Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Imagine if everything is setup on discord next year and he still sells the cabin out
Hey Atlus, I just said to keep things cool and to avoid making things personal/heated. In the future please don't do something after a staff member asks members not to.

Felly

not in love tonight
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
In the cardboard box in front of your house.
AKA
Audra
Time Zone
EST/GMT-5
For what it's worth, it would be possible to fully move over to Discord, but it'd be a lot more trouble than it's actually worth. We'd lose a lot of the pretty posts that we get on the forums, for starters. Discord is also bound to a 2000 character limit per post, so each post would have to be divided up among several Discord messages. Yeah, there's emojis that could beautify them, but that's just a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

There would also have to be a number of channels created so that cabins couldn't see each others' submissions (at least until after the day was over), and instead of each person's submissions being all in one post, it'd be spread out across multiple posts, possibly throughout the course of the whole day. (Which btw, I liked that!)

At the end of the day, I think the moral of the story here is to make Discord mandatory and promote it more next year; make sure everyone who signs up gets an invite if they're not already in the server, whether it be from camp staff or their cabin's counselor or just someone else from their cabin. Stress the importance of Discord as a hub for getting to know your cabin better, as well as members from other cabins, and just a way to get quick and easy info and have some fun; stress the importance that you do not need to download another program to use Discord, that you can go right to their website and open it in browser. Find ways to make it easier for discussion to be facilitated on Discord, rather than having to use the forums for it all.

One thing that I do want to suggest for next year though, but perhaps giving counselors the ability to create channels within their cabin's category on Discord? On the forums, it's possible for us to create different threads for different events; things like the superhero planning and maybe even medley could've benefitted from having their own channels within the cabin categories, or just any event that really warranted regular discussions for planning purposes. It'd be easier to do backreading and keep up with the discussion on that particular topic, rather than having everything mashed up in one channel, where things can get lost or missed more easily. I'm not sure if this is possible to do without also giving counselors permissions to see other chats (it's been a while since I've really had to manage a server, and even then, this wasn't something I really messed with), but if it is, it might be nice to have so we can have a general chat for cabin bonding/whatever else we want to discuss and then individual chats for bigger events, like superhero, medley maybe, EiM, etc. (If not, camp staff could do it, but I know y'all got a lot going on as it is, so I was just looking for a way to divide up the work.)

God

a Mess
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Account Disabled
AKA
Alex
Time Zone
EST
One thing that I do want to suggest for next year though, but perhaps giving counselors the ability to create channels within their cabin's category on Discord?
Yes please, this 100%. Not sure why they weren't able to originally (probably was just skipped over and never thought about) but it would be AWESOME to have "Day 1 puzzles" and "Day 1 submissions" channels, for example. Blessss

Would make it really easy to primarily use Discord but of course announce everything and do Smash Camp on the forums as normal. Just more accessible for mobile people/people on the go.