Shiny Hunters! What's your favorite way to catch shinies?

robochicken77

Shiny Hunter
AKA
Robo
Time Zone
CST
I'm interested in hearing from the shiny hunting community here. Do you have a favorite method or way to catch shinies? If so, what is it?

A few examples of methods are
Random encounters (running around in the grass like a child)
Soft resetting (resetting the game for static encounters, such as legendaries, starters, the snorlax in X/Y, etc...)
Horde encounters (sweet scenting in gen 6)
SOS (letting a pokémon call for help and hoping is a shiny)
Pokeradar (either gen 4 or 6)

And do you prefer full odds (1/8196), gen 6/7 full odds (1/4098), or shiny charm odds?

I myself love doing all of them aside from random encounters, and I prefer full odds, since it feels more rewarding

Rex

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
EST
I love Pokeradar, primarily in Gen 4 but also in 6 because it makes you feel like you earned the shiny. Every other method of shiny hunting just requires grinding, waiting, or hoping but Pokeradar you actually have to know what you're doing and work for it.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Honestly most methods of shiny hunting I find really awkward I kinda hate the Pokeradar and random encounters is just euEUeuEUeuh. The two methods I've only ever used are the Masuda Method and just hatched a ****load of egg which has worked for me plenty of times, or SOS chaining, which I find pretty easy and low stress.
Full odds is definitely more rewarding but I don't have the patience for things like that really

robochicken77

Shiny Hunter
AKA
Robo
Time Zone
CST
I see what both of you are saying, Pokeradar actually feels like work and not praying for a shiny, and the low stress of Sos feels like an actually engaging shiny hunting method. I used to be a method hunter, using only chain fishing, Sos, hordes, and masuda, but going back and doing some full odds soft resets feels like a breath of fresh air, and it feels extremely rewarding when you finally get the shiny.

Sebastian

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
cameronfedora
SOS chaining is my favorite, I've gotten a few shinies that way! It still takes awhile to get the shiny but you have to think a little bit. I like knowing my chances are increasing. I've tried Pokeradar a few times but could never get past like... 10. It confused me.

I also hunt in Ultra Wormholes. The odds are crazy high, I once got two shinies within 10 minutes of each other. But the selection of Pokemon is limited and you dont know what shiny you will get, so I definitely prefer SOS hunting.

I've never gotten a shiny from any other method (expect for random shinies).

Zed

Regular Trainer
Time Zone
CET
My favorite method of hunting is definitely the Masuda Method because you get shinies that are actually good for battling and you can actually use them on Battle Spot or in Wi-Fi battles instead of just putting them in the PC forever.
My second favorite method has to be random encounters in double grass of Gen 5 games, I like it because you can see a lot of Pokemon quickly so it usually doesn't take to long to get a shiny and it is still a full 1/8k odds shiny.

My favorite shinies are definitely the ones that are full (1/8k) odds because they are the rarest and they feel more special than the others. Out of over 50 shinies that I caught over the years, only 5 of them are full old 1/8k odds and they definitely feel a lot more special to me.

DeepSeaPrincess

Pretty Voice
AKA
Athena, Any variant of that
Time Zone
PST
3DS FC
0920-1282-6394
IGN
Athena/Sirena Usually
If I'm hunting, I'm usually using whatever method is most convenient for that pokemon. So if it can be found easiest through soft reset, that's how I do it! I don't particularly care about odds, full odds are fun sometimes but for specific things like breeding for someone, something involving the dex, etc, I'll use shiny charm to save time.

Grunt Beavie

The Magma Grunt with a Dragonite
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Beavie, Beavs
Time Zone
Atlantic Standard Time
3DS FC
0705-6289-4703
IGN
Cali
I've liked SOS chaining when I've hunted. The only downside is that even with Harvest/Skill Swap + Leppa Berry/trick there is still the risk of them struggling and fainting. But there it is easy to do while doing something else in the background.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
I've had far more success with SOS Chaining shinies than any other method in previous generations, so I'm more partial towards that.

For me, the biggest downside is that it's incredibly boring, but that's just something I've learned to put up with.

shhmew

❤ ❤ ❤
Staff Emeritus
AKA
Katey
the only way i've ever hunted for shinies was via Masuda Method. I like being able to have some control over natures, IVs, even egg moves <3 I've found TONS of shinies thru hordes and random encounters but they just rot in my PC because there's nothing i can do with them (unless i find them during the story, then i usually put them on my team).