• The Closure of the Marriland Forums

The Marriland Forums will be going into read-only mode on February 15th, 2021. Come October 1st, 2021 the forums will be taken down entirely. More information can be found in this thread. Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gen 8 VGC Battle Spot Series 7 Rental teams!

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
I've been watching this team a lot from at least two different people using it - its hyper offensive to the extreme, and threatens all the most used Pokémon right now.

Credit goes to Binjie for the team, and CybertronVGC for the video :D.

The main idea of the team is to put out so much offensive pressure turn one with dynamax Thundurus & Urshifu, and then have way more momentum first turn. Max Airstream + Adamant Choice Band Wicked Blow will pick up so many KO's and won't give the opponent good opportunities to set up.

It also has some other modes, with Rotom-H, Clefairy and Trick Room Nihilego providing some speed control, redirection. Some of the games I've watched finish on turn 2, with some high risk, high reward plays such as Power Herb Meteor Beam Nihilego sweeps. Give it a go!

Nihilego @ Power Herb
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 20 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Trick Room
- Protect

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Fly
- Superpower
- Protect

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Follow Me
- Protect
- Helping Hand

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 204 HP / 196 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot

Kartana @ Assault Vest
EVs: 12 HP / 52 Atk / 4 Def / 228 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Aerial Ace
- Sacred Sword

Urshifu-Gmax @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 44 HP / 236 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Close Combat

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
Sorry I haven't posted on here in a while, its not been a great month. Still, Wolfe Glick had posted his Players Cup 2 winning team, which is a) really enlightening and b) using Coalossal, which is one of my favourite Pokémon.

It's a long video, but he goes through the team building process with real insight and depth that would be a learning experience for anyone.

I can imagine I'll be seeing Coalossal, and his team, everywhere for the foreseeable future!

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
OK, so here is another Coalossal team, built by the winner of the first Players Cup (Santi), which reached Rank #1 on the Doubles Ladder, and showcased by Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng.

If it's not clear, Coalossal is on of my favourite Pokémon this generation and I'm always interested how people set it up, and make the most of the holes that it opens up. Azumarril is on of the weaker Aqua Jet users and has Sap Sipper as well to make it immune to Grass. It also opens up a potential Perish Song win condition - everything has Protect and 3 Pokémon have Fake Out, so if Glastrier or Coalossal KO two Pokémon, then you can click Perish Song and just stall out the 3 turns until they both faint.

Very interesting and very consistent team, and congratulations to Santi for reaching top of the ladder.

Pokepaste coming soon!

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
Another Rank #1 team, this time Francesco Pardini, which is a Weezing & Regigigas team, with a second mode of Cinderace & Jynx.

What's interesting about this team is when I was brainstorming team ideas with Jynx, I did consider Cinderace, but not with Weezing Regigigas.

Credit to Cybertron for the video! Will put a paste below later :).

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
First game = DYNAMAX CARBINK.

Cybertron showcases a very interesting team, which uses Carbink to set up Trick Room and get a safe switch in for the Gladtier using a Petaya boosted STAB Misty Explosionnon Misty terrain. Very cool team, and some very interesting battles.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix
The great thing about VGC is that gimmicks can work. Like really well.

This team is built by PokeBurm is centred around Slowpoke using Surf to proc Weakness Policy on Torkoal, or give Special Attack boosts to Cradily via Storm Drain. Trick Room is guaranteed via Indeedee with Follow Me and Psychic Terrain, and then it goes from there the team destroys things.

Definitely worth checking out.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix

An interesting team from Dragonair Jordan and presented by Aaron Zheng. It uses Thievul.... THIEVUL.

It showcases a physical Tapu Koko with Unburden Thievul, which is activated using the Electric Seed. Thievul had Howl, which boosts both its and its allies Attack, and a very fast Snarl, which together can be used to either attack early and hard, or stall out stuff like Trick Room.

It's also features a utility Volcarona with Will-o-Wisp and Light Screen, an Iron Defence and Trick Room Bronzong, and a Gladtier and Primarina to work under Trick Room. It's a very interesting team, especially considering how many legendaries there are in the format, that players can still pull out these little gimmicky combinations to use to good effect.

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
IGN
Anthrix

GIGA IMPACT PORYGON2.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Detect

Nihilego @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute
- Protect

Dracovish @ Mystic Water
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Ice Fang
- Substitute
- Protect

Urshifu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Wicked Blow
- Sucker Punch
- Detect

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Tri Attack
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Impact

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Lagging Tail
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 228 HP / 4 Atk / 60 Def / 204 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spirit Break
- Fake Tears
- Trick
- Fake Out

Did you only think Porygon2 could set up Trick Room and Ally Switch?

This is team claimed the #1 spot at the recent Players Cup Qualifiers, and showcased by Aaron Zheng. It originally was used by Japanese player kogepannachan, who apparently played in the tournament but can't qualify for the next round? I have to look into that.

It's a hyper offensive team to the extreme, which uses the surprise factor, two Substitute uses and five hard hitting Pokemon to basically overwhelm the opponent and force you to make sacrifices, which with some prediction, can make.

And finally the Porygon2 has 252 Attack, 252 Special Attack, and can make the most of a Download boost in either stat to pick up some surprise KOs with STAB Max Strikes.

Last edited: