Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
Should Game Freak look into remaking DPPt for the Switch? Why? And if so, what kind of changes to the original game would you like to see?

~Kilza~

The Sun Has Set
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
MST (UTC-7)
I think so. There's an obvious demand out there for DPPt to be remade, plus it's been 11 and a half years since the original releases of DP, which fits into GameFreak's general timeline of when they do remakes of these games (like 6-8 for FRLG, 10 for HGSS, 11 for ORAS). Although in all 3 of those cases they all came out after the main series game for that generation, so I imagine that would be the case for a DPPt remake as well, which would push it back to 13 years since the original DP release.

In general, I think the important thing is that GameFreak keeps in most of the changes they made from Diamond/Pearl to Platinum, since DP was a slog compared to Platinum. It would also be nice if they kept in the QoL changes that were made since DPPt came out and if they end up retooling things so that HMs were no longer in the game, like in SM. Or, even if they were, they get rid of Defog because that was the most pointless HM of the series.

colours

Regular Trainer
AKA
Angie/Angelica
I'm not particularly confident in Game Freak's ability to remake DPPt in a manner similar to HGSS in which not only it was really just a faithful nod to the originals, but there were fun features that were added just to make the games that much more enjoyable (like Pokeathlon, for example).

This is really because I felt that, after ORAS more or less omitted Emerald (to some degree), I'm not sure whether or not Game Freak would find it necessary to omit Platinum from a hypothetical DPPt remake, and the pessimistic side of me feels like they will.

Penumbra

The Devil's Advocate
AKA
Pen, Penu, Penny
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4313-6127-3959
I want an updated, less buggy version of FR/LG before a Sinnoh remake, but if Contests make a proper return, then I'm down.

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
Give me Distortion World and I'll be happy. Distortion World was amazing and haven't seen anything like it. But please, if Distortion World does make it, actually flesh out that place and hope they don't give it the single-corridor treatment like the Ultraspace dimensions.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
It would be neat, but since the difference between Gen 4 and today isn't as stark as the difference between Gens 3 and 6 - we already had the physical/special split and wifi and stuff - I'm guessing TCPI isn't in as big a hurry to remake them as they were for the Game Boy games.

Probably even more so than that, the original Diamond and Pearl are still playable on the 3DS, which Nintendo still supports, although probably not for long. At the time Ruby and Sapphire were remade, GBA support had been dead for years. On top of that, DS cartridges don't have the battery problem that GB* ones did.

And honestly, besides the speed of the game itself, there's not that much I would change. I guess it would be neat to see the Distortion World on a console with a modern graphics card but if they do anything they're doing Diamond and Pearl, not Platinum.

I don't put much stock in the "it's been x years since the originals so the remakes are going to happen in y time" theories. It's not like anyone sat down in 1996 and said "okay, in eight years when game technology improves we're going to remake this, and then a few years later we're going to remake that." These are businesses decisions; they do it if and when they think it'll make them the most money.

Last edited:

Moxie

Veteran Ditz
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Daam
Having gen 4 remakes would be great! And if they are following their pattern then it should be coming out sooner rather than later.

The story in diamond, pearl and platinum was really something they could double down on in the remakes and possibly somehow use Arceus to tie it all together since Arceus didn't have much of a presence in the originals, but a Pokemon God being introduced in a certain game means they need to definitely use it more in some way or another. Even in an ALPHA episode if necessary See what I did there But more importantly I'd love to see team galactic again! And like actually imposing since Cyrus is probably one of my favorite bosses

The number of evolutions to old Pokemon is something that Sinnoh is known for too so I guess potentially maybe an explanation for something about the region making them evolve further? Not sure about that, but I'd like Sinnoh to be unique in some way since it doesn't have it's stamp on the Pokemon world like a lot of the other distinct regions

Oh and add more naturally occuring fire types in Sinnoh pls

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
@Dragonite
I think Sinnoh remakes are definitely in their prime now. The Switch definitely has a lot of new capabilities going for it that weren't possible on previous consoles. LGPE is definitely testing grounds to see what people react to before making the official jump with all the mechanics... Right after they introduce gen8 fully that is. It won't be outlandish to see a 2020-21 release once they got the new console down.

Dragonite

have they found the One Piece yet
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
3DS FC
4682-8983-8215
Switch FC
SW-8460-1905-2708
IGN
Dragonite, usually
Oh, that very well might be the case. I'm just saying that if it happens it's not going to be because the originals came out eleven years ago.

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
I'd love a remake on the Platinum side of things - the Battle Frontier there was awesome, but seeing as the remakes so far have been going along the lines of the first set of games rather than the 3rd version, I think it will be DP with maybe one or two new mechanics, like how FRLG had the Sevii islands, HGSS had the Pokeathlon,and ORAS had the Delta episode (plus DexNav of course).

Last edited:

mrpuppychow

a literal puppy
Time Zone
CST
What needs to be a thing again is PSS. I want to get connected without the need to get out of the actual game as I wait. Gen6 was flawless in that aspect.

AuburnEnigma

Being Auburn since 1992
AKA
Amy
Time Zone
GMT
What needs to be a thing again is PSS. I want to get connected without the need to get out of the actual game as I wait. Gen6 was flawless in that aspect.
I'm right with you on that. Festival Plaza was decent enough (especially in USUM) but it would have been better if that was a separate mechanic along the same lines as Poke Pelago and then we still had the PSS at the bottom. Even Gen 5 had the C Gear on the bottom screen, incomplete as it was.

Vesphira

=^.^=
AKA
Ves
Time Zone
EST
I would love to see Sinnoh with updated graphics, but I want to keep my modern conveniences. In ORAS I was bummed we couldn’t customize our characters, and we lost our roller skates. I def want the ride pager to continue.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ben
Time Zone
UTC -8 (Pacific Time)
3DS FC
3540-0538-1086
Switch FC
SW-1778-2704-5495
IGN
Benjamin
I hope the updated ost is as good as the other remakes. Sinnoh has one of the best soundtracks in the series and hearing it with updated instruments sounds incredible.

Resolute

To the beat of his own drum
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
AKA
Ben, Res, Baguettes, Baggy
Time Zone
EST
I would really want to see a live jazz quartet version of the Jubilife City theme in the game.

GAME FREAK PLZ

Spacey

spacing out
AKA
Astra
Time Zone
CST
I'd really like to see some Platinum elements factored in, even though they're likely doing DP remakes. It'd be really nice to see the return of the Battle Frontier and an updated Distortion World (maybe in a postgame quest?). Also, it'd be really cool to see the Underground get an online functionality. I never really got to play Pokemon with other kids, so I never got to do it with others, but I think it'd be fun. And the Shaymin and Darkrai events brought back too. Mythical Pokemon events are a lot more interesting than the "congrats you entered the code here's the Pokemon" that they do now.