Shaun the Sheep - A Pokemon Sword Challenge

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
So I bought Pokemon Sword specifically to do a challenge run on it. It took a while, but i figured out what to do. Enter Shaun the Sheep. For those not in the know, Shaun the Sheep is a children's TV show (by the same creator as Wallace & Gromit) about a sheep called Shaun and his adventures on the farm. Obviously Wooloo just made the team... In fact, as there's a herd of them - so I'll be taking two. The second Wooloo will be Timmy, Shaun's younger cousin. To represent this, Timmy will not be allowed to evolve. The other characters I'm adding to the team will be Bitzer the dog, a Yamper, and Pidsley the cat, a Galar Meowth. Annoyingly, Mareep's line do not exist in this game, or I'd be all over that ball of fur.

I started the challenge on the weekend. I picked up Grookey to get me by until i hit the grass on Route 1 to find Shaun. I get Shaun at level 5, he has a hardy nature and the Fluffy ability. Next up i get Timmy at level 4 (seems appropriate), with a Serious nature and the Run Away ability. I follow the story a bit and deposit the Grookey. On Route 2 i find a level 6 Yamper. Bitzer is added to the party, and has a mild nature with the Ball Fetch ability (not sure why i'd want that in this challenge, but too bad). I continue bashing 'A' through the story sections and head into the Wild Area. Nothing to see here, I'll find Meowth in Route 4. So i skip ahead to Motostoke for a bit before realising that i really need to level up. I head back to the wild area and rack up some EXP. Then off to Route 3 where i continue to level up. That's as far as I've made it so far.

Current Party:
:wooloo: Shaun - Wooloo Lvl 15
Hardy Nature, Fluffy ability
-Tackle
-Growl
-Defense Curl
-Copycat

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 15
Serious Nature, Run Away ability
-Tackle
-Growl
-Defense Curl
-Copycat

:yamper: Bitzer - Yamper Lvl 16
Mild Nature, Ball Fetch ability
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Nuzzle
-Bite

As this is will be my hardest challenge yet, i plan to document this one rather than just providing a brief summary like i have in the past. I'm interested to know what other people think of this challenge too, I think it's my most creative to date.

edit* I forgot to add, as always, I'll be using no items in battle.

Last edited:

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
Big question is, are you going to evolve Shaun? Considering he's more of a lamb than most of the bigger, fluffier sheep.

Shame Mareep and Flaffy aren't in the game too, for more sheepish shenanigans.

Hope you're carrying on with this!

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
I actually had to go and look up a character list. I think I watched maybe the first series? And if it was it in the background.

You could just get 6 woolets and dubwools, and give them different items and moves. That's be fun, where battles come down to a war of attrition - them or the flock!

There's a mole (drilbur), Cockerell could be Rookidee, and at a stretch hippopottas could be the pigs.

Don't know many more at the moment, will have another think!

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Thanks for your replies guys. I have decided on a party of 4 for this run. I will be evolving Shaun, Bitzer and Pidsley - just not Timmy. My next update will be after the first gym. Unsurprisingly, it's been a bit of a grind... but i did get Pidsley, so stay tuned.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I did finish my previous Snake challenge on X, it was just not very interesting..

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
I added Pidsley to my party on Route 4. He's Lvl 14, has a Careful nature and the Tough Claws ability. I level him up a few levels before hitting the gym. I also used a couple of TMs to add some extra moves to the team - Payback on Shaun, and Swift on Bitzer. At this point most of the team are around lvl 22 so Pidsley is up front for the battles to gain experience. I switch out a few times against Milo so nobody faints when he dynamaxes the Eldegoss. I pick up the everstone and hand it to Timmy on the way out of town. I'm onto the next route as i write this. heres the Team now:

:galarianmeowth:Pidsley - Galar Meowth Lvl 21
Careful Nature, Tough Claws Ability
-Pay Day
-Metal Claw
-Growl
-Hone Claws

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 23
-Headbutt
-Double Kick
-Growl
-Copycat

:yamper: Bitzer - Yamper Lvl 24
-Spark
-Swift
-Tail Whip
-Bite

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 24
-Headbutt
-Payback
-Defense Curl
-Double Kick

Last edited:

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Ok. Nessa was more difficult. It actually took me 3 goes to beat her. The first two times i got through to the Drednaw, but i just couldn't deal with it. His dynamax form just beat me down too quickly. So i levelled up slightly and equipped some held items before going in for the third run. Pidsley whittled down the Goldeen to half before fainting, then i brought out Bitzer to finish it off and to deal with the Arrokuda. Next up was Drednaw again. I switch to Shaun to tank the dynamax hits. He takes all three and faints, but does a little damage with Double kick while he's there. Bitzer comes back out and Sparks for victory. Here's the team as i stand in the foyer ready to move on:

:galarianmeowth: Pidsley - Galar Meowth Lvl 27
Held Silk Scarf
-Pay Day
-Metal Claw
-Swagger
-Hone Claws

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 27
Held Everstone
-Headbutt
-Double Kick
-Takedown
-Copycat

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 26
Held Shell Bell
-Headbutt
-Payback
-Defense Curl
-Double Kick

:boltund: Bitzer - Boltund Lvl 28
Held Magnet
-Spark
-Swift
-Charm
-Bite

I didn't mention earlier, I'm also not going to be dynamaxing at all, which means I'll need to tank my opponents hits without being able to retaliate in the same way. After the affair with Nessa, I'd say the next gym is going to be less than fun, as not only will I be up against a dynamaxed pokemon during the battle, I'll also have a party where 2/4 members are weak to fire (Pidsley and Shaun). Now to grind for a while again...

Last edited:

Anthrix

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
Greenwich Mean Time
If you want to stall out Dynamax, have something with Dig and Protect. That way you only have to tank one hit full on if you are slower.

I'd also consider getting more sheep, let's max out on them!

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Ok. I made it through the 3rd gym. Just. By popular demand, Nuts and Shirley have joined the party. Both are still catching up, but my goal is to have Shirley as my tank to get through the Dynamax turns. My battle against Kabu could have gone much better, as i went in without much of a plan, hoping my levels alone would get me through. I started with Timmy, who did less to the Ninetales than i would have liked before fainting. I switch to Pidsley to finish it off. Arcanine comes out and i switch to Shirley (I was supposed to go to Nuts but i stuffed up, it didn't matter). Shirley deals a little damage to Arcanine, faints, then Nuts deals a bit of damage to Arcanine and also faints. Pidsley finishes off the Arcanine and takes the first Gigantamax hit from Centiskorch. Shaun is up now, and chips away a little health, but takes the other two blows from Gigantamax. This means that Bitzer can come out fresh and in less danger. Bitzer comes out and with a couple of Sparks, deals the final blows to Centiskorch.

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 33
Held Everstone
-Headbutt
-Double Kick
-Takedown
-Reversal

:perrserker: Pidsley - Perrserker Lvl 33
Held Silk Scarf
-Pay Day
-Iron Head
-Swagger
-Fury Swipes

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 33
Held Shell Bell
-Headbutt
-Payback
-Take Down
-Double Kick

:boltund: Bitzer - Boltund Lvl 34
Held Magnet
-Spark
-Swift
-Charm
-Crunch

:dubwool: Shirley - Dubwool Lvl 25
Lonely Nature, Steadfast ability
Held -none-
-Double Kick
-Headbutt
-Defense Curl
-Protect

:dubwool: Nuts - Dubwool Lvl 25
Careful Nature, Steadfast ability
Held -none-
-Headbutt
-Growl
-Double Kick
-Copycat

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Bea was a walk in the park for reasons twofold. Firstly, I'm overlevelled a little. This is why i dislike EXP shares... Secondly, the strategy looks like it's working well. Pidsley came out first and used Iron Head against the Hitmontop. Hitmontop retaliates with Revenge and i finish it off with a dig. On to Pangoro. Pidsley gets a flinch with Iron Head this time and uses a second to finish off the Pangoro. Out comes Sirfetch'd. Another Iron Head and Sirfetch'd takes Pidsley out with Revenge. Shirley takes Pidsleys Place and uses Facade. Sirfetch'd faints and we're on to the Machamp - Gigatamax time. Shirley startsbwith Protect, Machamp Gigantamaxes and hits Shirley. Left overs restore a little health. Shirley tries another Protect, which fails. Machamp gets Shirley down to 2HP. More Leftovers. 3rd Protect and Shirley gets taken out. Switch to Nuts. Nuts uses Retaliate against the now normal sized Machamp and Machamp follows with a Scary Face. Nuts finishes it off with Headbutt. Timmy, Shaun and Bitzer cheer from the sideline.

On to the Team:
:perrserker: Pidsley - Perrserker Lvl 40
Held Soft Sand
-Pay Day
-Iron Head
-Dig
-Fury Swipes

:dubwool: Nuts - Dubwool Lvl 39
Held Shell Bell
-Headbutt
-Retaliate
-Double Kick
-Protect

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 40
Held Amulet Coin
-Facade
-Payback
-Take Down
-Double Kick

:dubwool: Shirley - Dubwool Lvl 38
Held Leftovers
-Double Kick
-Facade
-Defense Curl
-Protect

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 41
Held Silk Scarf
-Facade
-Double Kick
-Double Edge
-Cotton Guard

:boltund: Bitzer - Boltund Lvl 41
Held Magnet
-Spark
-Swift
-Charm
-Crunch

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Opal was a walk in the Park too. Pidsley came out first. Iron Head OHKO against Weezing. Mawile took 3 digs. Togekiss went down to one Iron Head too. I'm on a roll so Pidsley stays out with a little over half health. Iron Head does less damage than i expect against the Gigatamaxed Alcremie, but in turn survives it's return attack. Pidsley uses another Iron Head before fainting. I switch to Nuts and use Retaliate. Alcremie goes down while still Gigantamaxed. Badge 5 is in the bag.

The Team has hardly changed:
:perrserker: Pidsley - Perrserker Lvl 42
Held Metal Coat
-Pay Day
-Iron Head
-Dig
-Slash

:dubwool: Nuts - Dubwool Lvl 41
Held Silk Scarf
-Headbutt
-Retaliate
-Double Kick
-Protect

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 42
Held Shell Bell
-Facade
-Payback
-Take Down
-Double Kick

:dubwool: Shirley - Dubwool Lvl 41
Held Leftovers
-Double Kick
-Facade
-Defense Curl
-Protect

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 43
Held Eviolite
-Facade
-Double Kick
-Double Edge
-Cotton Guard

:boltund: Bitzer - Boltund Lvl 43
Held Magnet
-Spark
-Swift
-Charm
-Crunch

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Last night i took on Gordie. I started with Pidsley, he sent out Barbaracle. Pidlsey used Iron head twice, the first time Barbaracle flinched before fainting to the second hit. Out comes Shuckle. I like Shuckle, but that didn't stop Pidsley from OHKOing it with an Iron Head. Stonjourner comes out. He uses Wonder Room before being taken out with an Iron Head. Lastly the Coalossal arrives. It Gigantamaxes, Pidsley gets in a Iron Head before falling to a Max Flare. I send out Shirley. Shirley uses Protect, Coalossal does 16 damage with Max Flare. Shirley goes for Cotton Guard, Coalossal uses G-Max Volcalith. Shirley is still green. Shirley uses cotton guard again before finishing off the now normal Coalossal witb 2 Double Kicks - the second one crits. And thats it for Badge 6. Only 2 more to go.

:galarianmeowth: Pidsley - Perrserker Lvl 45
Held Metal Coat
-Pay Day
-Iron Head
-Dig
-Slash

:dubwool: Nuts - Dubwool Lvl 45
Held Silk Scarf
-Headbutt
-Retaliate
-Double Kick
-Protect

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 45
Held Shell Bell
-Facade
-Payback
-Take Down
-Double Kick

:dubwool: Shirley - Dubwool Lvl 45
Held Leftovers
-Double Kick
-Facade
-Cotton Guard
-Protect

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 46
Held Eviolite
-Facade
-Double Kick
-Double Edge
-Cotton Guard

:boltund: Bitzer - Boltund Lvl 46
Held Magnet
-Spark
-Swift
-Charm
-Crunch

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
So i just beat Piers, and it was pretty uneventful. The gym leaders are slowly catching up my level lead but it's still not difficult in the slightest. Once again, this is why i don't like exp shares, i know it's programmed better in this game so that Pokemon don't get too far ahead of the team, but you have to skip a ton of battles to even the playing field. Anyway. all of Piers Pokemon are Dark type, so i just used double kick a few times with Shirley and Shaun, then Retaliate once with Nuts after Shaun got knocked out, and that was about it. Oh, I used Pidsley against the Obstagoon. Piers doesn't dynamax and i had two extra Pokemon so i was good.

:dubwool: Shirley - Dubwool Lvl 48
Held Leftovers
-Double Kick
-Facade
-Cotton Guard
-Protect

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 49
Held Shell Bell
-Facade
-Payback
-Take Down
-Double Kick

:galarianmeowth: Pidsley - Perrserker Lvl 49
Held Metal Coat
-Pay Day
-Iron Head
-Dig
-Slash

:dubwool: Nuts - Dubwool Lvl 49
Held Silk Scarf
-Headbutt
-Retaliate
-Double Kick
-Protect

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 49
Held Eviolite
-Facade
-Double Kick
-Double Edge
-Cotton Guard

:boltund: Bitzer - Boltund Lvl 50
Held Magnet
-Spark
-Wild Charge
-Charm
-Crunch

I'm hoping to go and get some TRs now to vary up the moves a bit, you might notice i no longer have 6 Pokemon with normal moves, with Bitzer dropping Swift for Wild Charge. After that I'll head to the eighth gym.

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Just beat Raihan. Went in with Shaun and Pidsley. Using Double Kick and Iron Head each turn I took out the first 3 of his Pokemon - Gigalith, Sandaconda and Flygon. Duraladon came out just before i took out Flygon and I used the turn to deal with the Flygon. At this stage, Duraladon was Gigatamaxed and my two Pokemon were shy of half health as Pidsley took the hits from Flygon and Duraladon attacked Shaun. Shaun goes for a Double Kick before getting knocked out, Pidsley goes underground. I send out Nuts to replace Shaun and try a Retaliate. It does a small bit of damage, and Dig does more. Duraladon hits Nuts with its Max Knuckle. Nuts goes for Reflect to weather the last Max move and Pidsley goes underground again. Duraladon shrinks back to normal. Nuts hits him with Double Kick and takes him out.

I'm kind of surprised that battle wasn't more difficult. I did basically no preparation for it and actually found Gym Trainer Camilla with the Turtonator more annoying to battle. No matter, guess I'll start heading towards the Elite 4.

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 51
Held Shell Bell
-Facade
-Payback
-Double-Edge
-Double Kick

:galarianmeowth: Pidsley - Perrserker Lvl 51
Held Metal Coat
-Pay Day
-Iron Head
-Dig
-Shadow Claw

:dubwool: Nuts - Dubwool Lvl 51
Held Silk Scarf
-Headbutt
-Retaliate
-Double Kick
-Protect

:dubwool: Shirley - Dubwool Lvl 50
Held Leftovers
-Double Kick
-Facade
-Cotton Guard
-Protect

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 51
Held Eviolite
-Facade
-Double Kick
-Double Edge
-Cotton Guard

:boltund: Bitzer - Boltund Lvl 52
Held Magnet
-Spark
-Wild Charge
-Charm
-Crunch

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
Aww yeah, finally got around to finishing this. Leon was tough and took a few goes before i could get past the Dragapult. Here's what happened.
I sent out Pidsley to start with. Leon opened woth Aegislash. I used dig and then he landed a sacred sword. Leon used a full restore and i went for the second dig. This time dig takes it out in one hit.
Cinderace is next. I stick with Pidsley but Cinderace lands the first hit, Pyroball, taking Pidsley out. I switch to Nuts. Nuts weathers an Acrobatics and responds with Retaliate. OHKO. Nice. Seismitoad is next. I switch to Timmy and use two Cotton guards. Seismitoad uses Drain Punch, then Toxic. Timmy's on a timer now so I go for two Double Edges. Seismitoads Earthquakes, Poison damage and recoil takes out Timmy. I throw Nuts out to finish with Retaliate. Leon chooses Haxorus next. I switch to Shaun. I go for Payback, Haxorus uses Earthquake. I go Double Edge twice, taking another earthquake in between. Now I'm back to Dragapult. Previously I'd been left with only Pokemon who couldn't damage it at all. This time i saved Bitzer, so out he comes. 2 Bites make short work of Mr Ghost-Dragon, although he does a bit of damage back with Shadow ball. Now for the Charizard. Yo, Shirley, you're up. Shirley uses Protect, Charizard maxes out and does the fire thing. Shirley takes another hit and follows up with Cotton Guard then a third protect before falling to fire damage. No matter, Shirley has weathered all three Max turns and Charizard is back to normal. I choose Bitzer to finish him off with a Wild Charge. And Leon is done.
Shaun and his friends have defeated the Champion of the Galar region. Here's the team:

:galarianmeowth: Pidsley - Perrserker Lvl 69
Held Soft Sand
-Pay Day
-Iron Head
-Dig
-Shadow Claw

:dubwool: Nuts - Dubwool Lvl 69
Held Silk Scarf
-Headbutt
-Retaliate
-Double Kick
-Protect

:dubwool: Shaun - Dubwool Lvl 69
Held Shell Bell
-Facade
-Payback
-Double-Edge
-Double Kick

:dubwool: Shirley - Dubwool Lvl 69
Held Leftovers
-Double Kick
-Facade
-Cotton Guard
-Protect

:wooloo: Timmy - Wooloo Lvl 69
Held Eviolite
-Facade
-Double Kick
-Double Edge
-Cotton Guard

:boltund: Bitzer - Boltund Lvl 70
Held Magnet
-Spark
-Wild Charge
-Play Rough
-Crunch

Gamoholic

Rookie Trainer
I'll go back later and do some post game, but i don't think I'll record any of it. For now though I'm starting a new challenge on HeartGold