Samsung's Foldable Display

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
At the Samsung Developer Conference (SDC) there was quite a large, and long awaited, announcement. Samsung has been working on a device for quite a few years now that will double up as a tablet and a phone, and it'll be ready for mass production "in the coming months". This could mean every major phone manufacturer could also follow suit and create a device like this in the future.

What are your thoughts on this new step in mobile technology? Are you excited to see the possibilities? Do you just want phones to be phones and nothing more?

Personally, I'm very excited for this and will be more than happy to buy one of these as soon as its released. I've been waiting in anticipation to see Samsung finally producing a viable product and really can't wait to see the possibilities.

Dizzy

Happy Home Showcaser
AKA
Rowlix
Time Zone
CST
Honestly it feels like the Nintendo DS clam shell all over again. One drop and *snap*.

Matthew

Tech Enthusiast
Time Zone
Central
I'm excited for this. But I would never get the first iteration. We'll have to see the reviews and what problems the first iteration has. The 2nd or 3rd iteration will be the one to get because it will have all the issues worked out.

Trance

resident marriland brony
AKA
Mike, PokeEpic
Time Zone
GMT+8
man, it's going back to the flip phone days kinda, pretty cool

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
It sounds pretty neat to have another 2 in 1 device. I wouldn't get it because I just got a tablet and I'm content with my phone, also, being the first of its kind it would likely have some unpredicted user issues. A lot of thought will have to go into both of the components it make it worth buying over a separate tablet and phone.

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
I'm excited for this. But I would never get the first iteration. We'll have to see the reviews and what problems the first iteration has. The 2nd or 3rd iteration will be the one to get because it will have all the issues worked out.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't get the first one normally, but I'm so so SO excited for this it's not funny.

man, it's going back to the flip phone days kinda, pretty cool
Like the flip phone days, but WAY cooler.

It sounds pretty neat to have another 2 in 1 device. I wouldn't get it because I just got a tablet and I'm content with my phone, also, being the first of its kind it would likely have some unpredicted user issues. A lot of thought will have to go into both of the components it make it worth buying over a separate tablet and phone.
They're putting their focus into multi-tasking, which I feel is the main gain from this. I just like technology and get very excited over it.

Last edited:

Biohazard

Cool Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
i will say that the idea is p neat, tho i will be not getting it because i'm already happy with phone i own rn

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
Gotta say... I'm impressed. Although I've heard for years that they were working on some sort of foldable display, I never would've actually thought it would come to fruition. I thought it would've been some sort of permanently on-going project that they might never really finish up on.

... But honestly? I'm glad I'm wrong. Maybe. We'll see what 2019 holds if/when Samsung releases their first iteration of bendable smartphones, but for media consumption gurus, this might be the device they've been looking for.

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
Gotta say... I'm impressed. Although I've heard for years that they were working on some sort of foldable display, I never would've actually thought it would come to fruition. I thought it would've been some sort of permanently on-going project that they might never really finish up on.

... But honestly? I'm glad I'm wrong. Maybe. We'll see what 2019 holds if/when Samsung releases their first iteration of bendable smartphones, but for media consumption gurus, this might be the device they've been looking for.
I'm with you on this. We've known they have been working for years on this and, honestly, I'm thinking of how handy a device like this will be for multitasking, especially in meetings for work.

Not only will this be good for media consumption but it'll be amazing for the corporate world as well.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
Pretty cool, but I don’t think I’ll get one as I’m so used to the traditional displays.

Ice_Dragon

The Fairy Dragon
Staff Emeritus
Time Zone
GMT +8
This isn't new technology since it's basically a 3DS XL with the borders removed, but it's still an interesting development for smartphones!

I wonder how popular these phones will be though, since single notchless displays are flavor of the season right now.

Screem

Sir Premium
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
+8 GMT
Switch FC
SW-4503-9262-0045
This isn't new technology since it's basically a 3DS XL with the borders removed, but it's still an interesting development for smartphones!

I wonder how popular these phones will be though, since single notchless displays are flavor of the season right now.
In the fact that the device folds, yes but the main display on this new mobile device is a single display designed to fold, which has never been done before.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
Looking at it, it's certainly impressive how they're able to do this. It's highly unlikely I get one myself, since I honestly can't see myself really using both the phone and tablet when my current phone is more than enough to satisfy my needs. Still, it'll be interesting to see how far this goes and how many people end up using it.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
i dont understand how this will work seamlessly and it WEIRDS ME OUT. but hey, pretty neat. technology is wild.

Lazuli

✧ Star Fish ✧
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kaity and Bijou
Time Zone
GMT -6
3DS FC
3840-6615-2879
IGN
Kaity, Bijou, Lapis, or Lazuli (depends on the game)
This honestly looks pretty cool. Not going to get a new phone right now but i do like to see the reviews for this thing in the future.

ninetales

Advanced Trainer
Staff Emeritus
The samsung foldable display I saw in the video looks really interesting. It looks like Hwawei is making one as well and it looks really pretty, they're trying to promote it as a phone, tablet and laptop hybrid.