Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
On September 26, 2006, the first games in the fourth generation of Pokémon were released. Do Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum still hold up for you? What are things you liked and disliked about them?

Mudkip_Mishchief

Goodbye
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Carson, Mudkip
IGN
bbop
Omfg im so old, yes i loved and still love sinnoh so much. They were great games.

Moonwatcher

/人◕‿‿◕人\
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Shruikan, Moon, ScrollWyrm
Time Zone
BST
I haven't played them properly since 2010, cause I have too many wifi event pokemon to reset, but trading them into the Gen 5 games is ridiculous. (Who though that minigame was a good idea?!) But every so often I return to my old save. It's still pretty cool, much better endgame than any other mainline game.

Sinnoh Contests were the best, and need to make a comeback. The Poffin making minigame was a nice addition, though I can see it getting tiring quickly if you wanted really good contest stats. The Sinnoh Underground was awesome, and an MMO version for a Sinnoh remake would be my dream come true. I also liked the sheer amount of non-contest ribbons you could get. Plus lots of my favourite pokemon orginated there, such as Shinx, Shaymin & Mesprit.

Cynical Toast

Proud Gamer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Caroline
Time Zone
EST
Switch FC
4099-4174-0519
Diamond was my first Pokemon game, so I'm kind of biased. I had no idea what a JRPG was before Pokemon, so I was kind of lost. I spent a good while on the old save on my cartridge, getting destroyed by Fearows, before I found out I could start a new game. I was hooked, needless to say. My only major video game experience prior to Pokemon were old Sonic games and terrible licensed garbage, so something as open as Pokemon was insane to my 7 year old mind. Playing through the cheesy story, fighting Team Galactic and saving time was the coolest thing in the world to me. I had no idea what effective team building was, mind you, but I had fun with my starter so I was fine. I picked up Platinum a while later, having a blast being lost in the Distortion World.

I haven't done a proper playthrough of Diamond since that first experience, Platinum and later HGSS and BW were better by all respects, but I still look back fondly on those old times. Now that I'm older I've come to terms with the fact that Diamond wasn't that great, with the slow engine and pacing and whatever, but honestly I could probably still enjoy it. My Pokemon playthroughs are infrequent enough that I never remember enough to make consistent comparisons, which I think is why I still look fondly on Dppt. Platinum is still great, though.

Dregran

Shocking Trainer
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC +10
I still get lost trying to navigate through Mt. Coronet without Fly.

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
IGN
Isiac
Mt. Coronet was by far one of the most confusing caves ever especially if you didn't have internet. Took me a good 30mins-1hr to guesstimate my way through it since I was quite young playing those games.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Ah, I still have my original Pearl save from when I first got into Pokemon. I still love Gen 4 to this day and I could play it over and over. My only grievance with it is is STUPID DEFOG. Mt. Coronet was super confusing but I couldn't help but love it anyway, even if you needed like 6 TMs to get through it.

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
IGN
Isiac
I will always remember those games because it was the first time I ever finished the pokedex(excluding events) for no reason since I didn't get anything. Sinnoh is an all time great. Slow gameplay made it difficult, but more enjoyable.

RaptorDMG

Rookie Trainer
Time Zone
BST
3DS FC
1350-1138-8038
IGN
Stephen
I've just played through platinum this week and I still love it although there may be some nostalgia as I started with Pearl back in the day. Only problem for me was Defog as I loved Mt Coronet and the route to Snowpoint city.

OceanMaster

Regular Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Isiac, Ocean
Time Zone
Central Mountain Time
3DS FC
1220-7225-5483
IGN
Isiac
Snowpoint City, probably my favorite city in the entire game just because I am a fan of snow. I also enjoyed Sunyshore City because I liked the route before it and it pretty much sends you off immediately to the E4 if you chose to. The roads were a bit confusing, but such a cool idea.

PerfectWorld

Fiery Passion
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Anne
3DS FC
3970-0367-7253
Switch FC
6736-1504-8698
IGN
Anne
I don't remember much about Diamond and Pearl since I haven't played those games in years, but I still love Platinum. The game is great, but has a few minor hiccups like way too many HM moves you have to use. The Sinnoh region has a great design, though getting to Snowpoint can be a pain. The physical/special split introduced in Gen 4 was a good change going forward. I also love a lot of the characters like Cynthia, Barry, Rowan, and Cyrus.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
It's suddenly been many many years since I've played a Sinnoh game, which seems strange for some reason considering how often I used to.

Sinnoh was pretty great. I never played Diamond/Pearl but I've done Platinum many times, and it never felt like it got old. If only there were more than like zero good fire types besides Infernape in the entire game.

I still roll my eyes at the Team Galactic stuff but at least they made up for it with humor, at least in places.

Barry was annoying, but not in the "for the love of god please leave me alone" way that Wally was, I just never felt like he had much more to his personality other than YOU OWE ME TEN MILLION DOLLARS!. In general I wish I guess we could have more rivals whose entire characters are defined by one adjective but I guess that's a complaint for some other thread.

The music is 11/10 and I wish more people would talk about and remix it and stuff. It's not like people don't and it's not like I don't like Champion Lance, but I mean, have you even listened to that Canalave City song?

The "too many legendaries" thing used to bother me but now that I've lost interest in the Catch Them All thing I barely even notice, since so many of them are locked behind events that will never happen again.

Defog can go ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) itself. That's like the only major complaint I have about the whole game.

Lastly, a quick look through the Internet has told me that Mt Coronet is probably one of the most unpopular things in the whole game, and I really don't know why. I like going back to it every few hours and seeing how much more of it has opened up. Where ware all the people who've been begging for non-linearity in 2008?

Some Asian

Emperor Kim of MDK
AKA
Defender of the Sega Saturn
Time Zone
Never
Well, Diamond and Pearl did NOT age well at all.

PLATINUM on the other hand... I played through THAT game countless times. it's really good.

Kigiru

New Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Diamond and Pearl are probably least playable Pokemon games. They feel so slow and sluggish, it's obvious that the engine was poorly optimised for Nintendo DS and it needed a pause once every few moves just to calculate all the crap that is needed to be calculated. It sucks because even if the actual games are actualy good, it does not matter because playing them feels like a chore.
Platinum on the other hand is definitive Sinnoh experience that not only makes the game play way smoother, but also adds tons of content. It actualy makes Sinnoh fun, especialy with DS-era aesthetics that i freaking love and feel like no remake can fully make justice for it.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
The Sinnoh games as a collective were a huge step forward from gen 3, both in terms of visuals and battle mechanics. After all, they were the first games in which 3D visuals were implemented and the physical/special split probably still stands as the most important improvement on battle mechanics. Furthermore, they had a lot of amazing features, such as the contests, Pal Park and a very solid post-game (the latter is especially true for Platinum).

However, a major turn off to me when it comes to these games is how slow they play. True, Platinum was a massive improvement on the sluggish engine of Diamond and Pearl, but the game still plays kinda slow when you compare it to some other Pokemon games.
Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Sinnoh's soundtrack either. While a select number of themes are good (the Mt. Coronet and Canalave themes, for instance), some others get downright annoying to me at times (such as the generic battle theme), which makes the experience of replaying these games significantly less enjoyable.

All in all, the games (especially Platinum) aged well and I still enjoy playing through them from time to time, but I definitely do not consider them among my favorites.

Last edited:

Stralend

Dreamer of Faith
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Star; Sara;
Time Zone
GMT + 1
3DS FC
5413-1220-4222
Platinum is my absolutely favourite. I just loved running around in Diamond as well, as it was my first game ever. I don't think I can get lost anywhere in Sinnoh, except for maybe in the post game stuff. I've ran around so much. I am probably a bit biased about this as Diamond was my first game, but I just love generation 4.

On the other side, it's very nostalgic to go back to this generation as I still think the graphic were amazing. There were these small changes between the spirits in Platinum and DP, which were sort of like the finishing touch, like with Aipom :aipom: as well as the change of battle border for your Pokémon, that it was dark themed.

The thing I loved most about Platinum though, was the snow. It was a winter themed based game, which also reflected back on the clothing of the characters, the main characters at least, and I just loved the scarfs!

icelandic

Adept Trainer
I'm playing through Platinum at the moment. I have to admit, I'd probably rank the Sinnoh region bottom of the 7, but that doesn't mean it's a bad setting, just that I like others more. The geographic dominance of Mt Coronet and its sprawling caves are quite a showpiece feature. I'll be breaking out the Repels for my ascent though!

I've also played Pearl. It's neat, and I think it's good that Game Freak mixed up the game progression a bit between DP and Platinum, changing the order cities are visited in and that, gives the third version more interest. But Platinum is, as third versions usually are, the "definitive" game of its region for me.

Plotwise, I feel it's a low point of the series. Cyrus has basically no complexity or nuance to him. Looking back on the series most of them have basically the same plot, villainous team tries to use legendary Pokemon to Do Stuff, but DPPt is the least interesting execution of it.

If I were to "rewrite" DPPt as it were, I think I'd make Team Galactic appear more upstanding and above-board early on, rather than being obviously crooks from the first meeting, similar to what Sun and Moon did with Aether. OK anyone remotely genre-savvy could tell Aether were suspicious, but at least there was an attempt. I'd add more backstory to Cyrus, and more hints of conflict within Team Galactic like are seen with Charon very late.

Visually, Gen 4 was the first to go full 3D and at times showcases it well, but it's also still using quite a rigid tilemap-like approach. It means that actually the jump from Advance to DS doesn't seem that much of a change, compared to the advances through the first three generations. On the plus side at least we get good sprites in battle, not the mess that Gen 5 has.

Musically, Sinnoh doesn't stand out. Maybe there's a few good pieces but it's nowhere near the level set by GSC's soundtrack.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
League Champion
Time Zone
GMT+1
@icelandic. Yeah, I agree that Sinnoh did a good job of not making the progression through the region too linear. It's one of the points in which the gen 5 games (especially Black and White) are a bit lackluster. Black and White, on the other hand, actually did the 'good guys turn out to be bad' trope pretty well with the initial Team Plasma story. It would've been cool if they had given Team Galactic a bit of moral high ground as well. But then again, moral high ground is hard to find when your boss is actually a manipulative, sociopathic terrorist who wants to blow up the world and start with a new one completely.

I have to disagree with you on the sprites though. Although the sprites in the Sinnoh games are by no means bad, they're significantly worse than the HGSS sprites in my opinion. The latter are just so much more sleek (compare the sprites for Raikou, Typhlosion or Ho-Oh for instance).
Then again, neither of the games even come close in terms of sprites to the absolute masterpieces that are the gen 5 sprites. In my opinion, those are still the best sprites we've seen to date in any Pokemon game.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
I remember really wanting to play the Sinnoh games for the longest time ever since they came out. It was that foreign region that I new was loaded with awesome stuff. Even my friend had the Sinnoh region Pokedex. But we didn't have the actual game because it was totally locked behind the hardware upgrade that we couldn't afford at all. By the time I was able to finally get my hands on a DS lite, it was to play Pokemon Black... So you bet I took forever to finally get my Sinnoh experience.

Taking a stroll through it, Sinnoh perhaps is one of the best regions out there. There was way more to explore than what Hoenn and Kanto offered in the previous gen. So much so that Fly became that much of a necessity because walking the region can take some decent time, especially if you need to get through Mt. Coronet.

Gameplay... Was def tolerable. I ended up playing Platinum myself and it was alright, but I can say... It doesn't hold up too well. The whole experience is super slow. Battles take forever, saving takes forever, Route 217 takes forever... and goodness do I feel bad for those who didn't play Platinum and had the worst surfing experience. Even a good portion of the soundtrack feels slow. It's this kind of slowness that really makes it hard to come back and play the game... Even if all you wanna do is take down the Elite Four just so you can battle Cynthia.

Cynthia the hands down the best champion ever. Her team kicks butt, her encounter and battle theme kick butt and her looks kick butt. cough cough But I'm sad you have to trudge through the most forgettable Elite Four out there. Way more than Kalos. Their battle theme is like... The worst. They really need to fix that in the remakes.

Sinnoh was definitely groundbreaking, as it was a shiny, massive region on a new-fangled system... and I def applaud their effort because indeed, Sinnoh is a great region packed to the full with all kinds of fun. But maybe it's because Gamefreak really wanted to up their game so much that it was overkill and got stuck with a slow game that gives that serious feel like it was a lot of lost potential.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
@icelandic Then again, neither of the games even come close in terms of sprites to the absolute masterpieces that are the gen 5 sprites. In my opinion, those are still the best sprites we've seen to date in any Pokemon game.
I totally agree with this.

The Sinnoh sprites are fabulous... But the Gen 5 sprites have a special charm to them that is unmatched in any game ever.