User Input [Serious] or [Sensitive] Tags in General Chat

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
Was wondering if either of these could possibly be inputted into the General Chat sub-forum? I've had a lot of moments where I've thought about posting threads for more serious, possibly sensitive topics for some people. The kind of stuff that could be personal or topics like world affairs/news. I'd imagine this would be used especially for threads where we would only want serious replies, and jokes/non-serious replies aren't allowed. I remember the debate chamber didn't work out, but I'm personally still interested in discussing more serious things.

Though yeah if you think it's unnecessary and won't be utilized very often I can see why this wouldn't be needed.

Varhii

Shaggy Webber
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
SG
Time Zone
EST
I'd be okay with this personally, but I really don't see how this is something necessary. I feel if we were to have a discussion surrounding a more sensitive topic, most members would know to take it seriously. On the same token, it would not hurt at all to have those tags like Ask Reddit does.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
this sort of thing was discussed over in this topic: https://forums.marriland.com/threads/a-debate-tag-in-the-general-chat-subforum.842/

i'm not really sure what staff decided, but it's a bit iffy cuz we did have serious tags on Azuri but they weren't ever used. i think the general consensus is someone can decide if a topic is serious by their standards just by looking at the title - the only thing is that it might help eliminate more jokey posts (which is what it's used for on reddit). from what i've seen jokey posts are kinda discouraged in general chat anyway, at least when they drag down a topic

like i said in the last thread tho my opinion on this aint deep. i dont really have a strong view one way or another, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a tag.

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle
this sort of thing was discussed over in this topic: https://forums.marriland.com/threads/a-debate-tag-in-the-general-chat-subforum.842/

i'm not really sure what staff decided, but it's a bit iffy cuz we did have serious tags on Azuri but they weren't ever used. i think the general consensus is someone can decide if a topic is serious by their standards just by looking at the title - the only thing is that it might help eliminate more jokey posts (which is what it's used for on reddit). from what i've seen jokey posts are kinda discouraged in general chat anyway, at least when they drag down a topic

like i said in the last thread tho my opinion on this aint deep. i dont really have a strong view one way or another, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a tag.
oops completely missed that thread

Yeah I can see that it's might not be used at all, other than eliminating joke posts in a possibly sensitive topic, I was also thinking of posting interesting world news articles and stuff like that. I thought that could be an interesting thing to discuss. Also damn I didn't even realise Azuri had this lol.

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
As Katey mentioned, having a "Serious" or "Sensitive" tag was discussed in another thread. Personally, I'm indifferent to having the tag. It doesn't hurt to have the tag, but it's a question of whether or not it's actually necessary. Like the community is pretty mature and tends to make appropriate posts in these sort of threads, best example being the "What do you believe in?" thread. I think it's only really necessary if we feel that there will be people who don't treat these kinds of threads with the respect that needs to be given to them and make joke/meme-y posts in them instead of making actual serious posts.

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben

Yeah I can see that it's might not be used at all, other than eliminating joke posts in a possibly sensitive topic, I was also thinking of posting interesting world news articles and stuff like that. I thought that could be an interesting thing to discuss. Also damn I didn't even realise Azuri had this lol.
No offense, but this last line here sort of shoots your whole argument in the foot. We had this tag on Azurilland, but it was so un-utilized it might as well have not existed, and I haven't seen there being such an uptick of relevant threads here that it would be necessary. People are able use their own judgment on where seriousness is required, and you're free to put a disclaimer of your own in the thread title itself, like Molly did here: https://forums.marriland.com/threads/death-plan-disclaimer-morbid.876/

Azuviin

Soldier of Affinity
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Michelle

No offense, but this last line here sort of shoots your whole argument in the foot. We had this tag on Azurilland, but it was so un-utilized it might as well have not existed, and I haven't seen there being such an uptick of relevant threads here that it would be necessary. People are able use their own judgment on where seriousness is required, and you're free to put a disclaimer of your own in the thread title itself, like Molly did here: https://forums.marriland.com/threads/death-plan-disclaimer-morbid.876/
Yeah good point.. I guess it wouldn't be that necessary. Just thought it wouldn't hurt. If I knew about it back on Azuri I would have used it though.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Maybe something we could implement is giving thread creators the ability to designate a thread as more serious in the first post? From there, if anyone is making insensitive jokes or memeing it could be reported and staff could step in. I don't think much else is needed right now though, since as far as I know people have been pretty well behaved in discussion threads that are more serious in nature.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
yeah the only real use i can see is marking a thread as "no jokes/memes allowed, please take this topic seriously." otherwise it's more just like "why not," where the same argument can be given for "why."

it is a bit weird for us though because we have g&or where topics can totally be joked about, so jokes are less present in general chat. like how the crushes thread got moved because people weren't exactly talking seriously about forum crushes. jokes aren't against the rules in general chat, but are generally avoided where they aren't appropriate. so it's not SO necessary, but could see some use, potentially? rn i dont see a need for it. definitely make more serious topics if you want, and observe if there is an issue with people not taking it seriously enough to the point where it disrupts the topic. then we can go from there. cuz i haven't seen any major issues yet.