardevoir :megagardevoir:. Places greater value on Intimidate in Sun/Moon. Remains effective in any generation, though. Ultimately chose Intimidate because of poor Speed.)

(Spent a Super Potion on that Scraggy horde battle, also. Led with Leer x4. Hit Saikyo :scraggy: for 40% with a Low Kick, despite being level 18 versus level 5s.)

Encountered a living roadblock :snorlax: splayed on a bridge over a raging current. Heard about a mysterious flute with the powers to vanquish this roadblock. Called it the Flute of Shrill Zephyrs. Detoured to Midas's Mansion.

Touched everything, no matter how inconsequential, with the glamor of gold. Discovered its pathetic inhabitant within. Cried out about a missing hound. Wagered it to be somewhere within, choked out long ago by gold's sweet kiss.

Strolled through the gardens in the back. Stumbled upon a common mutt :furfrou: there. Presented it to the mad owner. Placated them. Pitied the poor beast and its inevitable fate. Honored it by serving a greater purpose than it would ever dream of.

(Aw. Tossed out Low Kick for Brick Break just before Snorlax :snorlax:. Hoped to make it there before then.)

Played the Flute of Shrill Zephyrs. Animated the roadblock :snorlax:. Laid it to rest once more by breaking it in half. Discovered a true jewel just beyond: the Sanctuary of Rebirth. Reshaped the unique Scraggy :scraggy: from its base elements ten times. Created the perfect lifeform. Named it Golden Hawk :scraggy:. Inspected its surrounding Carefully (+Special Defense / -Special Attack).

(Combed through egg moves for several Pokemon. Learns almost everything amazing on Liepard :liepard:, a Y exclusive. Blocks off Fake Out for Scraggy :scraggy: and Sneasel :sneasel: and Play Rough for Poochyena :poochyena:, Absol :absol:, and Stunky :stunky:. Accesses Thunder Fang in exchange via Houndoom :houndoom: for Poochyena :poochyena: and Sandile :sandile:.)

Ran Golden Hawk :scraggy: through its paces, with harsh tutelage from Saiyko :scraggy:. Perished once to a flower imp :flabebe: in the process. Stood tall against the wild, draconic rage of a two-tusked lizard :axew:, however. (Ate a Dragon Rage with 44 maximum hitpoints. So mean.)

Entered a mysterious cavern. Heard whispers. Said to go this way or that. Felt like no more than a few seconds. Teleported from grasslands to a rocky precipice in those fleeting moments. Accepted this turn of events gracefully. Tends to find fierce opponents lurking in such places.

Hunted two particular creatures. Demonstrated their power shortly thereafter by one delivering a critical Pursuit to disperse Golden Hawk's :scraggy: essence. (Hit for 3 normally. Dealt at least 11.) Ensnared two capable of handling the trials ahead.

Ace the Absol :absol:
Level: 15
Nature: Adamant (+Attack / -Special Attack)
Ability: Super Luck
Stats: 47/52/23/27/26/29

(A strong attacker early on. May not remain on the team forever. Helps for now.)

Ribbon the Inkay :inkay:
Level: 14
Nature: Impish (+Defense / -Special Attack)
Ability: Contrary
Stats: 40/22/23/13/21/19

(Holds high hopes for Ribbon :inkay:. Will not learn Topsy-Turvy, due to limited set-up by opposing Pokemon. Brings a handy Psychic typing, along with the only Reflect and Light Screen available to Dark types. Looks forward to Contrary Superpower later too.)

Bid Saikyo :scraggy: adieu for now. (Hit level 28, well above the loose limit. Gained five levels from daycare breeding alone. Could still use them. Feels cheap to do so.) Commanded a young squid creature :inkay: to guard the Sanctuary of Rebirth as well.

Conversed with peasants in a tiny fishing village. Complained of rabblerousers to the east. Pried the village's true secrets from these peasants, however. Housed a cabal of necromancers bent on raising the dead. Became irate from their black magic being interrupted.

Vowed to investigate, with the real intent of seeking greater strength. Detected a powerful aura on the outskirts of the Darkshadow Depths. Clashed with it multiple times, each more intense than the last. Shattered its will with a stunning blow. Acquiesced to the dominant force.

San-D the Sandile :sandile:
Level: 16
Nature: Naughty (+Attack / -Special Defense)
Stats: 43/35/21/18/14/27

(Another Moxie versus Intimidate choice. Favored Moxie thanks to a significantly better speed stat. Plans to breed for Jolly later. Needs every ounce of speed it can get. May face Mega Gardevoir :megagardevoir: in the distant future. Obtains an Everstone in Geosenge. Works with one of several Jolly Scraggy :scraggy:.)

(Lost San-D :sandile: and Ribbon :inkay: to a Litleo :litleo: while training. One-shot both with Work Up + Take Down on top of a level advantage. Happened again with a lower level wild Zangoose :zangoose:. Critical Fury Cutter on Ribbon :inkay: (minimum 41 damage) and Fury Cutter + switching Pursuit on San-D :sandile: for 40 + the rest.)

Pressed on into the Darkshadow Depths. Earned its name from monsters striking from the shadows. Spooked lesser beings, no doubt. Subsisted on darkness and uncertainty since birth, however. Rended their feeble forms with little more than a glance.

Arrived at the heart of the Darkshadow Depths. Located the fanatical zealots interupting the necromancers. Hurt to look at more than anything. Flattened them with San-D's :sandile: Thunderous Bulldoze one by one. Reported this to the head necromancer. Offered a pittance in exchange. Walked out in disgust at the wasted time.

Pursued a lead north of the fishing village. Led to a larger town. Became apparant where to go: The Brazen Bluffs. Loomed over the relatively tiny town.

Emitted an enticing, foreboding glow. Paled next to the radiance even further north, however. Scoured the region for it. Came in three separate forms.

The first: a clear, blue stone. Examined it thoroughly. Determined it to be vital in the Sanctuary of Rebirth. (See: Everstone. Actually lets you visit the next town. Feels so strange after being constantly gated out in Sun/Moon.)

The second and third: two fiends. Wielded a fragment of their potential.

Evening the Eevee :eevee:
Level: 20
Nature: Relaxed (+Defense / -Speed)
Ability: Adaptability
Stats: 55/29/31/28/33/27

(Will likely not use Umbreon :umbreon:. Brings no useful resistances. Resorts to Toxic stall without Curse access. Pass.)

Sirius the Houndour :houndour:
Level: 20
Nature: Relaxed (+Defense / -Speed) (Yes, again.)
Ability: Flash Fire
Stats: 51/29/20/37/25/32

(Meet the team's primary special attacker...eventually. Helps versus pesky Fairy types. Do not get attached to its nature. Tagged them for breeding too.)

(Defeated everyone in the gym except the leader. Permits the Experience Share now. Used this opportunity to breed a Jolly San-D :sandile: and a Timid Sirius :houndour:.)

(
Came to a crossroads here. Wants maximum Effort Values in Speed for both. Options:
  1. Level off of Wingull or Zubat hordes for 5 EVs per battle. Acquired only one spread move: Bulldoze. Lacks Sweet Scent too. No.
  2. Fork over two Maranga Berries and two Kee Berries for EV resets at the Juice Shoppe. Requires a huge berry chain AND a Roseli Berry at Route 14. No.
  3. Stuff EV-reduction berries down their throats. Buy vitamins at Lavarre and Speed EV juice in Lumiose. Beat up hordes after obtaining the Macho Brace and a spread move. Yes?
Probably sounds excessive for a monotype. Carries the wounds from the Alola Against the World run still. Outsped an Electrode :electrode: too many times. Holds a grudge against that Golbat :golbat: with a +Speed nature, maximum Speed IVs, and maximum Speed EVs in particular.)
)

(Fainted once on San-D :sandile: from a Golett :golett: Mega Punch. One-shot Sirius :houndour: with a Wing Attack from Hawlucha :hawlucha:. Took that as a cue to train somewhere where they had a level advantage. Evolved both :houndour:Sirius:houndoom: and :eevee:Evening:umbreon:. Caught a shiny Luvdisc :luvdisc: while training, also.)

(Note: Split fainting to trainers and to wild Pokemon in Tracked Stats. Will not mention further losses to wild Pokemon, barring something interesting.)

Returned to the Brazen Bluffs. Scaled its rocky exterior. Met the leader at the summit. Bore the same steely gaze as the one in the Time-Frozen Palace. Promised to be interesting.

(Battled Grant with a full team :scraggy::absol::inkay::houndoom::umbreon::sandile: at level 25.)

(Golden Hawk's :scraggy: Intimidate)
Turn 1: :scraggy: Brick Break (100%) / :amaura::faintedazurill:
Turn 2: :scraggy: Brick Break (60%) / :tyrunt: Rock Tomb (47/61, -1 Speed)
Turn 3: :tyrunt: Stomp (29/61) / :scraggy: Brick Break (the rest)

Pried something shiny from their broken fingers. Recognized it as the Steppes of Courage. Synergizes with the Copper Carapace to imbue the owner with greater control over others.

Pondered its significance while sliding down the steep rock wall. Rarely found relics such as these. Acquired two within a brief period of time. Implied something more sinister afoot. Perhaps someone seeking dominance over all of Kalos? Tabled the thought for new information to roll in. Confirms it in the event of a third artifact like that appearing. If not? Just a happy coincidence.

(Thank you for reading. Should be able to finish the next update much sooner. Farewell for now.)

Golden Hawk the Scraggy :scraggy:
Level: 25
Hitpoints: 61
Attack: 44
Defense: 44
Special Attack: 26
Special Defense: 51
Speed: 36
Moves: Leer, Brick Break, Feint Attack, and Headbutt.

Hitpoints: 72
Attack: 85
Defense: 35
Special Attack: 43
Special Defense: 40
Speed: 46
Moves: Taunt, Swords Dance, Quick Attack, and Bite.

Ribbon the Inkay :inkay:
Hitpoints: 65
Attack: 38
Defense: 38
Special Attack: 22
Special Defense: 34
Speed: 31
Moves: Reflect, Foul Play, Hypnosis, and Psybeam.

Sirius the Houndoom :houndoom:
Hitpoints: 80
Attack: 52
Defense: 38
Special Attack: 61
Special Defense: 46
Speed: 63
Moves: Bite, Ember, Smog, and Roar.

Evening the Umbreon :umbreon:
Hitpoints: 87
Attack: 42
Defense: 71
Special Attack: 42
Special Defense: 73
Speed: 37
Moves: Swift, Quick Attack, Bite, Refresh.

San-D the Sandile :sandile:
Hitpoints: 61
Attack: 48
Defense: 24
Special Attack: 26
Special Defense: 30
Speed: 50
Moves: Leer, Bulldoze, Bite, and Mud-Slap.

Box
  • Saikyo the Scraggy :scraggy:, level 28.
  • Jum-P the Frogadier :frogadier:, level 24.
  • Coro the Pancham :pancham:, level 21.
In-battle Items
  • Potion: 1
  • Super Potion: 1
Times fainted to trainers
  • Golden Hawk: 1 :scraggy:
  • San-D: 1 :sandile:
  • Ribbon: 1 :inkay:
Times fainted to wild Pokemon
  • Saikyo: 2 :scraggy::scraggy:
  • San-D: 2 :sandile::sandile:
  • Sirius: 1 :houndour:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Kicks off today's update by...getting outsped by a Team Flare Golbat :golbat:. Never ends.

Tangled with Korrina in Geosenge. Forgot about this fight. Cannot be too bad.

Turn 1: :lucario: Power-Up Punch (43/65) / :inkay: Reflect
Turn 2: :lucario: Swords Dance / :inkay: Psybeam (10%)
Turn 3: :inkay: Switch :scraggy: (Intimidate) / :lucario: Swords Dance
Turn 4: :lucario: Metal Sound / :scraggy: Brick Break (75%)
Turn 5: :lucario: Feint (48/61) / :scraggy: Brick Break (the rest)
(Level up. Reflect down.)
Turn 6: (Quick Claw) :scraggy: Brick Break (75%) / :lucario: Swords Dance
Turn 7: (Quick Claw) / :lucario: Feint (30/63) / :scraggy: Brick Break (the rest)

Deserved to lose someone there. Appreciates Metal Sound on a Pokemon without special moves.

Remembers the part afterwards being dangerous, however. Made fighting-type trainers tough in X/Y. Encounters a helpful Pokemon on this same route, thankfully. Say hello to the newest team member.

Asuka the Stunky :stunky:
Level: 21
Ability: Stench
Nature: Naughty (+Attack / -Special Defense)
Stats: 59/39/29/25/20/38
Moves: Screech, Fury Swipes, Venoshock, and Shadow Claw (Used Technical machines for the last two moves.)

Declines to breed this one. Will see action versus fighting and fairy-type gym leaders. Eyes someone else for the Poison spot, though.

Never underestimate Brains & Brawn pairs. Knew this before going in.

(Golden Hawk's :scraggy: Intimidate)
Turn 1: :scraggy: Switch :stunky: / :mrmime: Reflect / :absol: Aerial Ace (at :machoke:, 45%) / :machoke: Low Sweep (at :absol:, 9/75, -1 Speed)
Turn 2: :absol: Switch :inkay: / :mrmime: Encore (failed) / :stunky: Venoshock (at :machoke:, 15%) / :machoke: Low Sweep (at :inkay:, 38/69, +1 Speed)
Turn 3: :inkay: Psybeam (at :machoke:, 25%) / :mrmime: Light Screen / :stunky: Shadow Claw (at :machoke:, 5%) / :machoke: Low Sweep (at :inkay:, 11/69, +1 Speed)
Turn 4: :inkay: Switch :houndoom: / :mrmime: Encore (failed) / :stunky: Shadow Claw (at :machoke:, the rest :faintedazurill:)
Turn 5: :houndoom: Smog (miss) / :mrmime: Encore (at :houndoom:) / :stunky: Venoshock (10%)
(Enemy Reflect down.)
Turn 6: :houndoom: Smog (10%) / :mrmime: Reflect / :stunky: Screech (Failed due to :mrmime: Soundproof)
Turn 7: :houndoom: Smog (10%) / :mrmime: Encore (at :stunky:) / :stunky: Screech (Failed)
(Enemy Light Screen down.)
Turn 8: :stunky: Switch :sandile: / :houndoom: Smog (20%) / :mrmime:
(Sirius's :houndoom: Encore over.)
Turn 9: :houndoom: Ember (the rest)

Phew. Worried about Disarming Voice from Mr. Mime :mrmime:. Looked up a past run after the battle. Evidently knew Psybeam.

Do not judge Asuka :stunky: too much for the weak damage. Level 21 versus levels 28 and 26.

First legitimate death of the run: Ace :absol: to a Battle Girl's Hawlucha :hawlucha: with Karate Chop. (Attributes all of the other deaths to training or catching Pokemon.) Could not easily switch anyone else in after defeating Throh :throh:. Followed that by losing Ribbon :inkay: to Hawlucha's :hawlucha: critical Aerial Ace (after putting Reflect up). Almost one-shot Sirius :houndoom: with a critical Karate Chop immediately afterwards. Went downhill very fast. Almost wiped...if not for Asuka :stunky:. Finished the fight with Asuka :stunky: at 8/64, all three items used, and the rest of the team down. Yay for Intimidate.

Oh. Met Tourist Monami in Reflection Cave. What are you doing here?

Melted Ace :absol: again in a single Double Kick from Sawk :sawk:. (Hoped to do the same with Aerial Ace.) Taught it a lesson by hitting it for 25% with Ribbon's :inkay: Psybeam. Defeated it with two Super Potions. The trainer's quote upon defeating them: "DESPAIR!" ...Released this before Danganronpa, right?

No chance for San-D :sandile: versus a Pinsir's :pinsir: Revenge. Absorbed its follow-up Brick Break better on Sirius :houndoom: after an Ember burn.

Staggered out of Reflection Cave. Bought the Technical Machines for Dig and Poison Jab. Obtained the Eviolite too. Headed back to Reflection Cave for a Sableye :sableye:.

Formosa the Sableye :sableye:
Level: 22
Ability: Keen Eye
Stats: 59/42/41/37/35/29
Moves: Shadow Claw, Poison Jab, Aerial Ace, and Fake Out.

Do not ask why everything is Relaxed. (Should have led with Evening :umbreon:, in retrospect. Synchronize + Relaxed nature? Must keep that in mind for later.) Only caught two Sableyes :sableye:. Liked this one better.

Might not use it a ton, despite the clear advantage of a Ghost typing. Lacks significant bulk for a Fighting Pokemon's other attacks, even with the good nature. Cannot acquire Prankster, Sucker Punch, Recover, or Moonlight. Encounters fairly few trainers with hold items for Knock Off besides Mega Stones. Deserves a chance against Korrina, however.

...Hold on. Went to train Formosa :sableye: on Mr. Mimes :mrmime:. Just realized something. Never saw any Wobbuffets :wobbuffet: yet, despite being a 10% chance.

|Gazed upwards at the Spire of Calamity. Sliced through the clouds with its lodestone architecture. Guarded its entrance with a large, anubis creature :lucario: to watch all who entered. Housed great secrets, without a doubt.

|Interrogated an elderly guru within. Spilled secrets about spontaneous evolution. Granted them great power at a cost. Shattered both their mind and body. Drove all those subjected to the process to wild bloodlust. Reverts to its original form, due to the strain.

|Confined this brutal ability in a bracelet. Sensed something unnatural about the stillness of the room at that moment. Snatched it from the guru's hand. Beat out two other hands thrust out an instant later. Belonged to another wandering soul, not unlike the one in Santalune, and a paper-thin mockery of a human. Eyed the bracelet with the glint of greed. Would not escape without a show of strength.

(Level 28 across the board :sableye::stunky::sandile::houndoom::absol::inkay:.)

Turn 1: :sableye: Fake Out (7%) / :meowsticf: Flinch
Turn 2: :meowstic: Disarming Voice (51/73) / :sableye: Shadow Claw (80%)
Turn 3: :sableye: Shadow Sneak (the rest)
Turn 4: :sableye: Switch :absol: / Serena's :absol: Bite (55/80)
Turn 5: Serena's :absol: Bite (31/80) / Gundham's :absol: Flinch
Turn 6: Serena's :absol: Bite (8/80) / Gundham's :absol: Slash (50%)
Turn 7: :absol: Switch :stunky: / Serena's :absol: Bite (61/76)
Turn 8: Serena's :absol: Quick Attack (45/76) / :stunky: Slash (30%)
Turn 9: Serena's :absol: Slash (critical, 4/76) / :stunky: Slash (critical, the rest)
Turn 10: :stunky: Switch :sableye: / :quilladin: Bite (34/75)
Turn 11: :quilladin: Bite (14/75) / :sableye: Aerial Ace (25%)
Turn 12: :sableye: Switch :houndoom: / :quilladin: Bite (78/89)
Turn 13: :houndoom: Ember (55%) / :quilladin: Needle Arm (53/89)
Turn 14: :houndoom: Ember (the rest)

|Drove off the paper-thin person. Noticed the soul had vanished. Reached for the bracelet in its pocket dimension. Gone. Knew the culprit. Tracked their inhuman footprints to a playground of the souls.

Went to the gym. Embarassed the first trainer there. Could not hit Formosa :sableye: with the first two Pokemon. Wised up with Foresight -> Low Sweep on Machoke :machoke:, at least.

Laughed at a Heracross :heracross: next. Failed with Counter (definitely a killing blow otherwise), then with Brick Break. Is this why all of Alola got Dark moves?

Finally met something :hariyama: with a Dark move. Knocked off Formosa's :sableye:...Everstone? Ought to have the Rocky Helmet.

Trained everyone up to 32. Evolved :sandile:San-D:krokorok: and :inkay:Ribbon:malamar:. Tried to steal a Light Clay, but no luck.

Strategy: Gave Formosa :sableye: Hone Claws over Shadow Claw. Hopes for more awful movesets in order to set up. (Note: Did not look it up.) Guesses Medicham :medicham:, Lucario :lucario:, and Hawlucha :hawlucha:.
Team: :sableye::stunky::scraggy::malamar::houndoom::absol:.

Turn 1: :mienfoo: Switch :machoke: / :sableye: Hone Claws
Turn 2: :sableye: Aerial Ace (80%) / :machoke: Rock Tomb (65/82, -1 Speed)
Turn 3: :machoke: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / :sableye: Aerial Ace (80%)
Turn 4: :machoke: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / :sableye: Shadow Sneak (critical, 50%)
Turn 5: :machoke: Leer / :sableye: Aerial Ace (the rest)
Turn 6: :mienfoo: Fake Out (immune) / :sableye: Hone Claws
Turn 7: :mienfoo: Fake Out (immune) / :sableye: Hone Claws
Turn 8: :mienfoo: Fake Out (immune) / :sableye: Hone Claws
Turn 9: :mienfoo: Fake Out (immune) / :sableye: Hone Claws
Turn 10: :mienfoo: Fake Out (immune) / :sableye: Hone Claws
Turn 11: :mienfoo: Fake Out (immune) / :sableye: Aerial Ace (100%)
Turn 12: :sableye: Shadow Sneak (60%) / :hawlucha: Hone Claws
Turn 13: :sableye: Shadow Sneak (the rest)

Feels so good to bamboozle Hawlucha :hawlucha: after all of the grief. Looked into Korrina's movesets now.
  • Mienfoo :mienfoo:: Fake Out, Double Slap, Power-up Punch.
  • Hawlucha :hawlucha:: Hone Claws, Flying Press, and Power-up Punch.
  • Machoke :machoke:: Rock Tomb, Power-up Punch, and Leer.
Definitely explains all of the Dark moves in Alola.

|Tch. Escaped once again. Darted right back to the scene of the crime. Dropped something in its haste: the Dual Cross. So much for a happy coincidence.

Thank you for reading. Farewell for now.

Level: 32
Hitpoints: 76
Attack: 57
Defense: 55
Special Attack: 33
Special Defense: 67
Speed: 45
Moves: Leer, High Jump Kick, Feint Attack, and Headbutt.

Hitpoints: 90
Attack: 111
Defense: 43
Special Attack: 54
Speed: 58
Moves: Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Slash, and Bite.

Ribbon the Malamar :malamar:
Hitpoints: 102
Attack: 73
Defense: 73
Special Attack: 45
Special Defense: 63
Speed: 57

Hitpoints: 100
Attack: 68
Defense: 47
Special Attack: 77
Special Defense: 60
Speed: 81
Moves: Bite, Ember, Fire Fang, and Roar.

Hitpoints: 82
Attack: 60
Defense: 58
Special Attack: 53
Special Defense: 52
Speed: 40
Moves: Hone Claws, Shadow Sneak, Fake Out, and Aerial Ace.

Asuka the Stunky :stunky:
Hitpoints: 86
Attack: 60
Defense: 44
Special Attack: 36
Special Defense: 33
Speed: 56
Moves: Toxic, Slash, Venoshock, and Shadow Claw.

Box
  • San-D the Krokorok :krokorok:, level 32.
  • Evening the Umbreon :umbreon:, level 31.
  • Saikyo the Scraggy :scraggy:, level 28.
  • Jum-P the Frogadier :frogadier:, level 31.
  • Coro the Pancham :pancham:, level 29.
In-battle Items
  • Super Potion: 6
  • Golden Hawk: 2 :scraggy::scraggy:
  • San-D: 3 :sandile::sandile::sandile:
  • Ribbon: 2 :inkay::inkay:
  • Ace: 2 :absol::absol:
  • Sirius: 1 :houndoom:
  • Saikyo: 2 :scraggy::scraggy:

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
Sayo, Koh, Ami, Aevia, Chitose
And here I am, laughing out loud at Korrina's :mienfoo: for being bamboozled by Formosa :sableye:'s typings. :joyousazurill:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Completed the Mega Evolution section with Lucario :lucario:. Zero experience. Left them at the Tower of Mastery.

Who can learn Surf? Coro :pancham: and Jum-P :frogadier:. Time for training. Will revise the rules next time regarding that (and using Pokemon not yet of that type). Evolved :pancham:Coro:pangoro:. Taught them Surf. (Learns Entrainment later for one more Hidden Ability hunt, so not a complete waste.)

Found a Leftovers. Overshadows anything else acquired in this update.

Received a Good Rod. Opens up two Pokemon. Requires circling all the way back around. Will save that for later.

Fought Serena in front of the gym. Levels 32-34 for the team :sableye::stunky::houndoom::scraggy::krokorok::malamar:.

Turn 1: :sableye: Fake Out (5%) / :meowsticf: Flinch
Turn 2: :meowsticf: Light Screen / :sableye: Hone Claws
Turn 3: :meowsticf: Disarming Voice (63/87) / :sableye: Hone Claws
(Leftovers heal to 68/87)
Turn 4: :sableye: Shadow Sneak (90%) / :meowsticf: Disarming Voice (42/87)
(Leftovers heal to 47/87)
Turn 5: :sableye: Shadow Sneak (the rest)
(Leftovers heal to 52/87)
Turn 6: :absol: Bite (15/87) / :sableye: Aerial Ace (55%)
(Leftovers heal to 20/87. Enemy Light Screen down.)
Turn 7: :sableye: Switch :scraggy: (Intimidate) / :absol: Bite (72/78) (Rocky Helmet damage)
Turn 8: :absol: Slash (critical, 25/78) (Rocky Helmet damage) / :scraggy: Chip Away (the rest)
Turn 9: :scraggy: Switch :stunky: / :quilladin: Bite (82/89)
Turn 10: :stunky: Toxic / :quilladin: Needle Arm (70/89)
Turn 11: :stunky: Venoshock / :quilladin: Needle Arm (critical, 44/89)
Turn 12: :stunky: Slash (the rest)

Cleared out the gym trainers. Chose now to cycle all the way back to Santalune City. From Route 3 at a 5% chance:

Earth Star the Corphish :corphish:
Nature: Brave (+Attack / -Speed)
Ability: Shell Armor
Moves: Vice Grip, Leer, Bubble Beam, and Protect.
Stats: 61/52/45/30/27/22

Wants to use Earth Star :corphish:. Resists both of Mega Gyarados's :megagyarados: major attacks. Misses out on tons of nice egg moves, unfortunately: Aqua Jet, Dragon Dance, and sort of Body Slam. Receives one interesting egg move in the future. Cannot access it yet.

Evolved :stunky:Asuka:skuntank: off of a missed level 8 Flabebe :flabebe: trainer. Learned Flamethrower too. Why does a skunk have a better fire move than Sirius :houndoom:? Unlocked Poison Jab due to evolving too. Just in time for the gym.

On Route 22, east of Santalune:

Gush the Carvanha :carvanha:
Nature: Adamant (+Attack / -Special Attack)
Ability: Rough Skin
Moves: Scary Face, Ice Fang, Screech, and Swagger.
Stats: 60/58/19/24/18/40

(Only the second Carvanha :carvanha:. Hard pass on the Modest one.) Feels uncertain about using Gush :carvanha:. Compares closest to Ace :absol: (same nature). Fell short in the damage department thus far. Sees good moves ahead for both, though. Hinges somewhat on how well Earth Star :corphish: works out.

Bumped everyone up to 34. Stole a Light Clay in the process.

Strategy: Poison Barb + Poison Jab. Expects to see Jumpluff :jumpluff: and Gogoat :gogoat:.
Team: :skuntank::malamar::houndoom::sableye::scraggy::absol:.

|Overheard rumors of a tower reclaimed by nature to the east. Referred to it as Tangleknot Tower. Existed on a different plane. Disguised the entrance as an ordinary cave.

|Arrived at the approximate location of the cave. Displayed no clear signs of existing...to normal eyes. Opened the Mind's Eye. Gazed past the mundane. Revealed a shimmering barrier a mere half-kilometer away.

|Stepped through the sparkling wall of light. Warmed up immediately, to that of a tropical jungle in summer. Saw a white pillar of ivory, five stories tall and covered in vines.

|Presented no obvious way of ascending it. Scaled it using the vines and upper body strength from years of rigorous training. Swung over chasms with an uncountable number of bloodsucking vines awaiting their next meal. Denied them that pleasure.

|Found a being alone at the top: a creature half-man and half-plant. Reclaimed more than just the tower. Walked on two flesh legs and one of wood. Whipped and snapped at noticing someone nearby.

Turn 1: :jumpluff: Acrobatics (85/118) / :skuntank: Poison Jab (100%)
Turn 2: :skuntank: Poison Jab (95%) / :gogoat: Bulldoze (33/118, -1 Speed)
Turn 3: :skuntank: Switch :scraggy: (Intimidate) / :gogoat: Hyper Potion (heal to full)
Turn 4: :gogoat: Take Down (64/80) / :scraggy: Scary Face
Turn 5: :scraggy: High Jump Kick (45%) / :gogoat: Take Down (46/80)
Turn 6: :scraggy: Feint Attack (20%) / :gogoat: Bulldoze (35/80)
Turn 7: :scraggy: High Jump Kick (the rest)
Turn 8: :scraggy: Switch :houndoom: / :weepinbell: Poison Powder (miss)
Turn 9: :houndoom: Fire Fang (critical, 100%)

|Burned away the mutated creature using the Gnashing Flames technique. Left behind something resistant to the flames: the Gilded Leaf. Marked the fourth of these baubles collected. Seemed almost as common as leaves on a tree.

Was not too surprised by Bulldoze. Seemed like the kind of Pokemon to know it.

Concludes this update. Thank you for reading. Wound up being short. Figured as much, given the two level difference. Paces this game unevenly between gyms. Expects small updates for the next two as well. Anyways, farewell for now.

Level: 34
Hitpoints: 80
Attack: 61
Defense: 59
Special Attack: 35
Special Defense: 70
Speed: 48
Moves: Scary Face, High Jump Kick, Feint Attack, and Headbutt.

Hitpoints: 95
Attack: 117
Defense: 46
Special Attack: 58
Special Defense: 54
Speed: 61
Moves: Aerial Ace, Swords Dance, Slash, and Bite.

Hitpoints: 107
Attack: 78
Defense: 78
Special Attack: 47
Special Defense: 67
Speed: 61

Hitpoints: 106
Attack: 72
Defense: 50
Special Attack: 82
Special Defense: 64
Speed: 86

Attack: 64
Defense: 62
Special Attack: 56
Speed: 43
Moves: Hone Claws, Shadow Sneak, Fake Out, and Aerial Ace.

Asuka the Skuntank :skuntank:
Hitpoints: 118
Attack: 86
Defense: 60
Special Attack: 59
Special Defense: 47
Speed: 66
Moves: Toxic, Slash, Poison Jab, and Flamethrower.

Box
  • San-D the Krokorok :krokorok:, level 34.
  • Evening the Umbreon :umbreon:, level 34.
  • Saikyo the Scraggy :scraggy:, level 30.
  • Jum-P the Frogadier :frogadier:, level 33.
  • Coro the Pangoro :pangoro:, level 34.
  • Earth Star the Corphish :corphish:, level 25.
  • Gush the Carvanha :carvanha:, level 26.
In-battle Items
  • Sirius: 1 :houndoom:
  • Saikyo: 3 :scraggy::scraggy::scraggy:
  • Coro: 1 :pancham:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Enters the worst route in the game today. Put a bunch of Pokemon with Arena Trap as overworld random encounters (not in grass). Hits you from two steps away. Added wind and roller skate rails too, because...fun?

Interesting. Handed out a Black Sludge. Accepts this gratefully.

Outsped a Golbat :golbat: with Sirius :houndoom:. Brightens up this otherwise irritating route.

Stepped into the power plant. Fought mirror matches on back-to-back trainers already (Golden Hawk :scraggy: versus Scraggy :scraggy: and Sirius :houndoom: versus Houndoom :houndoom:.)

Worries about San-D :krokorok: for the upcoming gym. Fell behind with everyone else evolving. Deals too little damage and takes too much.

Defeated Team Flare in the power plant. Contained little of interest. Gave the two leader-types only one Pokemon each. Earned two Full Restores, though. Why does this feel like a sidequest?

Turned the power back on in Lumiose. Directs you towards the tower in the center. Noticed a construction worker on the side. Went to them first.

Cannot make out the smug-looking smile on the person behind them, unfortunately.

Opened up the city after watching the tower light up. First stop: Juice Shoppe. +32 Speed EVs for San-D :krokorok: for only a Mago Berry and a Persim Berry. Limits you to one a day, understandably.

Scoured the city for freebies. Barged in on someone in the bathroom for Echoed Voice. What is this game teaching young children?

Received the phrase "I live only for sleep!" for Trainer PR videos. How odd.

Leveled everyone to 37. Evolved :frogadier:Jum-P:greninja: and :carvanha:Gush:sharpedo:. Switched in Gush :carvanha: to a Vine Whip one-shot from a Battle Chateau Carnivine :carnivine:, as a note. (Underestimates their damage due to being level 20.) Steadily renders that stat worthless too. Represents impatience with leveling more than anything.

Farmed cash and style as well. Forked over 100,000 Pokedollars for a Zipped Shirt Combo.

|Deduced a pattern between the villains. Gravitates towards high places. Asked around for the tallest structure nearby. Pointed in the same direction: the Illuminated Fortress's Beacon of Dawn.

|Suspected the architect of this structure to be a mad scientist. Hid behind electronic screens. Insisted on simple guessing games, punctuated with violence. Played along to keep their guard down. Would not expose themselves if they felt threatened. Paid off. Found them in the flesh on the top floor.

Strategy: Remembers this being no pushover. Recalls Emolga :emolga:, Magneton :magneton:, and Heliolisk :heliolisk:. Fears a Grass or Water move (namely Surf or Energy Ball) on Heliolisk :heliolisk:. Believes Grass. Brought Fighting types as back-up. Lacks a solid answer for Emolga :emolga:, outside of Rock Tomb. Gave San-D :krokorok: the Eviolite, also.
Team: :krokorok::skuntank::houndoom::malamar::scraggy::pangoro:

Turn 1: :emolga: Aerial Ace (66/92) / :krokorok: Rock Tomb (55%, -1 Speed)
Turn 2: :krokorok: Rock Tomb (miss) / :emolga: Aerial Ace (36/93)
Turn 3: :krokorok: Soda Pop (heal to full) / :emolga: Aerial Ace (66/93)
Turn 4: :krokorok: Rock Tomb (the rest) (Moxie boost)
Turn 5: :krokorok: Switch :houndoom: / :heliolisk: Quick Attack (96/115)
Turn 6: :houndoom: Fire Fang (65%) / :heliolisk: Thunderbolt (44/115)
Turn 7: :houndoom: Fire Fang (miss) / :heliolisk: Thunderbolt (the rest :faintedazurill:)
Turn 8: :heliolisk: Quick Attack (50/93) / :krokorok: Bulldoze (the rest)
Turn 9: :krokorok: Mud-Slap (25%, -1 Accuracy) / :magneton: Electric Terrain
Turn 10: :krokorok: Bulldoze (the rest)

Blergh. Two 5% misses. Flamethrower when? (Level 50 or Anistar City at a specific time.)

Checked out the Heliolisk :heliolisk:. Knew Grass Knot (60 power versus San-D :krokorok:), not Energy Ball. Favored Quick Attack over that, interestingly. Could have swept with San-D :krokorok: easily. Chickened out at the last second. Bet correctly on Dry Skin, at least.

|Defended themselves with minions, as one untrained in combat would. Introduced resistance to their circuitry in the form of stone. Grounded the mad lad with the tried-and-true Thunderous Bulldoze.

|Hunted for this tower's power source to cripple the scientist's machinations. Traced the current to a single point: the Perpetual Spark. One more for the collection. Ripped it from its setting. Dimmed the tower, reminiscent of the scientist's eyes moments ago.

Thanks for reading. Farewell for now.

Level: 37
Attack: 67
Defense: 63
Special Attack: 38
Special Defense: 75
Speed: 52
Moves: Scary Face, High Jump Kick, Feint Attack, and Chip Away.

Coro the Pangoro :pangoro:
Hitpoints: 125
Attack: 107
Defense: 73
Special Attack: 60
Speed: 52
Moves: Thief, Body Slam, Vital Throw, and Surf.

Hitpoints: 116
Attack: 86
Defense: 84
Special Attack: 53
Speed: 66

Hitpoints: 115
Attack: 79
Defense: 54
Special Attack: 90
Special Defense: 69
Speed: 95

San-D the Krokorok :krokorok:
Hitpoints: 93
Attack: 79
Defense: 41
Special Attack: 44
Speed: 84
Moves: Rock Tomb, Bulldoze, Crunch, and Mud-Slap

Hitpoints: 129
Attack: 94
Defense: 65
Special Attack: 64
Speed: 73
Moves: Toxic, Slash, Poison Jab, and Flamethrower.

Box
  • Ace the Absol :absol:, level 37.
  • Formosa the Sableye :sableye:, level 37.
  • Evening the Umbreon :umbreon:, level 35.
  • Saikyo the Scraggy :scraggy:, level 30.
  • Jum-P the Greninja :greninja:, level 37.
  • Earth Star the Corphish :corphish:, level 25.
  • Gush the Sharpedo :sharpedo:, level 32.
In-battle Items
  • Soda Pop: 1
  • Sirius: 2 :houndoom::houndoom:
  • Gush: 1 :carvanha:

Last edited:

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Kicks off with another Serena battle. Tried leading with Sirius :houndoom: this time. Level 37 all around :houndoom::sableye::malamar::scraggy::absol::skuntank:.

Turn 1: :houndoom: Bite (75%) / :meowsticf: Flinch
Turn 2: :houndoom: Bite (the rest)
Turn 3: :absol: Quick Attack (92/115) / :houndoom: Fire Fang (70%)
Turn 4: :houndoom: Fire Fang (the rest)
Turn 5: :houndoom: Switch :skuntank: / :chesnaught: Seed Bomb (105/129)
(Black Sludge heal to 113/129)
Turn 6: :skuntank: Poison Jab (50%, poison) / :chesnaught: Bite (100/129)
(Black Sludge heal to 108/129)
Turn 7: :skuntank: Poison Jab (the rest)

Simple.

Oh. Just noticed. Mentioned Tierno going to a fighting dojo. Talks about a sparring dance upon arriving. Went into a building earlier that rented out space to be a dojo. Called itself a dance studio to attract customers.

Found the Will-O-Wisp Technical Machine, Toxic Technical Machine, and a Roseli Berry (for Fairy super effective attacks).

Remembered the vitamins in Lavarre. Maxed San-D :krokorok: out on Speed already. Pumped five Carbos into Sirius :houndoom:, however.

Mentioned leaving an Inkay :inkay: behind at the Daycare in Update 2. Came time to fulfill its destiny. Grew 24 levels, to level 44. Gave it a little more experience manually. Why do this? Superpower at 48 for Earth Star :corphish:.

Caught a leveling partner for Earth Star :corphish: on the way to Lavarre City.

Hana the Skorupi :skorupi:
Level: 30
Ability: Battle Armor
Stats: 71/39/70/31/41/45
Moves: Bug Bite, Poison Fang, Venoshock, and Hone Claws.

Tried for the ideal Impish Battle Armor. Gave up after five. Handed it off to Evening :umbreon: for a Relaxed nature via Synchronize. Fed them vitamins immediately. Increased hitpoints and defense to 79 (+8 and +9, respectively).

Replaces Asuka :skuntank: as the team's primary Poison type. Why? Mentioned the two most dangerous Pokemon being Mega Gyarados :megagyarados: and Mega Gardevoir :megagardevoir:. What do those trainers lead with? Mienshao :mienshao: and Hawlucha :hawlucha:. Cannot count on them being as inept as Korrina.

Turned back to farm money and experience in the Battle Chateau. (More training deaths, as usual :corphish::scraggy:.) Attained Marquis rank during this update. Meant the possibility of Audino trainers and gym leader rematches. Found Viola. Seemed worth recording.
Team: :houndoom::absol::skuntank::greninja::pangoro::sableye:. Level 37 except for Coro :pangoro: at 39. Level 40 for all Battle Chateau gym leader Pokemon.

(Masquerain's :masquerain: Intimidate)
Turn 1: :houndoom: Fire Fang (miss) / :masquerain: Quiver Dance
Turn 2: :masquerain: Quiver Dance / :houndoom: Roar
Turn 3: :houndoom: Fire Fang (55%) / :vivillon: Bug Buzz (critical, 39/115)
Turn 4: :houndoom: Fire Fang (the rest)
(Level up. Masquerain's :masquerain: Intimidate)
Turn 5: :houndoom: Switch :skuntank: / :masquerain: Bug Buzz (62/129)
(Black Sludge heal to 70/129)
Turn 6: :skuntank: Flamethrower (35%) / :masquerain: Quiver Dance
(Black Sludge heal to 78/129)
Turn 7: :masquerain: Bug Buzz (0/129 :faintedazurill:)
Turn 8: :greninja: Smack Down (the rest)

First appearance for Jum-P :greninja:. Came in clutch. First use of Roar too.

Next up: Korrina round 2.

Turn 1: :sableye: Fake Out (5%) / :hawlucha: Flinch
Turn 2: :hawlucha: X-Scissor (58/93) / :sableye: Hone Claws
(Leftovers heal to 63/93)
Turn 3: :hawlucha: X-Scissor (31/93) / :sableye: Aerial Ace (50%)
(Leftovers heal to 36/93)
Turn 4: :hawlucha: X-Scissor (1/93) / :sableye: Aerial Ace (the rest)
(Leftovers heal to 6/93)
Turn 5: :sableye: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / :machamp: Earthquake (30/93)
(Leftovers heal to 35/93)
Turn 6: :machamp: Earthquake (0/93 :faintedazurill:)
Turn 7: :malamar: Reflect / :machamp: Revenge (95/116)
Turn 8: :malamar: Hypnosis (miss) / :machamp: Revenge (74/116)
Turn 9: :malamar: Hypnosis / :machamp: Asleep
Turn 10: :malamar: Psybeam (25%) / :machamp: Cross Chop (38/116)
Turn 11: :malamar: Hypnosis (miss) / :machamp: Cross Chop (2/116)
Turn 12: :malamar: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / :machamp: Cross Chop (81/116)
Turn 13: :malamar: Hypnosis (miss) / :machamp: Cross Chop (47/118)
Turn 14: :malamar: Hypnosis / :machamp: Asleep
(Reflect down.)
Turn 15: :malamar: Reflect / :machamp: Asleep
Turn 16: :malamar: Psybeam (28%) / :machamp: Asleep
Turn 17: :malamar: Psybeam (28%) / :machamp: Cross Chop (14/118)
Turn 18: :malamar: Psybeam (the rest)

Pulls no punches in these rematches. Weathered some close calls, but by design. Cannot wait for Ribbon's :malamar: Psycho Cut at 39. Did not appreciate the bad Hypnosis luck. Spent five turns on Hypnosis to deny four of Machamp's :machamp: turns.

Next up: Grant rematch. Levels 36-40 :sharpedo::scraggy::pangoro::greninja::krokorok::malamar:.

(Golden Hawk's :scraggy: Imtimidate)
Turn 1: :scraggy: High Jump Kick (100%) / :aurorus::faintedazurill:
Turn 2: :tyrantrum: Dragon Claw (11/87) / :scraggy: High Jump Kick (55%)
Turn 3: :scraggy: Switch :pangoro: / :tyrantrum: Dragon Claw (74/134) (Rocky Helmet damage)
Turn 4: :tyrantrum: Dragon Claw (17/134) (Rocky Helment damage) / :pangoro: Vital Throw (the rest)

Much faster.

Continues the boss rush with Ramos. Evolved :skorupi:Hana:drapion: moments beforehand. First battle for them. Levels 38-40 :houndoom::drapion::skuntank::absol::scraggy::sableye:.

Turn 1: :houndoom: Fire Fang (80%) / :jumpluff: Dazzling Gleam (98/121)
Turn 2: :houndoom: Ember (critical, the rest)
Turn 3: :houndoom: Switch :scraggy: (Intimidate) / :gogoat: Earthquake (61/89)
Turn 4: :scraggy: Switch :drapion: / :gogoat: Brick Break (117/128)
(Black Sludge heal to 125/128)
Turn 5: :drapion: Poison Jab (75%, poison) / :gogoat: Earthquake (95/128)
(Black Sludge heal to 103/128)
Turn 6: :drapion: Poison Jab (the rest)

Tanked that -1 Earthquake very well. 125 defense (and +2 levels) versus Asuka's :skuntank: 67. Welcome to the team.

Played this update across three days. Visited the Juice Shoppe a few times. Summary:
  • +32 Speed EV Pink Juice x2 for San-D :krokorok:
  • +10 Speed EV Pink Juice for San-D :krokorok:
  • +32 Speed EV Pink Juice x2 for Sirius :houndoom:
  • +31 Defense EV Yellow Juice for Hana :drapion:
Harvested the first Sitrus Berry crop. Traded one for a Leppa Berry.

Anyways, back to the—oh. Misremembered. Thought the Pokeball Factory was before the gym. Could have used the Experience Share and Lucky Eggs far sooner. Why is Sylveon :sylveon: five levels higher than Heliolisk :heliolisk: after a section with Serena, five other trainers maximum on Route 14, and the gym? Shrugs.

Trained everyone up to 42. Evolved :krokorok:Sand-D:krookodile: and :scraggy:Golden Hawk:scrafty:. Promoted to Duke at the Battle Chateau too (trainers with three level 45 Pokemon). Became a lot scarier there. Adds more Audino trainers like that, on the plus side. Yields 5640 experience per level 45 Audino with the Lucky Egg. Accidentally overleveled Evening :umbreon: by one as a result. (Gained three levels on that fight.)

|Pursued the paper-thin troublemaker into a swamp. Fled into a old, gnarled tree with a door at its base. Followed them in. Led into a quaint, domestic setting. Did they know this was here?

|Disappeared into a teleporter, as one might see in all ordinary homes. Dashed after them with a Gale Step.

|Came into a sewing room with more teleporters and no sign of anyone. Seemed intent on escaping. Called upon the All-Seeing Eye. Detected their footprints leading to the nearest teleport pad. Sprinted through the halo of light.

|Emerged in a bedroom full of life-sized dolls. Turned in unison. Stared with lifeless eyes and frozen grins. Charged forward en masse.

|Was not in the mood for play time. Darted past them from teleporter to teleporter. Eventually led to the puppet master. Identified them by the faux wings on their back: the Pixie's Pinion.

Strategy: Lead with Toxic Spikes. Poison Jab everything :drapion::skuntank::sharpedo:. Might need Sirius :houndoom: for Klefki :klefki:. Knows Sylveon :sylveon: as the only Pokemon there for sure. Perhaps Dedenne :dedenne: too?
Team: :drapion::skuntank::houndoom::krookodile::malamar::sharpedo:.

Turn 1: :drapion: Toxic Spikes / :mawile: Iron Defense
Turn 2: :drapion: Toxic Spikes / :mawile: Crunch (129/136)
(Black Sludge heal to full.)
Turn 3: :drapion: Switch :skuntank: / :mawile: Crunch (133/146)
(Leftovers heal to 142/146)
Turn 4: :skuntank: Flamethrower (90%) / :mawile: Crunch (129/146, -1 defense)
(Leftovers heal to 138/146)
Turn 5: :mawile: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / :skuntank: Flamethrower (90%)
(Leftovers heal to full.)
Turn 6: :mawile: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / :skuntank: Flamethrower (90%)
Turn 7: :skuntank: Flamethrower (the rest)
(Level up.)
Turn 8: :skuntank: Poison Jab (100%) / :mrmime::faintedazurill:
Turn 9: :skuntank: Poison Jab (95%) / :sylveon: Dazzling Gleam (75/150)
(Leftovers heal to 84/150. Toxic damage to Sylveon :sylveon::faintedazurill:.)

Less difficult than the gym leader rematches.

|Studied their movements. Waited for the precise moment of attack. Struck them with a single Baneful Poison Jab. Flooded their veins—or whatever passed for veins—with deadly poison.

|Staggered backward from the force of the blow. Convulsed for a moment. Crumpled to the floor, never to move again.

|Plucked the Pixie's Pinion from their back. Thought back to the reasoning for coming here. What is that papery pest trying to accomplish? May have more depth than their dimensions would imply.

Thank you for reading. Returns to longer portions of the game from here on out. Farewell for now.

Hana the Drapion :drapion:
Level: 42
Hitpoints: 136
Attack: 88
Defense: 132
Special Attack: 67
Moves: Bug Bite, Poison Jab, Toxic Spikes, and Night Slash.

Gush the Sharpedo :sharpedo:
Hitpoints: 117
Attack: 127
Defense: 51
Special Attack: 77
Special Defense: 45
Speed: 91
Moves: Crunch, Ice Fang, Poison Jab, and Aqua Jet.

Hitpoints: 131
Attack: 98
Defense: 97
Special Attack: 59
Special Defense: 82
Speed: 75
Moves: Reflect, Foul Play, Hypnosis, and Psycho Cut.

Hitpoints: 130
Attack: 90
Defense: 63
Special Attack: 108
Special Defense: 79
Speed: 121

San-D the Krookodile :krookodile:
Hitpoints: 135
Attack: 124
Defense: 78
Special Attack: 64
Special Defense: 82
Speed: 122
Moves: Rock Tomb, Bulldoze, Crunch, and Mud-Slap

Level: 43
Hitpoints: 150
Attack: 108
Defense: 77
Special Attack: 74
Special Defense: 59
Moves: Toxic, Night Slash, Poison Jab, and Flamethrower.

Box
  • Ace the Absol :absol:, level 42.
  • Formosa the Sableye :sableye:, level 42.
  • Evening the Umbreon :umbreon:, level 43.
  • Saikyo the Scraggy :scraggy:, level 36.
  • Jum-P the Greninja :greninja:, level 42.
  • Earth Star the Crawdaunt :crawdaunt:, level 42.
  • Golden Hawk the Scrafty :scrafty:, level 42.
  • Coro the Pangoro :pangoro:, level 42.
In-battle Items
  • Hyper Potion: 2
  • Saikyo: 1 :scraggy:
  • Gush: 1 :carvanha:
  • Asuka: 1 :skuntank:
  • Formosa: 1 :sableye:
  • Earth Star: 1 :corphish:

Amethyst

Rookie Trainer
Yep. Definitely getting an itch to replay a Kalos game now. I am also liking the fact that we only have one Pokemon in common across our Dark monotype teams, and that number only goes up to 2 once you factor in my active bench players (I had a rotation of 9-10 Pokemon going for much of that game, and feel like I could have challenged the Elite 4 with two completely different teams). True, my Dark run was in Alola, but I had access to everything you do save Houndoom and Skuntank.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Interesting. Would have guessed more overlap than that. Who was in your main team? Imagines Alolan Muk for sure. Seems so good.

(Watch out for Hawlucha :hawlucha:.)

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Juice Shoppe results:
  • +76 Special Attack EV Blue Juice (14, 32, 30) for Sirius :houndoom:
  • +32 Speed EV Pink Juice for Sirius :houndoom:
  • +64 Speed EV Pink Juice (32, 32) for San-D :krookodile:
Stocked excellent Blue Juice for Sirius :houndoom:. Hit the EV cap on them. Dumped Attack and Defense EVs through berries. Added a Juice Shoppe total to Tracked Stats. Saw the 50000 Ultra Rare Soda too (+5 levels).

Begins this update properly with a question: why do the Team Flare grunts in the Pokeball Factory have level 36 Pokemon?

High Jump Kick miss for an enemy Scraggy :scraggy:. Avoided that completely so far, sometimes thanks to the Wide Lens.

Ah, there. Level 41 double battle at the end.

Placed a bunch of Dark Pokemon in Route 15. First up:

Rush the Mightyena :mightyena:
Nature: Quirky (Neutral)
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 36
Stats: 106/70/66/53/50/66

A Pokemon X exclusive (with Liepard :liepard: as its Y counterpart). Sees no reason to use them. Grabbed an Intimidate Pokemon already. Provides good egg...wait. Sucker Punch only at 62 in X/Y. (48 in OR/AS.) Stinks at egg moves too.

BladeBrownie the Pawniard :pawniard:
Nature: Impish (+Defense / -Special Attack)
Ability: Defiant
Level: 35
Stats: 86/69/59/30/42/54

Compares very closely to Ace :absol: in terms of stat spread. Trades a little Attack and Speed for a lot of Defense. Cannot forget that Steel typing either. Lacks Sucker Punch, due to breeding constraints. May not see many battles. Prefers the last Pokemon of the route.

Beat the Murkrow :murkrow:
Nature: Mild (+Special Attack / -Defense) (Did not fuss too much over this)
Ability: Super Luck
Level: 18
Stats: 50/39/21/45/24/41

Matches Ace :absol: and BladeBrownie :pawniard: in physical offensive stats. Why Beat :murkrow:, then? Typing. Nullifies Ground. Hits Fighting hard too. Chose Super Luck over Moxie for better immediate damage. (Super Luck + Scope Lens = 50% critical rate. 100% with Night Slash.)

(Sidenote: Found "Comic Rush" and "Shojo Beat" for names. Encounters a dog(-ish) and a bird in the same route. Had to reference Mega Man.)

Picked up the Macho Brace, also on Route 15. Seems to have everything good. (No effect on Juice, sadly.)

Wow. A level 46 Doublade :doublade: at the front of Frost Cavern. Jumped up in levels fast.

Overestimated San-D's :krookodile: power. Failed to one-shot Golduck :golduck: at +1 Attack and Marowak :marowak: at +2. Went down to a (likely unnecessary) critical Thrash. Could have avoided that by simply switching.

Knew the dangers of this cave. Rearranged the party for a Brains and Brawn double battle. Slid into them (without knowing their precise location) two seconds later.

(Golden Hawk's :scrafty: Intimidate.)
Round 1: :scrafty: Switch :drapion: / :malamar: Reflect / :grumpig: Power Gem (at :malamar:, 118/141) / :hariyama: Wake Up Slap (at :drapion:, 125/139)
(Black Sludge heal :drapion: to 133/139)
Round 2: :drapion: Poison Jab (at :hariyama:, 33%, poison) / :malamar: Psycho Cut (at :hariyama:, the rest :faintedazurill:) / :grumpig: Power Gem (at :malamar:, 92/141)
(Black Sludge heal :drapion: to full.)
Round 3: :drapion: Night Slash (95%) / :malamar: Foul Play (the rest)

Always goes better with actual plans.

Thank goodness for Hana :drapion: and Ribbon :malamar:. Fought a Scrafty :scrafty: + Throh :throh: trainer, followed by Sawk :sawk: + Mienshao :mienshao:. Brought both quite low. Could not have handled this with a fully-evolved and leveled Beat :murkrow:, probably.

Psh. Lost Ribbon :malamar: to a damage range gamble. Averaged 47 damage on the previous two Focus Blasts :medicham:. Took 51 damage (at least) on the third. Should have brought Formosa :sableye:.

Ends Frost Cavern on a weak note. Challenges you with a lone level 48 Houndoom :houndoom:. Respects the level. One-shot it with High Jump Kick. May have been the least dangerous trainer here.

Trudged through Route 17. Yields another new Pokemon.

Ciao the Sneasel :sneasel:
Nature: Timid (+Speed / -Attack)
Ability: Inner Focus
Level: 39
Stats: 95/80/57/35/70/116

Considered Ciao :sneasel: as a Mega Gardevoir :megagardevoir: finisher. Decided against it. Went straight to the box.

Arrived at Sirius's :houndoom: long-awaited moment: Flamethrower Technical Machine. Goodbye, Ember. 122 Special Attack versus 89 Attack, for the record. Also, the option of Hidden Power Poison. Becomes obsolete with Sludge Bomb later.

"Even if I lose something, Luxray finds it for me!" Seems odd to mention a Pokemon only obtainable through the Friend Safari.

What is an update without another Serena battle? Levels 44-47 :drapion::krookodile::malamar::houndoom::crawdaunt::scrafty:.

Turn 1: :meowsticf: Fake Out (139/145) / :drapion: Flinch
(Black Sludge heal to full.)
Turn 2: :meowsticf: Disarming Voice (126/145) / :drapion: Toxic Spikes
(Black Sludge heal to 135/145)
Turn 3: :meowsticf: Disarming Voice (115/145) / :drapion: Night Slash (80%)
(Black Sludge heal to 124/145)
Turn 4: :meowsticf: Shadow Ball (108/145) / :drapion: Night Slash (the rest)
(Black Sludge heal to 117/145)
Turn 5: :drapion: Switch :crawdaunt: / :vaporeon: Aurora Beam (102/123)
Turn 6: :vaporeon: Quick Attack (93/123) / :crawdaunt: Night Slash (50%)
Turn 7: :vaporeon: Muddy Water (miss) / :crawdaunt: Night Slash (the rest)
Turn 8: :crawdaunt: Switch :drapion: / :chesnaught: Seed Bomb (101/145)
(Black Sludge heal to 110/145)
Turn 9: :drapion: Poison Jab (55%) / :chesnaught: Brick Break (76/145)
(Black Sludge heal to 85/145)
Turn 10: :drapion: Poison Jab (the rest)
(Level up. Black Sludge heal to 97/148)
Turn 11: :absol: Quick Attack (84/148) / :drapion: Bug Bite (50%)
(Black Sludge heal to 93/148)
Turn 12: :drapion: Bug Bite (the rest)

Credits Toxic Spikes for preventing possible three-hit knockouts.

Steamrolled through the normal gym trainers. Exited the gym to train and find berries.

Went to Route 16 for a Lum Berry. Wound up in a potentially nasty double battle against a level 40 Gardevoir :gardevoir: and Alakazam :alakazam:. Defeated them flawlessly, even with Beat :murkrow: leading.

One Beat :murkrow: death from Audinos :audino:. Grabbed Ribbon :malamar: for occasional Reflect + Hypnosis setups for safer switches afterwards. Hated to do it, due to typically being in the main party. Prefers no one above the level limit, even if allowed.

Ran into a level 50 Staraptor :staraptor:, Nidoking :nidoking:, and Haxorus :haxorus: while leveling at the Battle Chateau. Barely survived the barrage of Brave Birds and Close Combats. Hoped for Gush's :sharpedo: Ice Fang to at least wound Haxorus :haxorus:. Went down after a missed Ice Fang. Brought out Beat :murkrow: (level 43, still unevolved) versus Haxorus :haxorus:. Won single-handedly. Started to panic after two Dragon Dances. Only seemed to know Dragon Pulse for offense, thankfully. Ending party health:
  • Beat :murkrow:: 31/112 (27.7%)
  • Coro :pangoro:: 28/163 (17.2%)
  • Gush :sharpedo:: 0/136 (0%)
  • Evening :umbreon:: 68/162 (42%) (All from one Close Combat)
  • Jum-P :greninja:: 20/138 (14.5%)
  • Ribbon :malamar:: 14/151 (9.3%)
|Headed east in search of more relics. Spoke of a massive crystal formation that way. Drew villains in like Moonbeam Moths to an Everbright Lantern, no doubt.

|Constructed a city around this famous crystal. Guarded it carefully. Snuck past the sentries, as silent as a Moonlight Skitterer.

|Inspected the crystals closely. Radiated a faint magical aura. Poured some astral energy into it to provoke any dormant powers into awakening. Yielded no reaction. Was this crystal just a tall tale?

|Heard a low, metallic hum at that instant. Whirled around to see that paper trickster again with an angry Quicksilver Blade in hand. Deflected the otherwise fatal strike with the Daunting Sword.

|Crossed blades with them once more before forcing them to retreat. Ordered them to explain their actions. Defied their superior and flitted into a warehouse nearby. Followed them in to find an Astral Sigil on the floor. This again?

|Activated the sigil. Blew back the walls of the warehouse to reveal the Astral Dimension. Stood among the stars and constellations now. Paved a path through it with Luminescent Glass. Confirmed this to be a repeat of the last encounter.

|Braved the spirits inhabiting the Astral Dimension. Travelled the winding path until an abrupt end at a compressed galaxy and a person standing before it. Gleamed with the light of the cosmos.

Leveled everyone to 48. Feels confident going in, being the Psychic gym in a Dark monotype. Expects to see Meowstic :meowstic:, Claydol :claydol:, and Espeon :espeon:.

Strategy: Let San-D :krookodile: win alone. (Considered letting Sirius :houndoom: solo it too.) Plans to Hone Claws once for safety. Gave them a Roseli Berry in case of Dazzling Gleam too.
Team: :krookodile::drapion::crawdaunt::sharpedo::houndoom::malamar:. (Almost went in with only San-D :krookodile:.)

Turn 1: :krookodile: Hone Claws / :sigilyph: Reflect
Turn 2: :krookodile: Hone Claws / :sigilyph: Air Slash (113/153)
Turn 3: :krookodile: Hone Claws / :sigilyph: Air Slash (70/153)
Turn 4: :krookodile: Crunch (critical, 100%) (Moxie boost)
(Level up.)
Turn 5: :krookodile: Crunch (100%) (Moxie boost) / :slowking::faintedazurill:
(Enemy Reflect down.)
Turn 6: :krookodile: Crunch (100%) / :meowsticf::faintedazurill:

Had to be sure. Worked out.

|Rended the barriers between dimensions with the Honed Claw of Githyanki. Collided the Astral Dimension with the Material Plane. Proved to be too much for the compressed galaxy. Dispersed into countless glittering stars with a resounding Crunch, as well as the person next to it.

|Took advantage of the new exit. Crossed back into the Material Plane before the barrier reformed. Snatched one particularly large, glimmering star before doing so, however. Looked at it in pure sunlight. Appeared to be a seventh relic: the Dreamyard's Allure.

|Never found that loose-leaf scoundrel. Expected them to reappear again soon enough.

Thank you for reading. Farewell for now.

Level: 48
Hitpoints: 155
Attack: 101
Defense: 150
Special Attack: 76
Special Defense: 84
Speed: 97
Moves: Bug Bite, Poison Jab, Toxic Spikes, and Night Slash.

Gush the Sharpedo :sharpedo:
Hitpoints: 136
Attack: 147
Defense: 59
Special Attack: 89
Special Defense: 53
Speed: 105
Moves: Crunch, Ice Fang, Poison Jab, and Aqua Jet.

Hitpoints: 151
Attack: 113
Defense: 112
Special Attack: 67
Special Defense: 94
Speed: 86
Moves: Reflect, Superpower, Hypnosis, and Psycho Cut.

Hitpoints: 148
Attack: 96
Defense: 68
Special Attack: 133
Special Defense: 89
Speed: 143
Moves: Bite, Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, and Hidden Power (Poison)

Hitpoints: 156
Attack: 146
Defense: 90
Special Attack: 72
Special Defense: 96
Speed: 152
Moves: Hone Claws, Bulldoze, Crunch, and Mud-Slap

Earth Star the Crawdaunt :crawdaunt:
Hitpoints: 132
Attack: 144
Defense: 108
Special Attack: 91
Speed: 58
Moves: Crabhammer, Superpower, Night Slash, and Rock Tomb.

Box
  • Ace the Absol :absol:, level 42.
  • Formosa the Sableye :sableye:, level 48.
  • Evening the Umbreon :umbreon:, level 48.
  • Saikyo the Scraggy :scraggy:, level 38.
  • Jum-P the Greninja :greninja:, level 48.
  • Asuka the Skuntank :skuntank:, level 48.
  • Golden Hawk the Scrafty :scrafty:, level 48.
  • Coro the Pangoro :pangoro:, level 48.
  • Beat the Murkrow :murkrow:, level 48.
  • BladeBrownie the Pawniard :pawniard:, level 35.
  • Rush the Mightyena :mightyena:, level 36.
  • Ciao the Sneasel :sneasel:, level 39.
In-battle Items
  • Hyper Potion: 2
  • San-D: 4 :sandile::sandile::sandile::krookodile:
  • Ribbon: 3 :inkay::inkay::malamar:
  • Gush: 2 :carvanha::sharpedo:
  • Asuka: 1 :skuntank:
  • Formosa: 1 :sableye:
  • Earth Star: 1 :corphish:
  • Beat: 1 :murkrow:
Juice Shoppe Totals
  • +170 Speed EV Pink Juice for San-D :krookodile:
  • +76 Special Attack EV Blue Juice for Sirius :houndoom:
  • +96 Speed EV Pink Juice for Sirius :houndoom:
  • +31 Defense EV Yellow Juice for Hana :drapion:

Amethyst

Rookie Trainer
My Elite 4 team ended up being Alolan Muk, Incineroar, Tyranitar, Greninja, Weavile, and Malamar. I gave serious consideration to Honchkrow, Krookodile, Alolan Persian (Technician forgives many sins, especially when the Pokemon has Fake Out at its disposal), Umbreon, and Pangoro, all of whom featured on my main team at some point or another, some for multiple Islands. The biggest surprises to me were Muk bossing everything and everyone around, and Tyranitar not being quite as dominant as one would expect him to be.

Deva

"Regular" Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
US Eastern Time
3DS FC
4210-4539-8161
IGN
Deva
Rings you up right outside the gym. Paraphrased Lysandre: "Prepare to die. Sorry, not sorry. Bye."

Thought about how to handle Lysandre. Dropped Hypnosis for Topsy-Turvy on Ribbon :malamar:. Engaged Lysandre for the first time.

Turn 1: :malamar: Reflect / :mienfoo: Swords Dance
Turn 2: :malamar: Topsy-Turvy / :mienfoo: High Jump Kick (136/151)
Turn 3: :malamar: Superpower (90%) / :mienfoo: Acrobatics (130/151)
Turn 4: :malamar: Superpower (the rest)
(Gyarados's :gyarados: Intimidate. +1 attack from Contrary :malamar:.)
Turn 5: :gyarados: Aqua Tail (114/151) / :malamar: Psycho Cut (95%)
Turn 6: :gyarados: Aqua Tail (miss) / :malamar: Psycho Cut (the rest)
(Level up.)
Turn 7: :pyroar: Fire Blast (69/154) / :malamar: Superpower (100%)
Turn 8: :malamar: Superpower (100%) / :murkrow::faintedazurill:

Hm. Worked perfectly through Gyarados :gyarados:. Good enough? May want to level BladeBrownie :pawniard: for the Honchkrow :honchkrow: later. Could have set up on Pyroar :pyroar: with Sirius :houndoom: instead.

"And I mean tall. If you stretched out a Seviper and stood it up, he'd be that tall." Checked Serebii. Says 8 feet, 10 inches (2.7 meters) for Seviper :seviper:. Recalls hearing nine feet, in reference to height. (Appears to be "over nine feet tall", but close enough.)

Feels bad for an enemy Scrafty :scrafty:. Used Facade several turns in a row. Took a Poison Jab for 45% of its health. Poisoned it too. Chose High Jump Kick that turn and missed. Flopped over to poison damage.

What are these weak Golbats :golbat:? Outsped one with Ribbon's :malamar: 92 Speed at level 51.

...Wait. Met the Frost Cavern Team Flare person again. Level 46 Houndoom :houndoom:? Used to be 48. What?

Really liked the storybook cutscene. Elevated the tale beyond just words.

Chuckles. Survived an X-Scissor on Ribbon :malamar:. Switched to Hana :drapion:. Defeated the Crobat :crobat:. Sent out their own Malamar :malamar:. Returned the favor with Bug Bite.

Talked to people in the Pokemon Center. Mentioned the gigantic weapon. Passed the game polish check.

Halted just before entering the base. Flew to Laverre for Hitpoint and Defense vitamins for Ribbon :malamar:. Ate maybe six HP Ups and four Irons.

Time for Lysandre v2. Level 53 for Ribbon :malamar:, 50 for San-D :krookodile:, and 48-49 for the rest :scrafty::greninja::drapion::houndoom:.

Turn 1: :mienshao: Swords Dance / :malamar: Reflect
Turn 2: :mienshao: High Jump Kick (107/174) / :malamar: Topsy-Turvy
Turn 3: :mienshao: Swords Dance / :malamar: Superpower (60%)
Turn 4: :mienshao: High Jump Kick (80/174) / :malamar: Superpower (the rest)
(Gyarados's :gyarados: Intimidate. +1 Attack from Contrary :malamar:)
Turn 5: :malamar: Moomoo Milk (heal to full) / :gyarados: Aqua Tail (critical, 81/174)
Turn 6: :malamar: Moomoo Milk (heal to full) / :gyarados: Aqua Tail (159/174)
Turn 7: :gyarados: Aqua Tail (142/174) / :malamar: Psycho Cut (90%)
Turn 8: :malamar: Psycho Cut (the rest)
(Reflect down. Pyroar's :pyroar: Unnerve.)
Turn 9: :malamar: Switch :houndoom: / :pyroar: Fire Blast (immune, Sirius's :houndoom: Flash Fire)
Turn 10: :houndoom: Nasty Plot / :pyroar: Hyper Voice (80/146)
Turn 11: :houndoom: Flamethrower (90%) / :pyroar: Hyper Voice (12/146)
Turn 12: :houndoom: Flamethrower (the rest)
(Sitrus Berry heal to 49/146)
Turn 13: :houndoom: Moomoo Milk (heal to full) (Final item) / :honchkrow: Aerial Ace (79/146)
Turn 14: :houndoom: Flamethrower (100%)

Chose to safety heal at the right moment.

"Even if things are just as we heard, I can't believe they're sending smart guys like us to run off some little 'Rattata' that wandered in." Cannot find wild Rattata in Kalos, even in the Friend Safari.

Defeated Xerneas :xerneas: once. Caught it on the second go-around. Likes to beat them before capturing them. (Considered it good enough the first time. Failed to catch it in a Heal Ball :healball:. Fell to poison damage.) Smoked Hana :drapion: and Jum-P :greninja: with Moonblasts while catching it on the second try. Counted those as wild Pokemon deaths.

Now for the headline fight: Robo Bug Lysandre. Level 54 for Ribbon :malamar:, 52 for San-D :krookodile:, 50 for Hana :drapion:, 49 for Golden Hawk :scrafty:, and 48 for the rest :greninja::houndoom:. Considered opening with Topsy-Turvy. Opted for the safer Reflect.

|Received a taunting message via hologram. Came from the Red Lion. Recalled their face earlier from the Illuminated Fortress. Raved about immortality, destroying the world, and an "Insurrection Machine". Telegraphed their base of operations in their arrogance: Geosenge Town.

|Spotted their secret base near the massive crystal flower that had sprouted from the ground. Pulsed with an unholy light. Explained the earlier lack of subtlety.

|Infiltrated the lair. Spotted that two-dimensional pest knocking out guards. Bolted past, despite the desire for a conversation. Prioritized the more dangerous lunatic first.

|Located the power grid for the Insurrection Machine. Redirected its targeting onto itself. Attracted the attention of the Red Lion in doing so, however. Wore a suit Vikavoltaic Armor.

|Set the Insurrection Machine to fire in five minutes. Relished the extra time pressure.

Round 1: :mienshao: Acrobatics (128/177) / :malamar: Reflect
Round 2: :mienshao: Acrobatics (105/177) / :malamar: Superpower (75%)
Round 3: :mienshao: Acrobatics (89/177) / :malamar: Superpower (the rest)
Round 4: :malamar: Moomoo Milk (heal to full) / :pyroar: Fire Blast (84/177)
Round 5: :malamar: Switch :houndoom: / :pyroar: Fire Blast (immune, Sirius's :houndoom: Flash Fire)
Round 6: :houndoom: Nasty Plot / :pyroar: Hyper Voice (55/146)
Round 7: :houndoom: Switch :scrafty: (Intimidate) / :pyroar: Hyper Voice (79/130)
Round 8: :pyroar: Fire Blast (15/129) / :scrafty: High Jump Kick (100%)
(Level up. Reflect down.)
Round 9: :scrafty: Switch :drapion: / :honchkrow: Aerial Ace (130/161)
(Black Sludge heal to 140/161)
Round 10: :drapion: Toxic Spikes / :honchkrow: Aerial Ace (110/161)
(Black Sludge heal to 120/161)
Round 11: :drapion: Poison Jab (50%) / :honchkrow: Aerial Ace (87/161)
(Black Sludge heal to 97/161)
Round 12: :drapion: Moomoo Milk (for :malamar:, heal to full) / :honchkrow: Aerial Ace (67/161)
(Black Sludge heal to 77/161)
Round 13: :drapion: Switch :malamar: / :honchkrow: Aerial Ace (141/177)
Round 14: :malamar: Reflect / :honchkrow: Night Slash (120/177)
Round 15: :malamar: Superpower (the rest)
(Level up. Gyarados's :gyarados: Intimidate. +1 Attack from Contrary :malamar:. Mega Evolution to Mega Gyarados :megagyarados:)
Round 16: :megagyarados: Aqua Tail (92/180) / :malamar: Superpower (100%)

Went so poorly with early Pyroar :pyroar:. Doubted Ribbon's :malamar: ability to outspeed and/or survive a Fire Blast. Still managed the one-shot on Mega Gyarados :megagyarados:.

Realized how useless Toxic Spikes was after the first layer. Did not waste a turn on Topsy-Turvy, at least.

Interesting sidenote: Looked up Lysandre's team afterward. Glanced into dialogue. Changed one line between X and Y at Cafe Soleil (with Diantha near the start of the game).
X: "I would make this world unchanging and eternal so all beauty will last forever."
Y: "I would end the world in an instant so that beauty never fades."

|Disabled the Red Lion with a Superpower Suplex. Escaped with the power of Gale Step. Exited just as the Insurrection Machine's energy blast vaporized itself.

|Saw no sign of the recurring fiend. Seemed to prefer notes over signs. Secreted one into the personal pocket dimension, next to the Steppes of Courage. Mapped out the location of an eighth relic. Marked a vault door with an 'X' above it as well. What was their endgame?

Progressed to Couriway. Beat Sycamore without issues. Turned around to delve into Terminus Cave.

Obtains Pupitar :pupitar: in this area in Y. Did not want them, regardless. Provides no good resistances for the final gym or many Elite Four members. Picks up zero egg moves, including Dragon Dance.

Why is every cave filled with Fighting type trainers? Barely avoids two-shots on Hana :drapion: with the highest Defense on the team. Spent one Hyper Potion on a Sawk :sawk: with Close Combat.

Scooped up the reason for going in: the first Dusk Stone. (Acquires the rest from the nearby Inverse Battle sometimes, Laverre City in post-game, and Super Training.) Evolved :murkrow:Beat:honchkrow:. Taught it Sucker Punch from the Move Relearner.

Thank goodness. Learned Earthquake on San-D :krookodile: just before the bridge gauntlet.

"Hey, do you know what's about to happen?" Arrived at said bridge gauntlet. Remembers Talonflame :talonflame:, Florges :florges:, Delphox :delphox:, and maybe Goodra :goodra:.
Team: :houndoom::krookodile::malamar::drapion::greninja::honchkrow:. Levels 51-56.

First trainer: Shauna.
Round 1: :houndoom: Nasty Plot / :delcatty: Play Rough (110/154)
Round 2: :houndoom: Nasty Plot / :delcatty: Play Rough (miss)
Round 3: :houndoom: Nasty Plot / :delcatty: Play Rough (64/154) (Sitrus Berry heal to 102/154)
Round 4: :houndoom: Flamethrower (100%)
Round 5: :houndoom: Sludge Bomb (80%) / :goodra: Earthquake (0/154 :faintedazurill:)
Round 6: :krookodile: Earthquake (the rest) (Moxie boost)
Round 7: :krookodile: Earthquake (100%) / :delphox::faintedazurill:

Figured maybe Muddy Water, but not Earthquake. Next up: Tierno.

Round 1: :krookodile: Crunch (65%) / :talonflame: Acrobatics (114/175)
Round 2: :krookodile: Crunch (the rest) (Talonflame's :talonflame: Flame Body) (Moxie boost)
Round 3: :krookodile: Switch :malamar: / :roserade: Petal Dance (86/183)
Round 4: :malamar: Switch :honchkrow: / :roserade: Petal Dance (critical, 79/175, confusion on Roserade :roserade:)
Round 5: :roserade: Hit itself / :honchkrow: Fly
Round 6: :roserade: Petal Dance (miss) / :honchkrow: Fly (100%)
Round 7: :honchkrow: Switch :greninja: / :crawdaunt: Crabhammer (105/150)
Round 8: :greninja: Grass Knot (80%) / :crawdaunt: Crabhammer (60/150)
Round 9: :greninja: Grass Knot (the rest)

Forgot to teach Rock Tomb. Saw that Flame Body burn from a mile away. Ends off with Trevor after a party heal.

Round 1: :houndoom: Switch :krookodile: / :raichu: Nuzzle (immune)
Round 2: :krookodile: Power-Up Punch (35%) / :raichu: Slam (miss)
Round 3: :krookodile: Power-Up Punch (55%) (Raichu's :raichu: Static) / :raichu: Slam (142/175)
Round 4: :krookodile: Paralyze Heal / :raichu: Slam (miss)
Round 5: :krookodile: Earthquake (critical, the rest) (Moxie boost)
(Level up.)
Round 6: :krookodile: Earthquake (100%) / :florges::faintedazurill:
Round 7: :krookodile: Crunch (100%) / :aerodactyl::faintedazurill:

A much better outcome from setup.

Bagged a new Dark Pokemon at the Pokemon Village.

Chara the Zoroark :zoroark:
Level: 49
Nature: Sassy (+Special Defense / -Speed)
Ability: Illusion
Stats: 121/109/67/130/81/109

Enters the game too late for consideration. Likens them to a more offense-oriented Sirius :houndoom:. Boasts the same Nasty Plot trick. Admits to being tempted by its Speed. Ekes out a few (possibly) crucial points there. Favors Sirius :houndoom: for its resistances, Sludge Bomb access, and the effort values already invested.

Defeated the gym trainers. Lost Beat :honchkrow: to a single Blizzard from Mamoswine :mamoswine:. (Switched Sirius :houndoom: out in fear of not having enough power and falling to Earthquake.)

Brought everyone to level 59. Issued a Silver Writ of Invitation for 100,000 Pokedollars to speed things up. Shied away from extra levels on trainers. Recouped the money while there. Did not want a level 55 or 60 Staraptor :staraptor:.

|Sped to the opposite side of the country, as indicated by the map, using the Quicksilver Skates. Crossed through marshland and rugged hills. Reached a valley with a quiet town, covered in a blanket of snow. Stood out from the surrounding terrain. Presumed the destination to be within the town.

|Focused immediately on a long, narrow building. Matched none other nearby. Bypassed the locked door with a Somber Shadow Sneak.

|Discovered the building to be a single room. Consisted of one main walkway from end to end. Littered the floor and walls with spiked pits and ice. Rotated entire sections of the building to unsteady your footing. How deliciously impractical.

|Presented no problem for one trained in the Bessatsu Style. Pounced from one precarious perch to the next. Timed jumps in rhythm with the rotating floors.

|Spotted a lone figure at the end. Looked like a humanoid walrus with their blubbery build and broad, square head. Felt a chilly air about them, even from several meters away. Wrote "Wallmaster" on the map. Presumed this to be them.

Strategy: Lead with Sirius :houndoom:. Use Nasty Plot once. Burn everything. Guesses Abomasnow :abomasnow:, Cryogonal :cryogonal:, and Avalugg :avalugg:.
Team: :houndoom::scrafty::drapion::krookodile::malamar::greninja:.

(Abomasnow's :abomasnow: Snow Warning.)
Round 1: :houndoom: Nasty Plot / :abomasnow: Ice Beam (141/177)
(Hail damage to 130/177)
Round 2: :houndoom: Flamethrower (100%)
(Hail damage to 119/177)
Round 3: :houndoom: Flamethrower (100%) / :cryogonal::faintedazurill:
(Hail damage to 108/117)
Round 4: :houndoom: Flamethrower (100%) / :avalugg::faintedazurill:

Precisely as planned. Gives you the Ice Beam Technical Machine for winning too.

|Cut through the frigid air with an Omega Flamethrower. Created a burning pyre in an instant. Left ashes and a single golden snowflake behind. Knew this as the Eternal Winter. Caused the unnatural weather around here, most likely.

|Departed for the other destination on the map: the vault. Suspected all to be made clear soon.

Concludes this update. Thank you for reading. Challenges the Elite Four and Champion next time. Farewell for now.

Level: 59
Hitpoints: 198
Attack: 130
Defense: 187
Special Attack: 92
Special Defense: 102
Speed: 120
Moves: Swords Dance, Poison Jab, Toxic Spikes, and Crunch.

Jum-P the Greninja :greninja:
Hitpoints: 177
Attack: 150
Defense: 107
Special Attack: 158
Special Defense: 117
Speed: 148
Moves: Grass Knot, Extrasensory, Surf, and Water Shuriken

Hitpoints: 193
Attack: 144
Defense: 154
Special Attack: 78
Special Defense: 114
Speed: 108
Moves: Reflect, Superpower, Topsy-Turvy, and Psycho Cut.

Hitpoints: 177
Attack: 114
Defense: 81
Special Attack: 165
Special Defense: 108
Speed: 180
Moves: Crunch, Flamethrower, Nasty Plot, and Sludge Bomb

Hitpoints: 187
Attack: 174
Defense: 107
Special Attack: 87
Special Defense: 114
Speed: 183
Moves: Power-Up Punch, Earthquake, Crunch, and Mud-Slap

Golden Hawk the Scrafty :scrafty:
Hitpoints: 159
Attack: 127
Defense: 157
Special Attack: 70
Special Defense: 179
Speed: 94
Moves: Scary Face, High Jump Kick, Crunch, and Chip Away.

Box
  • Ace the Absol :absol:, level 47.
  • Formosa the Sableye :sableye:, level 57.
  • Evening the Umbreon :umbreon:, level 59.
  • Saikyo the Scrafty :scrafty:, level 42.
  • Gush the Sharpedo :sharpedo:, level 59.
  • Asuka the Skuntank :skuntank:, level 59.
  • Earth Star the Crawdaunt :crawdaunt:, level 59.
  • Coro the Pangoro :pangoro:, level 59.
  • Beat the Murkrow :honchkrow:, level 59.
  • BladeBrownie the Pawniard :pawniard:, level 39.
  • Rush the Mightyena :mightyena:, level 36.
  • Ciao the Sneasel :sneasel:, level 39.
  • Chara the Zoroark :zoroark:, level 49.
In-battle Items
  • Moomoo Milk: 4
  • Hyper Potion: 3
  • Paralyze Heal: 1
  • San-D: 4 :sandile::sandile::sandile::krookodile:
  • Ribbon: 3 :inkay::inkay::malamar: