DPPt Sinnoh - Over a Decade Later

Quoake

Adept Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ollie
Time Zone
ACST
A lot of people have a problem with Sinnoh games feeling slow and sluggish, and in terms of overworld movement and battle speed, it can feel quite slow. However, I don't think it has a pacing problem in terms of plot or layout. When I played Sinnoh as a kid and as I play it now, it still feels so open and like I can move through it at my own pace, which really makes the world feel so much more vast. This sensation, in addition to some (even if only some) liberties in terms of gym order and different ways to go, makes me feel like I'm choosing where to go, rather than outright being directed. As a kid, I figured out how to navigate Sinnoh just fine. In games like Sun and Moon, I felt like I was on a track, walking in a straight line from exposition dump to exposition dump. Fewer more-recent games seem to be able to replicate this, except maybe for places like north-western Unova in Black and White. Of course, I am super biased as Diamond was my very first Pokémon game, so I'm always going to show it a lot of love.

Another thing I love about the games was the music, which is probably another issue of bias. Now it creates a great deal of nostalgia, but I can also understand how the timbre of the "instruments" used in the soundtrack create a particular atmosphere. It really evokes the beauty and distinct rustic-nature I might associate with the mountains of Hokkaido.

HungryPiplup

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Great games. So slow though that I could not finish a game a while now even though I really like them. It just feels too slow and I find myself quick to lose patience. But I really want to play one of these soon to the end because these games were the ones I played the least overall