Smash Camp interest

Kirichaki

Monokuma appears!
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Curry, Clam
Time Zone
EST
Okay I'll keep this short, sweet and to the point. How many people are interested in participating in Smash Camp this year? Frankly Boss, myself and the other staff aren't overly bubbling with motivation to run things this year. So how many of you would participate and BE ACTIVE DAILY on Smash Camp this year? If we don't feel like there's enough people we're kind of at a point where we've had a good run and very willing to end it where it is. If there are a good chunk of people that want to do it then we'll do it but we don't really want to put in the mountain of effort SC is for little return of something we aren't dying to get started on.

Last edited:

SarasaKat

bibb pretty
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Kat
Time Zone
EST
Honestly? If you guys aren't feeling it, cancel it. We can always bring it back in the future, but I don't want y'all to have to spend your summers slaving away at something you aren't really into, regardless of how any of us feel.

Since you're asking for my opinion, I think you all know that I'd basically be there every day by default, but I can share in the sentiment that I'm not as excited about it as I've been in other years.

Fafrir

:]
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Ashley, Scraftato
Time Zone
Saskatchewan
3DS FC
5215-0457-5124
Switch FC
SW-5955-0028-4991
IGN
Spoony/Salsa
I agree with Kat. While I would love to help out with running events or participating, it's unfair for you to run an event you aren't overly enthused about and suddenly get burnt out/disappointed with it. I should probably note that this year's Marriprom didn't have enough participation compared to last year's so I'm not sure how many people will be willing to show up for Smash Camp.

FWIW, I am excited for Smash Camp but I'm also okay if it doesn't happen this year/last year's was the last.

monandd

Junior Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
UTC-4:00
If I may, I have a question: what is the Smash Camp?

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
Dead forums sorry :(

Would love it if the forums can be active again before we even talk about forum events lol

Reactions: SAF

Would love it if the forums can be active again before we even talk about forum events lol
The concept of forums has been dead for like 5 years now and this event still always gets massive activity.

With that being said, probably not gonna be good if were doing it for the sake of doing it. I doubt I will have the time to participate regardless, though.

Thundawave

♪ Aroma White ♪
Staff Emeritus
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Thunda, Regine
Time Zone
EST
3DS FC
4184-1904-4290
Switch FC
SW-2896-2294-7693
IGN
Regine
@monandd Smash Camp is a yearly summer forum event where members compete in four cabins (teams) for a week in a bunch of challenges like flash games, scavenger hunts, art, writing, tournaments, and more. You can check out last year's camp here.

I've summarized the leaders' thoughts on the matter ever since we began discussing whether we should run it or not.

Why we should do it:
- People will have lots of time if they're in quarantine
- Practically guaranteed fun
- We're here and able to pull it off again - it's a lot easier for us to just do it because we've vastly improved our efficiency in the past few years

Why we shouldn't do it:
- Prom was low in participation and interaction, which doesn't bode well for future events
- Scavenger hunts will be less creative or even impossible thanks to quarantine
- Motivation is currently low among the hosts
- Bubba's the only admin among the Smash Camp leaders, making it rather difficult for us to handle cabin assignments (bro this is hectic business)

So really, it's up to all of you whether we should hold Smash Camp this year. We have the ability to do so, but we want to make sure it would be worth your time.

Reactions: SAF

SAF

Second Violinist
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
People of Play
AKA
Sania
Time Zone
+7 GMT
IGN
can be whatever
As for myself, I'm personally down for participation, but what's the point if the hosts aren't even enthusiastic to, uh, host this year's Smash Camp? If that's the case...

Kirichaki

Monokuma appears!
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Curry, Clam
Time Zone
EST
For me, seeing others excitement is what gives me the motivation to do SC which is why I told people if this gets a lot of traction I'm still up for doing it. On a base level where I look forward to doing it because I MYSELF love doing it though is kind of gone as I've now gotten older. Now I'd be happy to do it, but only knowing people are really looking forward to it. SC is a lot of time and effort people don't see so I don't particularly want to put my heart into something (SC is very personal to me) when I know I'm not fully personally invested as much and people aren't eagerly anticipating it. It also doesn't feel fair to both the campers and to the event to do it just to say "hey we did SC...go team."

Basically, I don't really wanna do it on a purely personal level but if others really want it to happen then I am happy to still do it. That's just speaking for myself though and not any of the other staff.

seaturtle

Spirit Bridge
Administrator
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Chris
Time Zone
MST
Switch FC
SW-3906-8627-4487
Echoing Curry a bit here - I'm happy to help host, but a big factor is just if it'd even be worth it. It takes a lot of effort to make happen, both from the leaders and from the campers. If there's not gonna be a very good turnout, trying to build excitement and run it would be more discouraging than anything else.

If there is gonna be a turnout, I don't think any of us would really have a problem with hosting. I guess I'm only speaking for myself, but nothing on that end has changed a ton. It's less of a "we aren't feeling it but if you want we'll throw something together" and more of a "we have concerns and want to make sure they're addressed before doing anything", if that makes sense.

The concept of forums has been dead for like 5 years now and this event still always gets massive activity.
Hard agree with Bowser on this point, despite the forum activity I do think SC would be fine as long as there's interest. It's always been an event that pulls people who aren't usually active anyways, so I don't think the current state of the forums should be a final answer as to whether or not we host it.

Calaf

Advanced Trainer
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
Time Zone
GMT+1
I had a blast last year, so personally, I'd love to participate again this year. However, I definitely understand your concerns, seeing as how Prom didn't see as much participation recently. I completely agree with what others have said in that it's most important that you guys on the staff are feeling up for it. I'd love to see SC happen again, but I would totally understand if you guys decide it would be best not to go through with it.

gylfie

i know i haven't been able to participate in any previous years but by the looks of,, everything that's going on, i'm relatively sure i'll have time this year 😅

Typhlosion

Flaming Torch
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Ben, A_T
Time Zone
US Central (GMT -6:00)
3DS FC
2724-0144-2557
IGN
Ben
I'm in the same boat as Megan. I've never done SC before, not always by choice but sometimes, but it's always looked like a ton of fun and the prospects look good this summer that I'll be able to participate. I'd love it if SC were to happen.

However, it wouldn't be nearly as big a strain on me or any one participant as it will be on the hosts. As someone who's run events before I understand that. This should not at all be something you have to force yourselves to do because it should be enjoyable for everyone.

Many people are comparing this to MarriProm and trying to project based off of that, but I don't think that's entirely reasonable or accurate. MarriProm has only been around for three years and in that time it's barely left its experimental phase. Smash Camp is a far more well-established event with a much longer and more illustrious history. Furthermore, MP has only ever been an event for this particular forum and community. One of the core ideas of SC is that it draws in people from other online communities, so the state of Marriland alone shouldn't be what's judged here. Its impact on the hosts aside for the moment, holding Smash Camp could really only help the forums in the long run by introducing some new faces.

theDINOsaurus

Golden Flower
Rainbow Rocket Executive
AKA
Dino, Christy
I can’t really say for sure what things will be like in a few months but in theory I’d be able to participate, probably a bit less actively than last year due to the change in my work hours. I’m kind of in the boat that I’ll be fine either way whether it happens this year or not.

BasedJarrod

The Ruler of Space and Time
Rainbow Rocket Grunt
AKA
Jarrod
Time Zone
CST
IGN
Jarrod
Echoing Curry a bit here - I'm happy to help host, but a big factor is just if it'd even be worth it. It takes a lot of effort to make happen, both from the leaders and from the campers. If there's not gonna be a very good turnout, trying to build excitement and run it would be more discouraging than anything else.

If there is gonna be a turnout, I don't think any of us would really have a problem with hosting. I guess I'm only speaking for myself, but nothing on that end has changed a ton. It's less of a "we aren't feeling it but if you want we'll throw something together" and more of a "we have concerns and want to make sure they're addressed before doing anything", if that makes sense.

Hard agree with Bowser on this point, despite the forum activity I do think SC would be fine as long as there's interest. It's always been an event that pulls people who aren't usually active anyways, so I don't think the current state of the forums should be a final answer as to whether or not we host it.
Nah I’m sorry bro :(

Nick!

Big Gamer God
Staff Emeritus
People of Play Counselor
League Champion
AKA
Nick
if its hosted at all **** the forums entirely just do it all on discord