Smash Camp 2019 Feedback Thread

Kirichaki

Monokuma appears!
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Curry, Clam
Time Zone
EST
Hey everyone! Now that camp is officially over, we'd like to take some time to get feedback from everyone about your experiences this year. What did you like? What didn't you like? Are there ideas or suggestions for how things could be better in the future? We have a few questions we'd like to address specifically, but if you want to bring anything else up please do!

- This year we made a rather big adjustment and removed participation points almost entirely from Smash Camp. After participating, what are your feelings about this? Would you like participation points to be more prominent again, or did you like the change?

- How was the selection of side events (tourneys, speedruns, etc.) and flash games this year? Which ones would you be interested in seeing again?

- What are your feelings about the main events (superhero, point wars, etc.) this year? Would you be interested in seeing these return?

- The Scavenger Hunt was changed this year to require cabins to solve puzzles before getting their items. Did you like this change? How did you feel about the puzzles themselves? Would you prefer for puzzles to be separate from the Scavenger Hunt in the future, or just no puzzles at all?

- Is there anything else you feel could be changed or improved for future years?

Burr

Sleepiness incarnate
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wuyoon
Time Zone
CST
I love the change to participation points in everything, as it made one feel pressured that they had to do everything under the sun... And it made submissions much more lacking in quality as people only felt the need to just 'participate', not actually do much.
This year I did not feel like I had to do absolutely everything possible and could do things at my own chill slow pace to participate. AND the few things I did poke into I felt more happy to get involved with and try harder at. (Waking up at 11 pm to solve sudoku for the squad)

As for the scavenger hunt this year, I loved the puzzle aspect of it. While ashamedly, the puzzles were usually solved before many campers could wake up, it was fun to engage as a group and work together to try and figure out the puzzle that would 'unlock' the activities to do for the day. Like a legitimate scavenger hunt with puzzles, riddles, and tricks to find the clues for the items you're actually needing to provide. It was fun. Maybe next year could involve some riddles as well, or some bread trails to follow... Like having to find edited posts and links in old forum posts elsewhere in the site. (Like legitimately hiding a cookie icon in a forum post that we have to click to get one part of the url, and you only offer suggestions on where the cookies might be hiding...)

Wheegalure

Big Gamer God
Staff Emeritus
People of Play Counselor
AKA
Nick
aight bro

- This year we made a rather big adjustment and removed participation points almost entirely from Smash Camp. After participating, what are your feelings about this? Would you like participation points to be more prominent again, or did you like the change?

Not going to lie, I hated this change. I def talked to some people during camp who said they felt super carried by their cabin because being too busy meant that they contributed near nothing. I feel like Smash Camp should be more about the team than the individual and I've always felt that way. This really makes it much more about how many superstars you have in your cabin and how many people have free time. While the thought of letting people pick and choose what they want to do is a noble goal, this solution just does not work in my opinion.

- How was the selection of side events (tourneys, speedruns, etc.) and flash games this year? Which ones would you be interested in seeing again?

0 complaints on tournaments. Run well and good turnout. Shoutout to staff for that. Speedruns I might say add the incentive from mobile games (highest score at end of the day gets bonus) and either stick to one speedrun or pick a more speedrun friendly game than BOTW; really only 2 people tried to speedrun BOTW and it showed.

- What are your feelings about the main events (superhero, point wars, etc.) this year? Would you be interested in seeing these return?

This isn't related to main events really moreso all of them. But as cabin leader I was super exhausted in negotiations a lot of time for events like point wars, rpg royale, sticker hunt, etc. Way too much deception involved to get ahead. That's a personal thing for me but I also felt like I just spent too much time this year negotiating stuff for those. Want to shoutout Medley for being amazing as always and make a superhero for being a super fun change of pace. Lastly, make all art contests two day contests. Those poor artists.

- The Scavenger Hunt was changed this year to require cabins to solve puzzles before getting their items. Did you like this change? How did you feel about the puzzles themselves? Would you prefer for puzzles to be separate from the Scavenger Hunt in the future, or just no puzzles at all?

Personally, I found them a lot of fun but despite my enjoyement, these were objectively awful, I think. A lot of the puzzles were monotonous stuff like sudoku and retreads. I heard horror stories of Scott doing the puzzles mostly by himself in Cabin 1 because his cabin wasn't able to be there to help him. And I also felt like the day 2 and 3 puzzles took way too much time. I'll specifically mention Sticker hunt as something that had a lot of potential but was ruined by the cabin trading part. There was a lot of potential with these but I think there was no need to make this a race and could have been a bit more creative with the types of puzzles (though that is easier said than done)

- Is there anything else you feel could be changed or improved for future years?

Want to shoutout manual selection. It wasn't perfect but I think balance got SO much better because of it. My main thoughts are really just bring back participation points and refine puzzles. Nothing else comes to mind right now, but I'll think on it. Still a good year as always, but I mostly did not like the changes brought to the table this year.

atlus 2

biglilfella
Creative Soul
AKA
matlus
- "How was the selection of side events (tourneys, speedruns, etc.) and flash games this year? Which ones would you be interested in seeing again?"

I like these, I hope the games are more accessible in the future though, as I don't own a switch, gbc, 3ds with vc crystal, and the E-word is very frowned upon

- "What are your feelings about the main events (superhero, point wars, etc.) this year? Would you be interested in seeing these return? "

I like these in general and i wouldve contributed more if i could, these are a good amount and I think adding more would be a bit overencumbering for smash camp

- "The Scavenger Hunt was changed this year to require cabins to solve puzzles before getting their items. Did you like this change? How did you feel about the puzzles themselves? Would you prefer for puzzles to be separate from the Scavenger Hunt in the future, or just no puzzles at all?"

The Puzzles are a here and there issue. The general idea of them is great and we've had some cool ones, but i think the big flaw in execution is variety in them, which is lacking considering we had math puzzles along the lines of sudoku/kakuro for 3 straight days. I dont mind 1 or 2 days of them, but 3 days back to back is excessive rehashing ngl

The scavenger items seem a lot more niche this year too, like worms and fireplaces and its poopoo and peepee my country is so clean there r no such thing as worms B(

idk

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Only complaints I have come from the Sudoku garbage (which was a nightmare for people like Joe aka Piplup17 to do), and the sticker hunt thing. Absolutely hated how hard headed it felt Cabin 1 was being with it, which soured my experience personally. Only thing I can do better myself was to be more active but I was either in school or at work 75% of the time, so that’s on me. Shoutout to no participation points, though. I actually appreciate it.

Last edited:

SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
this is gonna get kinda rambly sorry
I'm not sure if this is a byproduct of the changes to SC this year, or if it's just me approaching this year differently for whatever reason. But I felt as if there was a lot more emphasis on inter-cabin relationships this year. Communicating and working with other cabins felt like the exception other years, but this was the norm. It was to the point where I personally, as someone who ended up doing Point Wars, the group events, and general under-the-hood dealings felt too burned out mentally to focus on much else, like Flash Games. Which is kind of a pity, considering how performance this year was more important than ever.

On that same thread, participation points (or more the lack thereof). They're a double edged sword. On one hand, I like how they've removed the pressure to do things you weren't interested in. You could focus on what you loved and be fine with it. But it also meant that the only way you could be productive is if you went ham. And maybe this is something I (and maybe we as a whole) have to get used to, but as someone who is used to doing everything at least once, an event didn't feel "done" until I thought it could land itself on the leaderboard. This, inadvertently, caused more stress for me on a personal scale, and caused me to just about pass out from exhaustion at one point in the camp. It also really invalidated a lot of people who couldn't (or didn't want to) no-life camp. But SC shouldn't be about how many actives you have, either. That feels stupid and arbitrary, and it feels like it kind of just means who can check off the most boxes. Not really something that's a competition.

Both sides in mind, though, I think I prefer the lack of participation points. Yes, it means that those who can no-life camp and who do so are significantly more beneficial to their cabin than people who have obligations. But I guess what brings up the question of what are we competing over? What do we want the competition itself to be about? Winning games, or pestering people to do things that they might not enjoy? I know I'd prefer the former. For those who feel useless as of a result, yes, it is the blunt truth that you kind of are if you look at things from only a point perspective. But you gotta define the point of camp for yourself, and I think the main pull for a lot of people is just uniting and working on an event together.

Perhaps if you could have it be like your Cabin gets a bonus if your cumulative flash game score in a game exceeds X number. Anyone can contribute to that, yet you aren't immobilized if you don't feel like doing it.

Edit: Whee it's tomorrow:
Participation Points
After sleeping on it and reading through everyone else's stuff, I think I realize another issue with no participation points: they kind of kill motivation. Setting realistic, concrete, achievable goals is what really fuels humans to do a task in the first place. To get a nebulously high score be your goal straight from "I've never played this" is a jump just a tad too far for most people to take. I know I felt less motivated to do them. Just even playing the game once with "participation" being the goal and then taking your experience with that game and deciding if you think you could do well on it makes that significantly easier on the brain. So if you ask me, I don't think participation points should come back fully, but I don't think they should be completely killed either.

When Varhii vented and damn near broke down in chat, I think this was a huge reason for that too. The lack of participation points kills stress if you aren't competitive, but if you are competitive, it amplifies it tenfold. Because then you can only be the best, or useless.

Daily Side Events
I think the side events should involve the whole cabin. I liked the Superhero event. I liked the Medley. But if we're moving away from participation credit only, a lot of events become kind of obsolete. Take the writing contest, for instance. We had two people do that event exactly, and one of those people was me because I realized only one person was interested and I had to push myself to submit something (and I think it showed in my writing). Or the art event, which to my knowledge, only Brian, Alexo, and I participated in. For those specifically, imo, I think they should be weekly contests. Have an entire week, make the best god damn piece of art or writing that you can. Because it'd be a shame for the event to due but there just isn't the interest for it from a daily event perspective, especially with it having such a quick turnaround in those instances.

For Point Wars, I kinda liked it, but submissions every hour when I was already overwhelmed because I was still in the mindset that I had to do everything was downright maddening. I caused a lot of personal drama for myself this week, and I largely blame how I handled stuff like this for it. I do like how it let us have a really nice friendship with Cabin 2, but at the same time I don't think it was worth it. I'm sure the same would have been for the badge event had we not been able to breathe and be on friendly enough terms with everyone to get things without trouble.

Weekly Side Events
Very few complaints. Kill hamej if you do RPG again. Kinda miss the other RPG fighting event from last year. The one thing that comes to mind with that is if an interest thread is put out and one cabin has only two, three people who mention being interested? Whoever those last signups are I can guarantee you won't give much of a ****. I'd change signups for that so that rather than one person per alias, you're given X number of roles, and then everyone in the cabin puppets and moves these pieces around (for EiM). Something similar for RPG would be nice, too.

Tours were good, though I think some of my cabin mates would have preferred you give them a warning of that you gotta be around all day EST time or something. Because timezones sucked and ****ed with a lot of things on our end.

Saltybet was iconic as always. Never get rid of saltybet.

Arcaea scared me off due to the insane time commitment and having to do all of those songs multiple times. I tried it, but considering I never posted anything, it felt like a waste of time and that's a damn shame. Color Switch was fun.

I really can't comment on speedruns. They've never really been my thing, and they were even less so this year.

Scavenger Hunt
See, I draw an interesting parallel here. I remember Virtual Tour. I remember the grind people went through, I remember us all pulling a super late night getting the achievements and there was a very real thrill to getting it down first. The commitment isn't much different than what we had for Scavenger. But people liked VT, and not Scavenger. Why?

I think it's due to the puzzles burning people out. They felt repetitive, they felt intense, and they felt time consuming. Craft them like how you craft VT somehow, and I think everyone loves it. But as is I think the nature of the puzzles gotta change. Maybe make these longer puzzles a side event? Like what you guys did for badges (aside from the cabin part of it) was really cool, and could probably be a daily event all on its own.

Didn't really care for the items themselves this year. Part of what makes scavenger hunts fun is being difficult, but achievable and quick. Many of these would have required me to leave the house, something I was not going to do when I could grind games and get us a higher score, or recuperate and regain some mental energy.

Other thoughts
Day thread immediately before points was a god send. Daily mobile/salty bet updates were great. Thanks for another great year, guys!
TL;DR: No participation points, less motivation. No participation points kill stress from a casual PoV but amplifies it from a competitive one. Make writing and art a week long competition, and make daily side events more group focused. Scav hunt works in theory because Virtual Tour worked, just rework it some and it'll be fine.

Last edited:

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy

I’m a little torn on this because I see both sides. Personally, as someone who had a relatively good amount of time, I didn’t mind having participation points gone for most events. The top 10 scores getting points made the lack of participation points feel unimportant for me PERSONALLY. That said, I know people with busier schedules felt like they couldn’t help as much, and looking through the leaderboards you do see A LOT of the same names in the top 10 every day. Like Nick said, it feels like a bit less of a team effort when the same people are bringing in all of the points with little ability for someone who doesn’t have quite so much time to participate. That said, on the other hand there’s also a little less pressure to spend time on something you don’t want to do just to get participation points, and I do think that can be nice.

I can’t really speak for tourneys as someone who doesn’t battle or have smash, but a lot of the other events were enjoyable. I didn’t have enough time for as many of them as I would’ve liked, but it does seem like people had a good time. I do think BOTW wasn’t the best game for a speedrun competition, though I suppose it might be difficult to find something that DOES work as well as Pokémon and is accessible for most people. As far as games go the only one I wasn’t really fond of was 16348 hex. I actually really enjoy 2048 so it’s not like I disliked it for gameplay, it just takes SO LONG to get through one game if you’re any good at it. In the Smash Camp environment that isn’t a good thing, IMO. Sure, I placed on the leaderboard, but if I hadn’t I would’ve felt like I had wasted my time. Heck, even with being on the leaderboard I STILL kind of felt like I had wasted time. Smash Camp is not the place for games that take forever to finish.

I enjoyed most of the events. I agree with Nick that it felt like there were a lot of things involving negotiation, and while that was enjoyable it could be a bit exhausting at times. That said I found point wars very enjoyable in particular and the medley is always fun. Multi-day events were nice because there feels like less of a rush and that can be refreshing in the rapid Smash Camp environment.

I enjoyed the puzzles for the most part. Some days, I found them more frustrating than fun (especially as they got longer tbh), and as some people mentioned certain ones felt like rehashes of things we’d already done. And, honestly, I also didn’t really like the first cabin bonus for it. I understand that it’s a competition and having it be a race makes sense, but some days there was hardly anyone around at the beginning of the day because of scheduling, jobs, etc. If there’s going to be something like this, it almost feels like that’d be another thing to be balanced with sorting. It can be kind of disheartening to see the same cabins get the bonus most of the time when you didn’t really have the manpower at the designated time to work on things quickly enough to even really put up a fight. Maybe one way to help with this would be to have the puzzles start at different times each day so that more people have the chance to help with them and availability at one specific time is less of an issue, though obviously they couldn’t be tied to the scavenger hunt in that case.

I’m sure there probably is but I can’t think of anything right now I’ll get back to you if I do. I did REALLY appreciate the day post coming out right at midnight with the scores being edited in later so keep that up in the future please!!

EDIT: going to echo what Joe said about some of the scavenger hunt items feeling too difficult to find
EDIT (again): this is another really little thing that I can definitely see getting veto'd, but with things like the superhero event I'm ngl it's can feel pretty crummy to put a lot of work into something and get no feedback other than a place. I would prefer those kinds of intensive creative events to be graded more on quality than anything since they're SO SUBJECTIVE and the results can feel almost arbitrary without feedback. That said, I'm not losing any sleep over it or anything and I understand the spirit of the competition and whatnot so this may not be a realistic suggestion, but it is something I think is worth bringing up. I think camp is FAR more fun with high stakes and a lower score difference between the cabins anyway. It's suspenseful and exciting when it feels like anyone's game.

Last edited:

piplup17

riplup
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
piplup, Joe
Time Zone
EST
First I want to say thanks for doing SC, doing it is always a lot of fun and this year was probably my favorite year in a while. As for the things asked,

- When I first learned they were being mostly removed I hated it and it was honestly part of why I signed up so late for SC this year, but I wound up feel pretty neutral about it. I wouldn't mind them returning, but I also wouldn't mind them staying gone. If they do stay away though, keep it at about the top 10, maybe even a bit higher depending on signups. I feel like going too high would discourage a lot of people from even trying, while it still seemed like (in my cabin at least) most still did try even if we didn't get top 10

-I liked all the side things I participated in this year, I wouldn't mind seeing any of them again but changing things up every year (for the mobile games, speedrun(s) and the tourney formats) is probably a good idea.

-point wars was neat, I liked the fact that alliances and cross-cabin negotiations were a thing but I totally understand why some people disliked it. Something I did notice about the flash games this year is that they (to me at least) seemed to all new to SC/not games from every year, and I was surprised specifically by the lack of Solipskier and Dolphin Olympics which I felt like were almost SC staples. I don't mind them being gone though (kinda liked it, actually), it was just weird to see.

-These cost me way too much sleep for me to like them. Personally I felt mixed about the puzzles, I feel some were way harder than others (kakuro made me lose my sanity) and for some there were too many puzzles/layers (specifically later on). I don't mind them existing, but I also don't know if I like them "locking" the scavenger hunt. Something else, and this may just be me, but I feel like the items as whole were also a lot harder to find this year, and whether or not that was intentional, I wasn't a big fan. If it wasn't that's fine, but if it was, I feel like it was unneeded, especially with the "bonus" already existing.

Also something else I like is the next day's activities being put up at midnight without the points/results; it was made less impactful due to me staying up until 3am multiple times for puzzles, but if we had to wait for the results/thread to be posted, that 3am would've been a lot later than 3am.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Cult Classic
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
This year we made a rather big adjustment and removed participation points almost entirely from Smash Camp. After participating, what are your feelings about this? Would you like participation points to be more prominent again, or did you like the change?
I have some mixed feelings about it tbh. On one hand, I can get why they were removed because they allowed people to not put a lot of effort into submissions just to get a few points in the event. On the other, it feels like a lot of people were busy during the event and didn't really have a lot of time to dedicate to the event. I can't speak for other cabins or other people even, but I know for me personally, I didn't really feel very motivated to really make any sort of effort to participate in some of the daily stuff because I wasn't going to get participation points. If there were participation points, I probably would've tried a little harder (for lack of better phrasing) at least, but for the most part, I didn't really see too much point in it, especially when I only had a couple hours at most to do stuff when I got home from work. It was better for me to focus my attention on the events I had a chance in.

Perhaps include participation points in a way in which it won't be so overbearing for people in that they won't feel like they have to do everything? I liked what Kat suggested about getting some kinda bonus if your team gets at least X score or higher, but within reason so that it doesn't feel too grindy/like you have to go hardcore if you just want to participate. Maybe also if there are going to be participation points, have them be for events that require more effort to count for it, like the speedruns for example, in that you actually had to play the game up to a certain point for it to count.

At the end of the day, I liked how participation points were removed because it made me feel like it was okay to not do everything. I went into this a little stressed because I felt like I had to do everything, but I talked to others and relaxed a bit and decided that I was just going to contribute where I could and focus on having fun. I think it should be more about having fun and not about how many active people you have on your team, but I also feel that it shouldn't feel like only a couple people in the cabin are putting in the majority of the work either.

How was the selection of side events (tourneys, speedruns, etc.) and flash games this year? Which ones would you be interested in seeing again?
I didn't do the tourneys because I'm not much of a competitive battler, and I don't have a Switch, so the other tourney wasn't an option for me. Can't really say much about those.

The speed runs sounded cool, and I appreciate that y'all allowed us to use the e-word on them because otherwise, it would've been a struggle to participate. I've never done a speed run before, but being able to play Crystal again was pretty rad. I didn't place, but I was happy just being able to play the game. I didn't do the BotW one (even though I could've done it on an e-word) because I didn't want to speed through it when I haven't played the game before, basically personal reasons.

Other side stuff was cool. Wasn't really feeling the mobile games, but I liked how it was done. I think maybe my only suggestion there is to choose a less time intensive mobile game? Color Switch wasn't super time intensive, but with Arcaea, there were a lot of songs and it felt like a lot to do just to get an overall high score. If Arcaea comes back next year, I think choosing less songs would help. Color Switch wasn't really my kinda game in the first place, and Arcaea seemed like a neat game, but I just wasn't feeling playing it. Knowing I had to do about 10 or so songs for them to be averaged out into one high score was a little overwhelming too and I think discouraged me from playing.

I didn't play too many of the flash games this year because I just didn't have time to. I liked the Hex game, which surprised me because I wasn't too much of a fan of similar games. Wings Over Water was a really neat game too. The only thing I really have to say about flash games was I noticed that on day 2 I think, one of the games didn't work out and a new game had to be found. My suggestion for that is to just test the games in the future ahead of Smash Camp so that there's no issues like that in the future.

What are your feelings about the main events (superhero, point wars, etc.) this year? Would you be interested in seeing these return?
I didn't do anything with Point Wars because I was asleep/at work, so I can't say too much about that.

For the other events, I think I found myself a little stressed out and frustrated by them. The amount of time given just didn't feel like enough to properly dedicate to the events and not do a rush job. For Superhero, I struggled with that in part because I've admittedly been struggling with writing in general lately but also a lack of time. I had two days to do it, but I was at work both days and only had a couple hours each night to work on it. Thankfully it was a team effort, because I think if it was a solo one, it would've been a lot worse if I'd submitted something on my own. Day 4's writing felt super rushed to me, and what I submitted I wasn't happy with, let alone complete, but I submitted it anyways. I was surprised my flag even placed because I felt like I rushed on that too to submit something. Day 5's art was the only one I didn't feel like I'd rushed on, but it was also the only day the whole week I was able to really do anything in Smash Camp because it was my day off from work.

Maybe for the events where only a certain number of submissions were selected, like the writing event from day 4 for example, still have the counselor pick their top 2, but also give incentive for others in the cabin to write too, if they want. The counselor could pick "honorable mentions," which would be capped at X number to be determined by camp staff (probably based on the number of campers), which could then earn participation points for their cabin? Or camp staff could do it, but I know y'all already got a lot on you, hence why I picked the counselors.

As others have pointed out, I noticed the deceptive play between cabins too. I wasn't super involved in it like others were, but I saw it discussed some in my cabin. It felt a little awk to have it because it felt like it just sucked the fun out of it because you were then playing to win, not so much to have fun, which I feel is more in line with what this event is about. I think being able to interact and work with other cabins is a neat idea, but I think it should be under more friendly means and not having to worry about deceiving another cabin or even just other players.

The Scavenger Hunt was changed this year to require cabins to solve puzzles before getting their items. Did you like this change? How did you feel about the puzzles themselves? Would you prefer for puzzles to be separate from the Scavenger Hunt in the future, or just no puzzles at all?
Ehhhhh. Not really. The puzzles were cool in concept, but some of them felt real frustrating just from looking at them. The math wasn't really my thing at all (thank god some people in my cabin understand math), and a lot of them just felt like it took a lot of time to figure out. I didn't participate too much with the puzzles, but I watched my cabin do it and I just kinda got this vibe that they were really struggling. It didn't help that you had to do them to unlock the scavenger hunt items, so I'm glad my cabin did put in all that work to get them, but it just feels like unnecessary work, especially when in some cases, you may have to go out and find the items. I don't mind the puzzles, but I think they should be separate from the scavenger hunt.

I liked having bonuses on the scavenger hunt items too. I dunno if that's been a regular thing since the last Smash Camp I participated in was in 2016, but if it's not, I liked it and I'd be happy seeing it again.

Is there anything else you feel could be changed or improved for future years?
It's late, so I'll make another post later to touch more on this. Overall though, I enjoyed myself this year, despite the rough start I personally had with feeling like I had to do everything and then realizing I didn't really have to! Smash Camp is the main reason why I decided to make Marilland my new internet home when I was looking for a new one because it's an event I really enjoy, and I'm glad it's still around and kicking and I had the opportunity to participate in some fashion. All of y'all are great! ♥

Rydia

ΦωΦ
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Unyielding Wings
AKA
Brian
Time Zone
PST

I personally really didn't like it. Here's a list of events I didn't even bother trying because there was no points: Canabalt, Curveball, Writing, Day 5 flash games (mainly other reasons though), Salty Bet, ZU Tourney, Color Switch. I saw no reason to bother because either I knew I wouldn't score high or I didn't have time to sit there and grind flash games, and I say this as somebody who was able to get a moderate amount of free time each day. You could consider this a good thing, seeing as that means that I can put my efforts into the other activities, like me going ham on Arcaea. But that's also an issue: if I don't go ham on an activity, I feel completely useless. People who work full time jobs or have school have it even worse because they have a limited amount of time and likely won't be able to grind as much. If this event went on and I still had school, I would literally have score like maybe 100 points for my cabin. Like others have said, this ends up becoming a contest of each cabin's top players fighting for the top score while everybody else just watches. However, I understand why this was changed, to prevent crappy last minute submissions, which I'm guilty for last year. I don't think this is necessarily bad though, because there's enjoyment in seeing these last minute meme submissions. Everybody sharing their 5 minute drawings last year after camp was pretty funny.

This brings up a topic that draws a line in what Smash Camp exactly is though. Do we see SC as an event that rewards team contributions and give bonuses to those who go out of their way? Or is it an event that focuses solely on being the best of the best? It's a hard question to answer.

The Smash tourney was pretty well run. Even with a slight hiccup regarding timezones, the staff was able to easily solve the issue with no problems, which deserves mention. I had no issues at all. The BotW speedrun, while fun, felt very niche. Not many people from my cabin really seemed too interested in it until the last day. It's hard to pick a game other than Pokemon for speedrunning, so it's understandable. Arcaea was great, though that's a totally biased answer. I can't remember if this was in last year, but the bonus points for being top at the end of the day really pushed me to make sure I tried each day. Flash games were hit or miss for me. I only really enjoyed 3 games, which were Hex, Winterbells, and Geometry. For the most part, I'm pretty neutral towards the flash games.

Medley is great and always will be great. Bring that back next year please. No opinion on point wars because I didn't participate. The superhero event was pretty neat, I enjoyed it, though I got pretty burned out on it after drawing it, especially because I knew there was gonna be another art contest somewhere in the week. The cabin icons event though was interesting. I loved the icon search around the forums (though the locations for the icons, I felt should've been a bit more clear, especially the icon in the void pit that my cabin thought was a SC Misc icon rather than SC Forums icon, so I spent over 30 minutes looking for the last icon in the SC Forums only to find it in SC Misc) and I loved the cabin wars for icons. But I didn't think they should've been connected. I didn't like how the excitement of finishing the icon search was stunted by having to get the other cabin icons. Art contest was same as always but the theme was cool. However, like Nick says, please make the art contests 2 days long. I don't have the mental fortitude to sit in front of my computer for 6 hours drawing with stressful possibility that I won't finish on time. I know one of the key points of having it be one day is to see what we can do in one day, but as an artist myself and I'm sure others feel this way, I get ****ing pissed off knowing that my work looks like crap, even if I know that I'm doing this under limited time conditions. I didn't spend as much time this year on the art contest, but last year I literally did nothing but sit there all day drawing.

It was pretty neat at first, but then it became really convoluted. I would've preferred that the puzzles be spread out and less common (like do Mon Wed Fri for puzzles). They also got too long over the week and I started to roll my eyes when I saw that I had to solve yet another puzzle after already solving a puzzle. They definitely have potential and I wouldn't mind them coming back, but in a different way. Also, the race absolutely sucked imo. Not everybody is available at 9 PM PST/Midnight EST which already sets an uneven playing ground. I had something things come up suddenly where my mom called me to help her out, and I missed the 9PM mark twice. Basically I don't want to be punished for me or my cabin all not sitting there waiting for 9PM.

Compared to last year, the sorting was muuuuuuuch better. I'm tired as **** so I'll answer this later if I remember.

Last edited:

God

a Mess
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
EST
My post would basically just echo a lot of Nick and Brian's thoughts, so I'm not bothering on writing a large post, but I want to bullet point some really important ones.

- I did feel pretty useless a majority of the days. Yes I helped solve like 3 major puzzles for scav hunt and I felt pretty good getting like 2 URLs first before legit anyone else (it was the day with 'fruitcake' lol) but holy ****.e I really wish participation was left in because it at least gives something, yes I know it 'forces' people to do things they don't wanna do but lol it's a lot better to have a few forced options than boning people who can't contribute all day long.

- Wtf scav hunt. I live in a town of 200 people and we have a fire ban currently in place. Firepit was literally impossible and the only food truck in a like 2h radius from Elliot Lake to just out of Sudbury is like. the one 10 minutes from me and we had no gas to get to it. Also it's been really nasty hot here and all the worms are dead. Wtf can I even do here (I am glad the firepit thing was also counting fireplaces but cmon)

I am also going to echo the 2-day art events. I basically rushed my entry in a panic LOL just cos I wanted to place (and I did, 6th-10th rip) but it was a big oof nonetheless.

It was a pretty good year tho.

Rockie

Dark Envoy
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Rockie
Time Zone
GMT
3DS FC
5043-2301-9525
Switch FC
SW-0094-9126-2724
IGN
Rockie
Well, seeing as this was my first SC of course I don't know what it was like before this, but there were a lot of times where people would want to contribute but saw it as pointless because for a lot of things you'd only get points if you won or placed high. I do kind of understand but consider how many people were busy this year and really didn't have as much time as they would've liked to participate. Its like Nick said, a lot of people felt carried by the rest of the cabin.

Pretty good I'd say! If I'd had more energy I may have participated in some of the speedruns, almost definitely the BotW one if I hadn't only just started playing it again.

Interesting and creative! Point wars was very fast paced and hectic but simple enough to keep on top of. The only one I kind of had a problem with was the Dungeon RPG and it wasn't a problem with the system (aside from stupid hamhej anyway lol) but considering how the normal version was extended over a long period of time it was super cramped into a small timeframe. Going back to the amount of business people had, it wasn't so much that I didn't have time for it but very few of my cabinmates were ever on to discuss actions.

I did like it! I wish I woke up earlier in the day so that I could've solved the puzzles before my cabin beat me to it. Some of them were tricky and difficult but I think they were very creative. As for whether it should stay part of the scavenger hunt I'm not really sure, its more accomplishing to do the puzzles first but that leaves potentially low-on-time individuals waiting to do one of the shorter tasks.

Honestly not much, I did enjoy it a lot and so did many others. The only real issue is trying to have activities available to those with tighter schedules? Bring back participation points possibly as well. In the end though fantastic job everyone, you did well to even fit all these activities into 5 days, so I have great respect for your efforts!

BZWGolem

Conspirator☆
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Personally, the saddest part for me was the removal of participation points.
Even when I was younger, I was never the type to get much high scores or win tournaments. Not because I was lazy or didn't put the effort in, but because I'm the "love games but suck at them" type. I also never had artistic skills. I was in like 3 camps previously and even when I was active during the whole camp, I got 1-3rd place in any event maybe 2 times.
Now, this is why I always loved participation points. I felt that I contributed even though I may not be the best or not have much free time. Like me being part of the team had sense.

Now I'm a boring adult with lots of responsibilities. I honestly felt horrible when I understood that I'm simply unable to get points for my team because this small hour of free time I have is not enough for getting a decent score in anything or create any decent piece of art. I gave up at flash games fast because this it was a waste of time (even though previously I always tried those).

This year the only thing I was able to get points for was the Scavenger Hunt, and not even the whole of it because I was unable to roam the city due to the heatwave we had here lately..
I felt useless. Like I was actually dragging my cabin down. Like if I didn't join then they would have had it better with somebody else.

Fafrir

Guardian
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
A lot of my thoughts are going to echo a lot other people's thoughts but here goes:

I was on the fence about this but after thinking about it and reading other posts, I think bringing back participation points would do more good than harm. If anything, I've never participated in the flash games because I'm just not the greatest in them, my life was busy (work and I was out of town for two days), and my pinky was a nuisance. Plus as many others said, it adds more of a team effort and I feel more activity will always have a cabin leading, participation points or not.

I've only participated in EIM and that event is always solid, well ran, and is definitely a game I want to see back in Smash Camp. Salty Bet should always be a tradition and whatnot. Smash and Pokémon tourneys are basically mainstays but one of the unfortunate parts is Smash Ultimate required Nintendo Online in order to play online. However, Ultimate is still a fun game. As others said, BotW speedrun felt too niche and I feel it should be replaced with something else (like Jackbox if possible, that would be fun).

Bro, drawing full body Shrimp Man on mobile with a crappy stylus because I couldn't find my good one and a broken pinky, while out of town is quite a lot of pressure put on me. But I did it. Besides that, I did enjoy that event and I would love to see it again in future years. As said, feedback for superheroes instead of merely rankings would be amazing. Medley is always fun and should always be in future Camps. I never participated in Point Wars but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I do strongly agree with the others on extending the timeline for writing and art competitions for an entire week (I'm also fine with two days). Yesterday, I had a 6 hour shift plus responsibilities so trying to "finish" a drawing in that short time frame left me a bit unsatisfied with my drawing; there was so much more polish and features I wanted to do.

On paper, it seems novel as you have to work to find the items you have to find but I think it's fine to separate the puzzles from the scavenger hunts. While I loved Sudoku (it's an activity I tend to do from time to time), I was completely frustrated on Kakuro initially simply because I never knew about the whole repeating numbers in cells.

This was probably the first year in memory that I've actually never got all the items. I do have to agree the items this year were a little more niche (namely the food truck and the worm) and I wouldn't mind if they were just items you can find at home.

I feel I've said a lot but as I mentioned, I would love to see a Jackbox event. I feel that will be a neat way to interact with the other cabins and there is a competitive nature in it too.

Other than that, thank you so much for hosting this event and shoutout to the Shrimp Squad for being amazing! 🦐

Last edited:

Bluejay

((knowledge increase))
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
Time Zone
CST
Hey, this was a fun event and thanks for running it!

Can't comment much on this since it was my first smash camp but I do kinda feel like I might not have submitted a Crystal speedrun if not for the participation points that came with it.

Tourneys were great, although I think a bit more carefulness with time zones could have been done so that we could have fixed the issue where my original opponent and I were unable to find a time that worked for the both of us.

RPG Battle Royale seemed like it needed more incentives and rewards for people to actually attack each other right at the start.

The quiz was fun and a good event to have, but I'm not sure about putting all of the difficult questions in the opening round and then leaving the easier questions for tiebreaking. Also, I think the time limit could have been extended - one minute is a very, very short amount of time that is ok for podcasts but for a much longer-running event it doesn't have to be like that.

The individual art/writing events needed more time. Our cabin had trouble submitting more than one item for those because most people were unable to cobble anything together in the amount of time given. The superhero event, which combined the two, was actually the best out of that type of event because it allowed for collaborative work. The medley was also a good event for those reasons.

Again, I'm not sure how different this was in the past, but it seemed like the combination of gating the list of items behind puzzles and making the items more difficult to find made it not get received well. I think enough people have complained about the puzzles (shoutout to the people who actually made it through the entire morse code. Seriously, that was way way too long of a message and also particularly awful in the sense that if you stopped it in the middle you had to restart from the beginning), but a couple items like the food truck are going to be inherently difficult for most people so I'd avoid those kinds of items in the future.

Make sure every flash game works as intended and don't pick ones that require a huge amount of time to get a decent score on (16384).

The games that included negotiations seemed to really wear down the cabin leaders and leave them a lot less time for doing everything else.

A more detailed points breakdown for each event would be really appreciated. For example, nobody knows how many points opposing cabins got for scavenger hunt items and how many people participated in speedruns.

Feedback and thoughts from judges on the art/writing would be nice to have. What made the winning pieces stand out?

Overall, I believe the best events were the ones that required or encouraged collaborative teamwork, and those would be high on my list of events to return for future years. Maybe not the puzzles though, but it was neat to see what could be done with the Xenforo system.

Of course, I don't want to make this post all criticism and would like to end by saying this was a lot of fun to participate in! I'm not sure if I will get a chance to enter again (various life events made it too difficult to in previous years), but I will definitely remember this week well. Shoutouts to my fellow cabin members for all the effort they put in to help win us the trophy, Wheegalure for keeping everything together in leading the cabin, the crew members and leaders for running the events efficiently, and to everyone else for being good competitors and fun people to hang out with!

Burr

Sleepiness incarnate
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Wuyoon
Time Zone
CST
I think I am there only one here who liked the removal of participation points...

My final words on it is to think of how the change was for staff. Previously they'd have MASS submissions to go through and sort. I remember Curry staying up till like 6 am digging and working himself ragged to look through submissions each day. Many of which were very poor "attempts" just to get those free points for the cabin.
Was there less for the staff to look at this year? Was the general quality of attempts better?
People can choose to feel how they want about how the points effect how they play. Many say it stressed them and made them feel useless. I myself felt 100x less stressed and more useful without the points involved.

It's important to consider how the difference effected the ones hosting Camp as well.

Mystical

Isabel
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Cult Classic
Most people already said what I wanted to, so I'll try to give other ideas or bw shorter on what has already been said.

Participation points: the thing is, without participation points competitive people or people with skill felt waaaaay more pressure to do well as opposed to having fun.

I think a combination of the two would be great, with maybe top 5 individual best scores on point games getting more points but maybe individuals who get a score above a certain number also getting points regardless of placement.

Side events:
For writing and art competitions have more time for them and make them one or two per cabin. Imo it promotes more teamwork. I suggested this in my cabin and Moxie said it would be messy but I remember one similar event on 4p where the writing event was cooperative. Sure there's always one or two people taking charge but others can give feedback and suggestions too. For the art event I guess there's not really a way to cooperate unless you could somehow share a digital picture?

For speedruns and smash/zu tourney competitions I didn't really participate. But in general, it could be nice to maybe be able to make a strategy/team with all the cabin or at least the competitive people. Also promotes teamwork and is clearer. For example 5 people from cabin 2 joined and they had to battle each other. This wouldn't happen or at least wouldn't happen as often if people only had two teams per cabin and then basically anyone can represent their cabin when they are available. Maybe even two competitive people can join the same account, like how it was done with marriprom. Otherwise it's really similar to any other tournament. (tbf, though, I don't really know how plausible this would be. Imo it could help a lot, but I don't know what everyone thinks).

The point wars were super fun and our alliance with cabin 4 was hilarious.

Main events

RPG again, not a lot of teamwork after some submissions and it wasn't always clear who should post the actions. Imo the game could be shorter, which could be done by making the map smaller from the beginning. I get why you did it, boss, and it was greatly organized, but I think people ended up burned out (or at least I did).

Superhero: This was awesome. I didn't get to discuss ideas with my team, but the result was great. I liked that this event did encourage teamwork. Maybe give more flexibility for the artwork so it isn't niche and pressuring for artists. And agree that clearer expectations + feedback would have been nice.

Scavenger Hunt + Puzzles:
Puzzles were too long. Some were too complex. Like the sound one... Eh. I think people have already commented a lot on these. I'm not against them completely, but they did became more important than the scavenger hunt itself. Maybe have them as bonus points instead of a requirement, but maybe also give a time range to complete them (instead of it being whoever solves everything first gets bonus points).
As a whole, I think you all from staff were on top of everything, which I really appreciate. And the amount of effort and preparation that was put into this was really great! It was very well organized and it showed. There was only the slight problem of that one flash game that wasn't working at first, but otherwise everything run very smoothly.

Puzzles and icons: correct me if I'm wrong but I think Chris had a lot to do with this idea? So shoutout. I really respect the work put into that. And you were really willing to help everyone out with what you could, not giving direct hints, but encouraging people to solve the puzzles.
Regine, you were also available with what you could, and yours and Flo's hmms were funny.
Curry, woah, thanks for counting the points and putting the start of day threads ready. And the idea to just post points later was a really good one. Though I think without puzzles being a requirement to get the scavenger hunt, the strain to put the page on time could decrease.
Boss: the EIM and RPG were real fun and you're the mastermind behind the event, so obvs big shoutout too.

Good luck if you do decide to do smash camp next year!

Extra notes: ._. memes can die ty

Last edited:

Kirichaki

Monokuma appears!
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Curry, Clam
Time Zone
EST
Thank you guys so much for your feedback so far! I think everyone can tell this was a very big experimental year for us. So I'd like to give some of our reasonings behind some of these decisions.

The biggest one I want to cover is participation points. I think it's clear by the comments in this thread that a majority of you liked participation points and I don't think we're opposed to bringing them back but I'd like to explain a little bit of the philosophy of why they're gone. Since I've been staff at SC we've had many years where some cabins were just blown out of the water, solely because of the lack of active members in their cabin. To some counselors it felt like SC was more luck of the sorting than actually winning since you could barely win events but as long as a majority of your cabin submitted for their participation points, you could still win with ease. An example being two cabins both with 20 members, one has 18 that submit participation each day, the other has 10. Even if the cabin that 10 gets say, in the old system, first and second, and then the cabin with 18 submit only get third, they will still likely be ahead because of just raw submit power. Many times we've had complaints about this.

With how points worked this year, except for a few exceptions like the speed runs, it was more about placings, which is why instead of top 3 we did top 10 to give a little bit more of that cushion and to let more people earn points since they wouldn't be getting them for just outright doing the activity. This way people had to show at least some amount of effort in order to actually win points. I definitely see the other side of the coin about how people with less time don't feel as useful since they don't have time to dedicate and grind something out to place but that's the downside to this system. It's the question of do we want cabins to win through just outright out participating other cabins, or do we want them to win by winning events?

Another way we tried to help out with this, in previous years we've had a lot of feedback to have more cabin-teamwork focused events, and so we wanted to add more of those so that those people who couldn't grind out the flash games, or dedicate multiple hours to writing, or do a BotW speedrun, etc. could still help by contributing their small amount of time to helping with things like Medley and Superhero to name the two biggest ones. Last time we ran Superhero was 2013 I believe and it was a free-for-all so we brought it back this time as a cabin-wide thing and I think personally that was a big success, seemed like a lot of people liked it.

We'll definitely have to talk about it more but I think personally, and I don't speak for any of the other staff, that maybe in retrospect races for puzzles was a bad idea. The last time we involved a race was either 2015 or 2016 and it was a race to see who could find all of the achievements in the Virtual Tour first and you'd get a 100 point bonus. Of course this was solved in the first few hours and people with normal sleeping schedules for the Americans, and people in Europe who would also be sleeping never got a chance to help out unless they either stayed up abnormally late, or woke up abnormally early. As far as the puzzles themselves go, I think Bubba did a fantastic job with them and I like them a lot. Sure they need to be polished a bit but I thought it was a really neat idea to add and whether or not it belongs tied to scavenger is the real question to answer.

I am all for giving the artists and writers more time if that's what people want. However that means many "main events" will overlap each other though unless we take some out and I'd like to ask:is having multiple "main events" going on the same day too stressful or was it okay? For instance Superhero day 2 and Medley day 1 overlapped, was that okay? Since if we want to give more time to art and writing, more of that will happen.

Shoutout to Lizzy for the posting day posts at midnight and then editing in scores later. That wasn't something that the staff decided to just do but rather something Lizzy suggested we do. So shoutout to her, it was so nice and a double win-win. You guys get day post on time, we get more stress-free counting time. This will definitely be a staple from now on.

One thing we've talked about briefly and are considering (NOT GUARANTEED) is making Discord a requirement. Is this a mistake? Something myself and some of the other staff have noticed is basically all of the "chat" for Smash Camp has moved off of the forums and onto the Discord, leaving the forum basically to a submission box. In the end this is about making friends and making good memories together and really I feel like the people not on the Discord aren't getting the full SC experience. Thoughts on this? I know some of our participants this year didn't have Discord and it's why we want to ask about this change rather than just do it.

One more question I'd like to bring out from myself is I wanted to know how you felt your cabin worked together this year? Since there were multiple more cabin-wide teamwork events this year did you feel as though your cabin worked together more this year than prior years if you participated in the past?

Please keep the responses coming! We've received a lot of really great feedback so far so please keep answering the first post questions and anything you'd like to respond to about this post, especially the portion about some of our philosophy change on participation. Do you think it's the right idea we have, or is just having participation points just more important in the grand scheme? If so that's perfectly reasonable I just want to provide a bit of our reasoning behind the decision.

Edit: I think the biggest thing that came out of these changes is actually what ended up happening. Out of all the cabins, Cabin 3 had by far the best teamwork amongst their cabin and lowkey I'm really happy they won after watching them battle throughout this week.

Last edited:

BZWGolem

Conspirator☆
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Idea about participation points: maybe in the future we could try a solution in between? For example, the participation points obtained could be a looot smaller than for getting high scores? Like maybe even 1-2 points or something.
This way they would matter a bit, but not as much as before. Maybe we could balance it like that (maybe).

Also, since checking scores is a pain for the staff. I'd consider if we could make the submission process a bit different.
For example - maybe each cabin could make a google doc (spreadsheet) where they write down their scores with links to the screenshots. One spreadsheet for an event.
This way, to find out the winners, the staff could simply sort the table by score. For winners only, check if the winning scores match the one on the screenshot. For the rest (assuming that we have participation points) only quickly verify the screenshots without checking scores.

About Discord:
I don't think that being active on Discord should be a requirement since not everybody has the time. But going there at least once should.
Since I don't use discord, for half of the camp I was wondering "where are the guys talking about this stuff and making all the decisions?".
Yea, stupid me xD
Anyway, if I was required to go there at least once then I wouldn't be confused for the first days, lol.

God

a Mess
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
EST
Discord: Yes, it should be a requirement. Even if you're not active, you should be checking in at least once a day imo. That's where everything is posted first anyways, it gives you kind of an edge over if you were just on the forums.

As for another thought of mine. This pissed me off a lot. People that join Smash Camp only to do one thing i.e ONE event then go AWOL, or people that sign up, get placed in a cabin - then completely vanish from Discord/the forums, SHOULD BE TEMP BANNED. From the next Smash Camp. If they do it again like the year after, don't let them back in, period. Do not purposely **** over your cabin just because you are salty you lost the one event you joined for or w/e. I am not naming names, but if the shoe fits, fix it. It's worse if you leave after losing than if you just join to join and then go completely missing. [edit] Obviously it's a low chance that they join again, but if they try they should not be let in. And I am happy to give out names in private to the SC staff for this matter.

I probably will not be signing up next year if countermeasures like that aren't put in place. It gets super aggravating that the staff haven't seemed to care enough to put anything in place the first few years this happened, but I want to see some positive change. (: Also sorry but I'm sick of censoring myself or holding in thoughts so this is unfiltered. Though I guess it's not really a matter of caring, it's just that... kind of hard to monitor. You legit will have to have a banlist either private or public that's always accessible to the SC staff in some special place.

The puzzles were great, I didn't understand them at first and got pissed off but it really started making sense lmfao. the 23-2 being in another puzzle but literally being "twenty one" i think was the funniest thing done this SC ngl.

Participation points should be brought back, maybe just modified this time.

Lizzy's suggestion was amazing and I second that. Should be brought back next year imo.

Medley and Superhero overlapping I will not complain about. I think that's fine, so long as it's only 2 overlapping. Not like... a sig contest, a superhero thing and medley. All at once would be hell lmfao

I liked the teamwork, Cabin 4 was a little whack at times but I think we cooperated very well together and I have to credit Kat and Brian with that. Delta was also very very active in basically all of the calls and puzzles, so he gets a shoutout too. And Rainbow with the Cabin 1 badge lmao

I agree on 3 having the best teamwork, but holy **** Kat played the events so well. Literally Mafia'd them and I was purely in love with that whole side of things, the two-faced competition can be really fun lmao. Icon hunt was prob my favorite thing this year aside from the puzzles. Scav hunt again, like I said before, was a little too hard for me cos I live in a town of 200 ish. :x