Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519

So little known fact about me, I've not been the biggest fan of Generation 6 historically. I distinctly remember my first experience with it; I got it after months of intense anticipation, I loaded it into my 3ds, and then quit like an hour in because I didn't like it at all. It was was one of the only times I remember being disappointed by a video game, and even though I didn't know what I hated about the game, there was something.

About a year later, I gave the game a proper chance. I did indeed make it farther than the 3rd town, and managed to slog my way up to the snow area. But again, I lost interest and decided I hated the game. This was, coincidentally, around the same time my mad childhood love for Pokemon began to dissipate. Was there a correlation? Probably, but then who really knows. All that mattered at the time was that it wasn't Pokemon Platinum 2, therefore it wasn't worth my time.

But it's been a long time since I last tried Gen 6, and I feel like I need to know where I stand on it as a more "mature" individual. Is this game secretly a brilliant masterpiece this time that I was just rejecting out of petty emotion? Or is it really the dumpster fire my 13 year old brain convinced me it was. Either way, it's something to do instead of finish my backlog of games. So join me on this journey of discovery as I try to figure out if this game didn't just die, but was murdered.

So my biggest problem with this game, if I remember, was the entourage of fake friends the game threw at you. I don't remember exactly how big a role they play in this game, but for now I'll try to be cautiously optimistic about them. For this first encounter, at least, they were pretty harmless.

I chose Chespin on my original playthrough of this game, and I don't care for Delphox, so Froakie was the natural starter choice. Greninja is pretty fun in Smash, at the very least.

I guess this technically started in Gen 5, but the moving camera in the battle windows is a nice touch. Makes everything slightly less static.

I knew this game was was super easy and handholdy, but I didn't remember it being this bad. Why do I already have Bubble, it makes this battle a complete joke. At the very least, it's quicker than a massive tackle-fest.

This nice camera angle won't distract me from the fact this route is literally a straight line. Like seriously, at least put an optional surf path on here or something. You might as well just merge the two towns.

I don't remember being particularly impressed by the games visuals back in the day, but shots like this look pretty great if you ask me.

So apparently your first encounter is scripted to be this exact Pidgey. I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about nostalgia pandering and Kanto favoritism in the future, but for now just know I'm not the biggest fan.

Speaking of Kanto, welcome to Viridian forest everyone. It's just like in Pokemon Rojo y Azul, Te acuerdas?

Okay this is the biggest nitpick of the century, but in 4th gen NPC's would automatically heal your Pokemon, why the sudden change Nintendo? You literally ruined Pokemon.

He literally gave me Poke Balls 5 minutes ago why do I need more?

Why did they change Pikachu's cry? It's so out of place and not even that great tbh.

You know if you're gonna copy paste Viridian Forest, why not copy what made it memorable to begin with? The original level punished you hard if you didn't come prepared with antidotes, with Poisonous Weedle and indestructible Metapod's abound. Now, with on the spot healing and a significant shortage of Weedle, there's nothing really to this dungeon. Like even the music sounded more intimidating, compare the old track to the new one and decide which better suits a video game dungeon

Cut was never particularly well conveyed in the older games, Like why can't I just squeze through a tiny tree? I'm glad this game made the need for it make sense.

Another nice shot. This game looks a lot better than I remember, so far at least.

And here we have the first gym puzzle. I was gonna give it props for starting weird and convoluted right out of the gate, but then I realized those dew drops just solve the puzzle for you. At least it looks cool.

I have brought shame upon my family, I lost to a damn Ledian. Truly, this is the tragedy of not catching a Bidoof.

If there's one thing I remember about the gym leaders in this game, it's that there's nothing memorable about them. Coming off of Gen 5 and how great they handled gym's and gym leaders there, it's kind of disappointing they went back to the style of Gym Leaders only existing in their gyms and never doing anything interesting.

I will give Viola credit, though, opening the easy bug gym battle with a water type is at least a slight challenge to people using Fennekin. Of course, it's just Surskit, so ember would probably still one shot it, but still. It's the thought that counts.

And here we have it, folks, the single most broken mechanic ever to grace the Pokemon series since the days of Missingno. Since I'm trying to have the best possible experience with the game, I'll be turning this off, but still I can't just not mention it. It makes the whole game a joke, just an absolute stomp. You've pretty much beaten the game once you turn it on, the only way to not win with it is to not use it. So yeah, it's loser time.

Before I signed off, I decided to catch a team member, and Combee was the most interesting looking prospect, so I decided on it. Of course, I needed to find a female one, an it took me a good 15ish minutes before I could find one. But that's not even the best part.

By some fluke of luck, I got a crit on the Combee and one shot it. Needless to say, I was mildly furious.

I spent so much time hunting for Combee, that I ran into the perfect Ralts (which may I add is a 5% encounter compared to Combee's 30%), and decided to add it to the team as well.

After 40 total minutes of mindless running, I managed to find a second Combee, and though it was close, I did manage to get this one.

Whoever programmed Combee's gender ratio and thought it was okay is a true monster, for reals. Anyways, I got pretty tired from the grinding, so this is where I cut off the first session.

Last edited:

Kaori

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Sinnoh Survivor
AKA
Vee
Time Zone
GMT+1
You don't see Vespiquen being used very much at all, so I'm glad you picked up a Combee!

Personally I think that giving starters stab at lv. 5 was a great move ー pun intended. It does make the first rival battle a breeze, but it's just nice to have something to hit hard with for early game grinding.

It also makes all the starters more equal in terms of early moves, unlike in past generations. I think Johto is the biggest offender of this with Cyndaquil getting its STAB move 4 levels later than both Chikorita and Totodile. What's up with that!?

Some Asian

Emperor Kim of MDK
AKA
Defender of the Sega Saturn
Time Zone
Never
So... yeah, I can see why X and Y kind of didn't do it for you. It's a game that, to me, works much better for challenge runs like Wedlockes or experiences to play alongside friends (Though even then, (Ultra) Sun and Moon did THAT better as well) rather than casual playthroughs.

Even as someone who has X and Y logged as my 3rd least favorite games in the series that I played, I hope your opinion on it improves.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
If I don't replace this with a relevant intro smash that like button and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

It occurred to me that finding hidden items in 3D may be kind of hard. At the very least, I'm not used to it. The item pictured here is irrelevant.

I got a 20 power Bug move and can't even give it to my bug type? Literally the worst game I've ever played.

I'm sure everybody's said it at this point but why isn't Flabebe a grass type? It's literally a flower.

Apparently Victory Road is accessible from Route 4 or wherever. The fact I never found this giant building proves I wasn't qualified to call this game bad 5 years ago.

Another nice shot. If the game keeps this up, I may dislike the art-style less than I used to.

I was worried that Combee would fall behind in the beginning grind, but Ralts was actually the one who struggled the most. And Combee has a crap nature and moveset, so I'm not sure what that means for Ralts in the future.

Series wide nitpick, why does Magikarp give so little exp? It literally can't do anything, why not just make it grind fodder?

So these are characters that exist, I guess. My memory is hazy, but I think they're secret agents? All I know is that I used to consider these two unremarkable and forgettable.

So now we're in Not Paris. Brand new camera angle, and honestly after running around here I'm glad they stuck to the overhead view in the rest of the game.

I was going to complain about how this is a ridiculous example of Pokemon's Problematic Pacing(That was a good video, by the way.), but then I remembered they did the exact same excuse in Platinum, so I have no right to complain.

Oh boy, what a creative team lineup. I can't possibly predict what this NPC will send out next.

So when I was mindlessly naming all these screenshots, I named this one "nostalgiabait", which I'd argue is a fitting title. This game, and the series as whole, is all too happy to remind the player of how great it used to be. I don't think a little fanservice is too bad, the series has always had little winks and nods to the old games(For example, they sneaked the original game corner theme into the Sinnoh GC.) But it's gotten way out of hand in recent years. All the use of old Pokemon and setpieces is suffocating, especially considering the catch rates. I was going to use a team of all Kalos Pokemon, at first, but planning my team I realized I couldn't because there were so few good ones and the amount of effort it took to find them was ridiculous. So now, counting my starter, I'm using two "new" Pokemon and the rest of my team is just a hodgepodge of my old favorites. Basically, Pokemon has become the berries from South Park.

Wow what a totally non-suspicious character with a normal appearance. I definitely think nothing bad of him.

I have a lot to say about the Lysandre and Team Flare, believe me, but I'm gonna hold back for now. Just know I played the Gen 5 games recently, so the comparison is already an uphill battle.

Glad my thoroughness has finally paid off, at last we have a good item. If it's anything like Gen 5, there are probably 3 I got, so that's all the Pokeballs I'll ever need to buy because the regional dex for this game sucks.

I didn't mention it last time, but the roller skates suck on ice. I like the idea in concept, a fast movement speed without needing an item sounds great, but I'd still like to be able to control my character. Lumiose City was a nightmare because of the skates.

Froakie evolved into Bigger Froakie, so that was cool I guess.

My Combee has one of the worst abilities with Honey Gather, but the game feels the need to make me suffer anyways. At least Vespiquen gets Pressure.

I honestly thought berries were just another feature they abandoned besides the remakes, like walking Pokemon or good story. So I'm glad I was at least wrong about that.

Haha that is a totally epic reference from the epic old games. Remember Gen 1, cause I member.

The game wouldn't let me progress until I checked out this castle, but there's literally nothing in here. I know Perfume Palace or whatever is just around the corner, but if you're gonna make me go to a castle, at least put something inside it. I got bored at this point, so this is the end for now.

Some Asian

Emperor Kim of MDK
AKA
Defender of the Sega Saturn
Time Zone
Never
To be fair, the Shorts one is more a series running gag more than anything.... but yeah, this game does the new Pokemon a colossal disservice by letting the Gen 1 Pokemon hog the spotlight.... again... as if they haven’t for the past 22 years....

What was that castle’s name again? Uh.....

Roller skates I like everywhere EXCEPT Lumiose, whose camera hates you. Not that it matters, I far prefer the D-pad regardless.

Also, glad to hear that you played the Gen 5 games. Until Gen 7 came out, that was my favorite Gen by far, and even now it’s tied with Gen 7.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
yeah this still exists

I've never much cared for this games art style, but playing in the evening makes it work.

Okay even for Pokemon this is a pretty bad roadblock. I literally took one step off the beaten path and the game felt the need to pull me back in place.

Only real 90's kids remember when the games from 1996 pulled this exact same scenario.

Having played the Gen 5 games before this, I really miss Audino grinding. It made prepping for bosses a lot more manageable.

In December I went to Houston and while I was there, I took a tour of the Christmas lights in the rich neighborhoods. It was a whole other world, man, people with massive mansions completely decked out in elaborate patterns of neon lights. This doesn't have anything to do with the game, but screw it.

I also feel like I'm in a dream looking into the black abyss where the world just ends.

no

Yeah okay.

It's weird finding an HM in some random spot, though if it means Cut is optional I'm A-OK with that.

I was about to give the game props for making a mildly interesting puzzle, but then it tried to solve itself after like 5 seconds.

Having played this game with the male character before, this was a really weird scene to come back to. I'll leave it at that.

So yeah now it's time to go out and make some good story progress since I can wake up Garfield.

But forget about that, there was an item behind a bush back at the beginning of the game and I'd rather go get that instead.

There was another trainer in this area with a Volbeat, and I wonder why they didn't just make this a double battle instead of 2 single battles

You can sit down in this game, I forgot to mention. I take back everything I've ever said, you can actually sit on chairs. Game of the year.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Made it 10 days without updating this thing; let's try for 11 next time.

So first double battle. I remember hearing these could chug pretty hard this gen, but at least this time it ran fine.

Oh I sure do- I'll have a lot to say about it when I eventually reach the postgame.

Nice camera work but also that forest isn't convincing.

This is so sad, can we replace these two with good characters?

As far as I can tell I couldn't surf here if I had the HM, but still that little tunnel is the perfect spot to hide a TM or something. Feels like a missed opportunity.

Finally, a good item. That's going straight onto Combee.

So I didn't mention this earlier but apparently you can't run in grass anymore. I really don't understand that, tbh. They probably could just leave it at limiting the skates. Or just let me go fast, that works too.

What an absolute nightmare of a society this world must be if essential infrastructure is only accessible to people with gym badges. This poor backpacker just want's to go home.

In 5th Gen you had to battle these guys before they would start healing you. So I wasted a potion prepping for this fight, smh.

That cave was literally just a straight line. The level design is better than ever.

imagine being able to have a full pokedex (this post made by gen 7 gang)

Okay this whole mountainous route was the first good justification for the 3D perspective. They just couldn't pull off something so vertical in 2D, I guess.

Ya'll ever play Fossil Fighters on DS? It was pretty much just a Pokemon clone, but for what it was it was pretty fun. Anyways I got bored here so this is the end for now.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I went significantly longer than 11 days without an update.

First thing I notice picking this back up is that roadblocks are still ridiculous. Like seriously let me leave.
[
Didn't expect to get such a good item until the postgame. I then remembered there is no postgame content in 3ds Pokemon, and understood why this was here.

'member Rhyhorn? From the old games you bought? No I won't let this horse die but neither will Game Freak so I'm justified.

So Sky Battles were a mechanic that existed in this game. They were literally just regular battles with only flying types, as far as I can tell. Also can we get an F for Xatu, the biggest victim of this thing?

I don't really understand why this cave is laid out like this, it's just some pathways with an awkward camera angle. Doesn't hold a candle to The Great Deku Tree.

Oh look, everyone, it's discount Team Galactic. Aside from their stylish outfits, I really don't care for them. That said, I'm gonna hold off until later in the game to complain about them, because they only get worse as the game goes on.

Lafayette evolved into Hiyoko Saionji

same energy

Haven't mentioned the music much, because honestly it's been pretty forgettable. The soundtracks of all the previous games were great, this one is just above average, I'd say. That being said, Team Flare's battle music is an absolute banger, and the first song on this journey I can see myself listening to after the game.

How did Calem get an Absol this early in the game? I would have probably used one if I knew where to get it (Assuming I could have gotten it by now).

If it were up to me, and hopefully it never comes to that, I would have made that whole dungeon and rock area optional. It contributed nothing to the story, completely broke the games pacing, and just generally felt like a waste of time. I wouldn't want it removed, of course, more content is usually better as a far as I'm concerned, but I don't think it was handled ideally. If it were optional, it could be laid out exactly the same, have the same trainers and give you fossils at the end, but the speedy player wouldn't have to waste their time in some random cave. Plus, I'm sure the kids playing this would feel like proper adventurers finding this on their own; going off the beaten path and being rewarded with an obscure adventure and some rare Pokemon. That's how it would have felt to me as a kid, at least.

I wasn't sure if they could top the 2 screen dowsing machine from Gen 4, but this honestly is really neat. It's quick, it's convenient, and it's got lasers. Truly, this is the way of the future.

Medici evolved into Rochelle Diamante

Yeah that seems like a fair trade.

I don't have a good screenshot to end this on so yeah. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did, and can't wait to update this thread again in 4 months.

Last edited:

SkylarAlpha

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Yeah, you could have gotten Absol by this point actually! The route right before Ambrette, I believe, so you just missed it.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Guess who's back?

Yeah so I was originally gonna put the next part of this up back in July, but my laptop ended up breaking and it took a couple months to repair it. I got it back in September, and am just now remembering I still have this little project to work on. I doubt it will take nearly as long for an update again.

So I took these first couple of screenshots back in June, right after the whole Dexit controversy broke out. If I'd posted this back then I'd probably have put a little rant about it here, but I honestly don't care anyomre.

That's a pretty nice consolation, ngl.

I feel obligated to mention the horrible Haunter trade inn Gen 4. Dare I say, it was pretty cringe bro.

I'm gonna be honest: I have literally no idea why I took this screenshot. I titled it "Another Excuse", but I have no idea what that means.

The cool bike hills has made this city eternally memorable to me. This game doesn't have many city's I remember, so that's pretty cool I guess.

Secret Bench in the gym. I have no idea why they put it in the game, but I honestly love it.

Real gamers will remember when rock climbing was an awful HM move in Gen 4 instead of an intuitive part of the environment. I'm pretty nostalgia blinded to Gen 4, but I can't deny this was an improvement.

Real talk, unlimited inventory space is one of the best things to happen to this series. I've been playing Explorers of Sky in my own time recently, and I have to say the inventory system in that game is a travesty. I don't want to need to have to use a storage system, tbh.

Yet another nice set-piece in this 3ds game. This game really does look a lot better than I remembered.

Like the first gym, this second boss seems to prevent you from just cheesing him with a starter (in this instance Chespin), so that's pretty great.

Forget about this game being too easy, I got one shot by a random crit on the very first turn. We live in a society.

Actually seeing Charmander's model reminds me of why I've never liked this games art style. The colors on everything are just so washed out and dull, it takes a lot of the charm out of the designs. Like I know this is how they're colored in the concept art, but I still think the more vibrant colors of the old games looked better. I found an album showing some of the models with more saturated designs, and they all looked so much better. I guess in the grand scheme this doesn't really matter that much, but it's always bothered me.

IDK why the Pokemon Center suddenly has this super fancy camera angle, but I'm not complaining. It looks pretty neat.

I don't know why I was complaining about this game having a bad regional dex before, looking back at the encounter tables there were actually a lot of good options I could use.

On a similar note to earlier, I'm glad they made TM's reusable. In a recent(ish) playthrough of Platinum, I for some stupid reason replaced Aerial Ace with Pluck on my Altaria (or the other way around, possibly), and I had to go on a whole quest and a half in the battle frontier to fix it up. If it had happened in this game I could have just retaught her the TM.

I'll give the game credit where it's due; this was honestly a neat little strength puzzle. I can't recall another puzzle quite like it, which is pretty cool. Granted, it was still piss easy, but I mean it's the effort that counts.

Colress has a great theme song. That's all I wanted to say.

Why would anyone ever want an Everstone? Like maybe there's some sort of use for breeding or whatever, that's not really my specialty, but I can't see the casual player ever using this.

I didn't remember this town having a good song, but I was pleasantly surprised by it's track. The song wasn't incredible, mind you, but it was good enough for me to notice it and say, "Yeah, that's an above average music track."

Wow what a totally inconspicuous structure that is definitely not a poorly hidden evil lair. No sir, nothing to see here.

One of my favorite features in HGSS, one that I wished got more appreciation, was the photography guy who would take photos of you and your team. While this incarnation doesn't have the Pokemon with you, it was still a real nice surprise to see they put this back in the series.

I don't know if it's just my imagination but the level scaling in this game is pretty steep. Maybe I should have used the dumb EXP Share, IDK.

I figure it's about time I get a 4th teammate, and with Fairy types being the hot new thing this gen, I figured having a poison type would actually be pretty useful. So Nidorino is a character now.

This seemed like a good spot to end the part in, so that'll be that. I actually had a lot of fun this session, probably the most of any of these so far. If the game keeps being like this, I may actually end up liking it.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I didn't take 5 months this time.

Nidorino makes his grand debut. I think he won, I wasn't actually paying attention.

One night after I played most of this session, I slogged through the Northern Desert in Explorers of Sky. I just wanted to mention how cool it is that in this game you don't get stopped every 4 seconds to take sandstorm damage. Seriously, that's a really big deal.

This cave is an actually unique location, how about that? At the very least I don't think there are any mirror caves in the older games.

For whatever reason, you can't use the dowsing machine in caves anymore. I literally have no idea why they made this change, but hey, I probably wouldn't have used it anyways.

This is where the fun begins.

Nidorino evolved into Pulgasari.

I didn't catch it in time, but this NPC's name was Monomi and basically, Danganronpa

TRAIN!

Halfway through the dungeon I discovered the trainers see you through the mirror. I was just such a hardcore gamer that I challenged them first. Yes, you can have my autograph.

I just wanted to have one good fight with Kirlia, but apparently that wasn't possible here.

Again, one good fight is all I asked for. Why must you do this game?

Not even the hiker at the end of the dungeon could play along. We really do live in a society.

Despite everything, it's still you.

"Ooooh" I said aloud as I got this really good item.

The only thing holding back Nidoking at this point was the lack of good moves, but now the time of suffering is over.

I just wanted to remind you that this is a real scene that they actually put in a Sonic the Hedgehog video game.

I don't have a purpose for this shot.

3rd gym leader. I have nothing to say about her atm, so I just want to mention the gym leader theme in this game is really good.

I think there was some story that went on between these last two screenshots, but I got a phone call so I didn't read any of it. Probably wasn't very good anyways, tbh.

Oh boy, here we go.

I think Mega Evolution was an interesting idea, in hindsight, but I think it was completely handicapped by the Pokemon it was given to. A super powered final form isn't inherently flawed, and I think on Pokemon like Beedrill and Sabeleye it ended up working out great. The problem was that they felt compelled to give Megas to Pokemon who really didn't need them. Garchomp and Mewtwo will never not be good, but GF decided to give them buffs anyways (At least they tried with Garchomp, lol). A lot of people, including myself, got turned off of the concept by virtue of how fanservicey it looked. As it stands, it's hard to acknowledge the good the mechanic did in the face of it being the start of Charizard's reign (And reading the leaked dex today and who was cut, I don't imagine Charizard being very well regarded these next couple months.) Basically, even though Mega Evolutions are gone, possibly forever, they really should still make Mega Bibarel.

Also, this is more an aesthetic complaint, but all of the mega evolution look butt ugly. Like a lot of these go from genuinely cool designs to full on goofy anime characters.

With how vaguely similar this tower's theme sounds to Dragonspiral Tower in BW, I can't help but wish this was a proper dungeon. It looks super grand from the outside, but once you get in it's just a few rooms and a stairway. To this areas credit, though, nothing could really top Dragonspiral Tower, so it's not entirely this areas fault it's so mediocre.

Yes I know I'll get a Lapras to surf on in the very area I visit, but I'm very busy and I had to write an essay after I got an item back at the beginning of the game, so those were 5 seconds I couldn't afford to waste.

Ya'll know what's up.

Lafayette evolved into Tony the Tiger From Cereal.

I spent a good minute running around the rocks, but I figure I need to write my essay at some point. When I inevitably get a D- for hitting the bare minimum, I'll be sure to remember all the good times we had here today.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
i'm pretty sure this is the game everyone is playing right now

Gallade's first battle. I think he won, I don't actually remember what happened.

There was some text before that set up a funny joke or something, but I don't remember because I played this bit like a week ago.

I remember when the trailer for this game first dropped and riding Pokemon seemed like the coolest thing ever. In hindsight, it doesn't compare to sitting on chairs.

why?

I don't see any problem with putting the best item in the game on some random rock before the 4th gym.

yikes

Oh you poor baby

I just wanted to heal my Pokemon why must this exciting story interrupt my gaming?

Oh god, it's him.

Snorlax sure is looking different today, eh luigi?

Wow, an empty cave with no music, items, or wild encouters. I wonder what this could be here for?

Just in case this game wasn't easy enough, have some more EXP.

Alola confirmed.

Are you though?

Putting aside the butt-ugly 3ds graphics, this is quite the setpiece. Cross your eyes and it may even look impressive.

Too soon, bud.

Unwavering emotion remix 🥺 🥺 🥺

These vines were also in the trailer. I guess they're actually ropes, if you look at them.

IDK why Exeggutor is suddenly super strong, but I'm not complaining.

Okay I cleared the gym puzzle, explain exactly why I can't take the shortcut back to the start and heal? This is literally the worst game ever made.

Gym 4. I had something I wanted to say for this image, but I forgot.

One thing I guess I miss from BW was the dynamic music, in particular the last Pokemon theme you'd hear in gym battles. It was small, but it added a lot to the game. Taking it out was literal murder.

I didn't get a good shot to end this part on, so please enjoy this picture. I'm sorry this update wasn't super interesting, if it's any consolation the next part is like twice as long and full of good ****. I've actually already played up to the 6th badge as I'm writing this, and will probably go right back to the game after I post this. I think I may like it a bit more than I used to.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
As I'm posting this it's been just above 24 hours since the last update, so you legally cannot ban me.

I don't think there's anything suspicious about this character, no sir not at all. He's certainly not an evil mastermind leading an evil team that is just a ripoff of a previous evil team and also had a leader who looked almost exactly like this perfectly normal guy. Nothing to see here.

Wind is a unique environmental hazard I don't think they've tried before sans a weird gym puzzle, so props for creativity.

I was really surprised that they just hid a key item like this, but then was sent back to reality when the guy 5 feet next to it started talking about how he dropped it. I guess we can't have good things, can we?

This was a bittersweet grunt fight, considering
Golbat and friends got cut from the new game, somehow

Holy **** this dungeon's music is a banger, like wow.

capitalism_irl

oof

So apparently stationary enemies now turn their heads to you as you approach them. That's a neat detail.

Encore Torment combo. Literally top tier Swalot.

I don't remember what this shot was for, probably something about item convenience or whatever.

Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

Who the **** are these characters? I've been trying to figure this out for 12 hours, but I can't do it because they're such interesting and well hidden characters!

Communism strikes again

Okay jokes aside, that was actually a really neat dungeon. Great music, nice graphics, what more could you ask for?

I guess you could ask for a third version of this game to tie up this massive loose end behind me. I know third versions (sans B2W2) are just grubby capitalism, but I feel like we really needed A Pokemon Z version to make this generation feel complete. It feels like they were planning on it, more than they ever seemed to plan for Crystal or Emerald at least. But all the stuff, from this mysterious doorway, to some cryptic messages I'll get to in a bit, to the unused data for Zygarde and Floette swimming around in the code; I don't think there's any doubt Z version was at some point on the table.

Even though I knew to the contrary, I kept worrying each of these Pokemon clouds would sneak attack me, Earthbound style.

I give Sonic Team props for coming up a unique style of random encounters, but I really wish they would have dialed down the frequency a bit. As it stood, I was getting an encounter basically every other step.

The alternate universe version of me who caught Helioptile would be jumping for joy right now.

Hey, this guy is a character that I'm sure I'll have something to say about at a later point in time.

We're back in Lumiose, this time with no power outage to hold us back. This is it.

I think battling random strangers in the back alleyway is a perfectly safe activity.

We... We live in a society

Pokemart remix 😳 😳 😳

yikes, all this for a dog?

Just want to mention how great the Battle Subway in Gen 5 was, and how it is better than this game's garbage postgame in every way despite being basically the same thing.

This doesn't really fit in with the rest of Pokemon's spooky secrets, and I think that's the part of why I love this so much. It's so ominous.

There's literally nothing in this alley, I feel like I'm missing something?

Represent :naughtyazurill:

This would have been a really nice feature back in Second Gen, guys.

Gamers rise up

this guy knows what's up

I think I had a joke or something in mind for this picture, but here's a random Family Guy clip instead.

Hoenn confirmed, again.

Another spooky unsolved mystery. Despite how much more memorable this one is, I think I still find the hidden message creepier. Though either of these occurrences are way better than this game's sorry excuse for a haunted house.

And that's Lumiose City. I'd take on the gym, but honestly running around the city for like an hour kinda dragged on me, so I ended up stopping this session here. Join me next time when I challenge the gym and hopefully do something else after that. Adios.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Today we're doing two sessions in one because I got bored like 5 seconds into the second session and barely got anything.

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for gaudy neon lights. Seeing this gym was filled them really got me in the mood to complain about this baby game.

That's an easy one.

This one is a bit trickier, but I think I got it.

I'm gonna throw out a guess with this one, but I think I'm right.

Vivillon

I don't remember why I took this shot. I titled it Number 3 so that probably means something, but I can't bothered to figure it out.

Lightning Ahoge

Fifth gym leader. I must reiterate, I really like neon lights. There isn't much interesting about this fight, so that's about it.

Okay so it turns out this generation introduced the terrain moves. I actually have no clue what these do, so for once I'm in for a challenging sweep.

Oh cool thanks bud.

I find nothing suspicious about this character. Clearly just a good man.

i had a joke for this shot, but it wasn't funny so i don't have anything. obama.

Again there's nothing suspicious about all these Team Flare fans congregating in this cafe run by a guy who espouses Team Flare ideology and follows their dress code.

The distance between the Pokemon Center and this route is way too long. I can't believe they expect me to spend like 2 minutes walking.

Chesnaught's color pallet is a crime against Pokemon and singlehandedly ruins the Pokemon franchise. All they had to do was make the browns darker, it's not hard guys.

This lovely character got 3 crits in a row on me, what fun.

Never mind make that 4. We live in a society.

Something I'm noticing about these routes is that they all share from a pool of like 7 songs. The old games reused route themes too, but IDK it feels particularly egregious here.

I feel like it's been ages since I've seen actual Pokemon Tall Grass and I couldn't be happier.

You've heard of getting random critted 3 times in a row, now meet getting paralyzed 3 times in a row, like a couple minutes after the crits.

The spooky houses and abandoned ships of the old games were my favorite part of the series growing up, so you can imagine I've never been a fan of this games iteration on the concept. Coming after BW2, which had the absolute masterpiece of kiddy horror that was the Strange House, having the first 3D Pokemon game make it's haunted house a 2 minute cutscene burned me hard. I'm sure they wanted to put a proper dungeon here in development, but they probably ran out of time. It's not like a small stinger couldn't work, they actually did a 1 room haunted house right in 4th gen, but just making this a campfire story wasn't the way to do it. At least the music was good.

The real scary house was the friends we made along the way.

Okay I really like this cities aesthetic. It looks super gothic and antique, which makes me more convinced they wanted to do a proper scary dungeon.

Mega Oof.

The Saffron City tiles from hell make their return, only this time in a cute dollhouse instead of a bunch of squares.

Despite everything, it's- Nevermind I already made that joke.

I know Granbull isn't a normal type anymore, but you can't keep the old habits down. It's Close Combat time.

Hermes evolved into Naruto

Sixth gym leader. I must say, none of these characters are memorable compared to the characters from the game I played when I was 9.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't understand the Fairy type super well. The type effectiveness of old types were based on common sense stuff (Water puts out Fire, Ground absorbs Electricity, Bugs feast upon the very element of Darkness, somehow.) but Fairy feels like it was designed with game balance in mind over logic. That's actually a good thing, I'd argue, but I can't be bothered to spend 2 minutes googling the new type chart, so I'm gonna have to say Fairies ruined Pokemon.

I don't remember why I took this shot, so I just want to say that Eevee on it's own is a boring Pokemon and trying to make it the next Pikachu misunderstands why it's popular to begin with.

I spent so long in that gym trying to decipher the Fairy type, that it turned to evening. How quaint.

Finally, an actual Psychic type move on my Psychic type Pokemon.

Ball

I'd complain about the Team Flare scientists being unmemorable, but then I'd have to acknowledge that literally none of the evil team admins are memorable, and that's a big no-no for me.

I almost picked the Big Nugget, but I'm ashamed to admit I chickened out.

Capitalism can't keep getting away with this!

These belts are unbearably slow. I'd show you a picture of my character on the belt, but I didn't time that right and can't be bothered to do that.

Honestly this dungeon was a lot better than I remembered it being, which isn't saying much because I forgot it existed, but still. Abandoned warehouses are my aesthetic.

And now, an intermission because I've been working on this for like an hour and I need a break before I do the rest. Here's a Family Guy Funny Moment while you wait.

Hey look at that, new route music. Not bad Sonic Team.

This random NPC actually switched for a type matchup. I'm shaken.

So when you're biking at night the bike gives off a cute little light. You can expect my 2 hour video essay on how this ruined my childhood soon.

We'd like to speak to the CEO of Pokemon.

Suddenly Rain

I don't know why Vileplume is so ****ing big in this game but I'm not complaining.

Suddenly Snow

Best shop in the game, don't @ me.

I was trying to do something important but I was interrupted by these two incredibly memorable characters.

Random child DESTROY's the US Empire with LOGIC and FACTS.

Alright Defend order time here we ****ing go lads.

Never mind I actually really like Medici's moveset as it is. Defend Order is cancelled.

I do think I know who may be a good candidate for my heart scales in Medici's place.

They call this the lost hotel but the only thing that's lost is me trying to think of a funny joke for this image.

So it's been a hot minute since I've caught a Pokemon, and Litwick seems like a good option. You're in, bud.

And so this session meets it's end. We had some laughs, we had some gaffes, but most importantly we complained about a haunted house in a children's video game. Writing all this out was kind of exhausting, so it may be a while before the next update. Bye-bye.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I enjoyed catching up on this playthrough, even though I didn't realize it started way back in April lol. I like it so far, Cynical! Reading a regular playthrough is a nice change of pace from a challenge.

I do agree with a lot of points you've brought up about X and Y. However, I think a lot of them apply to 3DS Pokemon in general (handholdiness, lame NPCs, design choices) and taken in that context, XY themselves aren't the worst.

Cynical Toast

Queen of Gamers
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
bruh

Claude's debut battle. As per usual, I forgot who won.

Hey Lois, that reminds me of that time I went to Windmill Isle

nice

So apparently I caught Litwick at just high enough level that she forgot Flame Burst for Inferno. I don't know if I've said this before, but we really do live in a society.

Aww cute soul-stealing candle

I was just trying to buy an awakening but this epic skater dude stopped me.

Claude evolved into the lamp hanging above my living room.

yeah

oh cool free full heals

oh god oh **** i'm back in lumiose city i'm literally shaking and crying right now.

Oh boy, I sure do love fishing.

When I was a dumb little kid playing Diamond on my DS, Dive Balls always used to be super elusive and mysterious to me. Since you only got like one diveball in Gen 4, I thought they were some super secret ball that was really good. In hindsight, Dusk and Quick Balls were better, but the shortage of Dive Balls really gave them a unique appeal to 7 year old me. This relates to Gen 6 somehow.

Perhaps if I'd actually stayed consistent with this series and was posting this back in the summer, I'd make a quip about how these fishing docks are literally kanto pandering or something. I then remembered that docks existed before Pokemon, so I realized I probably wouldn't have done that.

Once again I gotta hand it to Sonic Team, Rock walls are an at least aesthetically new way of justifying Rock Smash.

Oi why is Earthquake so elusive in this game? If I had it on Napoleon already I could just end this fight at the snap of a finger. I guess Rock Tomb will have to do for now.

Fresh Trash

Hi boss, I'm Obama.

ok lol

Real level spike hours, who up?

Everyone's all like Movies this and Pokemon that; I just wanna grill for gods sake

It's been a while since the camera guy has shown up. I'm excited to take a quick photo here in the frigid cold.

Wow, this dungeon has the same theme as the last 15 caves. Alexa, please play Ice Path.

So this game has the dreaded ice sliding puzzles. I've actually always really liked those, so I'm glad they're here.

So they seem to have changed the way the low health beep works so that it stops after a bit. That's an underappreciated improvement of this game.

I know It's burned and has halved attack, but I'm still impressed my HM slave Snorlax managed to tank a hit from a Pokemon 28 levels higher than it. He really is just that thicc.

My wonderful "friend" character didn't even heal me before this easy npc fight, smh.

Music box remix of friends 😢 😢 😢

At long last, I have the Obamasite

Wish I'd known there was this healer npc right outside before I wasted valuable revives prepping for the Team Flare power hour.

oh god oh ****

I don't know what exactly would have blocked my path before hitting the Ice Cave but I'm fairly confident there was something. I can't just be trusted Ohto go on my own, you know?

This is the truest definition of suffering. This Mamoswine moves so slow, it is such a hassle to turn around, and I have to get off every five seconds for an item- which is itself super clunky. This small route may honestly be one of the worst pieces of content in any of these games; I regret ever playing Pokemon Diamond when I was 7 since it lead to me spending like 7 minutes on this route. God bless America.

This is neat, but also totally useless.

"Oh ****." ~ Me when I out of the blue got one of the best moves in the game.

This gamer actually predicted I would use Water Pulse and switched to a Water Absorb Vaporeon. That's honestly a pretty good play.

That's the power of Mighty Putty!

Accidentally pressed A and got this item. Thanks Obama.

Wow this sure is a cool sundial.

I stood in awe of the 3ds sundial model for so long that it turned to evening. I definitely didn't take a break between these two shots.

With all the features they've cut from the series over the years, I'm glad these awful TV shows have remained a constant.

My dude they're just ants. I could probably step over all the damage they did, you utter buffoon.

Oh cool this is another visually appealing gym puzzle in Pokemon X Version for Nintendo 3ds.

I know there aren't hidden items inside gyms, but this empty square is still driving me nuts. There's totally a hidden sun stone on there, I just can't find it.

Lunatone is in this game. Lunatone wasn't in Pokemon Moon Version. Lunatone also wasn't in Mario Kart 64.

Gym Leader 7. This is a really cool battle background, one that almost makes me forget how terrible the gym leaders in this game are.

That's about that. In the next part of this, we definitely won't be sidetracked by this game's excuse for a story and complain a lot. That wouldn't be any fun, would it?

Typhlosion

Tempered Steel
Rainbow Rocket Executive
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
The quantity and variety of YouTube links in your challenge continues to astound me. But for all that, I'm literally shaking and crying rn because you didn't put anything for the third time you mentioned Obama.