Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
It's a blizzard outside which would be cool if this part had the snow level in it.

With the tide of fascism quelled, we can finally resume our journey of complaining about a children's game.

Triumphant music blared as I entered Route whatever the ****, and honestly it's really good take a listen.

Minor nitpick, but these guards could really afford to stop blocking the gate. I mean I can get through, but it takes slightly longer than it should when I'm constantly skating into the fine proletariat.

I thought my repels would save me from encounters, but this guy just popped out of the bush and fought me anyways. Since he's fast, I had to fight him I think.

Oh okay that's a new mechanic. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say this didn't make it into future games.

Once again, I have been outplayed by a random level hike that came out of nowhere. society

oh wow this cave has the same music as the last 50 of them. Alexa, please play a better dungeon theme.

I'm gonna be honest, the constant random encounters are really starting to annoy me. Because the game jacked the levels up 7 times, my team is all too low leveled for repels to work, and everything in this cave seems to have rock slide or explosion, making training Vespiquen kinda hard.

As if being bombarded by random encounters wasn't annoying enough, now I can't even use Rock Smash without being attacked by one of these guys, who are proudly rocking the Sturdy/Self Destruct combo.

It eventually reached a point where I had to shut the game off and hopefully try again the next day.

Well, I tried again, and I ran into the other problem that's making this dungeon frustrating. Not only am I spammed with encounters every 5 seconds, but literally everything I run into seems capable of oneshotting like half my team.

After getting steamrolled by a Graveler for the 8 billionth time, I realized I'd reached a point of diminishing returns. I could keep the EXP share off, sure, but the levels were only gonna jump higher, and I didn't want to spend 5000 hours grinding. So, it was with some reluctance that I turned on baby mode, and drained every last ounce of challenge from this game. F.

That being said, turning the crutch on didn't actually solve my immediate problem, so I just kinda had to make this work.

Oh hey, it's half the reason I struggled through this hellhole.

Claude evolved into the chandelier in my dining room next to the living room which has my lamp.

First battle with Chandelure. so that was fun.

Alright I may have gotten frustrated by all the encounters and reset the game back to the first rage-quit. Just a possibility, though.

holy HECK these games are unplayable without repels. The never ending barrage of pointless filler fights, the battle intros the feel like they take 5 years, some other third thing, just wow, what a momentum killer. I don't think I've ever been frustrated at a Pokemon game before, but there's a first for everything.

Wow look it's an item, the only reason I came in here in the first place. I don't actually think I needed that item.

Finally, a fair fight. Spartan vs Tank-Octopus, the classic matchup.

I wonder what this trainer's strategy is?

oh wow, a mildly interesting but not actually matchup. Cue the music.

Finally, I have the other reason I came into this dump. This is so epic.

This cave is truly cursed, here's to me never having to go back in here to catch a really cool but also horribly misused legendary Pokemon.

Right as I did my victory lap I found another cave entrance. this is so sad.

I think I hard counter this thing, I'm not really sure. This thing is a knockoff of Pachirisu.

oh okay we're in a town now.

Gen 1 Bad, callbacks bad, I am a professional game critic.

Oh okay we're like 85% done with the game at this point, but sure give me more tutorials.

bulbapedia

"this game doesn't have good graphics." ~Me like 5 years ago.

I remember when people used to speculate this train led to Galar. While I do agree that the two regions are undeniably linked (Galar is pretty heavily implied to be the other region in the 100 year war this game talks about), we don't know the stance of Brexit in the Pokemon world so crossing the border may not be legal.

There was some text about Lysandre that gave context to this line, but I forgot it so I don't know what to say for this.

Oh wow okay I didn't expect this, what a nice surprise.

Praise revoked.

Worry Seed, and the like two other moves similar to it, are really interesting ideas but also seem kinda useless.

As a Pokemon fan, I feel like I am legally required to declare how much I hate orange over here, but I've grown up. Charizard is fine, a little over-represented, sure, but fine nonetheless. um I mean death to the great satan.

I'd like to thank Terminus Cave for toughening me up against my will.

Ah, just ****ing gorgeous. I could fall asleep here if the possibility of falling into the ocean and dying wasn't there.

I taught Surf to Greninja expecting it to be the best Water move I could get, and literally immediately after I got better surf. ouch.

Well it took a journey and a half, but I fixed that up. The things I'll do for a lower base damage move.

Okay so I figure I should probably catch a final team member at some point, and this seemed like a fun choice. I was originally gonna catch a Goomy back in the haunted house forest, but I didn't want to put up with that for 10 levels. So I'm catching it here.

Catch rates made it difficult, but I did catch it eventually.

Wow, look, a completely inconspicuous rain storm that I definitely didn't manipulate the clock to make appear when I needed it. Just nature taking it's course.

I figured I should get one fight with Sligoo before I dope it with Rare Candies, so here ya go.

How long have you been standing there, my dude? I really don't want to be the one to tell you.

aye ya'll know what time it is?

Sligoo evolved into Goodra.

Alas, as the natural rain pours down, I believe it is time I bid you adieu. I look forward to seeing you in the next part.

Last edited:

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
It still irritates me somewhat that they never did anything with that train station. And that they hardly did anything with Gen VI, come to think of it.

You'll have to tell me what you think of the Snowbelle City music because imo that's one of the top three tracks in the game.

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
I really enjoyed reading the entirety of your play-through from beginning to now in one sitting. I only did that because

We live in a society.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
I'm a few days late to update this, sorry about that :unsureazurill:

revengeoftherocks.PNG

Hey I remember these rocks- I think, at least. It's been quite some time since I last did this :P
edgy.PNG

Now that's what I call edgy!
stunfisk.PNG

Hey Stunfisk is a thing that exists! Nobody remembers Stunfisk though. If you say you remember Stunfisk- you're wrong.
muggingtime.PNG

Ah heck I'm about to get mugged.
longtimenohear.PNG

Long time since I've heard the rival theme. Both because there was a long stretch without a rival fight and also because I went 9 months without touching this playthrough.
bridgetoturnabout.PNG

Oh hey we're on a bridge. This is epic.
69health.PNG

nice.
misclickforfinaldebut.PNG

Oops I sent out the wrong thing so I guess here is the debut of my overpowered darling Vase.
tooclosepal.PNG

Don't stand so close to me, bud.
coloration.PNG

Oh I forgot Florges has a color gimmick. I was too busy seething with rage that it isn't the grass type it really should be.
rivalsfinalthoughts(minuscalem).PNG

So I guess that's that for these rivals. I gotta say, they're not really that big a deal- but I wouldn't call that a good thing. Despite making fairly frequent appearances they have like no character- all of their personalities being described in a certain word like "nerd," "girl," or "dance." Without any meaningful moments to flesh them out, these guys end up being nothing more than colorful cheerleaders. And coming after Gen 5, which did the whole friend group thing way better, that's kind of disappointing.
stonecoldbanger.PNG

A reader has requested to know my thoughts on the Snowbelle city theme. Well, I'm happy to report that it is an absolute hecking banger. Honestly this game's soundtrack, while not as good as the previous games, is still way better than I used to give it credit for. A lo of good stuff in here.
palpatine.PNG

star wars joke.
jubelifecity.PNG

Jubelife City remix. I'm not crying, someone just left some onions out.
fairtrade.PNG

Yeah that seems like a fair trade.
officiallyblind.PNG

Hey hey, from this point forward this playthrough is officially blind! Yeah I got lost in Snowbelle city when I was 13, so from here on out this is all new territory for me.
mossrock.PNG

Oh hey it's the thing... you know uh the thing.
forestception.PNG

Oh god the forest is attacking me for waiting so long to continue this series. I deserve this.
severalquestions.PNG

I have absolutely no idea what is going on here.
iamallofme.PNG

Just wanted to say this thing should have been in Smash and the fact it isn't is a crime against gamers.
noroadblock.PNG

Oh? No roadblock blocking my way? Well that's pretty nice.
pokemonamie.PNG

I guess while I grind for the gym this is a good time to try out the new bottom screen features: Starting with Pokemon Amie- the spiritual successor to Project Rub
training.PNG

That's enough of that let's try out Super training now. And it looks like Game Freak beat themselves to the punch because that Scatterbug is definitely Dynamaxed.
howquaint.PNG

Honestly I think this little interface is kinda quaint. I might just keep this on for the rest of the playthrough.
nicename.PNG

Nice name.
grindinghour.PNG

I'd love to take on the gym right now but I'm underleveled and I don't want a repeat of Terminus Cave. So, off to train my pets.
underratedbear.PNG

You know I gotta say, this thing is seriously underrated. Ursaring is the objectively best. Also, Bears are the number one threat to our nation.
ripwondereye.PNG

Y'know, one consequence of the Fairy type being added is that the cheeky Wondereye/Wondertomb cheats no longer work. Gonna add that to the reasons Masuda ruined this series.
hmdays.PNG

What's that? An actually interesting strength puzzle? You must be pulling my leg.
oof.PNG

Oof.
slaverevolt.PNG

Oh Shuckle the slaves are rising up.
charmeleon.PNG

HM Slave evolved into a bigger slave.
lemmeguess.PNG

Gee, I sure do wonder what's in this ca- It's Mewtwo. I haven't even played this cave before but even I can tell it's Mewtwo lol.
negativetemptation.PNG

Ooo that's tempting, but I think I'm gonna have to give it a pass. Maybe next time, tho.
sixyearsinthemaking.PNG

Well, after 9 months of build up; it's finally time to take on the final gym.
compliment.PNG

Chunk of ice? That's the nicest thing anyone's called me in a long time.
certifiedlastchance.PNG

This is my last time to mention this so I guess I should point out that this game doesn't have your rival listed as beating the gym before you. IDK if this was the game they stopped doing that in, but I miss it.
gerudoshrine.PNG

This reminds me of the Gerudo Divine Beast in Breath of the Wild. What a good game that was.
gym 8.PNG

And at last, we've begun the final gym battle. Imma take a bet and say Claude will sweep.
avalugg.PNG

Hey it's Avalugg. He's the kind of defensive Ice type that nobody likes yet Game Freak continues to make for some reaosn.
cryoginal.PNG

Hey it's Cryogonal. It's the kind of defensive Ice type that nobody likes yet Game Freak continues to make for some reaosn.
n(I)ce.PNG

Yoooo this is nice.
xtreme.PNG

Oh shuckle, I'm an extreme skater.
nexttimeondbz.PNG

And with that, this session of the series that was stuck in development hell has come to a close. Join me sometime very soon, as we take on Victory Road and prepare for the finale. I promise this won't take another 9 months, so until them, ciao.

Typhlosion

Heart and Soul
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
It makes me happy that you appreciated the Snowbelle City theme! This mysterious reader has excellent taste.